Illinois Prison Talk
News:
Welcome to ILLINOIS PRISON TALK,  www.illinoisprisontalk.org -  A Family Support Forum and Information Center for those interacting with the Illinois Department of Corrections.  IPT members are comprised of family/friends of inmates, prison reform activists, ex-offenders, prisoner rights advocates and others interested in the well-being of Illinois prisoners. We encourage open discussion but please be tolerant of other's opinions.   This website is protected by Copyright © 2006-2014.  All rights reserved. There are some private forums that require registration, please register.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. October 23, 2014, 03:42:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: BIG MUDDY Correctional Center  (Read 51894 times)
dancer
Account Retired

« on: April 08, 2006, 03:26:30 AM »

Big Muddy River Correctional Center 

Zach Roeckeman, Warden 

Facility Data

Big Muddy River Correctional Center
 Opened: March 1993
 *Operational Capacity: 1,938
 Medium Security Adult Male
 *Current Population: 1,883
 Average Age: 38
 Average Annual Cost Per Inmate: $16,081

*As of 5/31/2012. Reflects bed space capacity analysis as outlined in the July 1, 2012 Quarterly Report to the Legislature.

Visiting Hours

IDOC Visitation Rules and Information—please review before visiting

Visitors to any correctional facility will be required to produce photo identification and verification of date of birth. Please be sure to bring 2 forms of identification with you; these would include a current photo ID such as a driver’s license, a state ID card, government ID card, military ID/driver’s license, or acceptable documentation of non-U.S. citizenship including a current Passport, or Visa, documentation must contain the visitor’s date of birth. Expired forms of identification will not be accepted. Visitors will also be required to provide vehicle information and other pertinent data, such as government identification, official credentials, attorney registration, and or law student certification.

General Population Offenders
 8:30 a.m. to 5:30p.m. seven (7) days a week.  Offenders are permitted six (6) visits per month, with no more than two (2) on weekends or holidays. 

All visitors must arrive by 4:00 p.m. as no visits will be allowed after that time due to the notification time and time delay in the visit processing.

Segregation Offenders
 10:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. seven (7) days a week. Offenders are only allowed to visit for one (1) hour. All visitors must arrive no later then 12:00 p.m.

Facility Address

Business Mail:
251 N. Illinois Highway 37
 Ina, IL 62846

Inmate Mail:
Inmate Name & IDOC#
 251 N. Illinois Highway 37
 Ina, IL 62846

Phone: (618) 437-5300
 Fax: (618) 437-5627

Facility Information

The Big Muddy River Correctional Center's most important goal is to ensure that the employees have a safe and secure environment in which to work, while at the same time, ensuring that offenders housed at the facility are afforded the opportunity to live in a safe and humane environment that is conducive to programming opportunities. The various programming opportunities are designed to assist inmates in bettering themselves so that they may become prepared for life in the community upon release.

The Big Muddy River Correctional Center is a medium security adult male facility, located one mile south of Ina in Jefferson County. The facility consists of a total of 20 buildings, which comprise more than 39,000 square feet. The living units consist of four X-type housing units, one receiving and orientation unit, one segregation unit and a 15-bed health care unit. The facility sits on a 78-acre site, with 38 acres enclosed by fencing.

Inmate Programs

Academic
 •ABE (Adult Basic Education)
•GED (General Education Development)
•Special Education Programs
Vocational:
•Automotive
•Construction Occupations
•Horticulture
•Culinary Arts
•Youthful Offenders Educational Program for offenders 21 and under

Other:

•Career Technology
•Life Style Redirection
•Reentry Summit
•Substance Abuse
•Sex Offender Program
•SDP (Sexually Dangerous Persons) Treatment Program
•Anger Management
•Transition Program
•Leisure Time Activity
•Chaplaincy
•Library

http://www2.illinois.gov/idoc/facilities/Pages/bigmuddyriver.aspx
Lissa

« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2006, 08:19:19 PM »

I am hearing that someone recently visiting Big Muddy was told they couldnt wear capri's. The guy's girlfriend was wearing a t-shirt that happened to shw her tummy when she raised her arms and jeans and his mom was wearing a long sleeved blouse that had  smal v-neck and they werent allowed in. What is up with that?
Surfborg

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2006, 08:57:17 PM »

Lissa,

There could be a number of reasons that Capri's were not allowed. Perhaps they were white and her undies were not.  If her t-shirt was short enough to show her tummy for any reason that would be a no-no.  Cleaveage is also a no-no.  It also depends on who is on duty at the time.  One person made us change my son's diaper, another one didn't.

I am hearing that someone recently visiting Big Muddy was told they couldn't wear capri's. The guy's girlfriend was wearing a t-shirt that happened to shw her tummy when she raised her arms and jeans and his mom was wearing a long sleeved blouse that had  smal v-neck and they werent allowed in. What is up with that?

"Resistance is ... really fun!"
                                      Ricky of Borg
HazelEyedMom

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2006, 06:40:08 PM »

I was just at Big Muddy and I wore capri's and I even asked if they wehre Ok and the guard told me yes.    But I also seen ladies with no sleeves and one with her belly hanging out.  I guess it all depends on who he Co's are I am told.   It was my first visit and I had no problems at all.

Kitten1956

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2007, 10:08:24 PM »

Hi Everyone!!!

Does anyone know how often an inmate can shower and shave at Big Muddy??  Or what the schedule is for shower-taking??

Thanks for any answers!!!
DublTrubl

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2007, 01:41:30 PM »

The shower facilities are open during each of the day room times (as long as lock down is not in effect).  Inmates can utilize the facilities as they wish. Of course, sometimes they might have to wait in line, but they are available daily.
DublTrubl

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2007, 10:43:12 PM »

Hi All. Just a heads up, the Mud has put a couple new rules in effect. The first took effect immediately, and that is assigned seating. Each table now has one seat that has an "I" on it, that's where the inmate must sit. That one isn't really a big deal, the second one which takes effect NOVEMBER 1 is the one that could cause some IPT members some inconvenience if they aren't aware of it ahead of time. The visiting hours will change (again this starts NOV.1)  to 8:00a.m. to 6:00p.m. 7 days a week. No admittance after 4:00p.m. due to processing time, etc.

I was told by one C.O. that if this time change was an inconvenience, for anyone concerned to write letters to the warden director and any politician that they knew. Supposedly the reasoning behind the time change is to cut down on overtime, but according to C.O. is actually going to make additional O.T.

For all of those that have long travel times, you might need to rethink your next visit. Hopefully you all get this information ahead of time so that your visits aren't ruined by change of rules.
His Lovely Angel

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2007, 05:25:06 PM »

i was just wondering does anyone know what time the guys at the MUDD are allowed out of there cells during the day. My guy told me that he was going to call today but i still havent got no call. he said they are only allowed out for three hours a day and its broke up 1 hours here 1 hour there . i was wondering does any of lovley ladies here KNOW WHAT THOSE HOURS ARE
FW

« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2007, 02:29:28 AM »

They probably let them out during chow time 3 times a day.  That's generally around 4:30 am, 10:00am, and 4:00pm.... or within 30 minutes to an hour after that.

His Lovely Angel

« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2007, 01:18:43 PM »

Ive gotten calls between 8and 9 am and between 12 and 2 pm
FW

« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2007, 02:41:21 PM »

That might be during shower time, and/or time where inmates get called to go and see the IDOC counselor.  They do space out the times when they're out, but truly the time is quite short if they're not in a program.

His Lovely Angel

« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2007, 03:05:07 PM »

yea what he said exactly is they get three hours out a day but is 1 hour here and there and he never know when its going to be really    .. 21 hours in they cell ......what the heck is this baby TAMM
FW

« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2007, 04:55:45 AM »

Yes... that's why people try to get into taking classes or into a program, or working somewhere in the prison.  Being locked up 21 hours a day is really pretty tough.  Has he thought about doing one of those things to help pass his time while he's in there?

DublTrubl

« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2007, 12:27:14 PM »

They are on a set schedule for the "out" times. It depends on if they are on the top deck or bottom deck of the "house" which schedule they are on. I'm not sure which deck is which, but one of the schedules is: M,W,F,Su night they are out from 7:30 - 8:30, then twice during the day, once around 1:00 and once earlier in the morning (Sorry don't know the exact morning time). T,Th,Sa nights they get out twice, 6:30-7:30 and 8:30-9:30, during the day it's around noon. Of course all the times fluctuate a little - by 10 minutes or so - depending on what else is going on. These times don't include chow times, but they have very little time to do anything besides eat at that time. If they have call passes to health care or counselors, etc. they are not allowed to do anything else but whatever the call pass is for -- can't sneak a shower or phone call, etc. Of course, these times don't include any time out that they have for classes if they are enrolled in those. I had heard that those inmates in 4 house have more free time than the other 3 units, but I don't know this to be factual. Hope this helps!!
His Lovely Angel

« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2007, 03:31:51 PM »

on mondays they get out between 8- 9 am and between  1-2 pm i know because ive revieved calls at those times
FW

« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2007, 09:31:26 PM »

Yes, it appears that people in 4 house do seem to have more time free than others.  Some of the CO's don't like it too well and sometimes give the inmates on the wing a hard time....at least on the substance abuse wing.  Many of them think all inmates should be locked up 21 hours a day without variation. 

jlnjy

« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2008, 12:23:49 AM »

Does anyone know what the visiting room is like from recent experience? Do the tables have chairs with backs or is it just a seat that you have to straddle?
lshuizen

« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2008, 09:13:24 AM »

Most of the tables are like picnic tables, some square and some round with no backs but I think there are a few
little square ones up front by the vending machines that the chairs do have backs. They tell you where to sit so you never know what kind of table you will have to sit at.

lsh
jlnjy

« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2008, 05:08:12 PM »

Thanks for the information. I wondered about the backs to the chairs because its hard on his elderly parents to sit on the stools. It's really not that comfortable to me (i had back surgery a few years ago) so when he was at Graham for a little while his mom was happy because of the backs on the chairs.
iqyou

« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2008, 04:42:07 PM »

They are just the regular tables with the seats attached (so no backs on them).  They do have the plastic chairs with backs on them for people who need them for physical reasons, you just have to let the CO know.  I don't visit there anymore but most of the CO's were very decent during visits (and I visited there for 4 years).
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: