• November 13, 2018, 10:31:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to ILLINOIS PRISON TALK, www.illinoisprisontalk.org - A Family Support Forum and Information Center for those interacting with the Illinois Department of Corrections. IPT members are comprised of family/friends of inmates, prison reform activists, ex-offenders, prisoner rights advocates and others interested in the well-being of Illinois prisoners. We encourage open discussion but please be tolerant of other's opinions. This website is protected by Copyright 2006-2018. All rights reserved. There are some private forums that require registration, please register.

Author Topic: Duquoin Impact Incarceration Program (IIP)  (Read 237673 times)

Offline galstone34

• Waiting for daddy to come home!
Re: Duquoin Impact Incarceration Program (IIP)
« Reply #200 on: April 08, 2008, 06:05:50 AM »
ty, someone said lastnite that they can only get mail from their family, is this true?

Offline shawnssweetcheeks

• We will be together again
  • The love of my life
« Reply #201 on: April 08, 2008, 06:21:53 AM »
Well foreverone's sake I hope it works but 3 dollars is the commissary there cheaper then the regular prisons? They should at least move it up to 5 thats what my Grandparents gave me for a weekly allowence. when I was in High School but they also gave me five daily for lunch.
Shawnssweetcheeks

love conquers all we are peas and carrots hunnybunny and sweetcheeks forever...true love at first sight

Offline JForce

« Reply #202 on: April 08, 2008, 06:40:32 AM »
No, they can get mail from anyone.  I think they can only have pictures of family at DuQuoin but dixon Springs doesn't care.  The more mail the better as there isn't much else to do but work.  The commissary prices are cheaper but they only have a few choices.  They cannot have food in their dorm so there is no need to purchase extra food.  If they buy a candy bar they have to eat it right then. And the soda is warm.

Offline galstone34

« Reply #203 on: April 08, 2008, 06:45:24 AM »
Thank God! my sons girlfriend writes him about six times a week.
Writers cramp or Love?

Offline loretjord7

• The Lord is our Shepherd.
« Reply #204 on: April 08, 2008, 07:59:37 AM »
Tell her to keep those letters coming. Has he made it to bootcamp yet? Did I miss that post.
I am not trying to be difficult, just trying to understand. Maybe that is my problem.

• The love of my life
« Reply #205 on: April 08, 2008, 10:15:53 AM »
It's Love  :wc3:  I guess no food in the Dorm is good no bugs. Do they eat good there then if they can't get extra food?
Shawnssweetcheeks

love conquers all we are peas and carrots hunnybunny and sweetcheeks forever...true love at first sight

Offline galstone34

« Reply #206 on: April 08, 2008, 06:11:09 PM »
he is still in Vienna but should be sent off this week or next. I will sure let you know when he does and get this ball a rolling!

Offline gettingby

« Reply #207 on: April 11, 2008, 08:07:46 PM »
At Duquoin, they are supplied with a bag of toiletries when they get there.  When they run out they use the $3 per week they are given to replenish. The item they go through the most is footpowder.  My son said he was able to buy a candy bar every week, but had to eat it there.  No food in the dorm, also no bugs in the dorm.  Actually, Duquoin is really very clean.  My son said he did eat pretty good while he was there, he would get hungry at night and then he was out of luck until breakfast.

At Duquoin, they can get letters from any one, but photos can only be of family members.  If your photo is from a wedding or something, you know how the photographer goes around to the tables to take pictures, make sure no glasses that appear to have alcohol in them appear in the photo.  Also, may sure you do not copy and paste stuff from the internet and mail that.  All that is considered contraban, the night crew has the pleasure of pulling your inmate out of bed to question you about the mail they received at about 1 am.  They will keep them up to question them for 2-3 hours, let them get back to bed about 4 am to wake up a 5:30.

This happened to my son when his dad sent him an article, he knew he couldn't send him the newspaper, so he pulled it up on the internet and printed it for him.  The article just had to do with a local news story, nothing that he could not have written to him.  His dad just felt he couldn't tell the story better than it was written already, so he just sent him the print off the internet. 

No more than 10 letters, 3 pictures, any more than that is considered contraban.
Don't repay kindness, pass it on.

• The love of my life
« Reply #208 on: April 12, 2008, 07:58:49 AM »
That's Harsh, You say they can't have copied and paste what do you mean they can't have like a newspaper pasted on a Notepad on the computer?
Shawnssweetcheeks

Offline galstone34

« Reply #209 on: April 13, 2008, 06:25:43 AM »
I talked to my son yesterday! He said he is being shipped Tuesday. the co had a list, his name was on it and he thought it had Dixon. He said a co came to answer questions and talk to them about the camp.
He also said they were twice full on all four wings. they usually run at 40 each wing, but they have 80 in each and more on the way, all coming from s/v.

Offline loretjord7

« Reply #210 on: April 13, 2008, 08:03:21 AM »
Galstone34

That is good news, your count down will start soon.
congratulations
I am not trying to be difficult, just trying to understand. Maybe that is my problem.

• The love of my life
« Reply #211 on: April 13, 2008, 08:22:09 AM »
you mean the count hasn't started yet I thought as soon as they got to SV that the count starts. that's some BS
Shawnssweetcheeks

Offline JForce

« Reply #212 on: April 13, 2008, 08:37:29 AM »
Galstone - This is awesome news!  How ironic, if your son goes to Dixon Springs on Tuesday he will likely see my son graduate. 

:wc64:

• The love of my life
« Reply #213 on: April 13, 2008, 08:40:05 AM »
 :wc22: :wc30: :wc6: That your son is Graduating.
Shawnssweetcheeks

Offline loretjord7

« Reply #214 on: April 13, 2008, 08:46:11 AM »
Shawnssweetcheeks

The whole process is a countdown.  When the courts sentece you to bootcamp it is up to IDOC to say that you will go, first of all. SO PLEASE NO MESS UPS IN S/V. Then there is the waiting countdown, waiting to go to bootcamp. Lately this may take up to 90+ days. This is the hardest part. Then once approved you have to wait until there is room for you at a bootcamp. More waiting, more countdown. Once you are at bootcamp your final waiting countdown has begun. You are counting down until your love one come home.

• The love of my life
« Reply #215 on: April 13, 2008, 08:50:06 AM »
oh that sucks
Shawnssweetcheeks

Offline gettingby

« Reply #216 on: April 14, 2008, 11:01:47 AM »
and then counting down when they are on parole, though, this count down is much easier if they are doing the right thing.

Galstone34, Glad to here your son is finally being moved!

shawnssweetcheeks, All my letters to my son were handwritten, then I made a copy of them before I mailed them down, and told my son to toss all my letters since they can only have 10 letters at a given time.  His Dad would type his letters on the comput or and print them out and mail them.  He would send him the scores for the ball games each week.  One particular week, he was in a hurry and just copied the scores from the internet and pasted them onto his letter to my son.  My son was pulled out of bed by the night crew and questioned about this (he had no clue why they were bringing him to see the night warden, or CO, whatever they are called) They had him there for about 2 hours questioning why he would get this.  Of course, my son didn't know why his dad copied and pasted.  They asked my son if he wanted them to mail it back to his dad (at my son's cost) or just rip it up.  My son told me about this on the phone.  When I asked is dad about this, he said he didn't realize that he had caused such a problem, he was just in a hurry and wanted to get a letter to my son.  So, no copying and pasting from the Internet.   :wc13:

• The love of my life
« Reply #217 on: April 14, 2008, 12:25:58 PM »
thats no fair to your son I'm sorry to hear that
Shawnssweetcheeks

Offline loretjord7

« Reply #218 on: April 14, 2008, 09:03:29 PM »
Gettingby

that is just terrible. that made a serge of anger run throw me. but it is in the past. Is that posted some where for other..............oh never mind, you just did.

Offline gettingby

« Reply #219 on: April 16, 2008, 06:14:58 PM »
They do that to all the guys at Duqoin, whenever they received questionable mail, they have the night crew deal with it.  That was the only time they woke him up, but he heard that going on a lot while he was trying to sleep.  You are right, it's in the past for me, but others are going through this everyday.  So be careful what you send, his dad felt just awful that he caused this extra stress on my son.  Isn't funny, in the big scheme of things, they caused us all this stress and sleepness nights with their actions, and we feel guilty because they lose 2 hours sleep.  Don't get me wrong, but as I write this I have to laugh at myself, of course I was pretty upset that Saturday when I talked to him on the phone.   :wc35: