• November 14, 2018, 04:16:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to ILLINOIS PRISON TALK, www.illinoisprisontalk.org - A Family Support Forum and Information Center for those interacting with the Illinois Department of Corrections. IPT members are comprised of family/friends of inmates, prison reform activists, ex-offenders, prisoner rights advocates and others interested in the well-being of Illinois prisoners. We encourage open discussion but please be tolerant of other's opinions. This website is protected by Copyright © 2006-2018. All rights reserved. There are some private forums that require registration, please register.

Author Topic: Duquoin Impact Incarceration Program (IIP)  (Read 237834 times)

Offline gettingby

Re: Duquoin Impact Incarceration Program (IIP)
« Reply #140 on: January 27, 2008, 11:15:56 AM »
BigSis,

So 6 days now? Oh, how wonderful!!! My son worked on the outdoor crew.  I was nervous it first because I heard it was such hard work.  But my son said he loved it.  Everyday, they went to a different site, after "missing summer" because he was at S/V, he really enjoyed being outside everyday and watching the leaves turn colors and falling.  He even found the beauty in a bare tree in winter.  DuQuoin is in such a pretty area, I'm glad he was outdoors.  At Christmastime, he put up the lighting on the fairgrounds and then took it down after New Year. s   He also said he was encouraged by the fact that I run outdoors in the morning everyday unless it is colder that 0 degrees or lightning, he felt that if someone my age can do it, than he could. 

Graduation is about 10 minutes in the gym.  They are handed a certificate and then you meet them again in the visiting room and, yahoo!!!, take them home.
Don't repay kindness, pass it on.

Offline loretjord7

• The Lord is our Shepherd.
« Reply #141 on: January 27, 2008, 11:43:15 AM »
Yes Gettingby,

BigSis has 6 more days i can not wait until that short of time comes for me. Hmmmmm, but i have to. I hope my sons graduation is so simple. With him being in Dixion and they do things a little different. But I do have a question Is there a process out time?

hrye
Little Bro will be home soon, but BigSis will hopefully let us know how it went.
I am not trying to be difficult, just trying to understand. Maybe that is my problem.

Offline BiG Sis

• His Guardian Angel & Protector
« Reply #142 on: January 28, 2008, 04:32:04 PM »
Loretjord7,

Of coarse I will let you know exactly how it is. My brother made 2 very good friends that went to Dixon Springs so we're curious to compare. We obviously lost touch with them but are hoping they also graduate on the same day. We are beside ourselves everyday that goes by. They updated his info on the website so it's for real now. I had my last visit on Sat. and it was awesomeeeeeeeeeee!!!! He's a new man (not a boy) and is looking forward to a new life.

Gettingby,

I mailed out his clothes last Tuesday (Express Mail) and thank God he got it Friday or at least they told him it was there. I did end up mailing from boxers and socks to shoes. I hope your son is doing well as well as you.

Hey do you guys know how to change the picture on our profile??? Any help would be appreciated.

love2 ..)
May God give each one of us the strength to live through this, each minute of each day. May this storm of life bring a beautiful rainbow at the end of it.

Offline loretjord7

« Reply #143 on: January 29, 2008, 05:39:55 AM »
BigSis,
I am sooo happy for you and your brother, give him a  ?>?>?> when you see him the next time , which will be coming home time. Also how is your mother doing.Tell her , her wait is almost over, I still have 1 month, 2 weeks, 5 days. But I am no complaining.
I am not trying to be difficult, just trying to understand. Maybe that is my problem.

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #144 on: January 29, 2008, 07:29:22 AM »
Big Sis, you need to go to your Profile and then click on  Forum Profile Information on the left bar, and it will give you three choices to pick an avatar. If you would like a Valentine one, Dazzler can help you out with that.  Just let us know.

Do not value the "things" you have in your life - value "who" you have in your life....

“Instead of thinking about what you're missing, try thinking about what you have that everyone else is missing.”

Offline BiG Sis

« Reply #145 on: January 29, 2008, 10:13:53 AM »
Forevermah,

Thank you and yes I would like a Valentine one!
May God give each one of us the strength to live through this, each minute of each day. May this storm of life bring a beautiful rainbow at the end of it.

Offline duncan4ever

« Reply #146 on: February 01, 2008, 10:30:21 PM »
hey everyone!!
I am just beginning the journey with my boyfriend he has 3months to go!! It seems like its going to take forever until he is home!! Its good to hear that people are making it through it.. what did you guys do to make it go by faster? I can't wait untill he is home!! how are the graduations? are there hotels around there? what can you wear at the graduation? thank you for all your help!!

Offline iluvant

• Always travel in light
  • God answers all prayers.......Right on time
« Reply #147 on: February 01, 2008, 10:42:46 PM »
Which boot camp facility is better dixon springs or duquoin? my brother is being transferred monday or tuesday but he is not sure which one
Love, Light, Peace and Blessings

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #148 on: February 01, 2008, 10:44:23 PM »
DuQuoin and Dixon are the only two there are.  How long has your brother been waiting to go?
Do not value the "things" you have in your life - value "who" you have in your life....

“Instead of thinking about what you're missing, try thinking about what you have that everyone else is missing.”

Offline iluvant

• Always travel in light
« Reply #149 on: February 01, 2008, 11:21:02 PM »
He went to statesville on November 19 2007. He got transferred to vienna on January 24, 2008. I cant wait until all of this is over. It seems as though my brother is one of the lucky ones I've been reading other post and people have been waiting much longer

Offline iluvant

• Always travel in light
« Reply #150 on: February 01, 2008, 11:34:51 PM »
I understand those are the only two places you can go but which facility is better

Offline loretjord7

« Reply #151 on: February 01, 2008, 11:59:15 PM »
As long as he does what he is told,stay away from trouble and trouble makers I believe they both are about the same. Tell your  boyfriend to do a lot of running in place and exercising to get in shape. Tell him to not give up, because so many do and that the muscal pains will start to ease up after the first two weeks. Also to remember that a few weeks is much, much better than a few years.  My son is in Dixion , he is 35 and at first he thought he was going to die. but he hung in there and did not quit. There is a lot of physical exercising and discipline. Feel free to ask any thing we are here to support you and help you get through this. Without the IPT I would not have made it. And still have I my sences.  snowmangel

Offline iluvant

• Always travel in light
« Reply #152 on: February 02, 2008, 12:33:25 AM »
Its my brother not my boyfriend. I will tell him what you said but im worried because he doesnt let things bother him so im scared that they will constantly pick on him and make it harder for him. I think he can handle the excercises but im scared they are going to provoke him. Thanks for your advice

Offline JForce

« Reply #153 on: February 02, 2008, 08:42:53 AM »
iluvant,

The 2 facilities are about the same.  Some of the differences that I know of are as follows;
1. You cannot send good running shoes to the inmate at Dixon Springs but you can to DuQuoin
2. When visiting at DuQuoin you can buy things from the vending machine for your loved one and at Dixon Springs you can't (at least that is what the officer told me on the phone)
3. I'm not sure about DuQuoin, but the food is very good at Dixon Springs, even the officers eat with the inmates
4. Again, I'm not sure about DuQuoin, but at Dixon Springs there aren't jobs for everyone during the winter.
5. My son said "If you can't be quiet and do exactly what you're told you might as well do your time".  There is A LOT of quiet time and most of the guys that get into trouble bring attention to themselves by talking when they are not supposed to.  I'm sure it is the same at DuQuoin

JForce

Offline loretjord7

« Reply #154 on: February 02, 2008, 10:25:39 AM »
I am so sorry. Your brother will do OK.

Offline gettingby

« Reply #155 on: February 02, 2008, 09:29:07 PM »
I also know that at Dixon Springs, they let the boys call on holidays and at Duquoin they don't.  JForce is right, as far as rules both facilities are about the same. Just follow ALL the rules.  If they have to wonder whether or not they can do something, then don't do it.  Consequences include demerits, getting extra days tacked on, or going back to prison to do their time.  Some kids got extra time because they had broken rules, while he was there.

Offline shawnssweetcheeks

• We will be together again
  • The love of my life
« Reply #156 on: February 04, 2008, 11:58:49 AM »
My husband isn't at either place but he says that the best thing is to follow the rules and keep to yourself Writing and reading and being able to do a job works best for him. I don't know about. He was in Vienna but not at the camp.
Shawnssweetcheeks

love conquers all we are peas and carrots hunnybunny and sweetcheeks forever...true love at first sight

Offline BiG Sis

« Reply #157 on: February 05, 2008, 12:16:33 AM »
He went to statesville on November 19 2007. He got transferred to Vienna on January 24, 2008. I cant wait until all of this is over. It seems as though my brother is one of the lucky ones I've been reading other post and people have been waiting much longer

He is very lucky to only have waited 2 months. My baby brother is at DuQuoin. My brother waited 92 days in Stateville. :-[ and like 20-21 days in Vienna. The wait is the hardest. Thank God our wait is over in a few days God willing. Everyone is right there is no better bootcamp. What I have heard is that Dixon Springs is more job oriented. My brother got a job and has just minded his own business. He actually could never handle anyone yelling at him or talking down at him out in the world. He has made it and they are very tough, but there also some wonderful officers at least in DuQuoin. So I think your brother will be ok. These officers decide who they want to go after believe me. Which I will never understand why they made our visits hell. These boys made a mistake and we also have to pay when we visit them. I visited 7 times fir the full two months but every time it was something new. Also if they steal or start a fight which is bad they make them carry a log or sand bag on their shoulder for a few hours. I unfortunately witnessed that twice on our visits and it was very hard. Just have him keep to himself. If there is anything I could help u with let me or your IPT family know. This site has been a life saver for me through the hardest times of my life. If you plan on visiting him make sure as soon as he gets transfered he starts that process. If your married you will need your marriage certificate and yours and his birth certificate. Gettingby had posted that we could fax this info and I did. The process was so much faster. The counselor is the same guy for both camps. Also my little one that is 4 got have visits and he should not of because it's only immediate family, but I believe cuz he's little. So just in case you have kids. I know my kids are and were dying to see their uncle. Mail is also very slow going in, but coming from them it takes like 2-3 days. Letters are very important!!!! No swearing at all and he could only have 3 immediate family's photos. Hope this helps!

Our nephew is in Stateville waiting for bootcamp also and I'm glad to hear that it is moving along. I know my brother said they got a shipment a few weeks ago that were in the 65xxx's.

Offline gettingby

« Reply #158 on: February 09, 2008, 07:56:40 PM »
BigSis,

You made that trip 7 times, God bless you, between my son's dad and myself, we visited 5 times+ the trip to pick him up. It shouldn't be long now for your brother.  Oh, happy days.

lordtjord and JForce,

The time has to be getting cloce for you, too.  Happy day will be here again soon.

iluvand and duncan4ever,

Since you are just starting your journey, remember, you will come to the end.  The first days are so hard, but IPT will help you through these days.  BIG HUGS to you.

Offline loretjord7

« Reply #159 on: February 10, 2008, 05:39:49 AM »
Gettingby,
Just look at my little red car and watch my smoke lol . I am begining to feel a little excited right about now.  How are things going for you and your love one.