Illinois Prison Talk
News:
Welcome to ILLINOIS PRISON TALK,  www.illinoisprisontalk.org -  A Family Support Forum and Information Center for those interacting with the Illinois Department of Corrections.  IPT members are comprised of family/friends of inmates, prison reform activists, ex-offenders, prisoner rights advocates and others interested in the well-being of Illinois prisoners. We encourage open discussion but please be tolerant of other's opinions.   This website is protected by Copyright © 2006-2014.  All rights reserved. There are some private forums that require registration, please register.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. August 21, 2014, 03:13:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: DIXON Correctional Center  (Read 53227 times)
Dazzler
Administrator

Retired News Reporter ~ Prison Reform Advocate

« on: March 05, 2006, 10:28:07 AM »

Dixon Correctional Center 

Nedra Chandler, Warden 

Facility Data

Dixon Correctional Center
 Opened: July 1983
 *Operational Capacity: 2,552
 Medium Security Adult Male
 *Current Population: 2,346
 Average Age: 39
 FY2010 Average Annual Cost Per Inmate: $23,871.00

*As of 5/31/2012. Reflects bed space capacity analysis as outlined in the July 1, 2012 Quarterly Report to the Legislature.

Visiting Hours

IDOC Visitation Rules and Information—please review before visiting

Please be advised the Dixon Correctional Center visiting room will be closed on Monday, October 22, 2012 for general cleanup and maintenance.

Visitors to any correctional facility will be required to produce photo identification and verification of date of birth. Please be sure to bring 2 forms of identification with you; these would include a current photo ID such as a driver’s license, a state ID card, government ID card, military ID/driver’s license, or acceptable documentation of non-U.S. citizenship including a current Passport, or Visa, documentation must contain the visitor’s date of birth. Expired forms of identification will not be accepted. Visitors will also be required to provide vehicle information and other pertinent data, such as government identification, official credentials, attorney registration, and or law student certification.

General Population
 9:00 am to 8:00 pm with no admittance after 7:00 pm (daily)

Non-Contact
 3:00 pm to 8:00 pm with no admittance after 7:00 pm (daily)

Segregation
 9:00 am until 3:00 pm with no admittance after 2:15 pm (daily)

Additional Information for All Visits

•If you are planning on visiting Dixon Correctional Center your name must appear on the offender's approved visiting list.
•If you have been convicted of an offense other than a minor traffic violation (i.e. speeding, traffic light, seat belt, etc) you must obtain the warden’s written authorization prior to any visit.  You can obtain authorization by writing to the warden at the address provided below. In your letter you must outline the circumstance(s) of your conviction, status of probation and or parole and any pending judicial determination.  Your cooperation will assist the facility in determining your visiting privileges at Dixon Correctional Center and will avoid unnecessary travel to the facility.
•A debit card is required to purchase food and drinks from the vending machines located in the visiting room.  A debit card can be purchased at the time of any visit; you will need to have a $5.00 bill to initially purchase this card.  Once the card is purchased you may load the card with additional funds; however, you are cautioned to not to exceed a balance of $50.00. 
•Visitors are not permitted to wear suggestive, revealing, other provocation clothing.  If you have questions regarding the dress code please contact the facility prior to visiting. 
•To the ensure the safety of your children please ensure that your child(ren) are under your supervision and control at all times. 
•Cell phones are prohibited from entering the gatehouse.  You must secure your phone in your vehicle and cannot be stored in the provided visitor lockers.  

Facility Address

Business Mail:
2600 N. Brinton Avenue
 P.O. Box 1200
 Dixon, IL 61021

Inmate Mail:
Inmate Name & IDOC#
 2600 N. Brinton Avenue
 Dixon, IL 61021 

Phone: (815) 288-5561
 Fax: (815) 288-9713

Facility Information

Dixon Correctional Center fully supports the mission of the Illinois Department of Corrections (IDOC) through the development of security levels and supervision of offenders. A major focus of the center's mission is to provide a comprehensive mental health program to address the individual and group needs of the mentally ill. The center strives to provide a safe and secure environment where mentally ill and /or developmentally disabled offenders, who are in need of placement in a correctional psychiatric setting, will have the opportunity to participate in treatment and educational programs that will assist them in their ability to function productively, both within the correctional setting and in their communities upon release.

Dixon Correctional Center is distinct in its size as IDOC's largest medium security facility and is unique in its diversity. The administration of the facility is divided into specialized areas that include units housing general population inmates, older inmates with special needs, inmates with disabilities as well as an infirmary.  The Special Treatment Center (STC) is medium security center that houses both mentally ill and developmentally disabled inmates.  The Dixon Psychiatric Unit is a maximum-security unit, which serves as IDOC's primary psychiatric correctional facility. Both the Special Treatment Center and Dixon Psychiatric Unit serve the needs of the mentally handicapped and developmentally disabled offenders by providing programs geared specifically toward a "special needs" population as well as a therapeutic environment.

The Dixon Correctional Center is situated on 462 acres of land just north of the city of Dixon, with 125 acres inside the perimeter fence. The facility sidewalks, signage, parking and other walkway areas are all in compliance with American Disabilities Act (ADA) requirements.

Inmate Programs

Academic:
•ABE (Adult Basic Education)
•GED (General Education Development)
•Associate of Arts
•Associate of Liberal Studies

Vocational:
•Commercial Custodial (GP)
•Bachelor Living (STC)
•Building Maintenance (STC)
•Laundry and Dry Cleaning (STC)
•Small Business Management (GP)
•Cosmetology (GP)
•Commercial Cooking (GP)
•Construction Occupations (GP) 

Industries:
•Eyeglass

Volunteer Services:
 •Religious Programs (Worship and Bible study)
•Alcoholics Anonymous
•Literacy Program

Other:
•Life Skills
•Substance Abuse
•Anger Management
•Incarcerated Veterans Transition Program
•Leisure Time Services
•Hospice/Adult Care
•Individual Therapy
•Group Therapy
•Sex Offender Program
•Community Work Crews
•Lifestyle Redirection
•Reentry Programs

http://www2.illinois.gov/idoc/facilities/Pages/dixoncorrectionalcenter.aspx

~ "I have visited some of the best and the worst prisons and have never seen signs of coddling, but I have seen the terrible results of the boredom and frustration of empty hours and pointless existence." ~ US Supreme Court Justice Warren Burger

~ "An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind."
~ Mahatma Gandhi
dancer
Account Retired

« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2006, 03:15:17 PM »

Hi angel,
I have visited a boyhood friend of my man's at Dixon.  He gets out in three years.  I was pleasantly impressed with Dixon.  I loved that they had a child play area off the visit room.  If you ever go with a girlfriend who wants to visit someone also,  let me know.  He's a fun and handsome guy. You can visit really late there! 
HIS ANGELL FOREVER
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2006, 03:23:16 PM »

yes thank you i dont go to much i dont have a car but when i do go its nice  it's really laid back for a prison and i love the play room i was so happy to see that cause then my kids aint buggin and my husband gets an oppurtunity to interact with our little angell's well i hope to see my husband soon i let you know how the visit went
Schrader42

"Happiness is being married to your best friend."

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2006, 04:08:30 PM »

My husband is in Dixon.
dancer
Account Retired

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2006, 10:38:09 AM »

I viisted E's childhood friend at Dixon and I write him about twice a month.  He gets out in three years. 
Schrader42

"Happiness is being married to your best friend."

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2006, 01:43:09 PM »

Dixon is probably the best one of all and love the atmosphere.  Only problem, it gets too hot.  Wish my husband would come home soon but still has several years to go if his appeal doesn't go through.   .>>
babygirl21

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2006, 03:53:04 PM »

my husband is in Gram correctional facility
Aki

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2006, 07:08:49 AM »

Dixon had a rep for not being very nice to interracial couples, let me share my experience!

My ex had been at Hill for five years; he was two credits short of a BA when they decided to pull the college courses out. At the time there was only one prison left in Illinois that Knox College was still offering classes & that was Dixon, so it took some doing but I managed to get him transferred there. Three days after he got there, he called home.. one of the first things he said to me was “Boo, don’t get mad at me, but when you come visit, I cant hug or kiss you”. I asked him what the hell he was talking about and he told me that the word was they don’t like mixed couples and that everyone is telling him how folks are being charged with bogus sexual misconduct charges, the men are being transferred to Shawnee and the wives/girls are banned from visiting. So a few days later when his list cleared I went for a visit, I was waiting at the table when my husband walked in. He gave me a wink and quickly sat across from me at the table. About 15 minutes into our visit an older CO was walking past, so my ex called him over and inquired about what was allowed. He wanted to hear it straight from the horse’s mouth, so there could be no misunderstanding. The CO tells us that a short kiss & hug are permitted upon greeting and saying goodbye, and that holding hands was allowed on top of the table. (same ole poop as the rest) I think I said something like.. “see I knew you could kiss me hello” and the older CO made a crack about “if you don’t kiss her I will”. Well that visit went fine, the following week I went back for another visit. Now mind you this was well into his 10th year in, we had never been talked to about our conduct in all them years. Any ways we’re sitting across from one another again, when I see the swat team (what I call them) come into the visiting room. I said to my ex “someone’s in trouble” never for a second thinking it was us. The CO’s come up to our table, they asked my ex his name & number, then turn to me and say “mam you have to leave now”. I was devastated, while I waiting for the female CO to give me back my ID I was sobbing, the biotch never says anything to me, but she’s smirking like a fat cat. When I got home I called the prison and spoke to some assistant warden, who was absolutely no help. The next day after making a few calls and getting no information, I called a sista girlfriend of mine who also happens to be an Illinois senator. I asked her to please find out why they did us that way. She called me back within 15 minutes and this is what she was told. “That I had on an orange tube top, that my ex had his hand down my top and I had my hand between his legs” I was floored, first of all we were sitting on opposite sides of the table, second I don’t own anything orange I had on black & white and I sure as hell don’t own a tube top” Now I’m sure it was all a mistake that a simple viewing of the security videos will straightened out. Listen to this crap.. I’m told that they don’t have any security cameras, now I know they’re just lying.. to enter the visiting area you have to stand in this hall that’s next to a small room with all glass walls, where it’s nothing but monitor screens, they can see what’s going on in any section of that prison. Now I’m beyond ********.. it took them about two weeks to send me a letter informing me that my visits had been permanently banned and that in one year I could write and have a board review our case. I was like no the F they didn’t, they truly picked the wrong couple to mess with this time. I wrote one letter explaining what had happened and my side of the story.. I included my background and our prior clean 10 year visiting record. I was 40 at the time, I had never had a parking ticket even, I owned a home and was a stand up law-abiding taxpayer and someone was going to listen to me. I went to the Illinois Government site on line where I got every Senator, Congressman, The Governors and any other elected officials email address and cut & pasted that one letter to each of them. The next day I had a bunch of email responses from officials and my phone started ringing off the hook. Within two days of sending that email I had Governor Ryan’s office calling me. Now up until this point, which was about three weeks after it all started, I couldn’t get anyone to listen to me. Now I have the top officials from IDOC calling me too. I told the Governors people that I was willing to do whatever it took to clear my ex’s and my names. Well three hours later I was hooked up to a polygraph machine. Needless to say I passed that BS with flying colors, I knew I would because it was all lies they were telling. They fears retaliation against my ex, so he still had to be transferred, but now they were asking me where I wanted his placed. I got a formal letter of apology and my visits are reinstated. I’ll get back to where he was moved another time, but there’s more to this story. A lady named Mary Hodges calls me and identifies herself as the head of internal affairs for the IDOC.. at this point everything had been resolved but I was still angry and would go on and on about it to anyone who was willing to listen. She tells me they went back and listened to every conversation my ex & I had since he arrived at that facility, so they knew he had been warned about our fate long before it ever happened. She also told me that 103 sexual misconduct charges had been brought against inmate in that year alone (it was only July) and that 101 were written by those same two CO’s, and all of the couples were either mixed or black. She then told me it was unprecedented for anyone to beat those charges, that I had been the first in her many years of being with the IDOC. I can’t even imagine how many countless victims there had been before us, but I know they never expected me to fight for our rights the way I did. I suppose they view all white women who are with a black man as stupid, low life, trailer trash, well not this lady. (oh yeah that blond wench who gave me back my ID was one of the CO’s that wrote that ticket)

I hope to God the unfair practice has stopped, but if you're an interracial couple, please be careful there!

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2006, 07:58:02 AM »

OH MY WORD MY WORST  FEARS REALISED....... WHAT A STORY ... WHAT A TOTAL NIGHTMARE ! MY FIANCE IS CONSIDERING A TRANSFER TO DIXON ....... HE IS BLACK AND I AM ARAB DESCENT PLUS I AM FROM OVERSEAS ....... THERE IS PLENTY FOR US TO THINK ABOUT HERE , THANK YOU FOR THE INFO
Susan
Support Staff

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2006, 10:26:25 AM »

Wow!

I am #12!
snowbunny

Always yours always true always loving you

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2006, 11:29:09 AM »

My guy is in Dixon as a temp he is still going through court he is there now on a parole hold if the charges are dropped he can come home if not 2 yrs on the parole plus the new charges and having no car i see him very rarely and now the hostage thing has me very worried anyone who has someone there and can tell me more about it would be greatly appreciated thanks Jeanette

True love in the face of trouble never falters
snowbunny

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2006, 01:48:10 PM »

Oh godness My man is at Dixon he is black/hispanic we have had no problems as of yet thank God the guards always seem very friendly to us I suppose because  they know with the time he has spent in doc he knows the games they play plus we have the kids whom are always next to Daddy and i across the table

Lissa

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2006, 04:27:53 PM »

Hey Jeanette,
Let me know when you plan on going done since Dixon isn't that far I could take you and go site seeing in Dixon.

Melissa
snowbunny

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2006, 04:32:20 PM »

As soon as I get a new ID i usually suprise him so when you want let me  know thanx cuz

Lissa

« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2006, 04:55:48 PM »

Well u have my number so call me when you have your id and we can make a trip. I wish mine was here so we could visit together.
snowbunny

« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2006, 11:13:43 PM »

Stupid 2 hr visits they are over so quick i am used to being there all day as at dixon you can stay all day during the week if you so wish i usually go around noon and stay till 9 (except weekends whicj are 4 hrs only) i have cried leaving the last few days as i never have maybe seeing him som much is making it harder to cope but my best friend met a guy there she talks to and he has no visits usually so we are going so she can see him and i see Babe i so can not wait forr this to be over
All of you seem so much stronger than me I actually fainted in our driveway wwhen they cuffed hin knowing what would happen
How do you all stay so brave I can not do it I am a crying wreck at the moment

chitown

« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2006, 11:15:56 PM »

Hello all!! just signed up today for this forum!

My loved one is in Dixon! =)

~chi-town~
downtownchicago
Banned

« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2006, 12:29:34 PM »

Recommendation: Do not show up at Dixon for a visit shortly after 2pm because the shift change starts then and you will not be allowed to even sign in and get a locker until 3:15pm.  If there are lots of other people already waiting, it's my understanding that you might end up with an even longer wait because count is 4-5pm, so if you couldn't get in before 4pm you'd have to wait until 5pm.

I was impressed with the visiting room and the relaxed entry process.  The room is very light and bright.  But the better food in the vending area runs out quick.  I was there Sunday into the early evening and the poor people who came in after me had practically nothing decent to choose from.

We did get a warning from a female CO about sitting too closely, but she was cool after that, probably because we complied with her request.  :-)

snowbunny

« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2006, 12:35:11 PM »

Yes the atmosphere there is so relaxed and the guards I have encountred are much more friendly than where my brother is. I feel more comfortable on visits to Hubby than ll brother. The food this past Sunday was GONE  so if you go stack food quickly there are several girls myself included who go a few times a week we know where the good stuff is and get what we can so we dont miss out .

downtownchicago
Banned

« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2006, 01:57:56 PM »

Snowbunny, I was told that there is a limit of 2 weekend visits per month.  Do you know about this ?  Is this a limit on the inmate or on the visitor, i.e., can my inmate friend have only 2 weekend visits per month, or am I only allowed to be there 2 times per month ?  Thanks in advance for any info.

The food situation is definiteily iffy !  My first visit the pickings were slim.  Second visit the vending area must have just been restocked and almost everything was available, decent stuff too like hamburgers and chicken sandwiches.  Third visit (last Sunday) it was a good thing I grabbed what I did before he arrived, otherwise I would have had little to feed him !  Close to the end of the visit I wanted to get him an ice cream bar and all that was left in that machine was ONE fruit bar, everything else was gone !  So I got the fruit bar.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: