• March 18, 2019, 07:24:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to ILLINOIS PRISON TALK, www.illinoisprisontalk.org - A Family Support Forum and Information Center for those interacting with the Illinois Department of Corrections. IPT members are comprised of family/friends of inmates, prison reform activists, ex-offenders, prisoner rights advocates and others interested in the well-being of Illinois prisoners. We encourage open discussion but please be tolerant of other's opinions. This website is protected by Copyright 2006-2019. All rights reserved. There are some private forums that require registration, please register.

Author Topic: Vending Machines & Cards  (Read 97263 times)

Offline TimeStandsStill

• Mod Squad
Re: Vending Machines & Cards
« Reply #140 on: April 30, 2011, 11:35:30 AM »
I would also bring bills of varying denominations......

Offline Crowe29

• I Will Love You Till They Take My Heart
« Reply #141 on: April 30, 2011, 01:32:11 PM »
 :wc41: that means i gotta get to an atm...i don't usually carry cash on me...how much is a reasonable amount...i'm assuming it's going toward feeding him as well???

Offline Mcaballero

« Reply #142 on: April 30, 2011, 02:29:31 PM »
I usually put $30 but it depends...The food in the prisons are kinda pricey! Just to give you some prices off memory (from Dixon) a pizza alone is like $2.50 or 3.50 cant really remember but i know its not cheaper then that. A sode is like $1.50, tacos$3.50, ice creams like at least $2...Everything is way overpriced. Plus inmates like to eat way more then usuall cuz they know once they go back...its back to cat food lol. I personally think $30 is plenty. Id usually bring all 5 dollar bills BUT the machines that load the cards sometimes eat the money and the prison couldnt care less if this happens and they have a sign that says "use at your own risk" on them. Also when i have gotten food for my inmate before the vending machines have took the money off the card but not gave me the food and agian the guards dont care so i usually bring extra money just in case.

-Meli XOXO

Offline mrsjackson7

« Reply #143 on: April 30, 2011, 08:07:50 PM »
@Crow29:  Take a $5 bill because that is what the vending card costs.  Tens and fives are best to have.  The machine is difficult about taking some twenties.  The maximum amount allowed on the card is $40.  Most of the food items cost $4; the drinks are about $1.80; and the chips are $1.15.  We normally eat about $30 on each visit and all I usually get is chips and a orange juice.  I will be there @ IRCC next Saturday with a couple of ladies from my town with whom I carpool.  Be very careful of the way you dress there; they are quite particular.  Most of all.... enjoy your visit.

Offline Jkile01

« Reply #144 on: May 30, 2011, 09:48:31 AM »
Hi there~

My friend has recently transferred to Hill, so I have a Menard vending card I would be happy to send to someone, if anyone needs it.  You could save the price of the card itself, and I'm pretty certain there's money left on it but don't know how much.

Just let me know if someone wants this...the card has helped provide many happy memories during visits, so I'd love to pass the good fortune on to someone else.

thanks,

John

Offline bmonska

« Reply #145 on: May 30, 2011, 12:10:33 PM »
I also still have an extra Jacksonville vending card if anyone needs it. PM your info and I'll pass it along right away.

Offline Jkile01

« Reply #146 on: May 30, 2011, 12:17:57 PM »
It's a nice way to  'pay it forward'!!!!

You can PM me if you'd like the Menard card!

~John

Offline Crowe29

« Reply #147 on: May 30, 2011, 01:04:23 PM »
@Crow29:  Take a $5 bill because that is what the vending card costs.  Tens and fives are best to have.  The machine is difficult about taking some twenties.  The maximum amount allowed on the card is $40.  Most of the food items cost $4; the drinks are about $1.80; and the chips are $1.15.  We normally eat about $30 on each visit and all I usually get is chips and a orange juice.  I will be there @ IRCC next Saturday with a couple of ladies from my town with whom I carpool.  Be very careful of the way you dress there; they are quite particular.  Most of all.... enjoy your visit.

Thanx mrsjackson! Can't wait till Saturday...really hope this works out! :wc30:

Offline mrsjackson7

« Reply #148 on: May 30, 2011, 09:27:12 PM »
IKR  You are so welcome.  We will believe for the best.

Offline Jackster

• Mary Kay
« Reply #149 on: July 02, 2011, 09:43:59 AM »
Word of advice ALWAYS try to refill your card BEFORE you leave from your visit to ensure that you will have $$ on it your next visit, twice already I have went to see B (Dixon) and the machines aren't working.  Even worse yesterday I forgot my card at home, and figured I would just buy another one, yeah right, machine down yet again!!!  :wc4:

Offline Crowe29

« Reply #150 on: July 02, 2011, 10:12:57 AM »
Excellent advice Jackster! I'll remember that when I go next week. Still got about $25 left...but he may be hungrier this time, lol!

Offline Jackster

• Mary Kay
« Reply #151 on: July 02, 2011, 11:06:56 AM »
Excellent advice Jackster! I'll remember that when I go next week. Still got about $25 left...but he may be hungrier this time, lol!

B never wants anything to eat! Drives me nuts, hesaid he isn't big on vending machine food? lol.. but whatever less $ I spend! But this time I was starving, bagel and coffee was all I had all day! Too busy at work to eat, traffic sucked so it took me forever to get there, didnt have time to hit a drive through, so figured oh ill just eat vending machine food, yea right!  But it didn't matter my hunger was satiated when I seen him anyways!  :wc1:

Offline Crowe29

« Reply #152 on: July 02, 2011, 12:25:32 PM »
My B tried to eat last time but it was't really working out for him...he told me on the ph later that he was so nervous bc we hadn't touched in 5 months! I know he'll do better this time, esp since I'll be visiting during dinner time. I'm still gonna add $ on my card when I get there...$25 might not be enough to feed my hungry boy, lol!

Offline chippyn

« Reply #153 on: July 02, 2011, 12:51:39 PM »
And if your going to menard and are purchasing a card, remember to bring an old $5 bill. The machine wont take the new bills

Offline lovinhim11

• lovin my man
« Reply #154 on: July 02, 2011, 01:26:56 PM »
It takes the new ones now I have used the new ones the last 3 weeks

Offline jdmlt

• Mod Squad
« Reply #155 on: July 02, 2011, 01:41:29 PM »
Yes, I have two vending cards for Big Muddy just in case machines are down and I fill them when we leave again. Once while we were there the machine was down so I was covered. There was a couple there visiting their son for the first time and no working machine. I slyly told them that I have a valid card and when I go up to get my soda and sandwich to follow me and I would purchase what they needed, before we got into the search room the man gave me $10 for his 3 pops, candy bar and 2 sandwiches. Just for info, one of my cards says Big Muddy on it and one don't but they both work.

Offline Pamalynn

« Reply #156 on: July 02, 2011, 02:46:35 PM »
FYI - The cards at Jacksonville are now allowing more than $40 on them. I don't know how much more....I think one time I saw a woman put $50 on hers. They usually have one of the sandwich machines out of order, it's been that way every week for more than a month (at least on the days I've visited). I've had problems with the machines there too - once I got a moldy sandwich & a few times it's deducted money from my card w/o giving me the food. You have to write to them to request reimbursement, I won't hold my breath waiting. :wc67:
You can search the world for happiness, but you won't find it. Happiness is the way you travel, not a destination.

Offline lurios2

« Reply #157 on: July 02, 2011, 02:59:24 PM »
Vending machines are definitely annoying. During our last month at Stateville I would try to get food, and it would charge me, but I couldn't get the food out. I was convinced it was my card or the machine, because I didn't have a problem before. I probably lost $30 total trying during different times. Then I had someone else do it for me. Turns out I was pulling too much on the sliding door and it doesn't open if I do that  :wc96: :wc95:
Then last weekend I visited him for 4 days straight at Hill and the machines were out for 2 days. My poor baby didn't eat much but beef jerky and popcorn. I did get a little creative the second day though. I melted a hersheys bar and got pretzels and made him chocolate covered pretzels. He had never had them before, and now loves them  :wc1:
~People don't care how much you know, until they know how much you care~

Offline dannysgirl

• I will wait for you, I promise.
« Reply #158 on: July 02, 2011, 07:25:57 PM »
lurios2
LOVE LOVE LOVE the pretzel idea Thanks for that. Gonna try it next time. Those machines are such a rip off, but it's different then what they get served everyday. I noticed prices have gone up a couple times

Offline hisrealistchick

« Reply #159 on: August 11, 2011, 02:41:03 AM »
Are the vending machines expensive? I was going to put 10$ on there I don't eat alot so I should b okay

Love is missing someone whenever you're apart, but some how feeling warm inside because you're close in heart.&&His Queen Waiting On Him To C