• March 18, 2019, 07:21:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to ILLINOIS PRISON TALK, www.illinoisprisontalk.org - A Family Support Forum and Information Center for those interacting with the Illinois Department of Corrections. IPT members are comprised of family/friends of inmates, prison reform activists, ex-offenders, prisoner rights advocates and others interested in the well-being of Illinois prisoners. We encourage open discussion but please be tolerant of other's opinions. This website is protected by Copyright © 2006-2019. All rights reserved. There are some private forums that require registration, please register.

Author Topic: Vending Machines & Cards  (Read 97260 times)

Offline Favored23

• Thank you Lord!
Re: Vending Machines & Cards
« Reply #180 on: August 12, 2011, 02:44:17 PM »
I wouldnt give it to the CO either... i would trust some inmates over them.
I never had it happened to me and if i were to find one i wouldnt use it. I would wait and see if i can see the person in a frenzy trying to find theirs. cuz lord knows some people are hurting so bad and just to give this little something to their loved ones on a visit makes the world of a difference

EXACTLY!  
Psalm 146:7 (NIV)

7 He upholds the cause of the oppressed
       and gives food to the hungry.
       The LORD sets prisoners free!!

Offline holterfield2

« Reply #181 on: August 12, 2011, 03:10:38 PM »
The c/o's at EMCC are really nice on the weekends. Our last name was on the card because they wrote it on there when I first bought it. I'm sure they could've went around and checked everyones cards if they wanted to, but I know they don't like dealing with that s*** anyways, so I just kept quiet about it, and learned my lesson. Bet I never forget another one after that incident...

Offline Favored23

• Thank you Lord!
« Reply #182 on: August 12, 2011, 03:19:30 PM »
Can you believe I still forget mine?!  It's funny because my husband watches me and when I am headed back without the card he signals me to turn around and get my card.  Kinda funny!

Offline Ira

« Reply #183 on: August 12, 2011, 04:51:31 PM »
BTW, we always go to get food together. Once he wanted to go get it himself, but the CO told him that I have to go with him, he can't do it alone. Does anyone know why? Or is it only at Taylorville?

Offline jcruz1104

• Always & Forever "Just Us"
« Reply #184 on: August 12, 2011, 04:53:02 PM »
normally they arent even allowed to get up. and im sure its for security reasons
& he said to me "the level you think i love you is way more then you can imagine, we all we got"

Offline TimeStandsStill

• Mod Squad
« Reply #185 on: August 12, 2011, 05:23:49 PM »
BTW, we always go to get food together. Once he wanted to go get it himself, but the CO told him that I have to go with him, he can't do it alone. Does anyone know why? Or is it only at Taylorville?

Maybe it's a Taylorville thing.  At BMR, inmates are not allowed to go up to the vending machines alone or with someone, and there is a sign posted stating that.  The inmates can only get up to use the bathroom after asking the guard who then will unlock the door.

Offline Ira

« Reply #186 on: August 12, 2011, 06:47:37 PM »
Oh wow!!!  :wc26:

Offline holterfield2

« Reply #187 on: August 12, 2011, 11:30:20 PM »
It's because the inmates are NOT allowed to even TOUCH the vending cards. It's considered currency, so therefore it's contraband. Theyre not allowed to walk to the vending machines at all at EMCC. It sucks, but its the rule.

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #188 on: August 13, 2011, 07:00:01 AM »
It's because the inmates are NOT allowed to even TOUCH the vending cards. It's considered currency, so therefore it's contraband. Theyre not allowed to walk to the vending machines at all at EMCC. It sucks, but its the rule.

Yep, you are right.   

Ira, you can consider yourself lucky, because that right to go to vending machines together, doesn't happen at other prisons in Illinois anymore, T'ville may be the only one left!
Do not value the "things" you have in your life - value "who" you have in your life....

“Instead of thinking about what you're missing, try thinking about what you have that everyone else is missing.”

Offline Favored23

• Thank you Lord!
« Reply #189 on: August 13, 2011, 09:21:32 AM »
Yes, that ended years ago at Dixon.

Offline chantygirl

« Reply #190 on: August 13, 2011, 10:16:04 AM »
At Menard, I was told on the first visit that the vending machine card had to be kept in my pocket.  We could sit the locker key on the table, but, the card had to stay tucked away out of sight.  I always thought that was kind of odd, seeing as how they don't like you to put your hands in your pocket or under the table during the visit lol.. but, IDOC has reasons for their strange rules, even if we don't agree/understand them.  Someone had to do something at some point to break the more lax rules.

Offline Crowe29

• I Will Love You Till They Take My Heart
« Reply #191 on: August 13, 2011, 12:07:55 PM »
They can't walk up and use the vending machines at IL River either...never heard of the card in pocket rule, though i keep that and my locker key in there any way.

Offline free2beeme39

• I'll Luv You Forever Jerry!
« Reply #192 on: August 13, 2011, 06:41:20 PM »
Vandalia work camp the inmates are allowed to go to the machines with you but not at the main prison in Vandalia.

holterfield2 when I was at Vandalia last a lady lost her card & reported it to the C/O...He walked thru the whole visiting room askin very loudly who found a vending card? An older couple finally admitted they had found it. The C/O gave it right back to the lady. That doesn't happen very often so it was nice to see her get it back.

Terri  :wc69:

Offline bmonska

« Reply #193 on: August 14, 2011, 04:33:57 AM »
Pittsfield Work Camp doesn't allow them to get up and go to the vending machines either so I always try to sit at a table where he can see the machines and what's inside them.

Offline chantygirl

« Reply #194 on: August 14, 2011, 06:58:16 AM »
We don't have a choice of seats at Menard, the guard chooses where you sit.  But, he's told me that they eat a lot of chicken, and every once in awhile they'll get pork.  So, I always choose some type of beef from the machines for him.  He absolutely LOVES the burgers they have in there.  He swears it tastes just like the ones he used to cook on the grill.  I think that if his grilling tasted like that, then he sucked as a cook   :wc41:  lol

Offline Pamalynn

« Reply #195 on: August 14, 2011, 08:35:31 AM »
At Jacksonville the inmates are only allowed to get up to use the restroom too, after getting permission first.

I also look for burgers in the vending machine because J says they never get beef. Last night he told me they had hamburger stew which consisted of nothing but potatoes and corn (where's the beef or even soy?)

I have left my card in the machine many times, but I'm always checking to make sure I have it so I realize it quickly. It fell out of my pocket once when I was leaving & I realized that it was missing when I took my stuff out of the locker. I mentioned it to the CO at the front desk and she had somebody go back to the visitation room & get it for me. Right after that I wrote my initials on the back of the card with permanent marker.
You can search the world for happiness, but you won't find it. Happiness is the way you travel, not a destination.

Offline Crowe29

• I Will Love You Till They Take My Heart
« Reply #196 on: August 14, 2011, 02:31:53 PM »
Now that's a good idea...intitial the card...i'mma go do that right now. Mine fell outta my pocket once too...but my B noticed it on the floor when it was time to leave so thankfully everything turned out ok.

Offline jenplus2

• Appreciate & love now, tomorrow's not guaranteed
« Reply #197 on: August 15, 2011, 07:41:06 AM »
At Graham, we are appointed a table, they are not allowed to get up for any reason until bathroom break is called (once every 4 hours) and they had me write my last name on the card @ the 1st visit. They wouldnt allow a 4 year old to go to the potty!
~The "Not Knowing" and/or "Uncertainty" is the hardest part of any situation~
~I still have dreams, many in fact. However, as time marches on they become more focused and realistic~

Offline Ira

« Reply #198 on: August 15, 2011, 02:29:28 PM »
The more I read here about other prisons, the more blessed I feel with my husband being in Taylorville..... And I always keep telling this to him, so he will not screw it up for us. Thanks again for this site!!!!

Offline mlus2011

« Reply #199 on: October 26, 2011, 01:51:01 PM »
Anyone who has a l/o at Graham and visits, I have a vending card I no longer need and am willing to send it to you. I do not remember how much is on it. Message me if you are interested. I do not want anything for it, just Pay it Forward!