Illinois Prison Talk
News: wc75-1  ILLINOIS PRISON LOCKDOWN STATUS:

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. October 30, 2014, 08:43:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: National Companies That Hire Ex-Felons  (Read 32129 times)
Dazzler
Administrator

Retired News Reporter ~ Prison Reform Advocate

« on: April 10, 2006, 05:09:54 PM »

I know of four large national companies that hire ex-felons:

Walmart

Target

Darden Restaurants:  Olive Garden,  Red Lobster

Please add to this list if you know that a particular company will hire former inmates.

~ "I have visited some of the best and the worst prisons and have never seen signs of coddling, but I have seen the terrible results of the boredom and frustration of empty hours and pointless existence." ~ US Supreme Court Justice Warren Burger

~ "An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind."
~ Mahatma Gandhi
Forevermah
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2006, 05:15:31 PM »

Here is a local one that hires ex-felons, we can add to this list also:

Harris Ice Company 
http://www.chiventures.org/document.php?Id=91

Do not value the "things" you have in your life - value "who" you have in your life....

“Instead of thinking about what you're missing, try thinking about what you have that everyone else is missing.”
appleofmyeye

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2006, 02:56:09 PM »

Joliet Nissan
Joliet, IL
Chickie

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2006, 06:05:11 PM »

Waste management has a contract with the DOC.  WR men work there and they keep them sometimes.  Some get hired there after WR.

sunshine

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2006, 12:25:44 PM »

Do these companies still hire?  My Fiance just came home monday and he is looking for a job.  Please help.
dancer
Account Retired

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2007, 03:36:28 PM »

Swift Trucking  and  Caterpillar in Peoria IL.
oneyear2go

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2008, 01:04:06 AM »

I think that this list needs a serious up date. I am going to try and make some calls to see if I can find companies that will hire ex felons and if anyone else has any to add please. I am doing this because my man is coming home in 10 months..

Chell771

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2009, 02:29:50 PM »

Does their crime make a difference as to if they hire?  For example, theft, I wouldn't think that they wouldn't want them at Walmart?  Just curious.

Thanks!

lvanrs2
Support Staff

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2009, 05:03:21 PM »

Sears hires as long as the felony wasn't violent or retail theft

There is no action better at creating insanity in a person than trying to control something you have no control over.

Only do whatever you are willing to pay the consequences for.
Chell771

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2009, 08:16:18 PM »

That makes sense.  I do have a question though, where does it say whether it was retail or not?  Meaning, if you don't tell them, they won't know, right?  It just says theft of <$300 or whatever. wc13

lvanrs2
Support Staff

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2009, 08:52:22 AM »

some charges actually say retail theft under or over a certain amount, some just say theft.

There is no action better at creating insanity in a person than trying to control something you have no control over.

Only do whatever you are willing to pay the consequences for.
LadyjH

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2009, 11:43:59 AM »

Does anyone have an updated list?
Forevermah
Administrator

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2009, 12:02:24 PM »

Please check this entire board, there is alot of information here on parole and re-entry.  

http://www.illinoisprisontalk.org/index.php/board,54.0.html

Do not value the "things" you have in your life - value "who" you have in your life....

“Instead of thinking about what you're missing, try thinking about what you have that everyone else is missing.”
Jane

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2009, 08:00:39 PM »

Budget Rent-a- Car reservationists will take the Tax break.
Also most Call Center's will as well
Jane

« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2009, 11:13:48 PM »

Does their crime make a difference as to if they hire?  For example, theft, I wouldn't think that they wouldn't want them at Walmart?  Just curious.

Thanks!

It DOES matter what kind of crime you committed to the parole officer. I had alot of fraudulent theft on my record and got a job as a bill collector. My PAROLE OFFICER called them and asked them if they were aware of my background. She said it was her job to protect the public! They had to let me go. She basically told me what kind of fields I could get into. I started school at almost 40 years old and I am an interior designer now. I think if you have any theft on your record you want to stay away from any jobs where there is money. That is for his own good as well. I have been in situations where something came up missing and all fingers were on me because of my record. He should get in to some kind of technical field or trade school,, Welding.. mechanics, ect.....  He just needs to be persistent and set some goals. I had to take a very low paying job and go to school at night. We didn't get in that rut over night and you don't get out over night!!
missbaldwin

you have to love her or hem lol

« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2009, 11:50:19 PM »

This is something that may help someone looking for work

Service ProvidersRegister Your Organization Today!
Hard2Hire.com is actively seeking affiliate service providers whose mission dovetails with our own – helping people too long classified as hard to hire to find and win career track opportunities.
If your organization currently services a hard to hire population, like ex-offenders, older workers, disabled workers, veterans, the homeless, or those who have been laid off, we offer free utilization of our Connection Point direct access communication service.

cgs51

« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2010, 07:57:41 PM »

Thank you for listing this resource.  My son is STILL looking for a job since he got out of boot camp July, 2009.  He did work harvest driving a truck for my husband and his brother last year and is doing that again this year while still job hunting.  He got told by a company manager that he had a job and then found out today that he didn't because, as the manager put it "I couldn't get your record past corporate."  He was devastated!!  It was a national company and the first REAL job offer he has had.  He's even gone to temp agencies in case a job comes in that doesn't require a background check or doesn't care--NOTHING.
Is anyone out there having any better luck--or ANY luck at all with a felony and still on parole.  I know how tough the job market is and especially if you have a record.  He is a great cook, has worked putting fiber optic lines in the ground, has done some construction, and has a good driving record but no CDL yet.
I would really appreciate any info anyone has that might help(and I will be searching the sight too).  He does have a print out from CR England trucking to maybe train as a truck driver so after harvest we'll have to see if his record matters to them.
HisGirl

Author/Freelance Writer

« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2010, 08:46:22 PM »

cgs51:

Does CR England pay employees while they train to get their CDL?

This is a problem with many ex offenders. When it comes to getting a job, it is harder now since many who don't have backgrounds are looking for work. :-(

Live Simply, Love Generously, Care Deeply, Speak Kindly, and Leave the Rest to God.
cgs51

« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2010, 09:53:16 AM »

The ad does not say they pay you to train bit only says "hands on experience, no money down, no credit requirements, no co-signor needed to join our training school and you are GUARANTEED A JOB upon SUCCESSFUL completion of our training program".  So I assume the school charges to train you just like a community college or other truck driving school does but they don't require up front money down.  I supposed that is why they guarantee you a job upon successful completion and then take a certain amount from your pay to repay for the schooling.  But the company does offer vacation pay and helath and life insurance and a company participation 401K once you are hired.
If he chooses to try this I will let you know more as I know.  It may be a gimmick but guess you have to ask to know.
allgone

« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2010, 09:01:16 AM »

We are in the same boat.  He has been unable to find a job although he has only been home since the beginning of August.  But he doesn't have a license and will never get one again so it makes it even harder.  But if he gets lucky anywhere, I'll be sure to post and let everyone know.
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: