• November 14, 2018, 04:16:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to ILLINOIS PRISON TALK, www.illinoisprisontalk.org - A Family Support Forum and Information Center for those interacting with the Illinois Department of Corrections. IPT members are comprised of family/friends of inmates, prison reform activists, ex-offenders, prisoner rights advocates and others interested in the well-being of Illinois prisoners. We encourage open discussion but please be tolerant of other's opinions. This website is protected by Copyright © 2006-2018. All rights reserved. There are some private forums that require registration, please register.

Author Topic: Duquoin Impact Incarceration Program (IIP)  (Read 237836 times)

Offline Angela

• Mod Squad
Re: Duquoin Impact Incarceration Program (IIP)
« Reply #340 on: September 28, 2011, 09:08:49 AM »
Just got off the phone with Du Quoin BC.
Forevermah: you are correct on the pictures,only immediate Family and they are only allowed to have 3 pictures at a time. I for some reason thought that they were allowed to have 5 but guess I was wrong. Also No camera's are allowed at the graduations. I was really hoping to get a photo of my son getting his certificate but rules are rules. Everyone have a blessed day.   :wc71-1:

Offline acacia91

« Reply #341 on: September 28, 2011, 10:05:41 AM »
ugh. how will they know who his immediate family is? could i send a pic of me saying its his sister? lol weird but...still thats not fair! :( I am the only one who writes and sends letters, his family does not. So he wont have any pics the whole time then...thanks for the info.

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #342 on: September 28, 2011, 10:28:15 AM »
ugh. how will they know who his immediate family is? could i send a pic of me saying its his sister?  weird but...still thats not fair! :( I am the only one who writes and sends letters, his family does not. So he wont have any pics the whole time then...thanks for the info.

What if they wake him up in the middle of the night and ask him who the picture is of and he says, Oh, that's my GF?  This has happened to other inmates.    Are you going to tell him in a letter,  a letter that they may read, that you are going to send him a picture and tell him to say it's his sister, a lie?   Or in a phone call, that they monitor?

There are reasons they have rules and we as LO's are forced to follow them, like it or not.    I am sorry that you are his support, but he will have to do without your picture for 4 months while he goes through the program.  I would hate for him to get kicked out because you thought he needed your picture.
Do not value the "things" you have in your life - value "who" you have in your life....

“Instead of thinking about what you're missing, try thinking about what you have that everyone else is missing.”

Offline Angela

• Mod Squad
« Reply #343 on: September 28, 2011, 11:23:46 AM »
My son has told me numerous times that different ones have been woke up in the middle of the night with Questions about different things. It would be very sad if your BF was kicked out of BC because you wanted him to have a picture of you. I'm sure that he has your face in his memory/head. Good Luck I hope everything works out for you.

Offline bmonska

« Reply #344 on: September 28, 2011, 02:51:33 PM »
Life certainly isn't fair and IDOC certainly is the farthest thing from fair! Prison is a punishment. Especially BC where they break the guys down military style and try to build them back up again. Removing the personal element (pics of girlfriend or other friends) helps keep their head in the game so they can finish out the program. I'm surprised they let them have any photos of any loved one's in BC. I could see how it would be a distraction emotionally.

Offline Angela

• Mod Squad
« Reply #345 on: September 28, 2011, 03:54:47 PM »
I hear what you are saying bmonska.However my son told me that it helped him stay focused and the letters got him through each and every day. So I guess it could work either way. I strongly encourage everyone to write to their LO's in BC even if they don't receive a response right away. It is a tough program and they do break them down to where they feel they are a nobody,but once they come back up it is a wonderful thing to see.

Offline Pamalynn

« Reply #346 on: September 28, 2011, 04:13:05 PM »
I just happened to read this topic - I do not have a l/o in BC so I guess I'm talking out of class. I find it very hard to swallow the total breaking down of a human being in an effort to build them up. It seems there should be a better or at least a more humane way to do this. This is just MHO. I have had l/o's in the military & I have a problem with their methods too. I am not qualified to say this is wrong.....I'm just a softy through & through. It's probably a good thing that I didn't raise any children, I have a difficult time disciplining my dogs.  :mummy:
You can search the world for happiness, but you won't find it. Happiness is the way you travel, not a destination.

Offline acacia91

« Reply #347 on: September 28, 2011, 04:17:57 PM »
No, you all are right. I just know how much he looks forward to pictures, im pregnant so every pic is a bigger belly ya know. i wonder if I can send pictures of his daughter when she is born? At least its only 4 months!!

Offline Angela

• Mod Squad
« Reply #348 on: September 28, 2011, 04:28:42 PM »
Pamalynn, I agree to what you are saying as far as there has to be a better way. However our LO's know what they are signing up for and they are given a choice be broke down and rehabilitate or do the complete sentence.Tough decisions for such young ones to make. I thank God every day for the Boot Camp programs for saving my sons life. I am so proud of what he has become- A fine young man. I also have a spoiled dog that doesn't listen unless there is a treat involved.    :wc71-1:

Offline bmonska

« Reply #349 on: September 28, 2011, 05:09:36 PM »
No, you all are right. I just know how much he looks forward to pictures, im pregnant so every pic is a bigger belly ya know. i wonder if I can send pictures of his daughter when she is born? At least its only 4 months!!

If it's a picture of his newborn daughter, I would think they'd allow that since it's his daughter. She is immediate family. What you could do is start a scarp book of all the pregnancy pics and note the month on each page and then give it to him as a gift when he finally gets home. You could set it up from beginning to end! That would be a nice gift for him to hold on to.

I'm not saying they shouldn't have photos. I was saying I am surprised IDOC lets them have photos considering all of the rules and regulations they tend to have and make up as they go. I'm all for them having photos to focus on to help them get through the program.

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #350 on: September 28, 2011, 05:41:51 PM »
They don't make up rules as they go, their rules for bootcamp and  about pictures have been in place since I have been doing this. 

acacia91, I am sorry you are having to go through this while you are pregnant, but before you would send anything to him, even a picture of the baby once she is here, Angela or someone else will try to confirm if this would be OK.  It sounds like your baby will be here close to the time he would finish and you wouldn't want anything to hurt him in finishing even a day later, so he can get home to you and his new little girl.

This is a tough program and they have to follow rules, those that make it are lucky not to have to spend months/years sitting in and IDOC overcrowded prison.  As tough as it is, it seems to keep most on the straight and narrow and we don't see LO's of those that have gone through coming back through the doors of IPT!

Do not value the "things" you have in your life - value "who" you have in your life....

“Instead of thinking about what you're missing, try thinking about what you have that everyone else is missing.”

Offline Angela

• Mod Squad
« Reply #351 on: September 28, 2011, 07:21:05 PM »
acacia91,
 I just spoke with the CO at the Du quoin BC and this is what he stated to me.
You may send ONLY ONE photo of the sonogram as they are only allowed to have 3 pictures total in their possesion. And if you decide to send him one once the baby has arrived he will have to use his commissary money to send the old pictures back.I personally would send a picture once the baby has arrived (I would think that it would mean more to my Lo seeing the baby here in my arms) verses one I haven't delivered yet. But again it is totally up to you.
Best Wishes.Angela

Offline acacia91

« Reply #352 on: September 30, 2011, 10:44:26 AM »
Thank you all for all the support. I think thats what I will do is just wait to send him a picture once she is born. She is due Nov 22nd and the IDOC website was just updated Sept 28th saying he was at DuQuoin IIP So if he does exactly 120 days he should be home Jan 28th right?

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #353 on: September 30, 2011, 11:31:11 AM »
Thank you all for all the support. I think thats what I will do is just wait to send him a picture once she is born. She is due Nov 22nd and the IDOC website was just updated Sept 28th saying he was at DuQuoin IIP So if he does exactly 120 days he should be home Jan 28th right?

Yes, IF he completes BC in 120 days, providing he doesn't get anytime off.  They have up to 180 days to finish.  You are going to be a busy mama soon!  Congrats!

Offline acacia91

« Reply #354 on: October 06, 2011, 06:56:08 PM »
I have another question! Thankfully I have IPT, you guys are full of answers and I really appreciate it! My lo was transfered to bootcamp about a week ago Either the 27th or 28th and I still haven't recieved the first letter including the rules and all that. I thought I read that that letter is sent out the day they arrive? Wouldnt I have recieved it by now? I have taken into consideration that he is now farther away from me but not by much. Do they always send out a letter with the rules on the first day?

Offline mcre8tive

« Reply #355 on: October 13, 2011, 06:28:41 PM »
My LO arrived in DuQuoin on Tuesday, can anyone tell me what to expect? Where I can find rules and regulations? Thanks so much!

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #356 on: October 13, 2011, 06:39:09 PM »
My LO arrived in DuQuoin on Tuesday, can anyone tell me what to expect? Where I can find rules and regulations? Thanks so much!

You have to look on this board and start reading, it's all here in all these topics.  Search out the keywords at the top of this IDOC BC board. It has been posted over and over again.

Offline paulap

« Reply #357 on: October 14, 2011, 09:50:40 AM »
 :wc71-1:
Hi mcre8tive and congradulations on your L/O making it to Du Quoin!  My son has been there for 75 days now and he is doing pretty good.  This will be a big adjustment for your L/O after sitting around R & C waiting to get to boot camp so it is good if you write them often to help keep their spirits up and focused on getting through this.  Let me know if you have any questions and I will try to help.  Good luck to you and your L/O.   Paulap

Offline mcre8tive

« Reply #358 on: October 14, 2011, 10:07:23 AM »
Paulup, Thank you so much for your reply. I have been scouring this board to find information, there is plenty here and quite a bit that may be outdated?  We would like to send LO shoes! I am guessing that ALL White hasn't changed, so unless i Hear differently, we are a go with those. Here are some of my questions;

1. Will LO receive letters and books (thinking not the books) sent to him while at NRC?
2. Do we still send money for books the same way, but to new address?
3. How soon before they will allow him to have letters? Based on what I have read, is is better to keep letters short? It seems as if they will get through the screening and to LO quicker? I have been printing crossword puzzles and bible studies, current events stories to include in mail....will these things get through?
4. Comments about your LO's stay so far?

Again, really appreciate you reaching out,  :wc70:you :wc70: so :wc70: Rock :wc70:!!. Very frustrating not to know what is going on. Guess this is still the mom part of me wanting to "fix" it....but that is up to him. Really want to know the best ways and words to keep him accountable, but supportive, encouraging and positive.

mcre8tive

Offline Angela

• Mod Squad
« Reply #359 on: October 14, 2011, 03:54:20 PM »
Welcome mcre8tive   :wc12:.

White Shoes only no color what so ever.

1. Will LO receive letters and books (thinking not the books) sent to him while at NRC?

Yes he will get all letters and books in NRC. I thought that you stated he already made it to BC?
If he did make it then NO the ONLY thing they are allowed to have are Letters and Pictures.

2. Do we still send money for books the same way, but to new address?

No the only money they are allowed to have is the money they earn there.

3. How soon before they will allow him to have letters? Based on what I have read, is is better to keep letters short? It seems as if they will get through the screening and to LO quicker? I have been printing crossword puzzles and bible studies, current events stories to include in mail....will these things get through?

He will get his letters when they deliver mail to the inmates.Due to lack of funds they don't go everyday to get mail from the other institute.

I strongly advise you to listen to what Forevermah said about doing a search in thebox at the top right of the page. You will be able to find a lot of resources. Good Luck.Angela