• November 14, 2018, 04:30:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to ILLINOIS PRISON TALK, www.illinoisprisontalk.org - A Family Support Forum and Information Center for those interacting with the Illinois Department of Corrections. IPT members are comprised of family/friends of inmates, prison reform activists, ex-offenders, prisoner rights advocates and others interested in the well-being of Illinois prisoners. We encourage open discussion but please be tolerant of other's opinions. This website is protected by Copyright 2006-2018. All rights reserved. There are some private forums that require registration, please register.

Author Topic: Duquoin Impact Incarceration Program (IIP)  (Read 237851 times)

Offline shawnssweetcheeks

• We will be together again
  • The love of my life
Re: Duquoin Impact Incarceration Program (IIP)
« Reply #180 on: February 18, 2008, 10:08:08 PM »
loretjord7
Thank your reply I'm glad your son is getting out in a little over a month My husband has six months
Shawnssweetcheeks

love conquers all we are peas and carrots hunnybunny and sweetcheeks forever...true love at first sight

Offline gettingby

« Reply #181 on: February 19, 2008, 09:28:48 PM »
No phone call and we go down the roller-coaster.  I'm so glad to hear that it was the phone lines down because I know how we think the worst.  JForce, I know you are still on cloud nine from seeing your son.  Did you cry? I cried like a baby when I saw my son, at all three visits.  Did your son look great with all the exercise he has been doing?  I'm glad to here the area is so beautiful. I remember how pretty DuQuoin was, I told my son to find the beauty in every day outside. Will you get to visit him again?

loretjord7, less than a month!! yeah

Shawnssweetcheeks and others who are waiting for their inmates, don't fret, the time does pass quicker than you expect. Keep coming to this site for support.
Don't repay kindness, pass it on.

Offline loretjord7

• The Lord is our Shepherd.
« Reply #182 on: February 19, 2008, 09:45:58 PM »
Gettingby
Missed you this weekend.

I am not trying to be difficult, just trying to understand. Maybe that is my problem.

Offline iluvant

• Always travel in light
  • God answers all prayers.......Right on time
« Reply #183 on: February 19, 2008, 09:48:30 PM »
Does anyone know if any inmates went to bootcamp today?
Love, Light, Peace and Blessings

• The love of my life
« Reply #184 on: February 20, 2008, 12:45:19 PM »
This is my 5th time I just hate it is all I know Hate is a strong word but The Government is seeing that it's punishing the ones that we love not as punishing us in reality they are. but anyway I hope you ladies and Guys have a good day.
Shawnssweetcheeks

love conquers all we are peas and carrots hunnybunny and sweetcheeks forever...true love at first sight

Offline iluvant

• Always travel in light
  • God answers all prayers.......Right on time
« Reply #185 on: February 20, 2008, 05:31:29 PM »
shawnsweetcheeks
Did I miss something? Is everyhing ok?
Love, Light, Peace and Blessings

• The love of my life
« Reply #186 on: February 20, 2008, 09:42:57 PM »
No I'm okay I'm just missing my husband is all your okay I'm just venting
Shawnssweetcheeks

Offline galstone34

• Waiting for daddy to come home!
« Reply #187 on: March 15, 2008, 06:50:40 PM »
Well I am just starting this jorney.  My son is at Vienna waiting to get sent to duquoin. i have been reading for hours and days! i need to know more about the demerts and if they get into too much trouble, does the time jump from 120 to 180  days? thanks

Offline JForce

« Reply #188 on: March 16, 2008, 07:56:42 AM »
Hello Stoner and WELCOME to IPT! 

If your son is already in Vienna you have completed a lot of your journey already.  They usually don't know if they are going to DuQuoin or Dixon Springs until the moment they leave. My son is in Dixon Springs.

Let me try to answer your questions.  When your son is sent to boot camp he will start with 8 books of 12 demerits or 96 demerits.  They get a card of 12 to carry with them.  When they do something wrong they get "shot" or lose a demerit.  They get demerits for things such as talking when they are not supposed to, passing an officer without saying the right thing, not keeping their area spotless, not making their bed properly, not having their boots shined well enough, and countless other offenses.  When he first gets there is is a ghost he will be given the rules.  It is very important that he learn them as quickly as possible and memorize them.  Sometimes an officer will give the whole group a demerit even if only a few are doing something wrong.  If you run out of demerits (96) you go back to prison to complete your original sentence without any good time.   
The easiest way I can explain the 120/180 days is this.  They have 180 days to complete 120 days.  If they are sick, have to go to court, or are given a quit day it extends their 120 days by that many days.  They must have the program completed within 180 days.  The officers can "quit" you if they think you are not giving your all, if you screw up badly, or for any number of reasons. 
My son said that if you can DO WHAT YOU ARE TOLD AND BE QUIET you can complete the program in 120 days.  When they first get there they think it's terrible.  But it does get easier.  If they learn the rules and follow them they can make it through.  The good news is the food is much better than they are used to:)
Let me know if you have any more questions.  IPT was my lifeline when I first started this journey.  We'll be happy to help any way we can!

Offline galstone34

« Reply #189 on: March 16, 2008, 08:39:19 AM »
Thanks for all the welcomes!! Thanks for the info on the demerits.
anyone waiting for a call from Vienna, they are restricted to Saturday phone privileges only, started this week. too many fights over its use.

Offline loretjord7

« Reply #190 on: March 16, 2008, 02:03:31 PM »
STONEY

Welcome to the IPT
I am not trying to be difficult, just trying to understand. Maybe that is my problem.

• The love of my life
« Reply #191 on: March 16, 2008, 03:22:27 PM »
Welcome to IPT stoner I know a guy that we called Stoner in School
Shawnssweetcheeks

Offline gettingby

« Reply #192 on: March 18, 2008, 11:05:20 AM »
Welcome Stoner,

Just wanted to add that if that sometimes they will give the guys extra time, depending on what they have done.  I know that in Duquoin, two guys were given an extra two weeks each for "horseplay" and one was given an additional 30 days for the same thing. Jforce is right, just do exactly what is expected of you and you should finish bootcamp in 120 days.
Don't repay kindness, pass it on.

Offline galstone34

« Reply #193 on: March 29, 2008, 06:49:00 AM »
I just got a letter from my son in Vienna, he said that there is 117 guys there waiting to be sent and that the counselor was talking to them and he does not know when, that Springfield decides that, it is random.
He is reading a love story, a book called 'P.S...I Love You'

Offline JForce

« Reply #194 on: March 29, 2008, 07:14:11 AM »
Galstone-

That's the hardest part. The waiting.  Does he know where his number ranks among the 117?  Hang in there girl, he'll be moved soon!

Offline loretjord7

« Reply #195 on: March 29, 2008, 01:03:52 PM »
Galstone

hang in there the hardest part is the waiting, as Jforce has said. So keep your head up. It is easier said than done but, it will come before you know it.

Offline galstone34

« Reply #196 on: April 07, 2008, 08:20:03 PM »
please refresh my memory, can he receive letters upon arrival or is there a waiting period? This is like taking a test in school, you think you know the material until it is asked!

Offline JForce

« Reply #197 on: April 07, 2008, 08:46:12 PM »
He can receive as many letters and cards (no music cards) as you can send.  There is no waiting period.  He can't have magazines, books, newspapers, or anything printed from the Internet.  He will get one write out the day he arrives and then he must budget for them in his $3.00 weekly commissary.  At Dixon Springs they can have up to 3 pictures and it doesn't matter if it is family or not.  I am not sure about DuQuion.
 :wc2:

• The love of my life
« Reply #198 on: April 07, 2008, 08:50:16 PM »
Can I ask why they only get a 3 dollar budget a week?
Shawnssweetcheeks

Offline JForce

« Reply #199 on: April 07, 2008, 08:55:08 PM »
It's part of the boot camp process to teach them how to budget.  Like if they really want a snickers bar they may have to do without soap or something else.  It's also supposed to teach them the value of money.  I hope it worked... My son could spend with the best of them.  :wc15: