• November 14, 2018, 04:21:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to ILLINOIS PRISON TALK, www.illinoisprisontalk.org - A Family Support Forum and Information Center for those interacting with the Illinois Department of Corrections. IPT members are comprised of family/friends of inmates, prison reform activists, ex-offenders, prisoner rights advocates and others interested in the well-being of Illinois prisoners. We encourage open discussion but please be tolerant of other's opinions. This website is protected by Copyright © 2006-2018. All rights reserved. There are some private forums that require registration, please register.

Author Topic: Duquoin Impact Incarceration Program (IIP)  (Read 237847 times)

Offline Ma06

Re: Duquoin Impact Incarceration Program (IIP)
« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2006, 02:13:12 PM »
Thank you BlackPeaceStone. I didn't know we could send money. I know it's been said they are on a strict schedule, so is it worth it to send them money? I'm assuming they only take money orders. One more thing, if I send a christmas card will he be able to get it?

Offline BootCampPrince

• Boot Camp Prince
« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2006, 05:18:24 PM »
Yes you can send Christmas Cards.  It took about 8 days to receive letters from Chicago to Vienna (Dixon Springs Boot Camp).  To be honest I never had any money sent in.  I just bought 2 pre-stamped envelopes every week and that was enough for me.  You barely have time to write letters. Unless he plans on writing a letter every other day then I doubt he will need money.  Money Orders, Cashiers check, and Western Union are the only ways to send money.

Offline dancer

• Account Closed
  • Account Retired
« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2006, 11:35:23 PM »
BPS,  didn't that just leave you about  $6 a month for toiletries?   That was enough?  Did they provide you with athletic shoes? 

Offline BootCampPrince

• Boot Camp Prince
« Reply #23 on: December 25, 2006, 01:10:19 AM »
They provide you with all your clothes and under garments.  Sadly, they give you "used" underwear and t-shirts.  They just wash them and give them back to you.  I know it sounds disgusting but its true.  When you first arrive they give you 3 pairs of sock, 3 pairs of underwear, 3 white t-shirts, one pair of shorts, one pair of army work boots, one pair of Chuck Taylor gym shoes, 3 work pants, 3 work shirts.  As far as cosmetics they give you all you need at first.  Here is what my monthly commissary would look like.

Dec. 1    2 stamped envelopes (.84 cents) 1 bar soap (.40 cents) 1 deodorant (.80 cents) 1 snickers (.43 cents) 1 Reeses (.43 cents) 1 bag of chips (.17 cents)
Dec 8     2 stamped envelopes (.84 cents) 1 shave gel (.80 cents) 1 foot powder (1.20)  1 bag of chips (.17 cents)
Dec 15   2 stamped envelopes (.84 cents) 1 bar soap (.40 cents)  1 notepad (.40 cents) 1 snickers (.43 cents) 1 soda (.40 cents)
Dec 21   2 stamped envelopes (.84 cents) 1 lotion (.80 cents) 1 pen (.17 cents)  1 foot powder (1.20)

Since we shower twice a day after our workouts we would need soap and deodorant pretty often.  Those are pretty much the only things you can buy off the Commissary.  And the Candy you have to eat it before leaving the area.  The only other thing you can buy is Speedstick for 2.35 but it lasts you a month. Nothing else you can buy.

If you lost your clothing items or someone stole them which happens to everyone there at least 2-3 times they take the money out of your normal account, not the $3 week account.  And if you see the nurse, which everyone sees at least 2-3 times while at BootCamp it costs $3 visit.  Which is another reason why I never had any money sent in.  You get your clothes stolen or lost and they expect you to pay and if you get hurt while working or stung by a spider while working you have to pay to see the nurse. But if you have no money in your account then the State pays :)

Offline dancer

• Account Closed
  • Account Retired
« Reply #24 on: December 25, 2006, 10:09:57 AM »
Those are very cheap prices.  I've seen quite a few commissary lists and I have seen up to  .85 for a candy bar,  .45 for a prestamped envelope, more like  .45 to .65 for a bag of chips.  The health visit costs are the same.  That is crazy people get their clothing stolen so often!  What can they do with it?

Offline BootCampPrince

• Boot Camp Prince
« Reply #25 on: December 25, 2006, 04:28:49 PM »
The reason why they steal is because either there clothes get stolen, lost, has a bunch of holes in them, or they found something newer/cleaner and don't feel liike paying for new clothes.

Offline mlb2y

« Reply #26 on: December 27, 2006, 07:23:36 PM »
 I know that they cannot receive envelopes or paper, because I have already called and asked.  I will be more than happy to ask when they are able to write, because like you, I'm anxiously awaiting some type of contact.

Offline BootCampPrince

• Boot Camp Prince
« Reply #27 on: December 27, 2006, 08:08:49 PM »
I already answered that.  They are able to write the first day.  They are given a free pre-stamped enveloped and paper to send out the first day they are there.  It doesn`t take long to send from the Camp to Chicago, only 2 days.  They can buy pre-stamped envelopes from the Commissary weekly.

Offline mlb2y

« Reply #28 on: January 01, 2007, 05:24:59 PM »
How often do boot camps hold a graduation?  My boyfriend wrote me and told me that his graduation date was postponed a day due to a medical problem.  Does this mean he will be able to graduate the following day or will it be postponed until the following week?

Offline BootCampPrince

• Boot Camp Prince
« Reply #29 on: January 01, 2007, 09:45:35 PM »
There is a graduation everyday pretty much. This happens quite often actually.  If you miss a day due to illness, injury, or don't feel like participating for the day, then that day doesn't count towards your 120 active days.  This is why you must complete 120 active days within 180 calendar days.  I came in with a group of 25 people and only 7 of us graduated within 120 days , 7 quit the program completely or were terminated because they were big trouble makers, the rest had a few day extensions because they could not participate for the day or longer extensions (7-10 days) because they got into bigger trouble.

A graduation ceremony is only about 5 minutes long and if someone is complete with there 120 days then they will graduate that day.  This is why graduations are held pretty much everyday.

Offline mlb2y

« Reply #30 on: January 01, 2007, 09:52:41 PM »
Thanks for the info.  I appreciate it!

Offline queen_jaimee

« Reply #31 on: March 08, 2007, 12:32:19 AM »
My younger brother did a 4 month stay @ Du Quoin back in 2005. He said it was VERY tough and that the guards there are pretty mean. When he first went in he got a black eye from the rim of the guards hat hitting him while they screamed in his face. I am not sure if that is how they are suppose to act. I know it took him almost 3 months to get transfered from Statesville to boot camp after they told him it would only be about 2 weeks. BUT............when he got out of there he was the most respectful kid I ever seen. He was a real punk before he went in, he didn't have any respect for anyone. When he "graduated" from there he walked standing up as straight as possible, he always looked you in the eye when you were speaking to him or even when he was talking to you, I never seen him that way. Although he was put on house arrest with the ankle bracelet for 4 months after he got out he did good for the first two. After that, he really pushed it. The day his parole officer cut his ankle bracelet off he got arrested. He is a really bad alcoholic and was a hard core drug addict. He was put back into the prison system and that was the best thing that could have happened to him. I know that sounds horrible but it truly was. He was sent to Sheridan to serve a term of 1 year. If you don't know what Sheridan is I will tell you a little about it, it is a prison designed for people that have a history of drug and alcohol abuse and offenses. That program was his cure, I think that more programs like that one should be available for the young people in todays prison population. Most of the time that is the problem. My brother got released from Sheridan in March 2006. He was put on one year parole which will be done in a little over a week. He has stayed out of trouble, off drugs, away from alcohol, and out of jail and prison for over a year. He has not been out of incarceration for more than 4 months since he was 16 years old and he is about to turn 23. I am so proud of him and glad to share his story. If you know a young (there is an age limit) male friend or family member that you think might benefit from this program make sure you tell them because I think you have to request the program and meet special requirements. It saved my brothers life and his daughter now has a father!!! Thank you!!!

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #32 on: March 08, 2007, 07:00:58 AM »
Thank you Queen Jamie, I am including the profile of Sheridan here:

Sheridan Prison Profile:

http://www.illinoisprisontalk.com/index.php/topic,5624.0.html

Could you share what knowledge you have of the program there.  Maybe your brother will share more with you, as we are always looking for any information members have of the different facilities.  Also, if he has anything more to share about boot camp, you can add it to this thread.   Welcome again  to IPT, and thank you for your informative post..

Mah

Do not value the "things" you have in your life - value "who" you have in your life....

“Instead of thinking about what you're missing, try thinking about what you have that everyone else is missing.”

Offline BiG Sis

• His Guardian Angel & Protector
« Reply #33 on: September 05, 2007, 11:42:12 PM »
anacab21,

Are u able to visit your boyfriend at Duquoin? How long has he been there? My brother is still waiting. It's been 3 months, but there's faith that he's leaving soon. Do you have any info on that bootcamp? If any I'd appreciate it.

Thanks
May God give each one of us the strength to live through this, each minute of each day. May this storm of life bring a beautiful rainbow at the end of it.

Offline BiG Sis

« Reply #34 on: October 09, 2007, 04:54:49 PM »
anacab21,

Are u able to visit your boyfriend at Duquoin? How long has he been there? My brother is still waiting. It's been 3 months, but there's faith that he's leaving soon. Do you have any info on that bootcamp? If any I'd appreciate it.

Thanks

Anyone who may be wondering. I spoke to the counselor at Duquoin bootcamp and he confirmed that we can mail tennis shoes with laces to the guys. They just have to be all white.
Also only immediate family can visit which is: Mother, Father, Sister & Brother. I thought my children would be able to come which are his niece and nephews but he said only if they are babies I will allow.
Hope this info is helpful!
May God give each one of us the strength to live through this, each minute of each day. May this storm of life bring a beautiful rainbow at the end of it.

Offline gettingby

« Reply #35 on: October 09, 2007, 06:54:58 PM »
BigSis,

Did your brother get moved to DuQuoin?
Don't repay kindness, pass it on.

Offline BiG Sis

« Reply #36 on: October 09, 2007, 09:16:48 PM »
He sure did! Now are boys are together isn't that something! It was a stressfull morning cuz he wasn't sure with how everything played out, but he made it. Thank God all the way! We spent about $1,000 on phone bills. It is insane, but I won't give that up for anything in the world. I felt that he was back with us just on a long vacation. Hope your son is doing well. I was sad not to hear from you anymore. Glad you posted me again. If you have any new info about DuQuoin please pass it on. I would so much appreciate it! Hope your doing well!

Offline michelle

• my baby boy gregory
« Reply #37 on: October 10, 2007, 09:47:11 PM »
the picture you see to the left is my son,He just turned 18 in August. He is at DQIIP. Hes to graduate Nov 28 2007. Hope he does.Still waiting to go for visit, hpoefully soon.

Offline gettingby

« Reply #38 on: October 11, 2007, 09:34:55 PM »
BigSis,

I only have a minute, but I wanted to share, I got two letters from my son.  I will share more on Tuesday, but he is doing so well.  He asked me to mail his shoes, so they are being mailed tomorrow.

Michelle,

You are so, so close to the finish line.  I'll keep you and your son in my prayers that God keep his hedge of protection around him along with all our boys and keep anything that may delay his graduation away from them.
Don't repay kindness, pass it on.

Offline BiG Sis

« Reply #39 on: October 12, 2007, 12:36:48 AM »
Ok I'll wait for your post on Tuesday. Can't wait to hear how he's doing!