News: ILLINOIS PRISON LOCKDOWNS: MENARD ON LEVEL ONE, NO VISITS.

• May 06, 2016, 03:42:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to ILLINOIS PRISON TALK, www.illinoisprisontalk.org - A Family Support Forum and Information Center for those interacting with the Illinois Department of Corrections. IPT members are comprised of family/friends of inmates, prison reform activists, ex-offenders, prisoner rights advocates and others interested in the well-being of Illinois prisoners. We encourage open discussion but please be tolerant of other's opinions. This website is protected by Copyright © 2006-2016. All rights reserved. There are some private forums that require registration, please register.

Author Topic: SOUTHWESTERN Correctional Center  (Read 28498 times)

Offline Dazzler

• Editor-in-Chief
  • Administrator
  • Retired News Reporter ~ Prison Reform Advocate
    • Illinois Prison Talk
SOUTHWESTERN Correctional Center
« on: March 06, 2006, 08:48:31 AM »
Post information here please

Southwestern Illinois Correctional Center  
Shannis Stock, Warden

Facility Data
Southwestern Illinois Correctional Center
 Opened: August 1995
 *Operational Capacity: 708
 Minimum Security Adult Male
 *Southwestern Illinois Correctional Center Population: 609
 *Southwestern Illinois Work Camp Population: 91
 *Total Current Population: 700
 Average Age: 25
 FY2010 Average Annual Cost Per Inmate: $41,520.00

*As of 11/30/2011. Reflects bed space capacity analysis as outlined in the January 1, 2012 Quarterly Report to the Legislature.
 Southwestern Illinois Correctional Center is the parent institution for Southwestern Illinois Work Camp

Visiting Hours

IDOC Visitation Rules and Information

Visitors to any correctional facility will be required to produce photo identification and verification of
 date of birth. Please be sure to bring 2 forms of identification with you; these would include a current photo ID such as a driver’s license, a state ID card, government ID card, military ID/driver’s license, or acceptable documentation of non-U.S. citizenship including a current Passport, or Visa, documentation must contain the visitor’s date of birth. Expired forms of identification will not be accepted. Visitors will also be required to provide vehicle information and other pertinent data, such as government identification, official credentials, attorney registration, and or law student certification.

9:00 a.m. to 6:00p.m. on Saturdays, Sundays, and official State holidays only.
 No visits will be processed after 5:00 p.m.

Facility Address

Business Mail:
 950 Kingshighway Street
 East St. Louis, IL 62203

Inmate Mail:
 Inmate Name & IDOC#
 P.O. Box 129
 East St. Louis, IL 62203  

Phone: (618) 394-2200
 Fax: (618) 394-2228

Facility Information

The Mission of Southwestern Illinois Correctional Center (SWICC) is to protect the public from criminal offenders through a system of incarceration, while providing a safe and secure environment for offenders, as well as programs and services which are designed to assist them in successful re-entry into the free community. SWICC is a totally dedicated substance abuse treatment community. Each department participates in the offender recovery process by evaluating and assessing the performance of the offenders under its direction. All offenders housed at SWICC attend substance abuse treatment groups five days per week for a minimum of 15 hours per week.

SWICC has a 91-bed Work Camp on-site, which provides community service to government and non-profit groups within a 45-mile radius of the institution. The Work Camp offenders also actively participate in substance abuse treatment groups.  

SWICC consists of a total of 19 buildings, which comprise more than 195,214 square feet. The living units consist of four dorm-style housing units, the Work Camp, one 8-bed segregation unit and a 6-bed health care unit. The facility sits on a 24-acre site, with 22 acres being enclosed by fencing.

Inmate Programs

Academic:
 •ABE (Adult Basic Education)
•Pre-GED (Pre-General Education Development)
•GED (General Education Development)

Vocational:
 •Commercial Custodial
•Horticulture
•Vocational Business
•Construction
•Warehousing
•Remedial Skills
•Career Technology  

Volunteer Services:
•Alcoholics Anonymous
•Narcotics Anonymous
•Storybook Project
•Pell Grant Seminars
•Vocational Seminars
•Salvation Army  

Other:
 •Life Skills
•Substance Abuse
•Family Reunification Program
•Inside Out Dad
•Fatherhood Initiative
•Anger Management/Domestic Violence
•Parenting
•Interpersonal Relationships
•12-Step Group
•Incarcerated Veterans Transition Program
•Leisure Time Activity
•Chaplaincy
•Library
•Community Work Crews

http://www2.illinois.gov/idoc/facilities/Pages/southwesternillinoiscorrectionalcenter.aspx
~ "I have visited some of the best and the worst prisons and have never seen signs of coddling, but I have seen the terrible results of the boredom and frustration of empty hours and pointless existence." ~ US Supreme Court Justice Warren Burger

~ "An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind."
~ Mahatma Gandhi

Offline washwin5

Re: SOUTHWESTERN Correctional Center
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2014, 02:30:43 PM »
Hi everyone, I have a question regarding the transfer process. My husband said that Tasc came out and talked with over 100 inmates that names were given to them of possible eligibility for the program. When my husband spoke to them they (Tasc) first told him about the program; then asked if he was interested and if so there is an option of transferring to Sheridan or SWICC. He picked SWICC. I know that you have to be qualified to go, and I believe he is from what I have been hearing. It's been 120 days which is the time Tasc said it would take to hear from them. Now I know this flu virus have put a lot of the facilities behind on things, but I was wondering if anyone heard something similar to what I am talking about from their L/O? I am really praying that he gets accepted, because it seems to be really beneficial. Thanks!

Offline washwin5

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2014, 08:07:57 PM »
 :wc7: my husband leaves for a transfer to swicc on Wednesday.....I am so happy :wc59:

Offline washwin5

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2014, 08:20:17 PM »
Hi I just had a question about southwestern. My husband was recently approved to be transferred to SW, so I was just wondering if anyone have any updated info about SW?

Offline dobie1224

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2014, 05:27:35 PM »
Southwestern sounds like it may not be as bad as it could be for my LO..the worst thing about it for me will be the 3 hr drive to visit, at least Stateville was only 45 min away! I hope it is good for him there..it sounds ok to me - but he will be the one to really find out..

Offline washwin5

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2014, 08:23:30 PM »
Hello, does anyone have any updated info on Southwestern?

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2014, 07:42:48 AM »
Hello, does anyone have any updated info on Southwestern?

This is the information we have on Southwestern here on IPT.  The fist post in this topic is the new updated information from the IDOC website.

If there is something specific you are looking for, just ask and if a member with a LO there can answer, they will.  TY
Do not value the "things" you have in your life - value "who" you have in your life....

“Instead of thinking about what you're missing, try thinking about what you have that everyone else is missing.”

Offline momsusan

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2014, 05:41:09 PM »
My son was sent to southwestern this week, so when I get any info from him I will post it. :)

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2014, 05:42:22 PM »
My son was sent to southwestern this week, so when I get any info from him I will post it. :)

Thank You!!
Do not value the "things" you have in your life - value "who" you have in your life....

“Instead of thinking about what you're missing, try thinking about what you have that everyone else is missing.”

Offline washwin5

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2014, 02:14:43 PM »
Thanks for the responses so far. My husband arrived yesterday to SWICC, and I received a call from him today, so I kind of got a little info. He sounds really happy, so I am praying that his journey continues that way, because his goal is change. I as well will post any info that would be of use. Thanks again!

Offline momsusan

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2014, 06:08:27 PM »
Does anyone know if Southwestern has a/c for the inmates?

Offline dobie1224

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2014, 11:35:43 AM »
We haven't had phone calls yet at Southwestern - does anyone know if everyone is in dorms when in gen.pop.? Do they have tvs like in rec area? Or would my lo be allowed to have his own tv??

Offline momsusan

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2014, 06:52:29 PM »
They can have TV's

Offline dobie1224

« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2014, 08:32:32 PM »
Thank you

Offline momsusan

« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2014, 03:50:16 PM »
So I went for my first visit to southwestern and it is like getting into Ft Knox. LOL when you pull into the gate they make you get out of your vehicle and open all of the doors and your hood, they take your ID and then check your vehicle, you then park in the visitor parking ( and make sure you park where they tell you to or you have to move your vehicle) once you are inside and have filled out your forms (1st visit) they take and inventory of what you have on, jeans, shirt, shoes,socks and if you have any jewelry and hair ties in your hair. Then you get patted down and finally are let into the visitors room. Once you are in you are assigned to a table and you have to wait for your lo to come in. If your lo wants anything from the vending machines they are allowed to go up to them with you which I thought was nice, (when he was in Pittsfield they couldn't go up with you and you had to tell them what was in the machines.) but I do have to say that ALL the CO's have been super nice. If anyone has any question just ask and I will try to answer them :)

Offline mzgemini13

« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2015, 06:35:50 PM »
I have a l/o at southwestern and I just wanted to know how things were. I haven't seen anyone post in awhile. As far as prisons go how is it, how long before a visit or phone call? Any updates on visits, commissary and visiting room vending machines. Would love some updated information please.