News: ILLINOIS PRISON LOCKDOWNS: MENARD ON LEVEL ONE, NO VISITS.

• May 05, 2016, 04:55:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to ILLINOIS PRISON TALK, www.illinoisprisontalk.org - A Family Support Forum and Information Center for those interacting with the Illinois Department of Corrections. IPT members are comprised of family/friends of inmates, prison reform activists, ex-offenders, prisoner rights advocates and others interested in the well-being of Illinois prisoners. We encourage open discussion but please be tolerant of other's opinions. This website is protected by Copyright © 2006-2016. All rights reserved. There are some private forums that require registration, please register.

Author Topic: WESTERN ILLINOIS Correctional Center  (Read 59666 times)

Offline Dazzler

• Editor-in-Chief
  • Administrator
  • Retired News Reporter ~ Prison Reform Advocate
    • Illinois Prison Talk
WESTERN ILLINOIS Correctional Center
« on: March 06, 2006, 08:45:48 AM »
Post information here please
~ "I have visited some of the best and the worst prisons and have never seen signs of coddling, but I have seen the terrible results of the boredom and frustration of empty hours and pointless existence." ~ US Supreme Court Justice Warren Burger

~ "An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind."
~ Mahatma Gandhi

Peanuts

Re: WESTERN ILLINOIS Correctional Center
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2006, 08:58:53 AM »

Western Illinois Correctional Center 

Tarry Williams, Warden

Opened: April 1989
 *Operational Capacity: 2,123
 Medium Security Adult Male
 *Western Illinois Correctional Center Population: 1,882
 *Clayton County Work Camp Population: 149
 *Total Current Population: 2,031
 Average Age: 33
 FY2010 Average Annual Cost Per Inmate: $16,056.00

*As of 5/31/2012. Reflects bed space capacity analysis as outlined in the July 1, 2012 Quarterly Report to the Legislature.
 Western Illinois Correctional Center is the parent institution for Clayton Work Camp
Visiting Hours

IDOC Visitation Rules and Information
 Visitors to any correctional facility will be required to produce photo identification and verification of date of birth. Please be sure to bring 2 forms of identification with you; these would include a current photo ID such as a driver’s license, a state ID card, government ID card, military ID/driver’s license, or acceptable documentation of non-U.S. citizenship including a current Passport, or Visa, documentation must contain the visitor’s date of birth. Expired forms of identification will not be accepted. Visitors will also be required to provide vehicle information and other pertinent data, such as government identification, official credentials, attorney registration, and or law student certification.

Western Illinois Correctional Center
 8:30 a.m. to 5:30p.m. seven (7) days a week.  Offenders are permitted six (6) visits per month, with no more than two (2) on weekends or holidays.

All visitors must be checked in 1 hour before end of visiting hours

Facility Address

Business Mail:
2500 Rt. 99 South
 Mount Sterling, IL 62353

Inmate Mail:
Inmate Name & IDOC#
 2500 Rt. 99 South
 Mount Sterling, IL 62353

Phone: (217) 773-4441
 Fax: (217) 773-2202

Facility Information

Western Illinois Correctional Center adheres to the mission of the Illinois Department of Corrections, which is to protect the public from criminal offenders through a system of incarceration and supervision, which securely segregates offenders from society, assures offenders of their constitutional rights and maintains programs to enhance the success of offenders' reentry into society.

The Western Illinois Correctional Center houses general population inmates. The center has 21 buildings inside a perimeter fence surrounding 32 acres. The buildings include four housing units, administration building, health care unit, a receiving and segregation unit, dietary department, a warehouse and maintenance complex, a multi-purpose building housing academic, vocational and gymnasium, and a Correctional Industry meat processing plant.

Inmate Programs

Academic:
•ABE (Adult Basic Education)
•Pre-GED (Pre-General Education Development)
•GED (General Education Development)

Vocational:
•Automotive Technology
•Construction Occupations
•Horticulture
•Career Technology
•College Academic

Industries:
•Meat Processing

Volunteer Services:
•Religious

Other:
•Life Style Redirections
•Substance Abuse Education
•Anger Management
•Leisure Time Activity
•Chaplaincy
•Library
•Community Work Crews
•Parole School
•Individual Counseling

http://www2.illinois.gov/idoc/facilities/Pages/westernillinoiscorrectionalcenter.aspx

Offline robin in ohio

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2014, 01:11:56 AM »
Does anyone know who is the Warden now at Western?

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2014, 03:11:16 PM »
This is the new Warden at Western:

Jeff Korte, Warden 
Do not value the "things" you have in your life - value "who" you have in your life....

“Instead of thinking about what you're missing, try thinking about what you have that everyone else is missing.”

Offline jaf

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2014, 09:02:23 PM »
 :wc64:

Jeff Korte, Warden 

Oh. That makes more sense.  When I saw earlier it said Tarry Williams I thought it sounded familiar and now I know it was the old one. 

Okay, does anybody know anything about Jeff Korte?

Offline robin in ohio

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2014, 04:41:23 AM »

Jeff Korte, Warden 
:wc38:

Offline Gizgirl2

• Support Staff
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2014, 08:30:04 AM »
Just wanted to update everyone on the new warden. He is changing a lot of things. Hes already taken the new style mattresses that they gave out last year and gave everyone the clear plastic ones again. He took all the spring beds out of 1 house and gave them solid bunks. He's taking away regular size toothbrushes June 5th. Also when Orange Crush came through there they broke everyone's old style lamps and or lightbulbs. They are wanting them to use the new LED book clamp lamps that they now sale. He is going to take ink pens away and replace them with seg pens. He's wanting to put a $75 limit on commissary and take everyone's hot pots from them.  Sounds like he's trying to turn it into a Max style facility to me.

Offline jaf

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2014, 09:57:18 AM »
Just wanted to update everyone on the new warden. He is changing a lot of things. Hes already taken the new style mattresses that they gave out last year and gave everyone the clear plastic ones again. He took all the spring beds out of 1 house and gave them solid bunks. He's taking away regular size toothbrushes June 5th. Also when Orange Crush came through there they broke everyone's old style lamps and or lightbulbs. They are wanting them to use the new LED book clamp lamps that they now sale. He is going to take ink pens away and replace them with seg pens. He's wanting to put a $75 limit on commissary and take everyone's hot pots from them.  Sounds like he's trying to turn it into a Max style facility to me.

Oh my, that doesn't sound good.  Sad to hear this. 

Offline gemini12345

Western Correctional Center
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2015, 12:44:17 AM »
Hey everyone,

I've only posted on here a couple of times before. But on December 17, my boyfriend took a plea deal for 6 years. He was transferred to NRC December 18, and that was the last time he was able to call. After reading a few posts, I expected him to be at Stateville a lot longer than 13 days, but he was transferred to Western Illinois on New Year's Eve. I've seen several posts on Western, but they were from a few years ago. Does anyone know how things are there now? About how long does it take for phone and visiting lists to be approved? What are the visits like there? Are they still 22 hours in and 2 hours out?
Thank you all!!

Offline Gizgirl2

• Support Staff
Re: Transferred from NRC to Western
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2015, 07:58:31 AM »
It took about 2-3 days for the visit list to be approved. My number was already on his list so he was able to call me the next day.Visits are ok, they are strict on dress code most of the time. As far as their time out. They get an hour and a half day room everyday, also gym and yard.Everything is on a 4 day schedule there.My L/o has been in for 11 years,he's been to quite a few different prisons. He said he likes Western the least. Its pretty easy to get a job there, not sure about schooling. Anything other questions you have let me know.

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2015, 08:04:26 AM »

Do a search on the front page of IPT for Western, all the topics with information will come up, there are alot.

Rather than people sending people personal messages with information, the reason IPT was set up, was for information to be posted on these boards, passed forward, so others like you, coming here can read that information.

Thank you GizGirl for sharing on the boards !

Do not value the "things" you have in your life - value "who" you have in your life....

“Instead of thinking about what you're missing, try thinking about what you have that everyone else is missing.”

Offline gemini12345

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2015, 09:19:48 PM »
Thanks GizGirl! I was looking for updated information, since most of the things on the other boards are from several years ago.

Offline mlb2012

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2015, 06:14:31 PM »
Hi, my husband just got sent to Western yesterday.  What do you mean they are on a four day schedule? Only able to use the phone for a period of an hour and a half per day?

Offline Gizgirl2

• Support Staff
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2015, 06:19:28 PM »
They have dayroom at different times everyday. Like today my l/o had 1230 to 2pm. Tomorrow is 8pm to 930 pm Friday is 745 am to 915 am  Saturday its 630pm-8pm. Then starts over. Those will always be their dayroom times,just depends on what house he is in to know what order it goes in.

Offline mlb2012

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2015, 06:23:37 PM »
How long did you take for him to be able to call you?  Securus says my number is approved but not verified through the facility and thank you:)

Offline OnOurOwn16

« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2015, 11:58:29 AM »
mlb,

I know it took a few weeks for my number to be approved for my l/o to call. I was one of 'those' wives and kept calling up there to his counselor asking if he had submitted his phone list and if the numbers had been updated in their computer. Thankfully the counselor(s) were understanding (as I tried to be super polite) and told me that I was welcome to call back the following day or following week to see if anything had changed.
I just always found it odd how Securus has our numbers (because we have to set up an account with them to receive the calls) and my l/o would try to call me even before his list was approved by IDOC and Securus would be able to confirm that a 'call was attempted' to such and such a number BUT the number was not approved on IDOCs end. So it appears that it is on IDOC and the counselors to process the phone lists in a timely manner which is on determinate on facility and counselor handling the information. *sigh*
Stay strong, stay positive, and write, write, write!! He will call you SOON :)

Offline OnOurOwn16

« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2015, 11:59:54 AM »
I meant to include that -- even though he attempted to call to my number, it would not go through since IDOC had not updated/approved his phone list.

Offline mlb2012

« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2015, 05:39:15 PM »
OnOurOwn16,
Thank you for your advice. I'm glad you had the same situation because the same thing is happening to me.  He is attempting to make calls and they are not going through.  I called today and didn't have the same luck with friendly counselors:-/  it'd hard to stay positive but it's nice to have someone to talk to who went though and knows what it's like.  Thanks

Offline mlb2012

« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2015, 05:47:15 PM »
Also are they able to have tvs?

Offline Gizgirl2

• Support Staff
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2015, 07:04:11 PM »
Yes they can buy TV's.