News: ILLINOIS PRISON LOCKDOWNS: 

• May 31, 2016, 05:00:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to ILLINOIS PRISON TALK, www.illinoisprisontalk.org - A Family Support Forum and Information Center for those interacting with the Illinois Department of Corrections. IPT members are comprised of family/friends of inmates, prison reform activists, ex-offenders, prisoner rights advocates and others interested in the well-being of Illinois prisoners. We encourage open discussion but please be tolerant of other's opinions. This website is protected by Copyright © 2006-2016. All rights reserved. There are some private forums that require registration, please register.

Author Topic: DIXON Correctional Center  (Read 81525 times)

Offline Dazzler

• Editor-in-Chief
  • Administrator
  • Retired News Reporter ~ Prison Reform Advocate
    • Illinois Prison Talk
DIXON Correctional Center
« on: March 05, 2006, 09:28:07 AM »
Dixon Correctional Center  

Donald Enloe, Acting Warden

Facility Data

Dixon Correctional Center
 Opened: July 1983
 *Operational Capacity: 2,552
 Medium Security Adult Male
 *Current Population: 2,346
 Average Age: 39
 FY2010 Average Annual Cost Per Inmate: $23,871.00

*As of 5/31/2012. Reflects bed space capacity analysis as outlined in the July 1, 2012 Quarterly Report to the Legislature.

Visiting Hours

IDOC Visitation Rules and Information—please review before visiting

Please be advised the Dixon Correctional Center visiting room will be closed on Monday, October 22, 2012 for general cleanup and maintenance.

Visitors to any correctional facility will be required to produce photo identification and verification of date of birth. Please be sure to bring 2 forms of identification with you; these would include a current photo ID such as a driver’s license, a state ID card, government ID card, military ID/driver’s license, or acceptable documentation of non-U.S. citizenship including a current Passport, or Visa, documentation must contain the visitor’s date of birth. Expired forms of identification will not be accepted. Visitors will also be required to provide vehicle information and other pertinent data, such as government identification, official credentials, attorney registration, and or law student certification.

Effective 12/1/2014, Dixon CC’s visiting hours will be modified to:

General Population
8:30 am to 5:30 pm with no admittance after 4:00 pm (daily); Offenders are permitted up to six (6) visits per month, with no more than two (2) on weekends or holidays.

Non-Contact
12:00 pm to 5:30 pm with no admittance after 4:00 pm (daily); Offenders in General Population, Non-contact status are limited to two (2) 1-hour visits per month to occur on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday only. No non-contact visits on weekends or holidays.

Segregation
9:00 am until 3:00 pm with no admittance after 2:15 pm (daily); Offenders in Segregation status are limited to two (2) 1-hour visits per month to occur on Tuesday and Thursday only. No Segregation visits on weekends or holidays.

Please note, should overcrowding occur, time limits will be established so all visits may be accommodated.
Additional Information for All Visits

•If you are planning on visiting Dixon Correctional Center your name must appear on the offender's approved visiting list.
•If you have been convicted of an offense other than a minor traffic violation (i.e. speeding, traffic light, seat belt, etc) you must obtain the warden’s written authorization prior to any visit.  You can obtain authorization by writing to the warden at the address provided below. In your letter you must outline the circumstance(s) of your conviction, status of probation and or parole and any pending judicial determination.  Your cooperation will assist the facility in determining your visiting privileges at Dixon Correctional Center and will avoid unnecessary travel to the facility.
•A debit card is required to purchase food and drinks from the vending machines located in the visiting room.  A debit card can be purchased at the time of any visit; you will need to have a $5.00 bill to initially purchase this card.  Once the card is purchased you may load the card with additional funds; however, you are cautioned to not to exceed a balance of $50.00.  
•Visitors are not permitted to wear suggestive, revealing, other provocation clothing.  If you have questions regarding the dress code please contact the facility prior to visiting.  
•To the ensure the safety of your children please ensure that your child(ren) are under your supervision and control at all times. 
•Cell phones are prohibited from entering the gatehouse.  You must secure your phone in your vehicle and cannot be stored in the provided visitor lockers.   

Facility Address

Business Mail:
2600 N. Brinton Avenue
 P.O. Box 1200
 Dixon, IL 61021

Inmate Mail:
Inmate Name & IDOC#
 2600 N. Brinton Avenue
 Dixon, IL 61021  

Phone: (815) 288-5561
 Fax: (815) 288-9713

Facility Information

Dixon Correctional Center fully supports the mission of the Illinois Department of Corrections (IDOC) through the development of security levels and supervision of offenders. A major focus of the center's mission is to provide a comprehensive mental health program to address the individual and group needs of the mentally ill. The center strives to provide a safe and secure environment where mentally ill and /or developmentally disabled offenders, who are in need of placement in a correctional psychiatric setting, will have the opportunity to participate in treatment and educational programs that will assist them in their ability to function productively, both within the correctional setting and in their communities upon release.

Dixon Correctional Center is distinct in its size as IDOC's largest medium security facility and is unique in its diversity. The administration of the facility is divided into specialized areas that include units housing general population inmates, older inmates with special needs, inmates with disabilities as well as an infirmary.  The Special Treatment Center (STC) is medium security center that houses both mentally ill and developmentally disabled inmates.  The Dixon Psychiatric Unit is a maximum-security unit, which serves as IDOC's primary psychiatric correctional facility. Both the Special Treatment Center and Dixon Psychiatric Unit serve the needs of the mentally handicapped and developmentally disabled offenders by providing programs geared specifically toward a "special needs" population as well as a therapeutic environment.

The Dixon Correctional Center is situated on 462 acres of land just north of the city of Dixon, with 125 acres inside the perimeter fence. The facility sidewalks, signage, parking and other walkway areas are all in compliance with American Disabilities Act (ADA) requirements.

Inmate Programs

Academic:
•ABE (Adult Basic Education)
•GED (General Education Development)
•Associate of Arts
•Associate of Liberal Studies

Vocational:
•Commercial Custodial (GP)
•Bachelor Living (STC)
•Building Maintenance (STC)
•Laundry and Dry Cleaning (STC)
•Small Business Management (GP)
•Cosmetology (GP)
•Commercial Cooking (GP)
•Construction Occupations (GP)  

Industries:
•Eyeglass

Volunteer Services:
 •Religious Programs (Worship and Bible study)
•Alcoholics Anonymous
•Literacy Program

Other:
•Life Skills
•Substance Abuse
•Anger Management
•Incarcerated Veterans Transition Program
•Leisure Time Services
•Hospice/Adult Care
•Individual Therapy
•Group Therapy
•Sex Offender Program
•Community Work Crews
•Lifestyle Redirection
•Reentry Programs

http://www2.illinois.gov/idoc/facilities/Pages/dixoncorrectionalcenter.aspx
~ "I have visited some of the best and the worst prisons and have never seen signs of coddling, but I have seen the terrible results of the boredom and frustration of empty hours and pointless existence." ~ US Supreme Court Justice Warren Burger

~ "An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind."
~ Mahatma Gandhi

Offline Liberty123

Re: DIXON Correctional Center
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2014, 11:39:51 PM »
does anyone know how the inmates get to chicago from dixon once theyre released? is it a greyhound or the amtrak, and if so, what station?

Offline Amanda.Marks

• Waiting... <3
  • He is my forever....
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2014, 12:35:02 PM »
Well, we were approved for our transfer to Dixon!!! Which is exciting and nerve racking at the same time. Although reading everyone's posts shows we could be waiting for over a year :(! Does anyone know a current commissary list for Dixon? He was looking for things he can't get there, but can get or has at IRCC. Also does anyone know if there is a trial period once you transfer in or a probationary time where there is no store/phone/visits? I know it's asking a lot... but he is freaking out, he just got settled with a job and everything literally 3 days after he put in for a transfer! It's funny how things happen!

Thanks in advance for all of the help!  :wc38:
The thought of being with you tomorrow, gives me the strength to go on today.

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2014, 02:25:43 PM »
Amanda, we have never had a full commissary list from Dixon, but if anyone has one and will scan it, we will put it up.  Hope he is moved soon.
Do not value the "things" you have in your life - value "who" you have in your life....

“Instead of thinking about what you're missing, try thinking about what you have that everyone else is missing.”

Offline Amanda.Marks

• Waiting... <3
  • He is my forever....
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2014, 03:38:02 PM »
Hello all! It's official, Wednesday R will be at Dixon! Anyone know how long the phone/visiting lists take, or do they just follow him over there? We are both excited and anxious for him to be in a new place and closer to home!

Offline Mrs Dawson

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2014, 12:31:26 AM »
Hello everyone! My fiancé will be transferring to Dixon next week. I've read a lot of comments in this post and noticed that a lot of them are from prior years. I have a few questions and was wondering if you all could help me...

1. Will my fiancés approved visiting  list follow him to Dixon or will he have to put in a new one? (I live out of state and recently purchased a plane ticket to visit him before finding out that he's being transferred. Just want to be sure I'm approved before arriving).

2. I read in a comment from 2006 that Dixon has a patio outside of the visitation room. Will I be able to walk outside with him or do we have to remain seated during the entire visit?

3. Can we sit next to each other or only across from one another during the visit?

4. Is there a photographer available to take pictures or is that only for certain facilities?

5. Can inmates in general population go to commissary weekly or is it only once per month?

I apologize for all of the questions. I just know that some of you may have recent experiences and could be of great help! Thank you all in advance!

Offline GoodGirl

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2014, 11:47:31 AM »
I can answer a few of these for you.  I too visit from out of state, so if you have any questions about lodging or food or anything, just ask.

1. Will my fiancés approved visiting  list follow him to Dixon or will he have to put in a new one? (I live out of state and recently purchased a plane ticket to visit him before finding out that he's being transferred. Just want to be sure I'm approved before arriving).

This is one I am not positive of so I do not want to give you any wrong information.

2. I read in a comment from 2006 that Dixon has a patio outside of the visitation room. Will I be able to walk outside with him or do we have to remain seated during the entire visit?

You will have to remain seated.  They discontinued that a long time ago.  One person ruins it for the rest kind of deal.

3. Can we sit next to each other or only across from one another during the visit?

You will have to sit across the table from him.  They look like fast food tables, you will notice an "O" stenciled on one of the chairs, that is the one that he has to sit in, you will need to sit across from that one.  You can hold hands the whole time with your hug & kiss in the beginning and end.

4. Is there a photographer available to take pictures or is that only for certain facilities?

There is no photographer.  :wc17:

5. Can inmates in general population go to commissary weekly or is it only once per month?

They try to let them go twice a month, but they aren't always on schedule.  He'll get used to it.

* Just some more info for you… Visiting hours begin at 9am, don't go to the parking lot before that, they may shoo you off until 9.  I have never had a negative experience when I have been there, if you are nice and respectful to the staff they do the same for you.  Don't forget your money for your vending machine card (or cards if your man eats like a pig like mine, lol)  you will need a $5 bill to purchase it, then you can load it up to $50.  The food is decent, he'll think it's awesome, lol.  Off the top of my head, that's all I can think of right now.  Good luck and enjoy your visit!!

Offline Mrs Dawson

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2014, 12:06:51 PM »
I can answer a few of these for you.  I too visit from out of state, so if you have any questions about lodging or food or anything, just ask.

This is one I am not positive of so I do not want to give you any wrong information.

You will have to remain seated.  They discontinued that a long time ago.  One person ruins it for the rest kind of deal.

You will have to sit across the table from him.  They look like fast food tables, you will notice an "O" stenciled on one of the chairs, that is the one that he has to sit in, you will need to sit across from that one.  You can hold hands the whole time with your hug & kiss in the beginning and end.

There is no photographer.  :wc17:

They try to let them go twice a month, but they aren't always on schedule.  He'll get used to it.

* Just some more info for you… Visiting hours begin at 9am, don't go to the parking lot before that, they may shoo you off until 9.  I have never had a negative experience when I have been there, if you are nice and respectful to the staff they do the same for you.  Don't forget your money for your vending machine card (or cards if your man eats like a pig like mine, lol)  you will need a $5 bill to purchase it, then you can load it up to $50.  The food is decent, he'll think it's awesome, lol.  Off the top of my head, that's all I can think of right now.  Good luck and enjoy your visit!!

Thank you so much for your reply. I am familiar with the vending cards and machines from our previous visits at Sheridan. Does Dixon's card machine allow you to use a debit card after inserting the initial $5 (cash) for the card or is it cash only? He told me that Dixon is one of the closest facilities to O'Hare airport and I am so happy for that because it means less driving. ARE there any decent hotels near by? If so, which do you recommend? The tables at Sheridan suck. They sound similar to what you described at Dixon. I'm just glad that we will be able to visit all day on weekdays and up to 4hrs on weekends. Unlike Sheridan, we were only allowed 1 extended visit every 6months because I travel great distance from Washington state. Other than that, I only got to visit him for 2hrs and I go to visit him at least once per month. I will call Dixon to get more answers. Thank you again! 😊

Offline GoodGirl

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2014, 01:54:17 PM »
The vending card machine is cash only. 

It's about a 2hr drive from the airports (I prefer Midway because I choose Southwest for frequent flyer points).  Make sure you have a lot of change for the tolls.  I thought NY was bad with tolls when I grew up there, but IL is worse, lol.

As far as the hotels go, there are 2 right in Dixon off the 88.  Super 8 and Comfort Inn.  Even tho it is much cheeper, I have never stayed at the Super 8, I hear it's a little sketchy.  Someone else may have stayed there and you can get a better opinion of it.  I like the Comfort Inn, it's clean, has a pool/hot tub, workout facility and the breakfast buffet is good.  If you choose to go with the Comfort Inn, sign up for their choice rewards program, it's free and you can earn points for future stays.  There is a Walmart right next to both of the hotels in case you forget anything and their grocery section is good.

And bring a sweater or something (nothing with zip up fronts) it's always cold in the visiting room.  I have been there in every season and have yet to not be cold. 

Offline Mrs Dawson

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2014, 04:14:06 PM »
The vending card machine is cash only. 

It's about a 2hr drive from the airports (I prefer Midway because I choose Southwest for frequent flyer points).  Make sure you have a lot of change for the tolls.  I thought NY was bad with tolls when I grew up there, but IL is worse, lol.

As far as the hotels go, there are 2 right in Dixon off the 88.  Super 8 and Comfort Inn.  Even tho it is much cheeper, I have never stayed at the Super 8, I hear it's a little sketchy.  Someone else may have stayed there and you can get a better opinion of it.  I like the Comfort Inn, it's clean, has a pool/hot tub, workout facility and the breakfast buffet is good.  If you choose to go with the Comfort Inn, sign up for their choice rewards program, it's free and you can earn points for future stays.  There is a Walmart right next to both of the hotels in case you forget anything and their grocery section is good.

And bring a sweater or something (nothing with zip up fronts) it's always cold in the visiting room.  I have been there in every season and have yet to not be cold. 

Thank you again so much GoodGirl! I always purchase a toll pass from my rental car agency. I've gotten a ticket once before and will not again! I will look into the Comfort Inn  and other near by hotels. So, we aren't allowed to wear jackets with zippers at Dixon? I also recently bought a really cute bebe sweat suit. It doesn't really look like a sweat suit but that's what it is. It's sort of on the dressy side and The top does have a zipper with a hood. Of course I'd wear a shirt under. Are they ok with leggings as long as a top is long enough to cover? Sheridan did allow that to be worn. I promise these are my last questions. Lol. I'm just so ready to get to Dixon and get our first visit over with!

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2014, 05:03:54 PM »
Mrs. Dawson, please check out our board for visiting Illinois prisons here:

http://www.illinoisprisontalk.org/index.php?board=128.0

There may be more information on visiting Dixon.
Do not value the "things" you have in your life - value "who" you have in your life....

“Instead of thinking about what you're missing, try thinking about what you have that everyone else is missing.”

Offline Mrs Dawson

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2014, 05:14:58 PM »
Mrs. Dawson, please check out our board for visiting Illinois prisons here:

http://www.illinoisprisontalk.org/index.php?board=128.0

There may be more information on visiting Dixon.

I will... Thanks Forevermah!

Offline Amanda.Marks

• Waiting... <3
  • He is my forever....
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2014, 10:40:53 PM »
Mrs. Dawson, when R was transferred to Dixon in February, his list transferred with him. He got there on Wednesday and his visiting list was approved by Friday. So hopefully the same for you guys!

Offline Mrs Dawson

« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2014, 11:24:28 AM »
Mrs. Dawson, when R was transferred to Dixon in February, his list transferred with him. He got there on Wednesday and his visiting list was approved by Friday. So hopefully the same for you guys!

Thank you Amanda.Marks. He is now transferred and settled in. I am on his approved list and all set to go. I am so looking forward to our visit. Thank you again! :wc38:

Offline Amanda.Marks

• Waiting... <3
  • He is my forever....
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2014, 03:02:24 PM »
Has anyone else heard the RUMOR going around that Dixon's warden is leaving and they are going to turn the whole facility into a mental health building and all other inmates are being shipped out in October? R heard this through the guys there, and as we know there are many false rumors rolling around, so I thought I'd see if anyone could verify or knew anything either way.

Offline zachsmom

• Support Staff
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2014, 04:13:08 PM »
Has anyone else heard the RUMOR going around that Dixon's warden is leaving and they are going to turn the whole facility into a mental health building and all other inmates are being shipped out in October? R heard this through the guys there, and as we know there are many false rumors rolling around, so I thought I'd see if anyone could verify or knew anything either way.

I haven't heard anything like that. Seems they always have to get rumors started...

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2014, 04:37:14 PM »

No we haven't heart that RUMOR.  This sure sounds like the rumors that were going around about Lawrence last year.

Don't anyone get excited about this, it is ONLY A RUMOR!

Offline Amanda.Marks

• Waiting... <3
  • He is my forever....
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2014, 08:07:01 PM »
That's what I figured, but I wanted to see if anyone had heard the same thing.

Offline MrsPerez13

« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2014, 09:03:03 PM »
Can anyone recommend a decent and cheap hotel close to the prison in Dixon? I'm traveling with my 2 kids so it needs to be clean..

Offline Jackster

• Mary Kay
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2014, 09:04:25 PM »
Comfort Inn on Galena, the kids will like it they have an indoor pool