• October 20, 2018, 06:30:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to ILLINOIS PRISON TALK, www.illinoisprisontalk.org - A Family Support Forum and Information Center for those interacting with the Illinois Department of Corrections. IPT members are comprised of family/friends of inmates, prison reform activists, ex-offenders, prisoner rights advocates and others interested in the well-being of Illinois prisoners. We encourage open discussion but please be tolerant of other's opinions. This website is protected by Copyright © 2006-2018. All rights reserved. There are some private forums that require registration, please register.

Author Topic: Jewelry Allowed in IDOC?  (Read 51409 times)

Offline Ira

Re: Jewelry Allowed in IDOC?
« Reply #60 on: September 06, 2011, 01:41:00 PM »
I don't know how my husband put it on his file, I'm sure he doesn't even know hot it is spelled correctly, so he probably just said Christian, if they asked... I will try to send him an icon and see what happens.

Offline jenplus2

• Appreciate & love now, tomorrow's not guaranteed
« Reply #61 on: September 08, 2011, 07:22:42 AM »
This is just my own curiosity, but why would you go to the trouble (and expense) to send him a Rosary if it's not his religion & he's not religious?
~The "Not Knowing" and/or "Uncertainty" is the hardest part of any situation~
~I still have dreams, many in fact. However, as time marches on they become more focused and realistic~

Offline mellaout

« Reply #62 on: September 08, 2011, 10:32:07 AM »
Well let me 1st say that i really did not think it would be all this difficult. He wore a rosary when he was out, we are both latinos &  even though he is a christian,  we were raised catholic.  I also figured it would not hurt to pray the rosary as it is used as a form of meditation.  I did look it up and all faiths can use the rosary to pray for meditation.  I just wanted him to keep the faith and it would be something a little different in his daily routine. The prayers i found were Ecumenical rosary prayers that substitute some of the catholic prayers with passeges from the bible. I saw no controversy with this as i believe we all need faith &  prayer, and why not send my love the rosary to help him through this hard time as I'm sure he needs it more now.

Mello

Offline mellaout

« Reply #63 on: September 08, 2011, 10:40:36 AM »
Oh i did forget to mention he is religious, he reads the bible, and knows more about it than i do and i go to church all the time. We just normally got to different churches.

Mello

Offline Ira

« Reply #64 on: September 08, 2011, 03:51:48 PM »
Catholics are Christians too, aren't they? They do believe in Christ, therefore they are Christians.
Just a little off-topic.

Offline Marks_guy

• Support Staff
« Reply #65 on: September 09, 2011, 09:02:11 AM »
Catholics are Christians too, aren't they? They do believe in Christ, therefore they are Christians.
Just a little off-topic.

You'd think it would be that easy, but, then again, we are talking about the IDOC.  :wc15:

I think it is wonderful that mellaout took the time to find prayers that could be done with a rosary. Every little bit helps our loved ones. The problem, like I said before, is that the rosary is most often associated with Catholocism, and, evidentally, that is not what he listed on his file.

I have a beautiful pendant that a Buddhist friend gave me. It symoblizes peace and serenity (and we all know inmates could use more of that). I'd love to send it to M, but he is listed as Christian, and it would most likely be rejected.

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #66 on: September 09, 2011, 09:12:49 AM »
My son is not Catholic, nor did he put that on his profile when he first went into IDOC and I sent him a rosary, because he asked for one and also a friend that did not know he had one sent him one, so he had two.   

Ira, you are correct, Catholics are Christians too, so are many other religions.  This is from wikpedia on Christian denominations:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Christian_denominations

Again there is nothing consistent with IDOC, this may all depend on the prison he is in, but I am hoping Mellaout, your LO will get the rosary with no problems.

Do not value the "things" you have in your life - value "who" you have in your life....

“Instead of thinking about what you're missing, try thinking about what you have that everyone else is missing.”

Offline jenplus2

• Appreciate & love now, tomorrow's not guaranteed
« Reply #67 on: September 09, 2011, 09:42:26 AM »
Mell, I apologize. I misread this post. I "originally" thought it was more for your benefit & he wasn't religous. Again, I'm sorry. Anytime we can bring faith into our LOs lives, it's a wonderful thing. God bless. :~)
~The "Not Knowing" and/or "Uncertainty" is the hardest part of any situation~
~I still have dreams, many in fact. However, as time marches on they become more focused and realistic~

Offline Ira

« Reply #68 on: September 09, 2011, 01:07:12 PM »
My post was addressed to mellaout, who was opposing Catholics and Christians, which makes no sense.
Me and my husband belong to Russian Orthodox church, which is one of two main Christian branches (which are Catholicism and Orthodoxy).

Offline mellaout

« Reply #69 on: September 09, 2011, 09:09:46 PM »
Sorry for the confusion, i was not opposing catholics & christians, i know that it basically is all christian faith with some differences. I just did not think the rosary would be such a huge thing to get approved nor did i know that inmates religious beliefs were noted in their files. I just wanted to give him something else to pray with as i know their lives tend to have the same routines. If you gotta pace why not pace &  pray right. Lol

Mello

Offline mellaout

« Reply #70 on: September 10, 2011, 02:14:13 PM »
UPDATE! so i just got a letter from my love dated the 8th and whoohoo!! He got the rosary with the prayers. He was happy to get them. I'm happy too, it took almost a month but they finally approved it at statesville, i guess it was all worth it. I believe that praying helped push it through too. Just goes to show you if you believe good things can happen.

Mello

Offline TimeStandsStill

• Mod Squad
« Reply #71 on: September 10, 2011, 07:01:05 PM »
That's great!  Glad he received everything....

Offline Ira

« Reply #72 on: September 10, 2011, 08:23:14 PM »
I am so glad it worked out!!!

Offline myluvisinIL

« Reply #73 on: January 03, 2012, 10:03:07 PM »
Hi everyone!

I'm new to the site and after reading the posts I think I understand the rules about the receipt being needed, the $50 "limit" and the length of the chain, but I have a question on the cross I wanted to buy my LO. Is the 2" rule from the top of the cross or the top of the loop that the chain runs through?

Thanks in advance for your help;I'm sure I'll need more of it.   :)

Offline lovinhim11

• lovin my man
« Reply #74 on: January 04, 2012, 08:22:21 AM »
It probably would be in your best interest to call the facility they are all different.

Offline destinswife

« Reply #75 on: March 07, 2012, 08:04:13 AM »
I had asked back in January about sending my husbands wedding ring, and I took the admins advice and waited until he got to his parent home. At first I was leary about mailing it so I took it with me and asked them to put it in his property and they said they could not do it they said I had to mail it. This is at Shawnee. So I read a few other posts about what to send with it so I sent the reciept and a copy of our marriage license with it. Well they ended up giving him the copy of the marriage license and he asked me why I sent him a copy I said I don't know I thought I would have to send it. So I am guessing they did not need it. But he was given his ring the next Monday after I sent it.   :wc1:

Offline RdRunner75

« Reply #76 on: April 05, 2012, 10:09:03 PM »
My husband wants his wedding band, but I have to go buy him one for in there. I called and talked to a guy at Vandalia who deals with this and he told me since he is listed as married I don't have to send our marriage license. My husband told me he was told I had to, so on the safe side I will be sending the marriage license. The guy I spoke with told me because his band is two toned in color and has the Lord's prayer with slightly raised lettering on the outside of it all the way around it they would deny it. And I also have to send the receipt with it to show it is valued $50 or under. So, in a few months I'll purchase him a plain band and send it. I know that will make him happy.

Offline peachypuff

« Reply #77 on: April 29, 2012, 10:25:22 PM »
this awesome to hear!!!!  i was wondering about wedding ring....i am new to this and so is my loved one who will be going to grahmn then to i dont know where..i will definitely find out if this is true for where he goes to!!! I would love for him to wear a wedding band and im sure he would love it too!!!
Michelle

Offline destinswife

« Reply #78 on: April 29, 2012, 11:05:47 PM »
this awesome to hear!!!!  i was wondering about wedding ring....i am new to this and so is my loved one who will be going to grahmn then to i dont know where..i will definitely find out if this is true for where he goes to!!! I would love for him to wear a wedding band and im sure he would love it too!!!

Are you two married? I think you have to actually be married for them to have their wedding rings.

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #79 on: April 30, 2012, 07:03:16 AM »

Yes peachypuff you can send your husband a wedding ring but there are rules for doing this.  It has to be a plain band and worth no more than $50 ... the best thing to do is call his parent prison and ask them and also do a search on the front page of IPT for weddings rings, old posts with information will come up for you to look through. 
Do not value the "things" you have in your life - value "who" you have in your life....

“Instead of thinking about what you're missing, try thinking about what you have that everyone else is missing.”