• March 18, 2019, 07:26:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to ILLINOIS PRISON TALK, www.illinoisprisontalk.org - A Family Support Forum and Information Center for those interacting with the Illinois Department of Corrections. IPT members are comprised of family/friends of inmates, prison reform activists, ex-offenders, prisoner rights advocates and others interested in the well-being of Illinois prisoners. We encourage open discussion but please be tolerant of other's opinions. This website is protected by Copyright © 2006-2019. All rights reserved. There are some private forums that require registration, please register.

Author Topic: Lodging & Travel Questions  (Read 46845 times)

Offline jcruz1104

• Always & Forever "Just Us"
Re: Lodging & Travel Questions
« Reply #80 on: September 05, 2013, 10:18:13 AM »
We are visiting Vandalia. We are coming in from Texas and looking for a hotel/motel for a night or 2.  All locations I am finding and reviews STINK! I trust IPT and hope to have a good experience. 

THANKS!!
& he said to me "the level you think i love you is way more then you can imagine, we all we got"

Offline tysmom

« Reply #81 on: September 05, 2013, 10:30:25 AM »
When I went to Vandalia I stayed at the Holiday Inn Express just a couple of miles away and was very pleased.  Very clean, full breakfast for free, indoor pool and hot tub, right off the expressway and Wal-Mart and food.  

Offline jcruz1104

• Always & Forever "Just Us"
« Reply #82 on: September 09, 2013, 09:04:55 AM »
 :wc38:
& he said to me "the level you think i love you is way more then you can imagine, we all we got"

Offline JulieD618

« Reply #83 on: December 19, 2013, 09:57:57 AM »
Hey everyone, I am looking for a hotel near Lawrence CC. I read on some of the other boards about a place in Olney. When I go to book it, it has terrible reviews, and I am hesitant to stay there because I am traveling alone from Philadelphia. I was wondering if anyone knows of what other hotels or towns are around there that I may try? I look up the surrounding towns that have hotels, but my mapquest says they are 45min away. Not to mention that I want to be as close as possible since I am picking up my bf at 8:30AM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline punksgirl

« Reply #84 on: December 19, 2013, 02:25:12 PM »
Hi, I'm looking for a clean hotel to stay at in or near Pontiac at the end of January. My luck, we will have a blizzard that day and I want to make sure I'm at the gatehouse by 8 a.m. to pick him up.  Any suggestions?

Offline Lu

« Reply #85 on: December 19, 2013, 03:41:07 PM »
To reply to the request about lodging near Lawrence:    We always stay in Vincennes!!   This is about a 15 drive to Lawrence.   It is a good road and a nice town.  I highly recommend the Holiday Inn Express.  It is moderate (about $100/night), very clean, fairly new, and has breakfast.   My second choice would be the Comfort Inn in Vincennes.   There is also a very nice state park/campground near the prison for those interested in doing that in warmer weather.   We have looked around at all the small towns around and found nothing else.   Be sure to call ahead and make a reservation since they were the booked the last time I went to visit.   I wish you a wonderful visit - and no snow.   That's a long way to come (I'm in NC) especially with the possibility of lockdowns, which they are in right now.   But it means so much to our l/o's to visit!!!

Offline JulieD618

« Reply #86 on: December 21, 2013, 09:00:45 PM »
Thanks for the response! When I look up directions from Lawrence to Vincennes it says 30 minutes driving. But if you have done it before, then I think I would prefer to stay there.

Offline robin in ohio

« Reply #87 on: December 21, 2013, 09:08:12 PM »
To reply to the request about lodging near Lawrence:    We always stay in Vincennes!!   This is about a 15 drive to Lawrence.   It is a good road and a nice town.  I highly recommend the Holiday Inn Express.  It is moderate (about $100/night), very clean, fairly new, and has breakfast.   My second choice would be the Comfort Inn in Vincennes.   There is also a very nice state park/campground near the prison for those interested in doing that in warmer weather.   We have looked around at all the small towns around and found nothing else.   Be sure to call ahead and make a reservation since they were the booked the last time I went to visit.   I wish you a wonderful visit - and no snow.   That's a long way to come (I'm in NC) especially with the possibility of lockdowns, which they are in right now.   But it means so much to our l/o's to visit!!!
The best place to stay in Olney would be The Holiday
Address: 1300 S West St, Olney, IL 62450
Phone:(618) 395-2121
It's only 10min from Lawrence.

Offline Lu

« Reply #88 on: December 22, 2013, 06:47:05 PM »
It might be a little longer than 15 minutes from Vincennes to Lawrence but well worth staying in that area vs. other towns.

Offline easjls07

« Reply #89 on: August 20, 2014, 08:34:53 AM »
Hey anyone ever visit at Vienna? Where would u recommend staying? I have a 6hr drive to get there so im going to need to stay but looking to get some good rates and i have seen horrible reviews on some hotels...

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #90 on: August 20, 2014, 08:40:45 AM »
Hey anyone ever visit at Vienna? Where would u recommend staying? I have a 6hr drive to get there so im going to need to stay but looking to get some good rates and i have seen horrible reviews on some hotels...

Do a search on the boards for Vienna Hospitality House, some stay there.
Do not value the "things" you have in your life - value "who" you have in your life....

“Instead of thinking about what you're missing, try thinking about what you have that everyone else is missing.”

Offline tkesde1

« Reply #91 on: August 20, 2014, 08:53:45 AM »
I am originally from that area, if you want a wide variety of restaurants and things to do in the evening, Marion is your best bet (30 minute drive)  (Paducah, Kentucky is about a 45 minute drive).

The Ramada in Vienna is decent (It may be called Hotel 7 now?) it's a room, mostly clean, for not a lot of money. Not much to do in Vienna, DQ, Mc'D's & a couple of local places. Next closest to Vienna is the hotel at Lake of Egypt is a dive, the bar right there at the hotel has a terrible reputation, I've been there, cheap booze, stinky carpet & the usual guys hitting on everyone. Not judging anyone :) but if that's your thing, then go for it. A lot of cabins for rent in that area, because it really is beautiful, if you are going with a group of people, that could also be your most economical choice.

T.K.
He's home!

Offline easjls07

« Reply #92 on: August 20, 2014, 11:03:33 AM »
I am originally from that area, if you want a wide variety of restaurants and things to do in the evening, Marion is your best bet (30 minute drive)  (Paducah, Kentucky is about a 45 minute drive).

The Ramada in Vienna is decent (It may be called Hotel 7 now?) it's a room, mostly clean, for not a lot of money. Not much to do in Vienna, DQ, Mc'D's & a couple of local places. Next closest to Vienna is the hotel at Lake of Egypt is a dive, the bar right there at the hotel has a terrible reputation, I've been there, cheap booze, stinky carpet & the usual guys hitting on everyone. Not judging anyone :) but if that's your thing, then go for it. A lot of cabins for rent in that area, because it really is beautiful, if you are going with a group of people, that could also be your most economical choice.

T.K.

Thank u for all of the help! I looked at that Hotel 7 and the reviews weren't bad like some of the other hotels in that area.

Offline Sizz

« Reply #93 on: August 20, 2014, 04:13:03 PM »
  I stayed at that hotel in Vienna when my fiance was in Shawnee. It was reasonably priced and clean. The staff were very nice. There is a beautiful park about a mile and a half up the road from DQ that you can walk for hours if you have the time and enjoy nature.
  Besides DQ and Mickey D's there is a Subway. I  was impressed with a place that has good  fried chicken and a lot of other comfort food. I can't remember the name but it was right near Subway. Great prices there too!
                          Hope you have a great visit!
                                                                       :wc71-1:

Offline easjls07

« Reply #94 on: August 20, 2014, 11:14:59 PM »
 I stayed at that hotel in Vienna when my fiance was in Shawnee. It was reasonably priced and clean. The staff were very nice. There is a beautiful park about a mile and a half up the road from DQ that you can walk for hours if you have the time and enjoy nature.
  Besides DQ and Mickey D's there is a Subway. I  was impressed with a place that has good  fried chicken and a lot of other comfort food. I can't remember the name but it was right near Subway. Great prices there too!
                          Hope you have a great visit!

Thank you! I think I'm going to stay there. Its close and seems reasonably priced. Plus i probly will only be sleeping there as long as the weather is nice and hopefully I'll be able to visit my L/O longer since i live further away or if they arent busy.  :)  i will have to chevk out the fried chicken too.  Lol.  :)  thanks friday will be 1 month since I've seen my L/O and this has been the longest we have ever been apart since the first day we started dating 2 1/2 yrs ago and we have 23 more months to go.
                                                                       :wc71-1:

Offline erika9085

« Reply #95 on: April 18, 2015, 02:05:50 PM »
Does anyone happen to know if a good place to stay near the Hardin County Work Camp? All I find is like lodges and no hotels. I just need some help in knowing places that are somewhat close to the camp.