• March 18, 2019, 07:19:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to ILLINOIS PRISON TALK, www.illinoisprisontalk.org - A Family Support Forum and Information Center for those interacting with the Illinois Department of Corrections. IPT members are comprised of family/friends of inmates, prison reform activists, ex-offenders, prisoner rights advocates and others interested in the well-being of Illinois prisoners. We encourage open discussion but please be tolerant of other's opinions. This website is protected by Copyright © 2006-2019. All rights reserved. There are some private forums that require registration, please register.

Author Topic: Vending Machines & Cards  (Read 97255 times)

Offline babygurl23

Re: Vending Machines & Cards
« Reply #200 on: December 16, 2011, 09:04:59 PM »
I have a vending card from Menard (the MSU) not real sure if it matters which Menard its used at but I'm sure there is still money on it if anyone is interested send me a PM & I will put it in the mail I pick up here in a few days @ the max of course kinda nervous but I'm sure all will work out just have no further use for the card

Offline katherineb

« Reply #201 on: April 14, 2012, 03:06:46 PM »
I have 2 vending machine cards from Stateville that I know have $$ on them and I will hopefully never be returning as my BF was moved to BC this week so if anyone wants them I would be happy to send them to you just PM me...

"He who has a 'why' to live for can bear almost any 'how'"     - Nietzsche

Offline courtcakes3

« Reply #202 on: May 19, 2012, 12:59:43 PM »
How do i get one of these debit cards my first visit is next month??

Offline destinswife

« Reply #203 on: May 19, 2012, 01:32:59 PM »

They have a machine there that you purchase them at.

Offline courtcakes3

« Reply #204 on: May 19, 2012, 01:55:46 PM »
ok thank you

Offline Angela

• Mod Squad
« Reply #205 on: May 19, 2012, 03:42:27 PM »

The Correctional Officers will explain everything to you once you get inside. Most places it take $5.00 to purchase the card. Then you are allowed to put up to $40.00 on the card. You can always call the prison to make for sure if money is tight. The machines that I have used takes ones, Fives, Tens & Twenties. The machine will tell you total if the Total is too high and will not  let you proceed.

Hope this information helps give you an idea of what to expect.

Good Luck and have a Good First Visit.

Offline Crowe29

• I Will Love You Till They Take My Heart
« Reply #206 on: June 29, 2012, 12:20:40 PM »
I have a vending machine card for Illinois River Correctional Center (IRCC) with about $23 on it (I think...could be a bit less, but it's def got $20 on there for sure). Please let me know if you need it, pm me me your address and I will send it out right away. My hunny bunny will be home next week and neither of us wanna look at that piece of plastic ever again.

Offline eljefe52

« Reply #207 on: July 03, 2012, 12:32:48 AM »
I have a card for the Decatur Women's CC if someone needs it.  There's $25 or more on it.  Just PM me and I'll send it right out.  I brought my L/O home Friday, so don't have a need for it anymore.  If you can use it, you are more than welcome to it.

Robin

Offline Iaminawe

« Reply #208 on: July 03, 2012, 04:27:17 PM »
HI All!

Curious??? How much do you suggest I put on the vending card for a (2 people) 2 day visit?  One day is 6hrs and the next is for 4hrs.

thanks

Offline TimeStandsStill

• Mod Squad
« Reply #209 on: July 03, 2012, 08:15:38 PM »
When I visit for 2 days, I put as close to $40 as I can get on the first day.  Then, I see how much is left and that determines how much, if any, I add on the second day.  It also depends on if your LO is a big eater and how hungry you think you'll both be! 

Offline Crowe29

• I Will Love You Till They Take My Heart
« Reply #210 on: July 04, 2012, 01:20:03 AM »
The most you can put on there is $40 anyway so I suggest putting that on first and working from there.

Offline RdRunner75

« Reply #211 on: July 04, 2012, 02:30:15 AM »
Wow, we only get to load $30. It sucks because it's him, myself, our teenager, and toddler. The baby is on formula so no worries with her. We usually try to eat really good before visiting, so he gets the most of it. $30 goes fast with 4 people.

Offline jaf

« Reply #212 on: July 04, 2012, 07:41:43 AM »
Wow, we only get to load $30. It sucks because it's him, myself, our teenager, and toddler. The baby is on formula so no worries with her. We usually try to eat really good before visiting, so he gets the most of it. $30 goes fast with 4 people.

Is there any reason they wouldn't let two of you bring in a card?

Offline RdRunner75

« Reply #213 on: July 04, 2012, 11:21:47 AM »

You know I have often wondered that myself. I do have 2 cards. I lost my first one and a CO at the gate house gave me another one someone turned in, but then when I got home my daughter found the original one. I've wondered if I load one and she loads one. I should ask the next time I go to visit.

Offline destinswife

« Reply #214 on: July 04, 2012, 11:43:00 AM »

You know I have often wondered that myself. I do have 2 cards. I lost my first one and a CO at the gate house gave me another one someone turned in, but then when I got home my daughter found the original one. I've wondered if I load one and she loads one. I should ask the next time I go to visit.

We have 3 cards. It funny how the different prisons are. I have loaded 60.00 before on a visit.

Offline pats

« Reply #215 on: July 04, 2012, 04:13:44 PM »
We never go without bringing two cards.  A few years back our cards got an "error" reading and was no good.  So, we sat there extremely upset because we couldn't buy anything for him.  An extremely kind person heard what had happened and brought over one hamburger and Coke to the table.  I would have given her anything for it we were so thankful, but of course we couldn't.  So now we bring in two cards and put money on each of them so that will never happen again.  We did get an error reading lately on a card, but it did work on another machine.  Wierd!!!  I think the rule is one card per visitor.

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #216 on: July 04, 2012, 04:31:43 PM »
From IDOC website:

Information about Vending Machines

The visiting rooms at the facilities offer a variety of products for purchase. Outside vendors own and operate the machines and will differ from facility to facility.
Vending machine items may only be purchased using a debit card.  Visitors may purchase a debit card at the facility, normally at the gatehouse. The price of the debit card will vary by facility depending upon the vendor providing the service. Each facility will have a limit on the amount of cash that may be put upon the card at any given time. The limit will be posted by the debit card machine.

Offenders cannot handle or be in possession of the card at any time. Debit cards are the sole responsibility of the purchaser.

There are no refunds for unused money remaining on the card for any reason other than a defective card, so only put enough on the card for the single visit. Cards are only good at the facility where purchased, if the offender transfers, a new card at the current facility will need to be used.

In the instance of a defective card or a mis-vend (charged the card, but no product delivered to visitor), immediately notify the Visiting Room Officer. They will serve as the witness of the problem. The Officer will have a form available for the visitor to complete and leave with the Officer.

Any vending items purchased must be consumed during the visit and may not be carried out of the visiting room.

Do not value the "things" you have in your life - value "who" you have in your life....

“Instead of thinking about what you're missing, try thinking about what you have that everyone else is missing.”

Offline destinswife

« Reply #217 on: July 04, 2012, 04:40:22 PM »
In the instance of a defective card or a mis-vend (charged the card, but no product delivered to visitor), immediately notify the Visiting Room Officer. They will serve as the witness of the problem. The Officer will have a form available for the visitor to complete and leave with the Officer.

This happened to me it wasn't giving the sodas and I told the guard and she was like oh well I can't do anything about it.

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #218 on: July 04, 2012, 04:59:03 PM »
I had problems a few times, took the money off the cards and never gave me the food/etc., so I went to the CO filled out the form and was refunded each time.  They sent a check in the mail.

Maybe  you have to ask for the form, they don't always offer it.
Do not value the "things" you have in your life - value "who" you have in your life....

“Instead of thinking about what you're missing, try thinking about what you have that everyone else is missing.”

Offline jaf

« Reply #219 on: July 04, 2012, 06:04:29 PM »

This happened to me it wasn't giving the sodas and I told the guard and she was like oh well I can't do anything about it.

Isn't there a box and some cards near the vending machines?  You might not have a witness, but there should still be a form!  And really, the CO probably didn't actually witness the card not working anyway, and they can't fix it.  I've wondered if it does any good to fill out a form and submit it.  I've not had reason to try it out.

Glad we've had this conversation,  I think we'll start taking two!  This last visit when I first got in there mine wouldn't read the first three times I put it in the vending machine, and I was in that same panic mode, Pats - just to think I wouldn't be able to get him a Mt Dew and a cheeseburger was awful, because I know how much he looks forward to them.  But then I went to the pop machine and it worked there, and then it worked at the other machine too.