• September 23, 2018, 01:46:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to ILLINOIS PRISON TALK, www.illinoisprisontalk.org - A Family Support Forum and Information Center for those interacting with the Illinois Department of Corrections. IPT members are comprised of family/friends of inmates, prison reform activists, ex-offenders, prisoner rights advocates and others interested in the well-being of Illinois prisoners. We encourage open discussion but please be tolerant of other's opinions. This website is protected by Copyright © 2006-2018. All rights reserved. There are some private forums that require registration, please register.

Author Topic: What is Considered Contraband in Mail?  (Read 108785 times)

Offline outtastate

Re: What is Considered Contraband in Mail?
« Reply #200 on: April 04, 2014, 06:42:04 PM »
Can anyone help me with these questions? (re stateville)
1. if there is no commissary then how do they acquire a pen and paper?
2. If there is no commissary why would anyone send money to this facility (stateville)
3. It is my understanding that no phonecalls are allowed---the inmate can not make any-- is that correct?
4. how many people per cell and are they locked in their cells 22 hours per day?
thanks for response

Offline outtastate

« Reply #201 on: April 04, 2014, 06:49:10 PM »
Question about Stateville and limit on number of pages in a letter

If I send  typed written pages, such as a transcript or internet article, what is the limit of the number of pages i can send? If I have something that is 18 or 20 pages should I send it in a flat manilla envelope? Thanks so much for time and insight.

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #202 on: April 04, 2014, 06:57:20 PM »
There probably isn't a limit, but if it's from the internet, make sure there are no internet address on top or bottom of the pages, if needed, cut them off. Manilla envelope would be good.
Do not value the "things" you have in your life - value "who" you have in your life....

“Instead of thinking about what you're missing, try thinking about what you have that everyone else is missing.”

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #203 on: April 04, 2014, 08:27:28 PM »
I looked for the other topic you talked about, but could not find it until now, I answered your first question, which I never saw in this topic, here:

http://www.illinoisprisontalk.org/index.php?topic=14566.msg246185#msg246185

If they are lucky they can borrow a pencil and I believe they are given one postcard.  If they trade their food (which they arent' suppose to do) they sometimes can trade for a writeout, what they need to send out mail.

If they are in R&C more than 60 days, they are allowed to go to commissary, but can only buy personal items/writeouts.

You might get lucky to get ONE phone call, but don't count on it.

There could be 2-4 people in a cell in receiving and they are usually locked down 24/7, maybe given time out once per week for a shower.
Do not value the "things" you have in your life - value "who" you have in your life....

“Instead of thinking about what you're missing, try thinking about what you have that everyone else is missing.”

Offline smw1986

« Reply #204 on: October 14, 2014, 03:37:33 PM »
I would like to mention that at Lincoln, my husband and other inmates have been able to receive Uno, Magic the Gathering, and various other card games... as long as it is NOT the basic playing cards.  They can also receive hardback books there.

Offline NikkiRobzz13

« Reply #205 on: May 31, 2016, 02:26:48 PM »
I have a few questions about pictures and things such as word searches/crosswords. I saw that you can bring magazines to the prison to cut down on postage costs, is the same true for crossword books? Also, I sent a couple pics of myself in lingerie (so I am technically wearing clothes) and cropped them so no nipple was showing. Do those classify as "suggestive"? Don't want to get my boyfriend in trouble

Offline Gizgirl2

« Reply #206 on: May 31, 2016, 04:21:05 PM »
I have a few questions about pictures and things such as word searches/crosswords. I saw that you can bring magazines to the prison to cut down on postage costs, is the same true for crossword books? Also, I sent a couple pics of myself in lingerie (so I am technically wearing clothes) and cropped them so no nipple was showing. Do those classify as "suggestive"? Don't want to get my boyfriend in trouble

Yes you can drop off up to 5 books, magazines or crosswords when you go to visit. Just remember that they don't have a lot of room to store their things so don't send a lot at one time. As for pictures as long as your girl parts are covered they should be acceptable.

Offline Tex999

« Reply #207 on: May 31, 2016, 07:20:10 PM »
you can't drop off books/ magazines at all prisons. Call and ask first.

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #208 on: June 01, 2016, 06:03:12 AM »
you can't drop off books/ magazines at all prisons. Call and ask first.

You usually can drop off books when you go for a visit, usually up to 5 at a time.

Offline Tex999

« Reply #209 on: June 01, 2016, 06:50:20 AM »
I was told you could not drop off at Vandalia. That is why I suggest calling to find out.

Offline FW

« Reply #210 on: August 22, 2017, 12:53:50 AM »
I just sent a bunch of photos... 34 to be exact.  Do you think they'll have a problem with me sending him so many?  Only 2 are of me, the rest are of scenery.

Offline Sizz

« Reply #211 on: August 22, 2017, 04:24:54 AM »
 :wc69:

I have sent quite a few photos at a time and there hasn't been an issue as long as there's no nudity, weapons etc. I don't think there is a limit on the number of photos sent.
                                                                      :wc71-1:

Offline FW

« Reply #212 on: August 23, 2017, 02:40:13 AM »
I just mailed some photos to Centralia correctional center and am afraid they might get returned. Thet photos were okay but there were 34 of them and I mailed them in a thicker almost cardboard type of envelope. I'm worried because one of the IDOC pages said somethi g about not sending stuff in cardboard envelopes or they would be returned. I'm really stressed about this. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Offline trauma4us

« Reply #213 on: August 23, 2017, 05:11:20 AM »
Since its in the mail, not much to be done now. If they get returned, how about dividing them up and sending a few in the next few letters you send?

Offline FW

« Reply #214 on: August 23, 2017, 01:50:43 PM »
I think what I'm worried about more than anything is that I got the envelope to mail the photos and letter at the post office. The envelope was stiff, kind of like cardboard. After I sent it I was reading on the IDOC website not to send things in envelopes that are made of cardboard. Now I'm worried it will get sent back because of the cardboard. It costs a lot to have photos printed out, and I'd hate for his package to be delayed, lost, or thrown out.

Offline Gizgirl2

« Reply #215 on: August 23, 2017, 01:54:51 PM »
If the envelope is unacceptable they will return to sender. They won't even open it.

Offline Danadaneindy

• Queen
« Reply #216 on: December 23, 2017, 01:15:37 AM »
I sent a Xmas card an inserted a post it note saying I wasn't sure if he could receive magazines . Telling him so I did not bother sending them.Is it OK that I inserted the sticky note inside the envelope? I hope I did not get him in trouble. Cause I have not heard back from him stating he even got the card.

Online pt1318

« Reply #217 on: December 23, 2017, 02:50:17 AM »
I've put sticky notes on magazines before and he always got them. Then again you never know with IDOC because each prison and each person handles things differently, but even if they don't like your sticky note for some reason I would think they'd just remove it and still give him the card. My guess is that the mail room is backed up pretty badly, they usually are before Christmas.
💙  Strength grows in the moments when you think you can't go on but you keep going anyway.  💙