• November 14, 2018, 04:21:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to ILLINOIS PRISON TALK, www.illinoisprisontalk.org - A Family Support Forum and Information Center for those interacting with the Illinois Department of Corrections. IPT members are comprised of family/friends of inmates, prison reform activists, ex-offenders, prisoner rights advocates and others interested in the well-being of Illinois prisoners. We encourage open discussion but please be tolerant of other's opinions. This website is protected by Copyright © 2006-2018. All rights reserved. There are some private forums that require registration, please register.

Author Topic: Criteria for Adult Boot Camps  (Read 41478 times)

Offline Dazzler

• Editor-in-Chief
  • Administrator
  • Retired News Reporter ~ Prison Reform Advocate
    • Illinois Prison Talk
Criteria for Adult Boot Camps
« on: September 22, 2007, 03:59:46 PM »
What is the situation with boot camps in Illinois?

The Illinois Department of Corrections operates two adult boot camps and one juvenile camp. The adult camps are located at the DuQuoin State Fairground in Perry County, and at Dixon Springs, at the edge of the Shawnee National Forest in deep southern Illinois. The juvenile camp is located in Murphysboro. Adult inmates must volunteer before the judge and the placement recommendation by the judge is reviewed when the inmate is received at Corrections. Corrections administrators determine who goes to the juvenile camp. Adults may not have been convicted of a serious crime, must be between the ages of 18-35 and not have been sentenced to Corrections more than twice. They cannot have a sentence of more than 8 years. Corrections retains the right to determine who goes to boot camp based on the nature of the crime and whether the inmate can take the regimentation both physically and mentally. The camp is 120-days in length. Inmates may not have visitors for 30 days, and then only immediate family. They are also restricted from phone calls for a period of time. Inmates may possess only what Corrections gives them.

If the court finds that an offender sentenced to a term of imprisonment for a felony may meet the eligibility requirements of the Department, the court may recommend in its sentencing order that the Department consider the offender for placement in its Impact Incarceration Program. Offenders who are referred and meet the legislative guidelines are considered at one of the Reception and Classification Centers (R&C) upon admission to the Department.
The Department evaluates each inmate against the following criteria:

1.   Must be not less than 17 years of age nor more than 35 years of age.

2.   Has never served more than one sentence of imprisonment for a felony in an adult correctional facility.

3.   Has not been convicted of a Class X felony, first or second degree murder, armed violence, aggravated kidnapping, criminal sexual assault, aggravated criminal sexual abuse, or a subsequent conviction for criminal sexual abuse, forcible detention, or arson.

4.   Has been sentenced to a term of imprisonment of eight years or less.

5.   Must be physically able to participate in strenuous physical activities or labor.

6.   Must not have any mental disorder or disability that would prevent participation in the Impact Incarceration Program.

7. Impact Incarceration Program 2003 Annual Report to the Governor and the General Assembly
Has consented in writing to participation in the IIP.

8. The Department may also consider, among other matters, whether the committed person has a history of escape or absconding, whether he has any outstanding detainers or warrants, or whether participation in the Impact Incarceration Program may pose a risk to the safety or security of any person.

Screening Process
R&C staff identify inmates for participation based on the sentencing order. Staff ensure that the inmate is eligible by law. They then conduct the routine R&C procedures. An intensive medical screening is included in these procedures. The Health Care Services Unit has developed special medical care and mental health screening policies to determine the inmate's fitness for the IIP. The medical decision is based on detailed medical and dental exams to ensure that inmates are physically able to participate in the rigorous structure of the program.

Preparation for separate transportation is then arranged for inmates recommended for the IIP. These inmates are housed in a separate unit at the holding facility, where staff interview each inmate to discuss the Impact Incarceration Program in detail. A video is also available for the inmate's review. Inmates are asked to sign a form stating they are volunteering for the program. They are held at this facility until transfer to the boot camp can be made.

When the inmate is received at the boot camp facility, a form letter is sent notifying the sentencing judge that the inmate has been received at the boot camp. This will occur on the day that the inmate begins his or her 120-day program.

~ "I have visited some of the best and the worst prisons and have never seen signs of coddling, but I have seen the terrible results of the boredom and frustration of empty hours and pointless existence." ~ US Supreme Court Justice Warren Burger

~ "An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind."
~ Mahatma Gandhi

Offline gettingby

Re: Criteria for Adult Boot Camps
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2007, 09:29:57 PM »
Dazzler, Thanks for sharing this, especially when there seems to be so many bootcampers lately. Good information.  Just want to clarify, your bootcamper can make make one call on weekends after 30 days, and visitors after 60 days,  and then only immediate family. 
Right now, they are moving inmates to Vienna (parent institute to Dixson Springs) a few weeks before the enter bootcamp, whether they are going to DuQuion or Dixon Springs. While in Vienna, they are considered "prebootcamp" that is, they are going to bootcamp, they  are just waiting for a bed.  They can make calls, but cannot write letters.  Their status on DOC will show Parent Institute: Vienna, Status: In Custody, Location: Vienna.  Please don't mistake this as them NOT going to bootcamp.  The only way you will know if they are prebootcamp is if they call you and tell you, you have read this post, or you call Vienna and speak to someone there.
Don't repay kindness, pass it on.

Offline loretjord7

• The Lord is our Shepherd.
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2007, 08:01:45 AM »
Dazzler, Thanks for sharing this, especially when there seems to be so many bootcampers lately. Good information.  Just want to clarify, your bootcamper can make make one call on weekends after 30 days, and visitors after 60 days,  and then only immediate family. 
Right now, they are moving inmates to Vienna (parent institute to Dixson Springs) a few weeks before the enter bootcamp, whether they are going to DuQuion or Dixon Springs. While in Vienna, they are considered "prebootcamp" that is, they are going to bootcamp, they  are just waiting for a bed.  They can make calls, but cannot write letters.  Their status on DOC will show Parent Institute: Vienna, Status: In Custody, Location: Vienna.  Please don't mistake this as them NOT going to bootcamp.  The only way you will know if they are prebootcamp is if they call you and tell you, you have read this post, or you call Vienna and speak to someone there.
I read this quote everyday since you informed me how to keep up with my sons progress in getting closer to going to bootcamp and it is very uplifting.  ./.// ././/
I am not trying to be difficult, just trying to understand. Maybe that is my problem.

Offline loretjord7

• The Lord is our Shepherd.
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2007, 08:06:29 AM »
My son has not gone to bootcamp as of yet but I do have a question, does bootcamp time start with pre-bootcamp or when they are in bootcamp? Because I know that where he is sitting now it is just that, sitting. :~) ^%$#
I am not trying to be difficult, just trying to understand. Maybe that is my problem.

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2007, 09:50:02 AM »
loretjord, his time for bootcamp starts the day he starts bootcamp and it's a minimum of 120 days and can go to 180 days depending if they take anytime off.  The time they are waiting does not count...
Do not value the "things" you have in your life - value "who" you have in your life....

“Instead of thinking about what you're missing, try thinking about what you have that everyone else is missing.”

Offline gettingby

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2007, 07:57:06 PM »
Mah is correct.  I have started my countdown.  I know, I know any thing can happen and his out date may be delayed, but right now, I've got to believe in 120 days, if he takes time off, I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.
Don't repay kindness, pass it on.

Offline lizlov

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2009, 04:47:26 PM »
I am wondering if going to boot camp has to be part of a plea agreement or if anyone entering IDOC is eligible to participate?  I just accepted a plea deal for a 3 year sentence and didn't realize that this possibly eliminated me from participating in boot camp.  Does anyone know the answer to this. 

Also I am wondering if anyone know what the least amount of time I could do on a 3-year sentence if I do not take the boot camp option?  My conviction is for a non-violent offense and this is my first conviction (possession of marijuana with intent to deliver, class 3 felony).  Are there any better alternatives for me?

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2009, 05:00:15 PM »
Welcome to IPT lizlov ...  I think the bootcamp has to be part of your  sentencing agreement and once you get to IDOC you are approved for it. You cannot have had a sentence on a violent crime, which yours is not and there are age restrictions also.

If you got a 3 year sentence at 50% that would be 1 1/2 years and then you get 6 months goodtime, which is given by the warden at your home prison and this is not a guaranteed goodtime, if you get into any trouble, part or all of it can be taken away.  You also could get goodtime for classes/programs you would take, if you can get into anything at your parent prison.  You are looking at one year without any additional goodtime added at this time.

Bootcamp can take up to 4 months to get into and can take up to a minimum of 120 days to complete.

Mah
Do not value the "things" you have in your life - value "who" you have in your life....

“Instead of thinking about what you're missing, try thinking about what you have that everyone else is missing.”

Offline leprechanmonkie

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2009, 06:07:38 PM »
lizlov
do you have any time in County?  With the wait that goes into bootcamp, you may only be saving yourself a few months.  To change that plea i am assuming you would need to talk to your States Attorney.

That said, if you do take the bootcamp and something goes wrong, you will do 1.5 years instead of 1(which you will get your goodtime given our states overcrowded prisons)

So do you want to deal with the hardships of bootcamp and possibly come home sooner, possibly later.

Bootcamp was not THAT bad, its all about your attitude

Offline Lissa

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2009, 06:04:32 PM »
How do they determine what is a violent and non-violent crime. Mine was just sentenced to 4 years DOC and was credited for 113 days for county time and then was told all about the impact carceration. I figure it can take some time to get them in there so in the overal mine could actually be out of DOC before he could be out of the boot camp program if I am reading all thsi right.

Offline Dazzler

• Editor-in-Chief
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2009, 06:09:37 PM »
I think if he was assigned to a bootcamp rather quickly, like within a month or so he'd come out far better than serving the 4 year sentence...which would be 18 months minus the county time.  Bootcamp is about 4 months start to finish, I think. 
~ "I have visited some of the best and the worst prisons and have never seen signs of coddling, but I have seen the terrible results of the boredom and frustration of empty hours and pointless existence." ~ US Supreme Court Justice Warren Burger

~ Mahatma Gandhi

Offline cgs51

« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2009, 10:23:22 PM »
Lissa
I'm not sure who "told" him all about the impact incarceration program but in my son's case his attorney requested boot camp and the judge had to approve it in court that day.  He was then sent to Stateville R&C as a bootcamper but it still had to be approved by IDOC before it was certain that he would go.  However, each case may be different but that is how my son got to go there.
Good Luck to you both.

Offline Lissa

« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2009, 01:13:47 AM »
cgs51 yes that is what the judge told him today in court is that she would sign the paper for the bbot camp but it is still up to DOC if he gets it or not.He has mental health issues and has meds will that be an issue for it. He said tonight at our visit he isnt sure he wants the boot camp because he wants me to be able to come visit. He really doesnt have a family. His parents are alcoholics. His sister and brother were adopted although he does see his sister. He grew up on the streets of Chicago so you can imagine. He is only 19 so he has a life ahead of him and there really hasnt ever been anyone who loved him uncodnitionally until now.

Offline Dazzler

• Editor-in-Chief
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2009, 01:23:13 AM »
I'm afraid the meds may be a problem for him.  I think the bootcampers must be in tip top physical shape to be approved, without any type of medication. I may be wrong, maybe some bootcamp moms will weigh in on this.....but bootcamp is so grueling that I'm almost positive meds are not allowed.

~ Mahatma Gandhi

Offline Lissa

« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2009, 10:10:42 AM »
He said he probably wont take it anyways now because he found out that I couldnt come see him. He really has no family.

Offline Dazzler

• Editor-in-Chief
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2009, 10:12:25 AM »
That's too bad he has no family.  It's a shame that only immediate family are allowed to visit in a situation like this.  He should be allowed at least one close friend in lieu of a family. 

~ Mahatma Gandhi

Offline cgs51

« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2009, 11:33:11 PM »
Certain meds are definitely a problem.  If he needs them to function every day then boot camp may not be the answer. 
If he is not ready to do multiple exercises every day, run up to 4 miles every day, and have COs in his face and on his back 24/7 every day he is not ready for boot camp.  It is lonely and they beat you up mentally every day as well as physically with the PT exercises and runs.  You have to be ready for it and able to take it with little or no medication.  Even when my son was recovering from a broken foot they acted like ibuprofen was a narcotic the way they didn't pass it out.
Tell him to think long and hard before he commits to boot camp.  It is VERY hard physically and mentally.  It takes a lot of determination to get through it.
I wish you both the best.

Offline lovinhim11

• lovin my man
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2011, 08:53:44 AM »
Hope someone can help me find out info. I called springfield and asked if it has to be judge ordered on boot camp and she said no. That my hubby could put in for transfer. If he was to get into boot camp, and after finish that would he be released upon completion of the bootcamp? His charges are agg battery and theft. Hope some one can give me facts not I think .

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2011, 09:02:35 AM »
Hope someone can help me find out info. I called springfield and asked if it has to be judge ordered on boot camp and she said no. That my hubby could put in for transfer. If he was to get into boot camp, and after finish that would he be released upon completion of the bootcamp? His charges are agg battery and theft. Hope some one can give me facts not I think .

Boot Camp from everything we know here is court ordered.  Here are some of the stipulations for being considered for boot camp while in the sentencing phase:

The Illinois Department of Corrections operates two adult boot camps and one juvenile camp. The adult camps are located at the DuQuoin State Fairground in Perry County, and at Dixon Springs, at the edge of the Shawnee National Forest in deep southern Illinois. The juvenile camp is located in Murphysboro. Adult inmates must volunteer before the judge and the placement recommendation by the judge is reviewed when the inmate is received at Corrections. Corrections administrators determine who goes to the juvenile camp. Adults may not have been convicted of a serious crime, must be between the ages of 18-35 and not have been sentenced to Corrections more than twice. They cannot have a sentence of more than 8 years. Corrections retains the right to determine who goes to boot camp based on the nature of the crime and whether the inmate can take the regimentation both physically and mentally. The camp is 120-days in length. Inmates may not have visitors for 30 days, and then only immediate family. They are also restricted from phone calls for a period of time. Inmates may possess only what Corrections gives them.

The above information is taken right from the IDOC website.

In answer to your other question, in case someone is wondering, once they are out of BC, the are put on an anklet for at least 3 months and then they serve out their MSR, like any other inmate.

Offline brimlo

« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2012, 09:35:17 AM »

Do anyone know what could not get my fiancé accepted in boot camp he's no criminal record before this he took a plea bargain and the states attorneys offered him boot camp so he was made eligible for boot camp he's 31 and he's charged with aggravated battery so they said in ten days he will know if he has been accepted or not so what will not cause him not to be acceoted in the program?

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2012, 09:58:29 AM »

Do anyone know what could not get my fiancé accepted in boot camp he's no criminal record before this he took a plea bargain and the states attorneys offered him boot camp so he was made eligible for boot camp he's 31 and he's charged with aggravated battery so they said in ten days he will know if he has been accepted or not so what will not cause him not to be acceoted in the program?

Welcome to IPT!

Once he gets to the IDOC they will determine if he goes or no, they have the final say.

If he has any health issues, this could keep him out.

IDOC will evaluate him in R&C and then if he is accepted he will wait approximately 120 days to enter the program.

Good luck to him!

Offline brimlo

« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2012, 12:16:52 PM »
Thank you I'm praying he gets accepted

Offline 2665janet

« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2012, 08:24:51 AM »
When it talks about an inmate that has to be sentenced no more than 8 years is that the original sentence or is that include the dfd part?

My LO was convicted for 10 years but he is dfd so he has 5 years. What part do they look at to see if they qualify?
Thanks Janet

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2012, 08:35:36 AM »
When it talks about an inmate that has to be sentenced no more than 8 years is that the original sentence or is that include the dfd part?

My LO was convicted for 10 years but he is dfd so he has 5 years. What part do they look at to see if they qualify?
Thanks Janet

It would be his total sentence, no more than a 8 year sentence (4yrs @50), so anyone with 9 or 10 would not be eligible.  It also depends on the offense if BC is even awarded.

Also, BC is ordered by the judge, if it's not in his MITTIMUS, it cannot be awarded by anyone after he gets to prison.  It can be denied by IDOC but not awarded if not court ordered.

Offline kariss cambi

« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2013, 11:30:14 AM »
Hey I was wondering if anyone could help me. I have a L/O in the DuQuoin BC right now and I have a daughter with him but we are not married.... He keeps telling me he will parole with me which I know he wants to BUT.....Can he??? I think you have to be married I'm not sure?? and he is my daughters daddy but I didnt put him on her Birth Certificate....PLEASE HELP I dont know??? If he can parole at my house what do I need to do to my house before his arrival?? :wc14:

Please Help me with any info any1 has Thanks
                                                                 Kariss Cambi

Offline Angela

• Mod Squad
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2013, 12:13:55 PM »
Your LO will put in his request and a Parole Agent will come to visit and see if the site is approved or not.
If he Paroles to your home then he might have a ankle bracelet, "if so" then you will have a phone line so they can hook the box up to.There are several different types of boxes that the DOC uses for the home monitoring. You can read some of the topics about it on here.

Don't worry I'm sure everything will work out for all of you.    :wc30:   

Blessings   :wc71-1:

Offline bjason

« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2013, 09:03:35 PM »
any one here been to boot camp. what is the work/workout routine?

Offline Angela

• Mod Squad
« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2013, 08:34:59 AM »
any one here been to boot camp. what is the work/workout routine?

It is very Physical and Mental.

Offline bjason

« Reply #28 on: September 30, 2013, 11:22:10 PM »
do you know how far exactly you run or how loing I can run a mile now

Offline bjason

« Reply #29 on: October 02, 2013, 02:25:46 PM »
just looking for more specifics cause I can get less time if I don't take boot camp, I just wanna know if I can make it physically

Offline ALCLove

« Reply #30 on: October 02, 2013, 02:33:01 PM »
My bf was in boot camp and he said that they would wake up at 5AM and start running for miles then go to lunch eat lunch standing up clean dormitory and go back to running miles sometimes marching and sometimes running carrying sand bags.  It is extremely physical.

Offline AuntK

« Reply #31 on: October 02, 2013, 11:39:07 PM »
bjason
Yes, yes, and yes! This program is very physical, very mental. Military style. They wake up early; run for 3 miles. They eat fast, and have to do physical training for hours. If someone does something wrong, they are all punished with more physical training. Also, they have to stand at attention for hours, days I think? After lunch, they run again, and do more PT. At DQIIP there is a huge pole they have to carry around, if being disciplined. Brutal! Be prepared, if my overweight nephew can do it in 120 days. Any strong young man can. God Bless!

Offline ccan

« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2016, 07:49:46 PM »
Does anyone know where I can could find IDOC Health Care Services Unit medical care and mental health screening form or guidelines for Impact Incarceration?

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #33 on: January 29, 2016, 04:47:13 AM »
Does anyone know where I can could find IDOC Health Care Services Unit medical care and mental health screening form or guidelines for Impact Incarceration?

Here is the full Administrative Rules Title 20 for the BC Incarceration program:

http://ilga.gov/commission/jcar/admincode/020/02000460sections.html