• November 13, 2018, 10:29:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to ILLINOIS PRISON TALK, www.illinoisprisontalk.org - A Family Support Forum and Information Center for those interacting with the Illinois Department of Corrections. IPT members are comprised of family/friends of inmates, prison reform activists, ex-offenders, prisoner rights advocates and others interested in the well-being of Illinois prisoners. We encourage open discussion but please be tolerant of other's opinions. This website is protected by Copyright © 2006-2018. All rights reserved. There are some private forums that require registration, please register.

Author Topic: Duquoin Impact Incarceration Program (IIP)  (Read 237672 times)

Offline Dazzler

• Editor-in-Chief
  • Administrator
  • Retired News Reporter ~ Prison Reform Advocate
    • Illinois Prison Talk
Duquoin Impact Incarceration Program (IIP)
« on: March 13, 2006, 07:17:18 PM »
Please post any information about DuQuoin Boot Camp here:

Clem Campanella, Superintendent

Facility Data
Opened: August 1, 1994
*Operational Capacity: 200
Minimum Security Adult Male
*Population Du Quoin IIP: 189

*As of 11/30/2011. Reflects bed space capacity analysis as outlined in the January 1, 2012 Quarterly Report to the Legislature.

Du Quoin IIP is a satellite facility of the Pinckneyville Correctional Center
Visiting Hours

IDOC Visitation Rules and Information -- please review before visiting

On the first visit to any correctional facility, the visitors will be required to have a photo identification, such as a driver's license, a state identification card, or acceptable documentation of non-US citizen including a current passport, visa, or Matricula, and documentation that includes their date of birth.

Please have two forms of identification; one should be a photo ID for additional visits.

IIP Inmates

Visits are only allowed after the inmate has completed the initial 60 days.

Visiting times are 1:30 p.m. to 3:30 p.m. and 3:30 p.m. to 5:30 p.m. Weekends and Holidays Only.

All visits must be approved 14 days in advance at the inmate’s request. Visits are limited to two hour intervals, immediate family only.

Visitors must arrive 15 minutes prior to their pre-approved visit time.  Due to limited seating visits are restricted to 3 adults per visit.
Facility Address

Business Mail:
275 Agriland Acres
Du Quoin, Il 62832

Phone: (618) 542-5738
Fax: (618) 542-4680

Inmate Mail:
Inmate Name & IDOC#
P.O. Box 999
Pinckneyville, IL 62274

Facility Information

The mission of Du Quoin Impact Incarceration Program as a minimum security Level 7 facility is to provide for the protection of the public through the humane and secure incarceration of adult male offenders based upon the foundation of legislative and judicial decisions. The institution's administration is committed toward instilling responsibility and mature decision making in its offenders by providing extensive and high-quality educational programs, work assignment opportunities, vigorous physical training, and religious avenues. The goal of the facility is to go far beyond the minimum necessities of food, sanitation, clothing, housing, and medical services to the offenders of the facility. The administration and staff of the facility strive to maintain a clean and safe environment for the offender population, encouraging a positive adjustment while acquiring employment skills and educational advancements that will lend to rehabilitation and reduced recidivism. Security measures are maintained to a strict degree to further ensure the safety of the community, offenders, and staff. New reentry programming has been established to further encourage the successful transition of its offenders as productive citizens within communities through structured programming.

The Du Quoin Impact Incarceration Program is a short term, paramilitary style rehabilitation program which houses 200 offenders. Du Quoin IIP functions as a Bootcamp, whereby eligible offenders approved by the sentencing court and accepted by the department, shall upon successful completion of the program requirements have their sentences reduced to time served between 120-180 active days. Upon successful completion, the offender shall serve a term of mandatory supervised release.

The center is comprised of four buildings which include the Administration, Multi-Purpose, Dormitory, and Maintenance buildings contained on eight acres of land. The facility is encircled by a one-third mile running track with a 14,000 sq. foot outside exercise area.
Inmate Programs

Academic:
    ABE (Adult Basic Education)
    GED (General Education Development)
    Drug and Alcohol Awareness Education

Vocational:
    Horticulture
    Computer Technology
    Commercial Custodial
    Food Service

Other:
    Parole School
    Religious Volunteers
    Community Service - DQIIP work crews
    TRAC 1
    Career Technologies
    12 Step Substance Abuse Program (Wells Center)

http://www2.illinois.gov/idoc/facilities/Pages/duquoinIIP.aspx
~ "I have visited some of the best and the worst prisons and have never seen signs of coddling, but I have seen the terrible results of the boredom and frustration of empty hours and pointless existence." ~ US Supreme Court Justice Warren Burger

~ "An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind."
~ Mahatma Gandhi

Offline lodoggsdmf

Re: Duquoin Impact Incarceration Program (IIP)
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2006, 07:52:16 PM »

Anyone with aloved one going to bootcamp beware, you may not hear from this person for awhile and when you do hear from them they won't exactly be able to tell you what's going on in there ,as all letters are screened by the facility's staff .if the staff does not like what is written they will not allow the letters to leave.As a former inmate at duquoin Imust say I do not agree with the way inmates are treated because I feel as though the officers like to play games with inmates and take out their personal aggressions on them,especially during intake in which they like to throw them around and hit them while they are shaving.I don't think those methods are the proper way to gain respect,granted we are in there for a reason I just don't believe physical punishment is justifiable in this country.I also believe some of the physical strain was very extreme.An inmate in bootcamp cannot convey what is going on to the outside world so don't be surprised if think their not telling you everything because their not! The most important thing you can do for them is offer encouragement to help them stick to it so they will come home soon.I saw many guys give up and go to prison to serve their full sentences and that upset me.It's tough but it can be done.Be careful what you send to them as far as your letters are concerned.The staff reads those as well if there is anything they don't like such as profanity or sexual content the Inmate may be punished for it.I hope this information is helpful.Post any questions you may have and I will try to respond. Lodoggsdmf     

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2006, 08:35:58 PM »

Thank you for all the information about Duquoin ....

I am not too  familiar with Duquoin and was wondering if it's a  men's or woman's  camp?? 
Hope you can give me more info so I can pass it on to someone else who just recently was inquiring about it ..

.>>

Do not value the "things" you have in your life - value "who" you have in your life....

“Instead of thinking about what you're missing, try thinking about what you have that everyone else is missing.”

Offline dancer

• Account Closed
  • Account Retired
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2006, 03:07:26 PM »
oh my goodness!  Well that is very good information for folks to know.  I agree with you about physical punishment.  There was a story on the tv news about a kid that died in boot camp just last week. 

Offline lodoggsdmf

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2006, 05:31:30 PM »
duquoin is a men only bootcamp

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2006, 08:08:32 PM »
Thank you for your reply lodoggsdmf   ...

Do not value the "things" you have in your life - value "who" you have in your life....

“Instead of thinking about what you're missing, try thinking about what you have that everyone else is missing.”

Offline shawnssweetcheeks

• We will be together again
  • The love of my life
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2006, 10:08:24 PM »
My sisters Ex parent instutied is Vienna Correction Center but his location says Dixon Springs Boot Camp where's that?

Lisa
Shawnssweetcheeks

love conquers all we are peas and carrots hunnybunny and sweetcheeks forever...true love at first sight

Offline JGsGirl

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2006, 11:10:54 PM »
 .).  Any info on the hotels and things in the area would be greatly appreciated.  Typically how long do they have before they have to check in for the house arrest thing? Will we at least have a littlle (*%# time? Any special rules that i should be aware of?   thanks in advance &*&
;)  Ten more weeks before I'm back in his arms ;)

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2006, 06:28:09 AM »
Jgsgirl, at some point the day he is released, he will get a visit from IDOC, to hook him up, they come and they call at ALL hours to check through the monitor, you must have a designated phone line just for it ...  I think he will be given a few hours once released to make it home, some guys when released have to take buses home, which can takes hours.

He will get all the rules and if he is paroling to your home, they will be in touch with you and you will receive rules and have to sign agreements also ..

Offline Baby girl since 66

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2006, 10:12:35 AM »
Du Quoin, Well its a small town known for the state fair, they just opened a new hotel there called Fairgrounds Inn.
They have a Mc Donalds of course, Wal Mart, and several other small eating places. It is about 18 miles for Carbondale Ill. There you can find all most anything. Hope this helps you some. I don't have any info on the boot camp except when I take my dog out walking I will see the inmates working on the fair grouds planting flowers etc.

>>

Offline Dworak03

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2006, 11:08:33 AM »
We have stayed @ the Super 8 in Du Quoin. The 24 hr Walmart is across the street. The hotel is very clean and comparatively priced. I have also stayed in Carbondale which has everything you need and then some (a mall, movie theatre and numerous eateries).

Offline alexislilmike

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2006, 07:25:52 PM »

Anyone with aloved one going to bootcamp beware, you may not hear from this person for awhile and when you do hear from them they won't exactly be able to tell you what's going on in there ,as all letters are screened by the facility's staff .if the staff does not like what is written they will not allow the letters to leave.As a former inmate at duquoin Imust say I do not agree with the way inmates are treated because I feel as though the officers like to play games with inmates and take out their personal aggressions on them,especially during intake in which they like to throw them around and hit them while they are shaving.I don't think those methods are the proper way to gain respect,granted we are in there for a reason I just don't believe physical punishment is justifiable in this country.I also believe some of the physical strain was very extreme.An inmate in bootcamp cannot convey what is going on to the outside world so don't be surprised if think their not telling you everything because their not! The most important thing you can do for them is offer encouragement to help them stick to it so they will come home soon.I saw many guys give up and go to prison to serve their full sentences and that upset me.It's tough but it can be done.Be careful what you send to them as far as your letters are concerned.The staff reads those as well if there is anything they don't like such as profanity or sexual content the Inmate may be punished for it.I hope this information is helpful.Post any questions you may have and I will try to respond. Lodoggsdmf     
how long do you hav to stay in their my bofriend was sentence to 4 mths in bootcamp but I don't know which one he is going to attend they are olding him in stateville for 2 wks I guess do you know which one he might do to

Offline Dazzler

• Editor-in-Chief
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2006, 07:32:45 PM »
Hi alexis...right now the camps appear to be full...so it's hard to say....some of our members' loved ones have been waiting over five months to get into a bootcamp...it's an awful situation...their time doesn't count whle they are waiting and some have waited longer than the actual sentence they are to serve out in bootcamp...I hate to be the bearer of bad news....if your guy does get moved to a bootcamp right away, please let us know.  Have you read the Ten Steps to Understanding the DOC?  And have you registered for VINE????   It's all in that forum on the home page...
~ "I have visited some of the best and the worst prisons and have never seen signs of coddling, but I have seen the terrible results of the boredom and frustration of empty hours and pointless existence." ~ US Supreme Court Justice Warren Burger

~ Mahatma Gandhi

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2006, 07:46:57 PM »
Alexis, I know someone who got to Stateville the beginning of October and he just went into bootcamp within the last week.  Hope this helps...

Offline mlb2y

« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2006, 09:57:43 PM »
My boyfriend just got sent to DuQuoin on Monday (December 4), and he was sent to Stateville on October 12.  I'm not trying to be rude, but I think your boyfriend might be there longer than two weeks.  Most guys are there for six to seven weeks before they get sent to camp.  My advice to you is to call Illinois Department of Corrections in Springfield to check on his paper work.  Stateville must okay his paper work, then they send it to IDOC, who must okay it, also.  Once this happens the person can go to boot camp, but this is a long process.  Best of luck!

My question is about visitation at DuQuoin.  I know on the website it says immediate family only.  I called and they confirmed what the website said.  Is this true?  Can anyone give me any advice? 

Offline Dazzler

• Editor-in-Chief
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2006, 11:38:00 PM »
I don't know if they make any exceptions....but boot camp is very strict...that's why it's short and intense....they don't allow anyone outside of the inmate's immediate family.  No friends, girlfriends, etc....You'll be able to write and I'm sure they are permitted phone calls after a certain length  of time....I know it's going to be tough for you to get through this...but writing wil help keep you both close...

~ Mahatma Gandhi

Offline mlb2y

« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2006, 04:11:39 PM »
Thank-you for the information.  I was afraid this was true, but I will find a way to make it through.  I should have prepared myself better, but I never actually thought this would be the case. 

My boyfriend told me that he could only keep up to ten letters at a time in his foot locker.  Is this true?  He got this info from another inmate at Stateville.  I'm assuming it probably is true, because the inmates usually know what they're talking about.  He told me to mail him letters once a week (I write him everyday), is this a good suggestion? 

Offline BootCampPrince

• Boot Camp Prince
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2006, 02:01:05 AM »
m1b2y: I was just released from Dixon Springs Boot camp a few months ago.  You can not have any visits for the first 60 days at Boot Camp and then after it can only be from immediate family. No exceptions.  They check id's and if the last names don't match then you need more proof such as birth certificate and such. They are very strict with this and everything else.  Also he can only have 10 letters and 3 pictures at a time.  If he gets caught with more it is considered contraband and he can get in trouble for it.  He can however send a bunch of letters home or just dispose of them after hes done with them.  He is going through a strict schedule and will have very little time to write letters.  The best way is to contact him is to write him.  At Dixon Springs it would take about 8 days total to receive a letter and 2-3 days to send one out.  They read every letter word for word. It can not have any sexual content, gang information, alcohol and drug information or anything negative.  If it does they will just tear up the letter. They also screen the pictures for sexual content and or alcohol/drugs/gangs.  He will get 1 10min phone call a week after he has been in the program for 30days.  He only gets one chance to make that call and it will be on the weekend. If no one is available he will not be given another opportunity or allowed to call someone else.  Another thing is his phone call privileges can be taken away as a form of punishment.  Be glad he is in Boot Camp and not serving his original sentence.  He should be home in no time.

If you need anything else feel free to ask.

Offline Ma06

« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2006, 06:04:35 PM »
Does anyone know when is the first time a boot camper can send a letter out? Is it after 30 days? Also, are they given paper/envelopes or do we need to send that to them?

Offline BootCampPrince

• Boot Camp Prince
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2006, 06:22:05 PM »
They are allowed to send one the first day they are at Boot Camp.  When they first arrive they are given all there essentials including a pen, notepad, and hygiene. After that they can purchase pre-stamped envelopes and a notepad from the Inmate Commissary. They are allowed to spend $3 a week to buy deodorant, soap, stamped envelopes.  If he plans on writing a lot you can send him money. That money can ONLY be used for sending out mail and can not be used on any other commissary.  The only things you are allowed to send him is money, and positive letters. No books, no magazines, no pre-stamped envelopes.