Illinois Prison Talk
News:
Welcome to ILLINOIS PRISON TALK,  www.illinoisprisontalk.org -  A Family Support Forum and Information Center for those interacting with the Illinois Department of Corrections.  IPT members are comprised of family/friends of inmates, prison reform activists, ex-offenders, prisoner rights advocates and others interested in the well-being of Illinois prisoners. We encourage open discussion but please be tolerant of other's opinions.   This website is protected by Copyright © 2006-2014.  All rights reserved. There are some private forums that require registration, please register.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. December 21, 2014, 06:03:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: National Companies That Hire Ex-Felons  (Read 33153 times)
HisGirl

Author/Freelance Writer

« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2010, 09:07:08 PM »

Yes, this is a very big problem, especially with so many out of work. It is hard and discouraging for those who do really want to change their lives, and work an honest job. Bottom line is that it takes a made up mind. I mean, a mind made up to do whatever it takes to rise above one's situation.

I will be checking out CR England to see what that is all about. I think for those with a background, a CDL is a good thing to have.

Live Simply, Love Generously, Care Deeply, Speak Kindly, and Leave the Rest to God.
wile

« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2011, 10:43:17 PM »

I was wondering what companies should I put down that I have a felony and which one I shouldn't.

Be excepting the unexpected when you least except it
bmonska

« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2011, 11:00:15 PM »

I was wondering what companies should I put down that I have a felony and which one I shouldn't.

If you're filling out an application that asks if you've ever been convicted of a felony, you have to say yes if you have. Some applications ask if you've ever been convicted of a crime in general regardless if it's a misdemeanor or a felony. If they ask, you need to disclose it. You don't want to lie on an application because they may have grounds to fire you if they found out you said no when you really were.
wile

« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2011, 02:06:28 PM »

I have many times in the last year put down my felony and time after time I get rejected.    I have a class 4 felony for coke resin in a straw. Also I have class A misdemeanor for domestic/ with bodily harm. Its has been over a year for these charges. I also feel being a female their not a lot of job choices out there for me that will go around my 6 years daughter schedule.  It is even hard to find a babysitter that will watch your child before and after school and that will even take them to school if that.    It sucks out there the world is a cruel..   People need to step back and realize people do make mistakes and shouldn't be commode for them.  Also they need to look at the whole picture before judging someone.   

bmonska

« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2011, 02:16:17 PM »

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. You just have to be patient, which is hard, and just keep filling out those applications. For 100 no's that you get, there's got to be at least one who says yes. Hang in there and good luck!
wile

« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2011, 09:05:27 AM »

Thank you so much for the encouragement.

LadyjH

« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2011, 09:26:06 PM »

Wile just an idea  You mention before and after school care.. have you looked into your park district or the school?  Some schools offer programs right at the school.  I found care through the park district and it didn't cost me an arm and a leg. 
wile

« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2011, 06:26:54 PM »

Hello LadyjH,          There is a daycare at the school and other facilities. The only thing is that there is a waiting list.  But I haven't check the park district.  I might go ahead and give them a call.   Also, remember I live in Sterling not that big a city. LOL   Thank You for your input. 

veracity

« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2011, 06:43:51 PM »

Hey Wile, Have you looked into part time merchandising work? There are a few companies that won't hire but still many that do. It's flexible to work around your daughters schedule. You can pick up work with multiple companies and especially in your area. They are always looking for bodies to reset the shelves at Walmart or straighten up the rugs & picture frames at Kohl's. Check out narms.com to learn all about what a merchandiser does. Don't pay a fee to get certified. No one cares about that. Just explore all the companies and tutorials. Another idea is to waitress at lunch. Again works within your daughter's school hours. Many small companies will give another chance at probably less pay but you got to start somewhere. Don't waste your time applying at a company with publicly traded stock. They have too much $$$ responsibility to shareholders to ever give a chance. I'm sorry society is so unforgiving now. Used to be you'd "pay your debt" and move on (grow up). I would venture to say everyone knows somebody that's had some trouble with the law so sooner or later people got to wake up and start forgiving again. Just don't ever get discouraged & give up. Good things will happen for you and your daughter.
wile

« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2011, 09:22:15 PM »

Thank you for your information. 
I hope you have a Happy Easter!!!!

wile

« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2011, 01:06:09 PM »

easter1 Well I had a interview at Arby's in Rock Falls and the manger was ready to hire me but the Area Manger denied me because of my felony. Isn't that consider discrimination.

Marks_guy
Support Staff

« Reply #31 on: April 19, 2011, 03:33:47 PM »

Unfortunately, that isn't considered discrimination. Like I said in a different post, national companies are usually the hardest to get into. Your case proves that point. The store manager is willing to take a chance, but the company policies override that. I hope you find something that works for you!
Puzzled

« Reply #32 on: April 19, 2011, 10:45:14 PM »

Unfortunately like all things government related there are hic-ups.  The way they rate who employed and unemployed is based on those receiving unemployment benefits.  Meaning those who's benefits ended regardless if they have jobs or not are how the government determines their employment/unemployed ratings.  The figures are skewered majorily in what is the truth.  Hence McDonalds offering 8.00 an hour jobs had lines down the block and unfortunately makes it next to impossible with hundreds of applicants for anyone with records to compete against.  This is a sad truth but it is a truth.  I would recommend going through the employment rentry programs with companies geared to hiring people with records right now.  Good luck to you !!! wc69

“Worry does not empty tomorrow of its sorrow; it empties today of its strength.”
TMTillman

« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2013, 07:37:08 PM »

Hi LadyJH,

I've been on MSR since Aug 2011. I'm 6 months away from successfully completing Parole yet I have not been able to gain employment. I have 2 felony convictions 1 from 2008 and the most recent in 2010. They both deal with Theft. A friend of mine offered me a Caregiver positon in Sept 2011 hoping it would help show that I had been rehabilitated. That position ended Oct 2012 when his grandmother passed. Even though I've filled out thousand (it seems like) of applications noone is willing to give me a chance. I can literally count on one hand how many interviews I've been on in the last year smh. What am i doin wrong
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: