• November 14, 2018, 04:21:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to ILLINOIS PRISON TALK, www.illinoisprisontalk.org - A Family Support Forum and Information Center for those interacting with the Illinois Department of Corrections. IPT members are comprised of family/friends of inmates, prison reform activists, ex-offenders, prisoner rights advocates and others interested in the well-being of Illinois prisoners. We encourage open discussion but please be tolerant of other's opinions. This website is protected by Copyright © 2006-2018. All rights reserved. There are some private forums that require registration, please register.

Author Topic: Duquoin Impact Incarceration Program (IIP)  (Read 237848 times)

Offline gettingby

Re: Duquoin Impact Incarceration Program (IIP)
« Reply #40 on: October 15, 2007, 08:12:53 PM »
BigSis,

I got back early enough today so I thought I write. My son said that bootcamp is tough.  Everyone at bootcamp takes a GED test to see if you will be placed in a preGED class, GED class, or not qualify.  They are then placed in appropriate classes.  Everyone goes through a substance abuse program than lasts 10 weeks. Everyone must do their morning set of exercises and is assigned a job.  Here is the thing, as long as you accept that this is what you need to do to successfully complete bootcamp and not be disrespectful, time will go by fast.  Gangs and fighting are not tolerated and neither is back talk.  The majority of the guys there really just want to do their time and get home.  My son thanked me for all the letters I have sent, as well as the other letters he received from family.  He feels badly for the guys who haven't received any mail yet.
When they send letters it can only be 3 pages written on both sides.  I get his 1st call this weekend, I can't wait for that.

Don't repay kindness, pass it on.

Offline michelle

• my baby boy gregory
« Reply #41 on: October 15, 2007, 08:32:46 PM »
 This past saturday i finally got to talk to my son also who is at DQIIP.It took a month of fighting with consolidated phone survice. Gregory says he doing well, and says hes counting the days till he comes. He finally put in a visit request on saturday, He says i will be able to visit on nov 4 or nov 11. i cant wait. we are having a big suprise party the day he gets home.

Offline michelle

• my baby boy gregory
« Reply #42 on: October 15, 2007, 08:40:20 PM »
if there is any one in or around the champaign or urbana area going to DQIIP on nov 4 or the 11, i would be willing to go with and help with the cost. my car broke down dont have money to fix it. i really would love to be able to go see him.

Offline BiG Sis

• His Guardian Angel & Protector
« Reply #43 on: October 15, 2007, 11:00:35 PM »
BigSis,

I got back early enough today so I thought I write. My son said that bootcamp is tough.  Everyone at bootcamp takes a GED test to see if you will be placed in a preGED class, GED class, or not qualify.  They are then placed in appropriate classes.  Everyone goes through a substance abuse program than lasts 10 weeks. Everyone must do their morning set of exercises and is assigned a job.  Here is the thing, as long as you accept that this is what you need to do to successfully complete bootcamp and not be disrespectful, time will go by fast.  Gangs and fighting are not tolerated and neither is back talk.  The majority of the guys there really just want to do their time and get home.  My son thanked me for all the letters I have sent, as well as the other letters he received from family.  He feels badly for the guys who haven't received any mail yet.
When they send letters it can only be 3 pages written on both sides.  I get his 1st call this weekend, I can't wait for that.

Gettingby,

Thank you so much for all that info. His fiance just got a letter today. Yes it was very brief and not so much was said about the bootcamp. He mentioned the initial process was crazy. Not sure what that meant. He wrote that first night he was there. He asked for his shoes and gave us all the guidelines. He said he wouldn't be able to write for another 3 weeks. Does that sound right? I have to get movin on my letters to him.
Wow! that is so awesome that it's already 30 days that your son has been there. I can't beleive how fast that went. I'm so happy to hear that he is doing so great. The Lord is definitely in this! I pray that my brother has the same mentality as your son. I hope and pray that you have a wonderful call from your son! that is sooooo exciting!
May God give each one of us the strength to live through this, each minute of each day. May this storm of life bring a beautiful rainbow at the end of it.

Offline BootCampPrince

• Boot Camp Prince
« Reply #44 on: October 16, 2007, 12:02:32 AM »
BigSis: On the first day they are taken from the dorm style room in either Vienna or Pickneyville where they were able to walk around and talk. And then comes charging in 5-6 Boot Camp officers staring at them and yelling and screaming at them and they take them to the BootCamp where 12-15 officers are there yelling and screaming at them when they first come out. Making them turn around and running back and forth.  They  take a shower in 20seconds and get a 20 second haircut. So they get a good mouthful on the first day.

As far as righting. While he is in his Ghost Period (2 weeks) it is tough to write a lot of officers want you to learn all the rules and even if you know them all they still give u hell.

Offline BiG Sis

« Reply #45 on: October 16, 2007, 12:06:20 AM »
BCP,

Thanks! Do you know anything about the shoes? Did you get shoes mailed? We just don't want to send the wrong ones. Also he said he could only have pictures of family with his fiance in it. When I called the counselor he said he didn't care who it was??
May God give each one of us the strength to live through this, each minute of each day. May this storm of life bring a beautiful rainbow at the end of it.

Offline BootCampPrince

• Boot Camp Prince
« Reply #46 on: October 16, 2007, 12:13:00 AM »
I also forgot to mention that Duqoin is a lot simpler than Dixon Springs.  The officers are a lot nicer and its a lot easier for them.  A few of the nicer officers at Dixon Springs told us they have it easier compared to Dixon Springs.  We at Dixon Springs could not have gym shoes sent in.  But we were told they had to be All White with no other color.  A good decent pair is Nike Air Force Ones which usually cost about $60. 

Towards the end of BootCamp the officers tend to be a little more easier on you, especially if you been doing well and not a trouble maker.

As far as picture it can be ANYONE. Just no alcohol, drugs, or gang pictures. 

There is NO WAY they can tell whos your immediate family or not. 

Offline BiG Sis

« Reply #47 on: October 16, 2007, 12:17:55 AM »
This is great news. Thanks so much. I thought so about the pics!

././/

Offline loretjord7

• The Lord is our Shepherd.
« Reply #48 on: October 16, 2007, 09:57:42 AM »
BigSis,

When they send letters it can only be 3 pages written on both sides.  I get his 1st call this weekend, I can't wait for that

has it been a month already, that is just great! This information is just what the doctor ordered. I have passed all the information I could to my son so that he would be prepared with the hope that he gets it before he is transfered.
I am not trying to be difficult, just trying to understand. Maybe that is my problem.

Offline BiG Sis

« Reply #49 on: October 16, 2007, 01:45:19 PM »
BCP,

I know you posted somewhere about the graduations recently. Do you remember where cuz I can't seem to find it.

Thanks

Offline BootCampPrince

• Boot Camp Prince
« Reply #50 on: October 16, 2007, 01:56:04 PM »

Graduations are very informal and anyone can attend.  They will search you and the car to make sure there is no drugs or alcohol in the car.  I remember one kids parents came in a limo and they were kicked out because liquor was in the limo and the kid had to take the bus home.

The graduations are everyday at 9:00 and last 10 minutes.  There are some days where no one graduates.  The big graduations are on Wednesdays just because they are the ones who usually complete the program in 120 days.  Basically the rest of the BootCamp marches and chants from one end to the other.  Either the Supt. or a Lt. gives a 5 minute speech then calls the names of the graduates and they come marching in get there diploma and literally run out of there and fast as they can.

Thats all it is. Nothing fancy. And its over with very quickly.

You can also bring him a set of clothes to wear instead of what they give you, which is a pair of tight, small pants/jogging pants and a small white shirt and some Karate Shoes.  If you don't plan on making the graduation you can also mail in some clothes and/or shoes 2 weeks before he graduates.  They are picky with the shirt nothing too fancy.

Offline BiG Sis

« Reply #51 on: October 16, 2007, 02:38:55 PM »
BCP,

Thanks so much! ././/

>:)

Offline gettingby

« Reply #52 on: October 16, 2007, 09:01:12 PM »
Bootcamp Prince,  not sure if it changed since you were in.  In my son's letter he said he can only have pictures of his immediate family.  He even told his girlfriend not to send her picture.  I know there s no way they can tell who the people are, but I don't want him to risk it. 
This Saturday, I get my first call!  I called Consolidated just to make sure there are no blocks on the line, so I am good to go!!

Offline BootCampPrince

• Boot Camp Prince
« Reply #53 on: October 16, 2007, 09:14:42 PM »
I would call a counselor down there to verify.  They actually encourage pictures and letters so the inmate can keep in touch with society and can slowly adapt back.  This is news to me and if it is true I doubt it will hold.  Maybe a new Major came in......

Offline BiG Sis

« Reply #54 on: October 16, 2007, 09:22:24 PM »
Bootcamp Prince,  not sure if it changed since you were in.  In my son's letter he said he can only have pictures of his immediate family.  He even told his girlfriend not to send her picture.  I know there s no way they can tell who the people are, but I don't want him to risk it. 
This Saturday, I get my first call!  I called Consolidated just to make sure there are no blocks on the line, so I am good to go!!

Gettingby,

When I called the counselor down there he said they could have anyones pictures. Then in my brothers letter from yesterday he said only immediate family. Again maybe it's the officers rules. Those other people never know what actually goes on with the guys. If you call let me know.

Offline gettingby

« Reply #55 on: October 17, 2007, 08:56:46 PM »
If there is one thing that is consistant, it's the inconsistancy  _)(90- Do you think this is a laughing cat or is he just meowing

Offline loretjord7

• The Lord is our Shepherd.
« Reply #56 on: October 17, 2007, 10:01:11 PM »
That is a good one and funny. It has such sad eyes maybe it is meowing and that is because it it stuck.  _)(90- Hmmmm!
I am not trying to be difficult, just trying to understand. Maybe that is my problem.

Offline BiG Sis

« Reply #57 on: October 17, 2007, 10:52:57 PM »
If there is one thing that is consistant, it's the inconsistency  _)(90- Do you think this is a laughing cat or is he just meowing

Your right on! I've heard that before and I think it should be a quote for idoc!  ^%$#
This is probably what they sit at their desk's doing. That's probably why no one gets shipped out. Yea I agree with Loretjord7 I think the kitty is meowing. He looks sad, but soooo cute.

Offline michelle

• my baby boy gregory
« Reply #58 on: October 20, 2007, 08:12:57 PM »
I got a call today from my son he sais my visit was finaaly approved for sunday nov 4, 2007. If there is anyone else going then,i could really use a ride iam in urbana, illinois willing to help with gas etc, my car broke down,have no other way there. This will be the first time ive seen him since april 17, 2007. All the transportation services seem to only pick up in chicago area,not all of us can make it up there. Any other options on transportation would really help me if anyone has one.

Offline gettingby

« Reply #59 on: October 20, 2007, 09:57:41 PM »
Michelle, sent you a pm.