• December 10, 2018, 06:56:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to ILLINOIS PRISON TALK, www.illinoisprisontalk.org - A Family Support Forum and Information Center for those interacting with the Illinois Department of Corrections. IPT members are comprised of family/friends of inmates, prison reform activists, ex-offenders, prisoner rights advocates and others interested in the well-being of Illinois prisoners. We encourage open discussion but please be tolerant of other's opinions. This website is protected by Copyright © 2006-2018. All rights reserved. There are some private forums that require registration, please register.

Author Topic: Jewelry Allowed in IDOC?  (Read 52538 times)

Offline cem31

Re: Jewelry Allowed in IDOC?
« Reply #80 on: November 14, 2012, 06:32:28 AM »
Hello all!! Can anyone tell me, for a cross & chain, does it have to be less than $50 each or less than $50 combined?

Offline chantygirl

« Reply #81 on: November 14, 2012, 06:47:16 AM »
The total value can't be more than $50, and it has to be proven with receipts.

Offline Kinnysbaby

• value what you have and keep it close to your heart
  • I was this way before the drugs
« Reply #82 on: November 15, 2013, 06:24:04 PM »
What you can do is when you buy the chain and cross, you can ask if they give you a receipts especially if it is from a pawn shop and you tell them where you are sending it. Some pawn shops will help you out.

Cherokee
when a man gives way to anger, he harms himself
Mahatma Gandhi

Offline awaitingagt13

« Reply #83 on: November 30, 2013, 08:15:14 AM »
Does anyone know if my l/o's wedding band can be two toned? Also can the band I wear have stones? I spoke the the chaplin about 2 months ago and he did state that my l/o's band had to be $50, no stones and can be brought in that day not mailed as I had heard. However I forgot to ask if my ring had to meet the same criteria. Looking for current information as some of the procedures have changed. Thanks

Offline BrandiWatson

• You never know what you have til its gone
  • Missing my man
« Reply #84 on: November 30, 2013, 10:32:36 AM »
Your ring shouldnt have to meet the same criteria. and I keep seing these posts that it has to be plain for them? my hubby has a two toned (white gold and yellow gold) and the lords prayer printed on it. you most definitely will need the marriage certificate

It's always darker just before the dawn.

Offline awaitingagt13

« Reply #85 on: November 30, 2013, 11:14:34 AM »
Okay thank you very much :wc7:

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #86 on: November 30, 2013, 11:51:38 AM »
Your ring shouldnt have to meet the same criteria. and I keep seing these posts that it has to be plain for them? my hubby has a two toned (white gold and yellow gold) and the lords prayer printed on it. you most definitely will need the marriage certificate

By plain they mean no stones/diamonds .. the two tone one is fine.

Do not value the "things" you have in your life - value "who" you have in your life....

“Instead of thinking about what you're missing, try thinking about what you have that everyone else is missing.”

Offline prodigaldad

« Reply #87 on: December 03, 2013, 11:06:01 PM »
I guess I missed this whole topic of wedding bands, or maybe I'm just misunderstanding.

Can I just wear my band when I go in? It is very plain.  It seemed some folks were talking about buying new bands to meet the requirements and have a receipt.

Thanks.

Offline me

• Support Staff
« Reply #88 on: December 04, 2013, 10:08:54 AM »
Prodicaldad - I don't think you can wear your wedding band initially (take it with you)- at least you didn't used to be able to.  You can give it to your spouse to send in later with a copy of your marriage certificate.

Offline jcruz1104

• Always & Forever "Just Us"
« Reply #89 on: December 04, 2013, 10:40:26 AM »
I guess I missed this whole topic of wedding bands, or maybe I'm just misunderstanding.

Can I just wear my band when I go in? It is very plain.  It seemed some folks were talking about buying new bands to meet the requirements and have a receipt.

Thanks.
Prodicaldad - I don't think you can wear your wedding band initially (take it with you)- at least you didn't used to be able to.  You can give it to your spouse to send in later with a copy of your marriage certificate.

Make sure it is a plain band, not type of design or gems, diamonds nothing. If there is, then its best to get a new one, Even if its a walmart $30 one. thats what we had to do, make a copy of the receipt, and copy of the marrage certificate. Just to be safe, once you get to your parent facility your spouse can call. One time it had to be sent to the chaplain,  at another facility it is sent with regular mail.  This was two different bits so its not needed to be sent every time you are transfered.
& he said to me "the level you think i love you is way more then you can imagine, we all we got"

Offline prodigaldad

« Reply #90 on: December 04, 2013, 12:40:33 PM »
Ok, so I will leave it with family for it to be mailed later with a copy of the marriage license.  What do I do about proving the value?  I certainly don't have a receipt for it - its been 23 years this month!

Will I need to have it appraised?  I just don't want to make this difficult for my family to do.

Thanks again.

Offline jcruz1104

• Always & Forever "Just Us"
« Reply #91 on: December 04, 2013, 02:24:06 PM »
Ok, so I will leave it with family for it to be mailed later with a copy of the marriage license.  What do I do about proving the value?  I certainly don't have a receipt for it - its been 23 years this month!

Will I need to have it appraised?  I just don't want to make this difficult for my family to do.

Thanks again.

Best bet is once you get to your parent facility have your spouse call the mail room.
& he said to me "the level you think i love you is way more then you can imagine, we all we got"

Offline chantygirl

« Reply #92 on: December 04, 2013, 07:19:45 PM »

Thanks again.

I don't know what the prison will tell you, but, if they say it has to be appraised (and you're pretty sure it'll be over $50) the best thing may be to have your family buy a temporary ring, so you'll have one while on the inside. 

Offline doublet

« Reply #93 on: June 21, 2015, 12:03:54 PM »
Can i send a cross necklace from amazon.com directly to the prison?

Offline StayinTrue2Him

« Reply #94 on: June 21, 2015, 12:26:36 PM »
Not sure about through Amazon because the receipt has to be included. Also it has to be under $50 and the chain can't be more than 18 inches in length,only a cross or religious medallion that is according to your L/O's faith that he has listed in his file.I would also take a picture of the necklace and the receipt before you send it as things have a way of coming up missing sometimes...

P.S...You should call your L/O's facility and ask them if you can go through Amazon to be safe.Good luck!
"You are the missing piece I've been waiting all my life for.."

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #95 on: June 22, 2015, 06:45:18 AM »

Please call the facility your LO is at and ask any specific questions you have about this.

Normally chains cannot be any longer than 22" in length, you have to send in the receipt and they cannot be over $50. 

Make copies of everything before you send it in, I don't think it coming straight from Amazon is going to work, but call and ask.  Make sure you put his full ID information on the box when sending it, it will go through property and they will give it to him directly.
Do not value the "things" you have in your life - value "who" you have in your life....

“Instead of thinking about what you're missing, try thinking about what you have that everyone else is missing.”

Offline tkesde1

« Reply #96 on: June 22, 2015, 09:34:48 AM »
I did this for my husband, before I ordered the necklace (from Amazon), I called the facility and spoke to the Chaplain. His Chaplain recommended the longer length for the chain so it would be under his t-shirt. Also there is a restriction on the size of the cross and the material the cross can be made out of (at least at my husband's facility). What was going to be my first choice ended up not being acceptable. I did find one that met the criteria he advised and had it shipped directly to the prison, Amazon does include a receipt in the box if you do not mark the box that says this item is a gift.  Also, the order is saved in your Amazon.com order history, so you have a photo and price as well as where it was sent all included on one page.  I hope this helps. 
He's home!

Offline jon166

« Reply #97 on: June 22, 2015, 10:35:24 AM »
I sent my GF a cross necklace i ordered through amazon directly to the prison.  She is at Logan.  She got it ok, and wears it everyday.   They did not let her have the box it came in.   I assume the receipt paper was included in the box.   I hope that helps.