Illinois Prison Talk
News:
Welcome to ILLINOIS PRISON TALK,  www.illinoisprisontalk.org -  A Family Support Forum and Information Center for those interacting with the Illinois Department of Corrections.  IPT members are comprised of family/friends of inmates, prison reform activists, ex-offenders, prisoner rights advocates and others interested in the well-being of Illinois prisoners. We encourage open discussion but please be tolerant of other's opinions.   This website is protected by Copyright © 2006-2014.  All rights reserved. There are some private forums that require registration, please register.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 21, 2014, 01:02:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 3 4 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: SOUTHWESTERN Correctional Center  (Read 19001 times)
Dazzler
Administrator

Retired News Reporter ~ Prison Reform Advocate

« on: March 06, 2006, 09:48:31 AM »

Post information here please

Southwestern Illinois Correctional Center  
Shannis Stock, Warden

Facility Data
 Opened: August 1995
 *Operational Capacity: 708
 Minimum Security Adult Male
 *Southwestern Illinois Correctional Center Population: 609
 *Southwestern Illinois Work Camp Population: 91
 *Total Current Population: 700
 Average Age: 25
 FY2010 Average Annual Cost Per Inmate: $41,520.00

*As of 11/30/2011. Reflects bed space capacity analysis as outlined in the January 1, 2012 Quarterly Report to the Legislature.
 Southwestern Illinois Correctional Center is the parent institution for Southwestern Illinois Work Camp

Visiting Hours

IDOC Visitation Rules and Information

Visitors to any correctional facility will be required to produce photo identification and verification of
 date of birth. Please be sure to bring 2 forms of identification with you; these would include a current photo ID such as a driver’s license, a state ID card, government ID card, military ID/driver’s license, or acceptable documentation of non-U.S. citizenship including a current Passport, or Visa, documentation must contain the visitor’s date of birth. Expired forms of identification will not be accepted. Visitors will also be required to provide vehicle information and other pertinent data, such as government identification, official credentials, attorney registration, and or law student certification.

9:00 a.m. to 6:00p.m. on Saturdays, Sundays, and official State holidays only.
 No visits will be processed after 5:00 p.m.

Facility Address

Business Mail:
 950 Kingshighway Street
 East St. Louis, IL 62203

Inmate Mail:
 Inmate Name & IDOC#
 P.O. Box 129
 East St. Louis, IL 62203  

Phone: (618) 394-2200
 Fax: (618) 394-2228

Facility Information

The Mission of Southwestern Illinois Correctional Center (SWICC) is to protect the public from criminal offenders through a system of incarceration, while providing a safe and secure environment for offenders, as well as programs and services which are designed to assist them in successful re-entry into the free community. SWICC is a totally dedicated substance abuse treatment community. Each department participates in the offender recovery process by evaluating and assessing the performance of the offenders under its direction. All offenders housed at SWICC attend substance abuse treatment groups five days per week for a minimum of 15 hours per week.

SWICC has a 91-bed Work Camp on-site, which provides community service to government and non-profit groups within a 45-mile radius of the institution. The Work Camp offenders also actively participate in substance abuse treatment groups.  

SWICC consists of a total of 19 buildings, which comprise more than 195,214 square feet. The living units consist of four dorm-style housing units, the Work Camp, one 8-bed segregation unit and a 6-bed health care unit. The facility sits on a 24-acre site, with 22 acres being enclosed by fencing.

Inmate Programs

Academic:
 •ABE (Adult Basic Education)
•Pre-GED (Pre-General Education Development)
•GED (General Education Development)

Vocational:
 •Commercial Custodial
•Horticulture
•Vocational Business
•Construction
•Warehousing
•Remedial Skills
•Career Technology  

Volunteer Services:
•Alcoholics Anonymous
•Narcotics Anonymous
•Storybook Project
•Pell Grant Seminars
•Vocational Seminars
•Salvation Army  

Other:
 •Life Skills
•Substance Abuse
•Family Reunification Program
•Inside Out Dad
•Fatherhood Initiative
•Anger Management/Domestic Violence
•Parenting
•Interpersonal Relationships
•12-Step Group
•Incarcerated Veterans Transition Program
•Leisure Time Activity
•Chaplaincy
•Library
•Community Work Crews

http://www2.illinois.gov/idoc/facilities/Pages/southwesternillinoiscorrectionalcenter.aspx

~ "I have visited some of the best and the worst prisons and have never seen signs of coddling, but I have seen the terrible results of the boredom and frustration of empty hours and pointless existence." ~ US Supreme Court Justice Warren Burger

~ "An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind."
~ Mahatma Gandhi
Peanuts
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2006, 10:25:39 AM »

Shannis Stock, Warden 

Facility Data
 Opened: August 1995
 *Operational Capacity: 708
 Minimum Security Adult Male
 *Southwestern Illinois Correctional Center Population: 609
 *Southwestern Illinois Work Camp Population: 91
 *Total Current Population: 700
 Average Age: 25
 FY2010 Average Annual Cost Per Inmate: $41,520.00

*As of 5/31/2012. Reflects bed space capacity analysis as outlined in the July 1, 2012 Quarterly Report to the Legislature.

Southwestern Illinois Correctional Center is the parent institution for Southwestern Illinois Work Camp.

Visiting Hours

IDOC Visitation Rules and Information

Visitors to any correctional facility will be required to produce photo identification and verification of
 date of birth. Please be sure to bring 2 forms of identification with you; these would include a current photo ID such as a driver’s license, a state ID card, government ID card, military ID/driver’s license, or acceptable documentation of non-U.S. citizenship including a current Passport, or Visa, documentation must contain the visitor’s date of birth. Expired forms of identification will not be accepted. Visitors will also be required to provide vehicle information and other pertinent data, such as government identification, official credentials, attorney registration, and or law student certification.

9:00 a.m. to 6:00p.m. on Saturdays, Sundays, and official State holidays only.

Facility Address

Business Mail:
 950 Kingshighway Street
 East St. Louis, IL 62203

Inmate Mail:
 Inmate Name & IDOC#
 P.O. Box 129
 East St. Louis, IL 62203 

Phone: (618) 394-2200
 Fax: (618) 394-2228

Facility Information

The Mission of Southwestern Illinois Correctional Center (SWICC) is to protect the public from criminal offenders through a system of incarceration, while providing a safe and secure environment for offenders, as well as programs and services which are designed to assist them in successful re-entry into the free community. SWICC is a totally dedicated substance abuse treatment community. Each department participates in the offender recovery process by evaluating and assessing the performance of the offenders under its direction. All offenders housed at SWICC attend substance abuse treatment groups five days per week for a minimum of 15 hours per week.

SWICC has a 91-bed Work Camp on-site, which provides community service to government and non-profit groups within a 45-mile radius of the institution. The Work Camp offenders also actively participate in substance abuse treatment groups. 

SWICC consists of a total of 19 buildings, which comprise more than 195,214 square feet. The living units consist of four dorm-style housing units, the Work Camp, one 8-bed segregation unit and a 6-bed health care unit. The facility sits on a 24-acre site, with 22 acres being enclosed by fencing.

Click here for information about Southwestern Illinois Correctional Center's Sustainability Efforts.

Inmate Programs

Academic:
 •ABE (Adult Basic Education)
•Pre-GED (Pre-General Education Development)
•GED (General Education Development)

Vocational:
 •Commercial Custodial
•Horticulture
•Vocational Business
•Construction
•Warehousing
•Remedial Skills
•Career Technology 

Volunteer Services:
•Alcoholics Anonymous
•Narcotics Anonymous
•Storybook Project
•Pell Grant Seminars
•Vocational Seminars
•Salvation Army   

Other:
 •Life Skills
•Substance Abuse
•Family Reunification Program
•Inside Out Dad
•Fatherhood Initiative
•Anger Management/Domestic Violence
•Parenting
•Interpersonal Relationships
•12-Step Group
•Incarcerated Veterans Transition Program
•Leisure Time Activity
•Chaplaincy
•Library
•Community Work Crews

http://www2.illinois.gov/idoc/facilities/Pages/southwesternillinoiscorrectionalcenter.aspx
HisOnlyPookie

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2006, 09:05:51 PM »

Hi,

I just have a few questions about Southwestern. My boyfriend was told by other inmates that if he gets transferred to Southwestern (he is trying to because it is closer) that after you are paroled from there, that there is a 90 day outpatient program or something like that and you still have to stay there. Does anyone know if that is true or not? He asked his counselor but he didn't know. I think, no I guess I should say I know that other inmates lie to each other often to keep them down.

If you like to play games to win money this is the site for you.  http://www.netwinner.com/signupCode/krispen7   It does take a while to win but it's so easy!
babygurl23

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2007, 10:39:18 PM »

my boyfriend is thinking about trying to get sent to a new prison and one they kind of mentioned was Southwestern so I was wondering if anyone can give me any information on how things are there..
thanks for any information..

Brandy

scudder5

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2009, 11:43:47 PM »

Not sure if anyone can still answer questions on here, I looked at the individual prison profiles page which actually helped, but had some more questions, my husband is at Southwestern now, does anyone have any idea how long until I get a phone call he was in receiving for forty seven days, and I am dying to hear from him it has been two months of nothing but a post card and it is really driving me nuts, just want a general time frame of how long after they get transferred for Southwestern for a phonecall, also any info on Southwestern as far as prisoners how they like it, what happens would be nice too, I know they have to go to classes mon thru fri, but don't understand if they still get the extra time off for it or not, yes my husband is eligible for good time, ( non-violent )okay I think I asked enough questions LOL wc14

I wish that I could stop time, I wish that I could rewind, to the very beginning of every second of our life, I ask god on my hands and knees to never let me forget all the special memories of our life, so one more time let me open my eyes and see what my life used to be like.
scudder5

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2009, 11:59:40 PM »

Just to let you all know this post is pretty outdated, My husband is at Southwestern now and the visiting hours are only nine am to six pm and they are only on SAT/SUN or holidays.no visits mon thru fri because all of the prisoners are in classes during these times, i didn't read all of it, but i saw the old visiting hours on there
--Here is updated info from idoc site

IDOC Visitation Rules and Information -- please review before visiting

On the first visit to any correctional facility, the visitors will be required to have a photo identification, such as a driver's license, a state identification card, or acceptable documentation of non-US citizen including a current passport, visa, or Matricula, and documentation that includes their date of birth.

Please have two forms of identification; one should be a photo ID for additional visits.

9:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m.
No visitors allowed after 5:00 p.m.

Effective July 1, 2006:
Visiting Room hours will be 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. on Saturdays/Sundays and official State holidays only.

I wish that I could stop time, I wish that I could rewind, to the very beginning of every second of our life, I ask god on my hands and knees to never let me forget all the special memories of our life, so one more time let me open my eyes and see what my life used to be like.
Forevermah
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2009, 06:47:34 AM »

Thanks scudder for the update. If  you have any other information that you would like to post about visiting there, please do. As you can see we don't have many loved ones that have posted about visiting SW.   I've replaced the information above with your new information.

Thanks again,
Mah

Do not value the "things" you have in your life - value "who" you have in your life....

“Instead of thinking about what you're missing, try thinking about what you have that everyone else is missing.”
RT

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2009, 07:40:55 AM »

He will get good time for being there. It could take a few weeks to get a phone list apporved but it very well could be sooner. I hear that guys like it at SCC and that is why they opt to stay in the program.

RT

"Imprisonment has become the response of first resort to far too many of our social problems."
-- Angela Davis
mz.thickie32

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2009, 09:40:01 AM »

my husband is at southwestern and u should have recieved a phone call by now after 2 months, yes they attend alot of classes well I know mines does, and If I'm not mistaking every 90days they do good or tend the classes they get 45days tooken off, but the facility is real nice far as visit the co's r nice, they get move around with u far as getting food, take pics, hug, kisses,hold hands, and they get hold their kids if they have any but they cannot get a visit for the first 30 days, and then they earn extra days for visits after the phases they complete and visit is only on weekends and holidays. Anything else u want to know u can ask! And  wc12 wc12
scudder5

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2009, 09:47:37 PM »

Thank you so much, I just got a letter and he said his pin for his phone is messed up so he hasn't been able to call out yet.  He said it is almost like going off to college, he is in a room with 22 other guys and he goes to the gym 3x a day and he is going to be going to classes for driving a forklift , but he sounded ok, I was so happy to get that letter!!! wc7

mz.thickie32

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2009, 09:45:29 AM »

wc6 I'm happy for u! hopefully he gets to call soon. like I said it's real nice at southwest!
Still love my son

David Cook Rocked in St Louis 7/18/08!!!

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2009, 11:34:44 AM »

wc7

Great you got the letter, sounds like he is settling in well, and he is at a place where the time will go by fast, since he is going to be so busy.
You will get a visit before you know it, AND a phone call SOON!!!!!
Hang in there!!!!

wc7
feuxdejoie

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2010, 08:48:10 PM »

I just got word today that my husband was transferred to Southwestern.  I wanted to thank everyone who has posted on this site, it has been a huge help to me in understanding what to expect.  I am wondering if there is any new information about the facility that anyone could share.  Thank you.  BTW our 23 year wedding anniversary is February 28th. wc48
scudder5

« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2010, 10:25:45 PM »

My husband has been at SouthWestern for a year let me know if u have any questions I will try to help

feuxdejoie

« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2010, 10:38:28 PM »

Thank you for posting.  It is really  hard to find anything about Southwestern.  If you could share your experiences with visits, programs they offer and anything else that you can think of I would really appreciate it.
scudder5

« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2010, 10:40:00 PM »

Some basic info on southwestern, visits are only on Sat and Sun from nine until six, and holidays. They search your vehicle when you get there, and do a quick check/pat down before they let you go back. Make sure to leave meds and cellphones and purses in your car they do not allow you to leave these items in your locker. the visiting room is set up like a small gradeschool cafeteria with four seats to a table. You have to sit across from your inmate if you are a female and not his mom.  They have two restrooms for visitors and one for inmates.  The visiting room holds about eighty people at a time on a busy day, so the restrooms are pretty busy.  They have vending machines that have soda/water/and some juice.  Also have a coffee machine and some food and snacks. You are allowed to bring in thirty dollars in cash, this facility no longer uses the debit card system.\Do not wear anything you are unsure of to visits, I had a hole in my pocket that you couldn't even see through and they wouldn't let me in one day.  Basically set up on this facility is like a huge dorm, with all the guys sleeping on diffeent  units but not in seperate cells, my husband has about forty other guys on his unit.  They offer classes here from Lakeland community college, from forklift to construction to horticulture, the guys in horticulture get extra outside time if your LO likes that he mite wanna sign up, they also have a workcamp as well-not sure on the info with that, They do drug treatment here, and they have to go to group for this twice a day, This facility was actually an old school house and it is shaped kinda like a horseshoe.  UMMM.....nnot sure what else you would want to know, let me know if any other questions

jenplus2

Appreciate & love now, tomorrow's not guaranteed

« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2010, 01:01:33 PM »

I have a question regarding Southwestern... I just received a letter from D. In it he says, "good news, I'm going to Southwestern IL DOC in about 4 weeks from today (7/8/2010). It will damn near cut my remaining time in half. I will attend school while I am there." It goes on to say more, but my question is... does he know what he's talking about? I haven't looked into Southwestern before so I don't know exactly what to expect??? I do know that it's 10 minutes away from me versus Vienna which is close to 3 hours from me. I am reading over the posts on Southwestern now, but any new information would be great and anything pertaining to what he said (about the time, etc.) would be nice. Thank you in advance.

~The "Not Knowing" and/or "Uncertainty" is the hardest part of any situation~
~I still have dreams, many in fact. However, as time marches on they become more focused and realistic~
jenplus2

« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2010, 11:22:48 AM »

Is there anyone that knows anything about Southwestern, as far as the questions I asked above?

~I still have dreams, many in fact. However, as time marches on they become more focused and realistic~
Forevermah
Administrator

« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2010, 02:50:29 PM »

I really have no clue what he means about his time, as I have never heard of anyone, just going to one of these prisons where they offer these special substance abuse programs, getting anymore time off!  You are going to have to ask him in a letter, what he is talking about!  With the MGT up in the air now, he would not even get that at this time!

I do know these programs have some very special rulings for them and their loved ones, when it comes to visiting, etc.

Do not value the "things" you have in your life - value "who" you have in your life....

“Instead of thinking about what you're missing, try thinking about what you have that everyone else is missing.”
jenplus2

« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2010, 06:32:46 PM »

Thank you Mah, I still have NO idea what he was referring too. A friend of the family said something along the lines of "they lessen their time with these drug programs and schooling" but I again, really don't know what they could be talking about. I have searched everywhere for information and can't find anything. I think they are just having some "wishful thinking" going on. If I find out anymore, I will be sure to post and let everyone know. Do you know if anyone on IPT still has a LO there that I may be able to talk to? Again, thank you for replying.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: