• November 14, 2018, 04:21:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to ILLINOIS PRISON TALK, www.illinoisprisontalk.org - A Family Support Forum and Information Center for those interacting with the Illinois Department of Corrections. IPT members are comprised of family/friends of inmates, prison reform activists, ex-offenders, prisoner rights advocates and others interested in the well-being of Illinois prisoners. We encourage open discussion but please be tolerant of other's opinions. This website is protected by Copyright © 2006-2018. All rights reserved. There are some private forums that require registration, please register.

Author Topic: Duquoin Impact Incarceration Program (IIP)  (Read 237849 times)

Offline gettingby

Re: Duquoin Impact Incarceration Program (IIP)
« Reply #60 on: October 20, 2007, 10:17:08 PM »
Hi everyone,

Well, I got my 1st call today from my son.  I was so nervous, I called consolidated last week to make sure no blocks were on my line and several times between last night and this morning I tested my line to make sure it was working.  I know, I know, it was silly, but I just wanted to make sure nothing got in the way of my 10 minutes to hear his voice.  He said although bootcamp is tough, it beats S/V.  He also told me about the 3 hour PT they had one day last week, it was very rough, he was drenched in a pool of sweat, but he made it through the day.  There are no fences surrounding them, so it feels more like a work camp, and work they do.  The work makes the days go by faster.  Saturday and Sundays are like down time, you still have PT, but no work, so you can catch up on your letters and stuff.  It's also the days when people seem to get into trouble, so you need to stay disciplined and avoid all that stuff.  They run a pretty tight ship there, it's well organized and the COs are right on top of things, it's pretty consistant.  For example, they let you know what two hour block you be making your call.  Inbound and outbound mail is also much, much faster than it was at R&C. He sounded good but rushed, he said that was because he had a lot to say in 10 minutes.  He will call me again in 2 weeks (next week he calls his Dad) so the countdown is on again- 14 days.  Boy, it was good to hear his voice.
Don't repay kindness, pass it on.

Offline BiG Sis

• His Guardian Angel & Protector
« Reply #61 on: October 21, 2007, 10:37:51 AM »
Gettingby,

I'm sooooo happy for you. So did he say what kind of work he's doing? Oh and what is PT? This is so great! ..) I can't wait until we hear from my brother. No letters at all since the first one, but he's only on his second week. How long after the first one did you have to wait for the other letters? Also, can I ask what kind of shoes did you send your son and in what did you end up shipping them? Sorry I just have so many questions and lately I'm having or we are all having that feeling like he's not ok. I can't remember what you said that was called! Then his new picture on the website is getting to us cuz he looks sooo thin and down. Sorry I have just had a rough few days. :-[
May God give each one of us the strength to live through this, each minute of each day. May this storm of life bring a beautiful rainbow at the end of it.

Offline loretjord7

• The Lord is our Shepherd.
« Reply #62 on: October 21, 2007, 12:02:59 PM »
Gettingby ,

I am so happy for you, and it sounds like your son is doing so well. I would like to know what PT is also. Even though my son has not gone as of today I believe he will be going next week. He does call on Saturdays and I fill him in on what i read on the IPT. Even though It is said that they are being shipped out twice a week by the people in Springfield, my son said that is not true. Since he has been there he said they do shipping out twice a month and if he is not shipped out with the next group It will be another two weeks before he can get his hopes up. But he did say that the COs are saying that they will be opening up a new bootcamp site. I also want to ask, will his mail follow him if he is moved before he receives any letters after being moved
I am not trying to be difficult, just trying to understand. Maybe that is my problem.

Offline gettingby

« Reply #63 on: October 21, 2007, 02:12:12 PM »
Sorry, PT is physical training.  He said it is usually 1 hour a day and then they run a mile, sometimes they run a second mile in the afternoon.  As a runner, I can tell you, 1 mile is a breeze, should not take more that 8-10 minutes, so these guys can handle it.  My son works in the work crew, they work a lot at the DuQuoin fairgrounds.  Last week they had to water the dirt down so that the wind doesn't carry it everywhere during an event.  If I were at the event, I sure would be glad that someone did that so that the dirt would not fly all over me.

Loretjord7,  I think the number of boys they bring to Vienna depends on how many graduate during the week, since they only have a certain number of beds. So some weeks they may not take a lot (or any) to Vienna.  I remember how disappointed my son would be when he knew he would be on the next shipment, only to not have a shipment that week or the next.  Then all of a sudden, they took 10-20 down for the next three weeks.  Keep the faith, the time is going to come. 

BigSis, After his 1st write out dated 09-18, which I received 9/25, I did not receive another until 10/11. Then I received 2, one he wrote on 10-6 and one he wrote 10-8, so it doesn't take long for the mail.  I sent him a letter on 10-12 and he got that on 10-16.
He already had a pair of white cross training  shoes, so I sent those.  The post office has huge priority mail envelopes which are quite strong.  He did not the the shoes yet, so I will let you know when that happens

Offline gettingby

« Reply #64 on: October 21, 2007, 05:04:40 PM »
Hi all, kind of a sad day.  I went to Jewel to go grocery shopping.  Do you believe they already have their Christmas display up? Well, I as I went by the frozen foods, I heard Christmas music playing and it made me sad to think that my son will miss Christmas this year, as well as Thanksgiving.  Then my sadness turned into anger because at the start of this, and I know you guys heard the same thing, he was supposed to be at R&C for "oh..about two weeks before going to bootcamp" Yeah, right.  Since I didn't know better, I expected to pick him up the 3rd week in October (I figured an extra week in case something came up and his start at bootcamp was delayed) I expected him home by this weekend, and I thought this would have been a great weekend to sit outside in the backyard with him, his Dad, and some family would have come by to welcome him home.  I would have had a chance to have a deep conversation with him and reflect on the events that brought him to this point in his life and what he was going to do to insure he is now on the right track.  I had visualized this in my mind since his incarceration and had him do visualization as well.  As the weeks passed, I thought, OK he won't be home in October, but at least he will be here for the holidays.  By the end of July, I thought, well, he will miss Thanksgiving, but he should by home by Christmas.  When he was moved to Vienna during the 3rd week of August, I realized that he would not be home for Christmas or New Years.  It didn't really hit me since we were in 90+ degree weather, and I was just so thrilled that he was finally moved after 3 months of waiting.  But today, when I saw the displays and heard the music, I felt like I was regressing back to June, inside I was screaming "How can you go on like nothing is wrong, don't you know where my baby is?" You know what, though, nothing is wrong for them, just me, just us.  I am glad that these "spells"  (a little Hallowween here) are a lot less frequent than they used to be.  And I am sooooo blessed that I have this great IPT family who I can share this with and not feel like I have to hide these feelings, I know we will all be here to help each other out.   I'm sure I'm not the only one who will go through this, this holiday season, and I feel so blessed that this is the only year (God willing) that I will be without him.  Again, I say  ?>?>?>  and  ./.// to IPT, I feel much better already.    :)<>89&*

Offline JForce

« Reply #65 on: October 21, 2007, 06:17:46 PM »
gettingby,

I know exactly how you feel.  I even went as far as looking into vacations during Christmas so we could avoid the whole thing.  I thought maybe my son would be in the first few weeks of BC by then, but I  didn't book it because I couldn't bear to miss a phone call in case he wasn't.  Then there is the whole guilt thing that we are out having fun and he can't be with us.
We just have to remember that we will have them for many more holidays.  They WILL get through this and so will we. 
At Thanksgiving I will give thanks for the wonderful gift I was given when my son was born.  I will give thanks for the Lord keeping him safe and strong.  I will give thanks for the "wake-up call" we received when all of this happened, knowing how much worse it could have been.
At Christmas I will remember the spirit of the holiday.  We will appreciate the next holiday season so much more.

We are truly blessed to have IPT! Stay strong!

JForce bearz (I just had to put that in for my husband!)

Offline loretjord7

« Reply #66 on: October 22, 2007, 07:01:51 AM »
Good morning to all of my Bootcamp friends,

I can truly relate to both of you. These holidays are going to be a little hard to deal with. My son usually does the dressing up to scare the children when they come to the door :)98765  and he passes out the candy and they love it. He cooks most of the Thankgiving dinner  :)/.<> and for Christmas he is always full of surprises. My son is on the borderline for bootcamp, he knows that he can not get into any more trouble when he gets out because he will be 36 years of age. He is so not wanting to go back to Stateville or any other prison for any reason so he knows what he has to do to prevent this. Right now I am banking on February for his return home, but we will see. But in the mean time we do have so much to be thankful for and so do they. We have to thank the Lord for so much not just for waking us up each day, but for our other children and family, this site, the fact that it could have been worse,and knowing prayer works, and you all are in my prayers, that and the Lord answers prayer that is why I have faith that we are going to all get through this with our head held high.
 bearz This is for me.
I am not trying to be difficult, just trying to understand. Maybe that is my problem.

Offline gettingby

« Reply #67 on: October 22, 2007, 08:55:30 PM »
JForce, Loretjord7,

Thanks ladies, I needed that.  I am thankful that he does still have a long full life ahead of him and that because of his journey, I have met a lot of truly remarkable people.  We will get through this holiday season, together.   :)<>89&*

Offline BiG Sis

« Reply #68 on: October 23, 2007, 12:11:28 AM »
Gettingby,

I'm with you on this. This weekend I also went to the mall after a long time of not being there. I saw all of the Christmas decorations up and felt nothing about the season. Christmas is my favorite time of year but this year all I want for Christmas is for him to be home with us. This is unbelievable cuz when my brother was in S/V his letters week after week would say well if I leave this week I'll be home by Christmas. Then after that time window passed he's like then maybe New Years then that passed and the letters just got more depressing cuz he knew we would not be together for the Holidays. When he was sentenced according to his lawyer he would have been home by Thanksgiving or I should say in 2 weeks. My heart is breaking right now and my stomach is sick to think back to the day he left and I telling him don't worry it's only 5 months the most. I said we will at least be together for Thanksgiving cuz that's very important to our family. Yea right! :-( Despite all of this the message I heard at church this weekend was just for me & him I believe (isn't that always the case). We are disciples of God and I believe my brother will be just that at least I pray that with all my heart. What we all have is incredible! We're in all different stages in this process but feeling the same these days. Oh yes these coming up months are gonna be very hard. I'm trying the day by day thing again. No letters yet either. :-[ Sorry to have gone on and on but feeling pretty down these last few days.

May God give each one of us the strength to live through this, each minute of each day. May this storm of life bring a beautiful rainbow at the end of it.

Offline BiG Sis

« Reply #69 on: October 23, 2007, 12:15:29 AM »
gettingby,

I know exactly how you feel.  I even went as far as looking into vacations during Christmas so we could avoid the whole thing.  I thought maybe my son would be in the first few weeks of BC by then, but I  didn't book it because I couldn't bear to miss a phone call in case he wasn't.  Then there is the whole guilt thing that we are out having fun and he can't be with us.
We just have to remember that we will have them for many more holidays.  They WILL get through this and so will we. 
At Thanksgiving I will give thanks for the wonderful gift I was given when my son was born.  I will give thanks for the Lord keeping him safe and strong.  I will give thanks for the "wake-up call" we received when all of this happened, knowing how much worse it could have been.
At Christmas I will remember the spirit of the holiday.  We will appreciate the next holiday season so much more.

We are truly blessed to have IPT! Stay strong!

JForce bearz (I just had to put that in for my husband!)
This beautiful JForce! Your right on with the wake-up call! I know exactly what you mean about the guilt thing, WOW.

Offline gettingby

« Reply #70 on: October 28, 2007, 02:04:52 PM »
Good day all,

My son got to make his second call yesterday.  His Dad and I set a schedule for him so that we both get to hear his voice and then we exchange the info, so he called his Dad yesterday. They stick to the 10 minute time limit so you might want to write down things you want to make sure you want to say.  He said things are going as well as expected.  There are a few kids that try and cause trouble, but the guards are all over that.  They won't tolerate misbehaving.  He sounds good and encouredged.  He should be allowed a visit on November 17th, so I am planning on visiting that day.  He said bring singles for the vending machines.  They eat well and he is getting in shape.  If your son has a different last name than you, you will have to fax proof that you are his mother (or father) I faxed my info last week and it has been approved for visits.  No matter, I still miss him so much.   

JForce, Lortjord7,

When my son was first at S/V, I changed my route going to my Mom's house to drive past it.  I would hold my son's picture and pray as I drove past it.  Even though he is no longer at S/V, I feel compelled to continue to drive past and pray for all the guys I know through this site. I had to go to my Mom's yesterday and drove by stateville (twice).  I prayed for all our guys who are there. 

Offline JForce

« Reply #71 on: October 28, 2007, 02:31:24 PM »
Hello my fellow bootcamper loved ones,

How lucky are we to have so many people in different stages helping each other through this ordeal?  I do not think I could have made it through (not with my sanity intact anyway) if it wasn't for all of you!
gettingby- I thank you for your prayers.  I KNOW they are working.  So it's another count down now for you until November 17th.  I will pray the time goes quickly.
Loretjord7- I know it seems like no one has moved to Vienna for a while.  I am sure they will send some soon and I will pray that your son is included in the next group.
BiGSis- I know you have a bad feeling right now, but no news is good news.  I will pray that you her from your brother soon.

Keep the faith,

JForce

Offline loretjord7

« Reply #72 on: October 28, 2007, 02:42:49 PM »
Thank you jforce, with all the prayers going up I know the blessings will be coming down. As of today still no moving out yet, but I have put it in the hands of the lord, the hardest part with that is trying not to snatch it back. I will master the let go let God do it syndrome.

Offline BiG Sis

« Reply #73 on: October 28, 2007, 09:13:13 PM »
JForce,

Thank you for your prayers. You and your son are also in my prayers. I pray that he get moved soon. This wait is horrible and seems eternal, but faith is all we have.

Thanks again for your words! ?>?>?>

Offline que77

« Reply #74 on: November 02, 2007, 12:06:27 PM »
I was just recently released from DuQoin impact incaceration program in march .......
my main problem was the amount of food that I received.....But I am a glut mouth...LOL..... and was used to eating as much as i wanted
I can tell you that there were times i was ready to throw in the towel........ But luckily i kept my head...It s difficult when your in a room with twenty other guys and there all talking and you end up getting shot for it ( shot means getting a demerit) ....they do not mess around at all c/o's will work you in a minute you will be  P.T you at the drop of a hat ...And it is a rigorous one with out a doubt

Offline Dazzler

• Editor-in-Chief
  • Administrator
  • Retired News Reporter ~ Prison Reform Advocate
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #75 on: November 02, 2007, 12:10:08 PM »
Welcome to the forum and thanks for posting from personal experience.  We have so many parents and loved ones that are so curious about the inside of these bootcamps and the procedures that are used....
~ "I have visited some of the best and the worst prisons and have never seen signs of coddling, but I have seen the terrible results of the boredom and frustration of empty hours and pointless existence." ~ US Supreme Court Justice Warren Burger

~ "An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind."
~ Mahatma Gandhi

Offline que77

« Reply #76 on: November 02, 2007, 12:25:54 PM »
I will also say and stress that letters are very important its the one thing we all look forward to daily be sure you do not send pictures that are not immediate family members ....or they will be woke up in the middle of the night ....and asked to bring an envelope and sometimes they will be given a hard time so be mindful of that also do not cuss in your letters ......the night time c/o's do not deal with the inmates directly so this is the only time they get to flex there muscle

Offline gettingby

« Reply #77 on: November 02, 2007, 04:40:25 PM »
que77, so glad you joined our site.  Got a question. when you are allowed a visitor after 60 days, and of course day 60 is on a Friday (if you have been on the quitters bunk) Do you get approved before that 60th day or on that Friday will you be notified that your visit is approved.

Offline que77

« Reply #78 on: November 02, 2007, 06:21:28 PM »
My Pleasure .....To answer your question to the best of my knowledge you will be notified before hand if you are approved........ regardless if he is on quit bunk or not ...........Now sometimes c/o's will put you on quit bunk on there own accord....... Bottom line if you keep your mouth closed and do as your told you will leave out of there unnoticed...... It takes a certain level of discipline to be able to get through this program
They don't want to quit you but they will....And if your name starts coming out of there mouth more then a few times your pegged and your boot camp stay will be hard.........I myself breezed through it as much as i could ........I'm 6'4" in shape and have a strong work ethic.......I was incarcerated for aggrivated discharge of a fire arm......... It was a matter of hanging out at the wrong place with the wrong people at the wrong time....... But it was my fault for putting myself in those situations .............But anyway i stayed to myself and kept quiet and i got good jobs and busted my butt like it was any other job ........Part of me wanted to prove to them that i am not lazy nor am i some ignorant cocky child i have a life on the outside.......And I plan on getting back to it as soon as possible..........It was hard there was times i wanted to get into fights and lose it

But i did not want to stay any longer than i had to but let me tell you sometimes i miss it honestly i miss the physical training i miss the sense of accomplishment to observe young individuals who came from horrible situations find strengths in themselves they never thought they had

Offline que77

« Reply #79 on: November 02, 2007, 06:39:57 PM »
I felt good physically and mentally .........It was not always fair........ But neither is life
and lets face it it's better than doing your time .....and you might get something out of it ........I did ...I helped individuals get there G.E.D  I was one of the older guys i was twenty nine in boot camp ..... I recently turned thirty and have a ten year old daughter ....... A buisness .... A good job ....and i am financially stable .......

And came from a broken home..... and i still made it .....Because i want better things for myself and my child

When you talk to your loved ones no matter what let them know they are loved and this is there second chance at life .......... I commend all of you because it is not easy seeing loved ones go through the system

even more so when its boot camp because they can't contact you the same as if they were in prison so there is more time to worry or i should say not knowing........make sure you let them know that you are also doing this time with them ........That it isn't easy for you either ...........I know myself my mother is currently serving twenty years for first degree murder ....... Its not easy for me but she made a choice and she was very abusive very very abusive but she is still my mom ...........

By the way my name is Corey  [edited by admin| ...........Feel free to ask any other questions