• February 20, 2019, 10:29:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to ILLINOIS PRISON TALK, www.illinoisprisontalk.org - A Family Support Forum and Information Center for those interacting with the Illinois Department of Corrections. IPT members are comprised of family/friends of inmates, prison reform activists, ex-offenders, prisoner rights advocates and others interested in the well-being of Illinois prisoners. We encourage open discussion but please be tolerant of other's opinions. This website is protected by Copyright © 2006-2019. All rights reserved. There are some private forums that require registration, please register.

Author Topic: North Lawndale ATC  (Read 37146 times)

Offline Dazzler

• Editor-in-Chief
  • Administrator
  • Retired News Reporter ~ Prison Reform Advocate
    • Illinois Prison Talk
North Lawndale ATC
« on: March 06, 2006, 10:09:52 AM »
Post info here
~ "I have visited some of the best and the worst prisons and have never seen signs of coddling, but I have seen the terrible results of the boredom and frustration of empty hours and pointless existence." ~ US Supreme Court Justice Warren Burger

~ "An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind."
~ Mahatma Gandhi

Peanuts

Re: North Lawndale ATC
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2006, 10:38:59 AM »

North Lawndale Adult Transition Center

Opened: June 2000
*Operational Capacity: 200
Transitional Security Male
*Current Population: 191
Average Age: 32
FY2010 Average Annual Cost Per Inmate: $25,181.00

*As of 5/31/2012. Reflects bed space capacity analysis as outlined in the July 1, 2012 Quarterly Report to the Legislature.
Visiting Hours

Visitors to any correctional facility will be required to produce photo identification and verification of date of birth. Please be sure to bring 2 forms of identification with you; these would include a current photo ID such as a driver’s license, a state ID card, government ID card, military ID/driver’s license, or acceptable documentation of non-U.S. citizenship including a current Passport, or Visa, documentation must contain the visitor’s date of birth. Expired forms of identification will not be accepted. Visitors will also be required to provide vehicle information and other pertinent data, such as government identification, official credentials, attorney registration, and or law student certification.

North Lawndale ATC
Tuesday, Wednesday, Saturday and Sunday 5:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.
Visitors should check in by 8:00 p.m.
Facility Address

Business Mail:
2839 West Fillmore
Chicago, IL 60624

Inmate Mail:
Inmate Name & IDOC#

2839 West Fillmore
Chicago, IL 60624

Phone: (773) 638-8491

Fax: (773) 638-8498

Facility Information

The mission of Safer Foundation's North Lawndale Adult Transition Center (ATC) is to reduce recidivism by supporting, through a full spectrum of services, the efforts of people with criminal records to become employed, law-abiding members of the community. From the beginning, North Lawndale adopted a philosophy that good programming is good security and good security is good programming. In practice that means that residents who are active in programs create far less security problems than those who are not, and where there is structure and order, programs can be effectively implemented.

The Safer Foundation's North Lawndale ATC has a 200-bed capacity and is located at 2839 W. Fillmore on the west side of Chicago. The facility and the programs of North Lawndale ATC are designed for offenders in work-release status transitioning from secure custody and preparing for parole. The security system within the facility enables staff to monitor residents' living, common and recreation areas and streets in the area around the facility. The facility consists of one building with four community-style living units, which house general population offenders.

Inmate Programs

Academic:

GED (General Educational Development)
    Literacy

Volunteer Services:

Literacy Services
    Faith Based
    Recreational
    Mentoring
    Counseling
    Religious Services

Other:

Case Management Services
    Cognitive Therapies
    Mental Health Services
    Substance Abuse Treatment
    Family Support Services
    Employment Retention Training
    Community Work Crews
    Anger Management
    Life Skills

Offline Chickie

• Happy, Happy, Joy, Joy
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2006, 02:21:51 PM »
I previously posted this---  AHEM  ----  Elsewhere.  i have reposted it here    )>)

NLATC has a 7 day phase. It is possible they can call, but no visits.

Within the first 7 days you can go there 1 time and drop off the following:
(not all is required) Required items are stated as such.

A full set of TWIN size bedding. (no pillow) The bedding must be a solid color.

1 carton of cigarettes

1 box of matchbooks (NO lighters)

1 duffle bag

1 Umbrella

1 Alarm Clock

His state ID (if he has one) Don't bring their drivers license, as they arae not allowed to drive (EVER) so they will keep it, if you bring it.

His social security card. (if he does not have these things, they will take him in the first 30 days to go and get them.)

soap
2 deoderants
1 10 pack of razors
1 electric razor/beard trimmer
1 bath towel
1 hand towel
1 wash cloth
1 tooth brush
1 toothpaste
1 alchol free mouth wash
1 alcohol free Gel or mousse (hair product)
1 robe

Initially they can have up to $30 dollars cash. It should (recommended) be given in 2 rolls of quaters and some singles. (for laundry, vending machines and phone).

A phone card can be purchased in the visiting room.

5 Shirts (1 shirt is required to be a dress a shirt).
1 Tie (required)
5 Pants
10 underwear
10 pairs of socks
10 T-shirts
10 hangers
4 pairs of shoes ( I was told 6 pair, and 4 pair)

1 box of powder laundry detergent
1 box of powder bleach

After 7 days they can get visits. Each floor has its own visiting day. Sunday is open to everyone. visits are only like half an hour, but they can get visits everyday.

They cannot leave the center for 30 days. If they make it through the first 30 days with no tickets, they can get a job. If they get a ticket, they will extend the amount of time you must wait before you can leave the center.  For work the inmate is ONLY allowed to use public transportation.  Any money they make is put into a savings account that they they will be given on the last date of their sentence.  The center does take 20% of every check.

After they have held a job and worked for 30 days they will be promoted to the next level where
they earn passes to go home for up to 72 hours.  They also have 6 hour passes,and 12 hour passes. 

For the 72 hour passes the "host" will have to go to a meeting and provide a copy of a phone bill and sign some papers saying all rules are understood. The inmate will sign the same paper. The Phone cannot have call forwarding on it!  They are only allowed 1 movement (outside the house) a day, for 2 and ahalf hours. They can do dinner or movies or mall. no venue type outings, or forest preserves...common sense is needed in this stage of the game.  They WILL and DO call the house at ALL hours!

As i get more info I will post it. :-)
if you have any questions, please ask.  Just because I didnt post it here, dont mean i dont have the info.  I may have just forgot  :-)  I am here to help!

Offline Xraciex8

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2009, 12:50:53 AM »
H guys! I am new here as a member but I have been reason the posts for a couple months. My boyfriend just got approved for work release and is at the farm waiting to be put into an atc. They told him he would be going to north lawndale. I heard this as a very bad part of the town and I was wondering if anone had any recent information. Also for work or passes are they allowed to take a cab? Is that considered public transportation? I would greatly appreciate any info because I amvery worried and nervous about it! Thanks so much!
I love you more than yesterday and less than tomorrow...always.

Offline KSwife

• I Miss My Husband
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2009, 12:59:31 AM »
 :wc12: to IPT!! Someone will probably be around in the morning to answer your questions.
Grumpy people are annoying!!!

Offline Dazzler

• Editor-in-Chief
  • Administrator
  • Retired News Reporter ~ Prison Reform Advocate
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2009, 01:44:52 AM »
Hi and welcome to IPT.  It's true, the Lawndale ATC is in a pretty rough neighborhood but I think it's safe for him to come and go to his job from there.  I don't know if he'll be able to keep enough money to allow him to take cabs to his employment.  That could be very costly and also cabs are unpredictable for scheduling.  I think if he's only traveling during daylight hours he'll be okay...
~ "I have visited some of the best and the worst prisons and have never seen signs of coddling, but I have seen the terrible results of the boredom and frustration of empty hours and pointless existence." ~ US Supreme Court Justice Warren Burger

~ "An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind."
~ Mahatma Gandhi

Offline Xraciex8

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2009, 09:31:46 AM »
He was told by several people that it was the best out of the three in Chicago. Is that true? I figured he would be fine getting to union station during the day, he's a builder and custom woodworker, and his shop is in lisle/Plainfield but coming back in he dark, I figured it would just be better to catch a taxi from union to the facility.    is there anything against me giving him money evryday for that?

Offline Treazur729

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2009, 09:40:03 AM »
He'll be ok it's not that bad around there and the facility is very nice. I'm from the area and plus my ex was there for a while and it was a real cool place so you have nothing to worry about.

Offline downtownchicago

• Banned
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2009, 02:41:01 PM »
Xraciex8, if you're saying that he's thinking he might want to walk between Union Station and the North Lawndale ATC .... that is a very long walk.  He could probably take a bus.  Cab would probably be $10.

Offline jgraff49

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2009, 05:53:28 PM »
Go on line to www.transitchicago.com and put in Union Station and then the address of the ATC.  You will get a really detailed itinerary from the CTA about busses and/or L to take.  Don't do mapquest - it's a joke and only good if you are driving.
Let us know how your bf does at NL.  My son is still trying to decide if he should put in for work release after 8/27.  with everything so mysteriously up in the air, who knows what to do.  How long ago did your bf apply?
JG

Offline Mrs.Mcgahee

• "A Match made in Heaven"
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2009, 08:03:59 PM »
He will have to be careful, I use to live over there but we moved. The people really don't mess with you unless, you mess with them. Most people go about their day and will be OK. Its on Mozart and Fillmore. Its quite, don't worry about it. If he coming from downtown he might want to take the Roosevelt bus. Good luck

Offline Xraciex8

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2009, 03:00:14 AM »
Thanks for all the great info guys! I will tell him tomorrow am! The informaion definately has made me relax and has given my heart some relief!. My bf went into doc for his first time June 8 on a 3 year aentence for mulitple duis... He got to vandalia  July 3 and found out aug 4 they approved him for work release and he will be at nl on Friday! So everything has gone by very quckly and the best we both could pray for! We've never been apart til this and it's been the hardest thing I've ever had to do. I'm hoping he gets to nl and evrything goes as well as it has been... I just want him home!!! ;) plus we've got a wedding to plan! It's no fun planning alone!  I heard with this possible release that he could be out super early of wr as well. His counselor at vandalia told him to only expect to be there 2 months. Hopefully! ;)

Offline jgraff49

« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2009, 08:45:04 PM »
 :hhh: :merrycsanta:
My son just recently was assigned to North Lawndale ATC.  It seems like a very nice place.  I do worry about how safe he will be when he eventually leaves for work.  That brings me to my question.  Does anyone know about work opportunities or ATC connections for work placement through Safer?  Also, what about community service?  I heard that the residents cannot just cold call on businesses to apply but need to have an interview scheduled inorder to go on an a job interview.  Is this true? Happy Holidays to you all and thanks again for any information you can give me.
JG

Offline jgraff49

« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2010, 08:24:52 PM »
My son has been at NL since November.  He did get a job however it takes about an hour and a half to get there each way.  The hours are very irregular - at times, he leaves NL at 4:00 AM to catch his bus, then the "L" and then another bus.  Still, he likes the job, doesn't seem to mind the commute so if he's okay with it, then we are okay with it as well.  I too was concerned with the safety issue regarding the neighborhood but my son says that no one bothers him.  He thinks that as long as he wears his ID that anyone that could cause trouble keeps their distance.  The staff is really nice at NL - polite and very helpful when we have any questions.

Does anyone know of a phone company that will just give servce that DOES NOT include call forwarding?  Our service is bundled and includes call forwarding.  For some unexplained reason, they cannot take it off of our service.
JG 

Offline IloveDCfrombooneco

« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2010, 08:13:54 PM »
Well I too have a bundle pack and have been asking some of my friends about this also, someone told me to go get a magicjack, it plugs into your computer and then you plug a phone in and for 20.00 a year you have phone service, the magicjack is 40.00 to buy and they will give you a number. They said this way I can keep my phone with the bundle package, but still have a totally different num for this magicjack. I don't know, they do have a website if you want to check them out www.magicjack.com. Good luck if you find anything please post it so we all know.

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2010, 03:06:05 PM »
Well I too have a bundle pack and have been asking some of my friends about this also, someone told me to go get a magicjack, it plugs into your computer and then you plug a phone in and for 20.00 a year you have phone service, the magicjack is 40.00 to buy and they will give you a number. They said this way I can keep my phone with the bundle package, but still have a totally different num for this magicjack. I don't know, they do have a website if you want to check them out www.magicjack.com. Good luck if you find anything please post it so we all know.

You'd better get on the net now and to Research on this Magicjack, before you go through all that and find out it does not work well!!  JMO   Don't just reply on their website, they will only say the good about it...

I had this thing on my radar, up until I did my research.. good luck!
Do not value the "things" you have in your life - value "who" you have in your life....

“Instead of thinking about what you're missing, try thinking about what you have that everyone else is missing.”

Offline mamielane

« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2010, 04:50:34 AM »
My son has MagicJack,and its a joke! The only way my calls go through to him is from my cellphone,and it rings someone else in another state if I call from house phone. And if you lose internet connection during the call you lose the call also.

Offline jgraff49

« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2010, 07:45:51 PM »
OMG!!  Trying to get an analog land line into my house and not have it completely screw up all of my digital bundle took virtually an act from Congress.  I've been back and forth between Wowway and At&T.  Wowway told me they could take call forwarding off of my phone line but could not take the notice off of my bill.  They told me that the parole officers from IDOC called all the time to verify that call forwrding was disengaged.  When I called back the next day to have them disconnect this, I was told that in fact they COULD NOT do this.  So...I called AT&T.  First they said they could not connect an analog with a house on digital.  I called back and told them that they did have the capabilitiy and I was willing to pay for the installation of a single line and then of course, they said, OK, we'll be there Thurs. a.m.  Well Thurs. came and they did not so I called them and was told they didn't need to come out, they could just flip a switch and I'd have a new line.  I just went postal on them.  It turned out that they were going to disconnect me from my bundle package with Wowway and flip everything over to AT&T.  So, I waited for the weekend to pass and cool down.  I called AT&T again this morning and insisted that they install an analog, single hard-line straight into my son's room.  Well, it's Monday 4/5 and we'll see if they show up on Wed. a.m. and install this dedicated line.  Graduate school was less complicated than getting a damned basic service land line.  Wish us luck!!
JG

Offline jgraff49

« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2010, 10:56:44 PM »
Well, we got AT&T to come in and install a basic package for about $17/month.  We are waiting for our first statement.  I'll let you know how that turns out.

Offline Iinsane2

« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2010, 01:46:08 PM »
Okay just to let everyone know northlawndale is the most f**ked up work realese center that i have been to...the staff is okay...if you get right with them...the food sucks....oh and if you dont get xxx, xxxxx or mrs. XXXXXX as a case manager then you wont be getting any job leaves or passes for at least 2 months...i spent my 18 birthday there this year. i just got out in march..and i might be young..but i know bulls*** when i see it..and alotta the people working there are crooked..and are there 2 make you life a living hell