• October 20, 2018, 06:29:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to ILLINOIS PRISON TALK, www.illinoisprisontalk.org - A Family Support Forum and Information Center for those interacting with the Illinois Department of Corrections. IPT members are comprised of family/friends of inmates, prison reform activists, ex-offenders, prisoner rights advocates and others interested in the well-being of Illinois prisoners. We encourage open discussion but please be tolerant of other's opinions. This website is protected by Copyright 2006-2018. All rights reserved. There are some private forums that require registration, please register.

Author Topic: Jewelry Allowed in IDOC?  (Read 51408 times)

Offline kidz ladii

Re: Jewelry Allowed in IDOC?
« Reply #40 on: November 11, 2009, 02:53:22 PM »
I don't understand who they have to impress in there in the first place lol. I'd rather have $300 on my books than on my neck if I was locked up lol.

Offline irish45mj

« Reply #41 on: November 11, 2009, 05:15:16 PM »
That too, kidz!   :wc35:

Offline Lissa

« Reply #42 on: November 12, 2009, 12:00:45 AM »
For them to have a wedding band do they have to be married.

Offline Dazzler

• Editor-in-Chief
  • Administrator
  • Retired News Reporter ~ Prison Reform Advocate
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #43 on: November 12, 2009, 08:41:17 AM »
Is this a question Lissa?  Yes, they must be married to receive the wedding band and they may ask for a copy of the marriage certificate.
~ "I have visited some of the best and the worst prisons and have never seen signs of coddling, but I have seen the terrible results of the boredom and frustration of empty hours and pointless existence." ~ US Supreme Court Justice Warren Burger

~ "An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind."
~ Mahatma Gandhi

Offline chantygirl

« Reply #44 on: July 25, 2011, 06:17:20 PM »
That's weird. I know that there are inmates that have chains worth more than that. I've seen them at visit! They must be getting them in somehow. I have no idea how though. My man told me a diff story.

They are anodized titanium or stainless steel.. i work at a factory that does the process.  The gold really looks like gold when its done, the only difference is of course that it's not gold, and it doesn't wear over time like gold plated jewelry does (won't turn you green).  Now, i'm not sure where you can buy it (the factory doesn't do it for retail, we do orthopaedics, aluminum, and car parts), but i know it's out there, because it's on eBay!

Offline Mrsgreene

« Reply #45 on: July 29, 2011, 09:58:23 PM »
well im finding it almost impossible to find a plain gold band for $50...my husband can only wear gold. does anybody know of anywhere to look?

Offline chantygirl

« Reply #46 on: July 29, 2011, 10:07:20 PM »
well im finding it almost impossible to find a plain gold band for $50...my husband can only wear gold. does anybody know of anywhere to look?

This may sound crazy.. but, go to a pawn shop.. you get a receipt for a purchase and you could probably get one there for 50 or under.

Offline Mrsgreene

« Reply #47 on: July 29, 2011, 10:15:10 PM »
really? my experiences with pawn shops in the past they were so over priced...i guess it wont hurt to try. thanks!

Offline jenplus2

• Appreciate & love now, tomorrow's not guaranteed
« Reply #48 on: August 01, 2011, 06:59:41 PM »
Have u tried places like Walmart for a plain, 10K gold band? It doesn't have to be huge or thick to do the job.
~The "Not Knowing" and/or "Uncertainty" is the hardest part of any situation~
~I still have dreams, many in fact. However, as time marches on they become more focused and realistic~

Offline mellaout

« Reply #49 on: August 02, 2011, 10:20:53 AM »
Does anyone know if a rosary can be sent?

Mello

Offline lurios2

« Reply #50 on: August 02, 2011, 11:26:40 AM »
As long as its under $50.
~People don't care how much you know, until they know how much you care~

Offline Ira

« Reply #51 on: August 03, 2011, 01:21:25 PM »
Just called Taylorville and asked how to send a cross necklace. Apparently he has to get an approval from the warden and a chaplain first. It could take up to several weeks. "great"!!!!  :wc4: I will tell my husband tonight to file a request....

Offline lurios2

« Reply #52 on: August 03, 2011, 01:34:52 PM »
Just called Taylorville and asked how to send a cross necklace. Apparently he has to get an approval from the warden and a chaplain first. It could take up to several weeks. "great"!!!!  :wc4: I will tell my husband tonight to file a request....

An approval to even get it sent in? I thought the approval was just when the chain is there, then they have to approve the chain. That does take several weeks. I'm sending his in tomorrow and picking up the one he has (it broke) when I go see him this month.

Offline Ira

« Reply #53 on: August 03, 2011, 03:05:39 PM »
Yes, the lady told me not to send it in because if they do not have an approval from the warden, they are going to send it back automatically.

Offline mellaout

« Reply #54 on: August 03, 2011, 09:29:49 PM »
Eesh, hopefully that doesn't include Statesville too cause I sent mine off, I had called to see if I needed a receipt to go with it and they didn't say anything about that, just a yes it can be sent.

Mello

Offline lurios2

« Reply #55 on: August 03, 2011, 11:54:18 PM »
Man, that sucks Ira. I hope you get approved! mellaout, they are going to send it back since it doesn't have the receipt in it. I sent my J his first chain when he was in Stateville and the receipt is required. Sorry  :wc25:

Offline pats

« Reply #56 on: August 27, 2011, 11:06:44 PM »
We ordered a gold celtic cross and had it sent to Menard.  As long as it is religious and $50 or under, it is accepted.  You have it shipped right from the mail order company.  It must include a receipt. There is a certain length the chain had to be, I think no longer than 24".  I am not sure about rosary.  He should probably ask before you order one.  I have seen many guys with crosses on. 

Offline lurios2

« Reply #57 on: August 28, 2011, 09:28:51 AM »
It doesn't have to be from a mail order company. As long as you send the receipt in with it and it's $50 or less and religious, he'll get it. The first chain I got my J was from a pawn shop, the second from a mall.

Offline mellaout

« Reply #58 on: September 05, 2011, 07:33:28 PM »
Just a little update on the rosary, i sent it with a receipt (4got to mention that) w/ one of those confirmation slips from the post office. So it was received on Aug. 10th & he still hasn't gotten it yet! I did call &  the counselor said i could send it so i did. Now i spoke with the chaplain, he says IA still hasn't approved it yet. Ok i guess i kinda get it (kinda not really) but as i am speaking to him i say he's a christian, yeah ok now he says well he has to be catholic to get it. but i come back and said i looked it up on line and Christians can pray the rosary &  i printed the prayers for Christians (they substitute passages from the bible in certain places). He told me if IA approves it he will too. So I'm keeping my fingers crossed & will keep you all posted.

Mello

Offline Marks_guy

• Support Staff
« Reply #59 on: September 06, 2011, 08:18:10 AM »
I've posted this several times before, but I'll say it again just because it has become an issue for mellaout.

For an inmate to receive a religious icon, the religion most closely associated with that icon must be what they listed in their file. Otherwise it becomes an issue with getting approval.

For example, M and I have different faiths. I cannot send him an icon from my religion because it is not the one he has listed in his file.