• March 18, 2019, 07:16:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to ILLINOIS PRISON TALK, www.illinoisprisontalk.org - A Family Support Forum and Information Center for those interacting with the Illinois Department of Corrections. IPT members are comprised of family/friends of inmates, prison reform activists, ex-offenders, prisoner rights advocates and others interested in the well-being of Illinois prisoners. We encourage open discussion but please be tolerant of other's opinions. This website is protected by Copyright © 2006-2019. All rights reserved. There are some private forums that require registration, please register.

Author Topic: Vending Machines & Cards  (Read 97253 times)

Offline bmonska

Re: Vending Machines & Cards
« Reply #160 on: August 11, 2011, 02:49:09 AM »
Depends on the facility. It seems that the prices are different most everywhere. Soda's run anywhere between 1.00 and 1.75. Sandwiches where I visit run around 5.50. Other items like bags of chips or candy bars vary but are usually under a dollar. It really depends on how much food your LO wants to eat and whatever amount you feel comfortable adding to your card. If you put more on your card than you use in that visit, the unused portion stays on your card so you can use it at other visits. The vending machines can definitely get expensive depending on how hungry you guys are.

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #161 on: August 11, 2011, 06:37:20 AM »
Are the vending machines expensive? I was going to put 10$ on there I don't eat alot so I should b okay

You have to bring some extra money (single $$$)  to buy the card first, up to $5  and $10 won't buy much if you are planning on getting your LO something to eat too.  Have a good visit!
Do not value the "things" you have in your life - value "who" you have in your life....

“Instead of thinking about what you're missing, try thinking about what you have that everyone else is missing.”

Offline webmari

« Reply #162 on: August 11, 2011, 07:32:23 AM »
It's amazing that some are allowed to put amounts higher than 20 $ on there. At Stateville it is 20 $ and sometimes when I have some left over they still let me add 20 and I have some more. But when I still have almost 20 on there then I can't add any. Well, it is all quite expensive and I had to learn the trick with the sliding doors like not pulling too early and too much on them. Lost some money that way too and sometimes they just don't work, sometimes the food does not fall down, just stays on the edge. Really annoying.
My LO once told me to take this honeybun and put it in the microwave only for a short time so it gets warm and then it tastes very good. I first could not imagine how that would taste but he said he wants one like that and then I can taste it. It was really delicious so now I will try that every time I go. Sometimes our LO's have good ideas and recipes too  :wc1:

Offline jenplus2

• Appreciate & love now, tomorrow's not guaranteed
« Reply #163 on: August 11, 2011, 08:05:09 AM »
At Graham, $10 won't go far at all. Remember your LO hasn't had soda or "treats" in awhile (depending on how long they've been in) and on that 1st visit, it seems they want a little of EVERYTHING! Good luck on your 1st visit, I hope it goes greeeaaat!
~The "Not Knowing" and/or "Uncertainty" is the hardest part of any situation~
~I still have dreams, many in fact. However, as time marches on they become more focused and realistic~

Offline lurios2

« Reply #164 on: August 11, 2011, 01:25:10 PM »
My baby and I eat about $20 worth of food/drink per visit on average. Hill lets us put up to $40 on the card, so I don't have to worry about running out or needing a second card like I did at Stateville. Sunday he was a real fat @&&, lol. He ate like 3 philly cheesesteak sandwiches, a pizza, and a juice. I like spoiling him when he lets me  :wc62:
~People don't care how much you know, until they know how much you care~

Offline hisrealistchick

« Reply #165 on: August 11, 2011, 01:54:31 PM »
but the only problem is money is so tight I'm using my school money to go c him and he should b grateful that I'm there i wish i can spoil him like alot but right now it isn't a good time i feel embarrassed saying this online

Love is missing someone whenever you're apart, but some how feeling warm inside because you're close in heart.&&His Queen Waiting On Him To C

Offline Bobsgirl17

« Reply #166 on: August 11, 2011, 02:35:42 PM »
hisrealistchick...Do NOT feel embarrassed!   :wc30:  Though times have hit us all.  And you are going to school on top of working.  And you are so right, he should be grateful that you come to visit and buy him something to eat.  No matter how much it is.  A suggestion, popcorn is at most of the prisons.  It is 90 cents to $1, candy bar for about $1 and soda is about $1.50 each.  I see plenty of people buy just those things.

Offline lurios2

« Reply #167 on: August 11, 2011, 03:00:03 PM »
Don't be embarrassed at all! I'm on a budget myself. More like WE are on a budget, because if I'm on a budget, that means he is on a budget, lol. I work full time and am starting grad school part time in the fall as well. I already told him our budget, so he needs to make do with what I can send him/put on the phone. I will use my left over "daily allowance" money to finance trips to see him, and when I can, I carpool with other people. I put a limit of 1 phone call a week, and this week he called twice. I JUST told him of the new budget this sunday, so he heard an earful when he called unscheduled. I told him yesterday, "Babe, you don't understand how important it is for me to keep this budget. I have like, $140 to my name until payday. YOU have more money than me right now! Please respect what I can manage for us." So now he understands, and is even more greatful for everything I do for us. I know your LO knows this too. We are good women, and I know our men better see this!
~People don't care how much you know, until they know how much you care~

Offline jcruz1104

• Always & Forever "Just Us"
« Reply #168 on: August 11, 2011, 03:01:00 PM »
hisrealistchick~~ NEVER be afriaid embaressed to say anything here. most to all of us have had to cut andthere has been many of us wishing we can do more, but we just cant. As long as your l/o understands and makes you feel ok thats all that matters WE will never judge you we all understand!

i couldnt send $ to my hubby and for once i felt like i let him down becuz i couldnt do something for him but to me its US, i had to use the $ to pay bills & buy diapers and it was $ i was saving for his TV, so it was almost 150 and took me forever to save it, but i needed it and I tryed to not use it but it was him that said USE it am i nuts not to, and i used it cuz yes i had to but i felt for the 1st time i let him down, i dont know why but i felt like that, and i told him that, and he told me i was CRAZY that i never let him down and hes so proud of me cuz theres alot of girls that wouldnt put up with this or him for as long as i have and by this time they would have RAN, but i didnt and i take care of bills,kids and household.. OUR life....  it might seem dumb for me to feel that why but here i know i can put it out there and not feel out of place
& he said to me "the level you think i love you is way more then you can imagine, we all we got"

Offline Ira

« Reply #169 on: August 11, 2011, 03:28:54 PM »
When I go see my husband (Taylorville), I put $30 on a card. I eat a cheeseburger from McDonald's on my way so I would not have to buy those expensive sandwiches for myself (from $3.50 to $5). Sodas are $1.75. Chips $1.20. We do not buy anything else (sometimes pop corn). And they allow to put up to $40 on the card.

Offline scotts baby 08

• <3 he is my Heart, he is my Best Friend, he is my Life, he is my World. He is my Soul Mate. <3
  • Yesterday isn't here soon enough!
« Reply #170 on: August 11, 2011, 03:57:16 PM »
 :wc30: Jcruz.. i ditto what you said.. i went thru that also.. and it is hard.. and i always made sure that i had money on the last bit that we had done ... but on this bit, circumstances are different and a lot harder, the first time i went to see hubby i did not have money to take for a card, let alone money to put on one..
and if it had not been for someone on here that gave me their un-needed card, i would not have one now..

and i cant thank that person enough for caring and sharing enough..

but hubby knows, if i do not have the money to put on the card and feed him, he does not care, he says he would rather see me and hold me then to eat or drink any day ...

so if i have to go with out the vending card then i will.. we will get thru it..

Never take today or tomorrow for granted!

Offline jcruz1104

« Reply #171 on: August 11, 2011, 04:12:03 PM »
i remember those days damn vending machines can be a pain but i did the same thing stop get me food and spend as much as i can on him.... but now no visits so that atleast saves me some money that i really dont have to begin with.. also, i started our budget on the 1st of this month and said we have it and its hard for him too cuz he knows there is money and "has" to call to hear my voice and same thing, i have to beg him not to cuz lord knows if he calls i will pick up...
i have that $ to put on again but i would rather save for his winter stuff and yes the tv, but i tell him thats its "his" money so its on him...
which helps knowing hes sooo supportive in that way,,,
& he said to me "the level you think i love you is way more then you can imagine, we all we got"

Offline Ira

« Reply #172 on: August 11, 2011, 06:06:43 PM »
Same thing here, i add money on the phone on the First and send him money the same day. If he runs out - that's too bad. If he has to call me more - that we will have to go without a phone call for couple of days at the end of the month.... And he knows that.

Offline krichardson23

« Reply #173 on: August 11, 2011, 11:04:06 PM »
How could you NOT be on a budget!  EVERYTHING costs money!  I send my LO $$ once a month for commissary and then I try to keep the phone going.  He's been trying to get me to hang up after 10 -15 minutes! :wc125:   I'm going to see him soon and that will be a hotel bill and gas and food money for our visit.  But of course he's worth it.   I'd do anything for him. I just need to win the Lotto.  :wc59:

Offline holterfield2

« Reply #174 on: August 12, 2011, 12:28:48 AM »
I saw this post and it reminded me of something that happened to me on my last visit to East Moline. I left my card in a machine by accident because I had my hands full. I realized about 10 minutes after I got the food that my card wasn't in my back pocket so I checked all the machines and it was gone. It AMAZED me that someone could stoop so low to steal and use someone else's card. Aren't we all going through the same bs with our inmates? If that had been me I would've turned it into the gaurds immediately, but this person chose not to, and instead used our money up while we sat there for the rest of the day with nothing. We ended up figuring out who it was, because there weren't many people in the visiting room, but it's not like we could say anything and start a huge confrontation right there, so we kept quiet, and my husband went hungry for the night because he missed chow due to my visit. It was a sad deal and it made me realize some people have absolutely no respect or care about others who are dealing with the same thing they are.

I hope the person who did this is reading this right now and I just want to say if they are, remember karma will remember that measly $13 you stole, and take back from you time 7.

Offline hisrealistchick

« Reply #175 on: August 12, 2011, 02:38:15 AM »
thank you all but now that I have to pay 60$ for the bus I had to use the money I i was going to put on the card to feed him for the phone becuz he ran the phone calls down I just feel really not good about this I wanna c my babe but I feel like I can't do for him how I want becuz I'm paying out my pockets almost a thousand for school and then basicay money to do for him

Love is missing someone whenever you're apart, but some how feeling warm inside because you're close in heart.&&His Queen Waiting On Him To C

Offline jcruz1104

« Reply #176 on: August 12, 2011, 08:55:45 AM »
remember karma will remember that measly $13 you stole, and take back from you time 7.
so true !! Sorry that happened..

and hisrealist~ maybe you can see if people are heading that way and see if its cheaper to go with another member.

Offline Ira

« Reply #177 on: August 12, 2011, 11:35:41 AM »
Holterfield, why didn't you go to the COs and talk to them? Wouldn't they make those people give it back to you?
Or there is no way to prove it was your card? I am going to mark mine with my l/o's number just in case..... BTW, he put his number on his shoes because he said somebody tried to steal them the first night after he got them..  :wc4:

Offline Favored23

• Thank you Lord!
« Reply #178 on: August 12, 2011, 01:45:58 PM »
This happens all the time in Dixon and there is no way to prove that someone is using your card.  The CO's are not allowed to check the cards if you it in your possession.  I know, because it has happened to us.  Plus if you give it to CO's and no one claims it they keep them behind that desk and no telling what happens to them.

I found one in the machine the other day and I took it to my table, my husband and I were seated right by the vending area and we were on the look out to see who was going to run back in and start searching for their card.  Well it wasn't even 5 minutes later and this lady went in there panicing and me and my husband saw her and I got up and took her the card.  She was so happy she hugged me and thanked me for looking out for her.  I told her that years ago when I first got to Dixon I had loaded a card to the max with $50 and all I got to buy was a cup of coffee and when I noticed it was gone I ran back there and they had taken my card.  I was a mess crying and asking and NO ONE said anything, so now when I find the card I just wait to see if I see the people looking for it.  I kinda don't trust giving it up to the guards, because how about if they don't give them their card and grab another one, and why should they use the card.  I don't know this is just me.  I feel so bad when this happens, because it totally ruins the visits and the guys don't deserve that.

Psalm 146:7 (NIV)

7 He upholds the cause of the oppressed
       and gives food to the hungry.
       The LORD sets prisoners free!!

Offline jcruz1104

« Reply #179 on: August 12, 2011, 01:57:48 PM »
I wouldnt give it to the CO either... i would trust some inmates over them.
I never had it happened to me and if i were to find one i wouldnt use it. I would wait and see if i can see the person in a frenzy trying to find theirs. cuz lord knows some people are hurting so bad and just to give this little something to their loved ones on a visit makes the world of a difference