• May 27, 2018, 10:35:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to ILLINOIS PRISON TALK, www.illinoisprisontalk.org - A Family Support Forum and Information Center for those interacting with the Illinois Department of Corrections. IPT members are comprised of family/friends of inmates, prison reform activists, ex-offenders, prisoner rights advocates and others interested in the well-being of Illinois prisoners. We encourage open discussion but please be tolerant of other's opinions. This website is protected by Copyright © 2006-2017. All rights reserved. There are some private forums that require registration, please register.

Author Topic: Lockdown Survival Guide  (Read 49466 times)

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
Re: Lockdown Survival Guide
« Reply #40 on: December 11, 2013, 10:13:29 AM »
when they are on lockdown do they still get and be able to send mail?  

Yes, as long as they have write outs they can still mail things out and they receive their mail from the outside.
Do not value the "things" you have in your life - value "who" you have in your life....

“Instead of thinking about what you're missing, try thinking about what you have that everyone else is missing.”

Offline Lil lady

« Reply #41 on: September 28, 2014, 02:03:52 PM »
 :wc70:survival for me during lockdown...

a few weeks back i started actually hand drawing crossword puzzles for my guy. The other inmates could not believe that i would spend the time doing something like that. Which it does take several hours to come up with a theme, hints, answers and then to interconnect all the answers and draw out all those little boxes. I have pretty much mastered this now and he so loves getting them to solve. He says it gives him a good brain teaser and keeps his mind sharp. The c/o was actually wanting to do the last one, lol.
I have also sent puzzles that are fill in the blanks, give hints to solve. The ideas are endless and give him a sense of being home.

Offline stan77

« Reply #42 on: September 28, 2014, 06:53:46 PM »
Lil Lady -

Sounds awesome that you make them - by hand, no less! 

For anyone looking for a free online puzzle maker, try this site - you can make Word Search & Crossword puzzles.  I've used this before to make themed puzzles that I knew would make my LO grin. 
http://www.puzzle-maker.com/

Offline Lil lady

« Reply #43 on: September 28, 2014, 07:46:23 PM »
Awesome I will ck out that site....hopefully the lockdown ends soon.
At least Im pretty sure he still gets mail, that way we are in touch somewhat..

I am so glad I found IPT

Offline gracee321

« Reply #44 on: March 05, 2015, 07:47:27 PM »
I am new to this whole thing. With a full lock-down what exactly happens? Can they send mail, get mail, receive commissary? 

Offline luvnhim

« Reply #45 on: March 05, 2015, 11:29:06 PM »
I am new to this whole thing. With a full lock-down what exactly happens? Can they send mail, get mail, receive commissary? 
welcome to IPT. They can send and receive mail always. Sometimes it is slower during a lockdown though. If you get a chance check out the PDF on here that explains the levels of lockdown and what the inmates can do on each level.

Offline loulou05

« Reply #46 on: March 14, 2015, 06:24:18 PM »
where is the PDF of what they can and can't do? I cant find it

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #47 on: July 14, 2015, 08:30:40 AM »
This topic is not for updates on the LD, please check individual prison LD threads for that.  Thank you.
Do not value the "things" you have in your life - value "who" you have in your life....

“Instead of thinking about what you're missing, try thinking about what you have that everyone else is missing.”

Offline Skittles58

« Reply #48 on: May 16, 2016, 10:02:19 PM »
I know this post is older but the ideas are still good. I need to figure so much out it is overwhelming. Does anyone know if Statesville still has a newsletter? We are going there for our first visit this week and I am very nervous. I am scared that we will travel so far and they will be on lockdown, does this happen a lot? Thanks everyone! 😃🙏

Offline trauma4us

« Reply #49 on: May 17, 2016, 06:33:49 AM »
With the bigger prisons I would call prior to leaving and then if you are still concerned, since you are coming such a long way, call when you reach the halfway point.  However, you will probably find that you are stressing out more than necessary - hope you have a great visit.