• March 18, 2019, 07:24:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to ILLINOIS PRISON TALK, www.illinoisprisontalk.org - A Family Support Forum and Information Center for those interacting with the Illinois Department of Corrections. IPT members are comprised of family/friends of inmates, prison reform activists, ex-offenders, prisoner rights advocates and others interested in the well-being of Illinois prisoners. We encourage open discussion but please be tolerant of other's opinions. This website is protected by Copyright © 2006-2019. All rights reserved. There are some private forums that require registration, please register.

Author Topic: Lodging & Travel Questions  (Read 46841 times)

Offline Schrader42

• "Happiness is being married to your best friend."
Lodging & Travel Questions
« on: June 28, 2006, 09:43:57 AM »
Dancer,

I've stayed at the Super 8 Motel just down the street from Dixon on Galena.  It's clean, convenient and the price is reasonable. 

Offline dancer

• Account Closed
  • Account Retired
Re: Lodging
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2007, 01:46:10 PM »
I wonder how much business the hotels in the areas get from folks travelling to visit the prisons?
If you are driving to visit IL prisons and have to stay overnight,  stop at those  rest stops that have counters with brochures etc.  There are several brochures that have lots of hotel/motel coupons.  They have free maps also and visitor's books with things to see,  names of hotels/motels in many towns.  I asked them for names of towns near Dixon that had cheaper lodging and they were helpful.  The cheapest I found in Dixon was  $70 a night including taxes and that was with a discount.   I  called Il hotel and lodging association  877 456 3446 or check  www.stayillinois.com    she said they are pretty much for the Chicago area but she would help me.  She mentioned visiting an inmate in Dixon and said it seems the hotels are all higher near the prisons.  I'm going to stay in Rock Falls,  15 miles away this time. 

Offline ielene

• God Bless
  • Cadence, my sweet sweet girl
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2007, 02:14:44 PM »
i bought a pull trailer and leave it at a campground about 20min from Stateville. It is 1000 a year to leave it parked there and is open all year long. It has 3 lakes for fishing and you don't need a license to fish in there lakes, a swimming area, playgrounds, a bath house that to my surprise is very clean ect. The campground does need some cleaning, but I have been staying there twice a month for the last 3 or so months. There is a security guard that makes rounds all through the night and so far nothing has been messed with. My son has 75 year so far and I am sure I am going to get my money's worth before this is over. Also I have checked other campground near other prisons so I have a heads up in case he is moved and the trailer also has to be moved Manard has a few close by.
God Bless everyone no exceptions!

Offline dancer

• Account Closed
  • Account Retired
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2007, 02:32:33 PM »
How many nights do you stay there each year?    I used to stay at a Ramada in Bolingbrook that they gave me  a price of  $55 a night and it included breakfast and pool. I just looked up the state park near Dixon.  it only has primitive camping by canoe.  I camped at the campgrounds in Sumner near Lawrence for just  $7 a night!   
At Stateville there is plenty of time to kill when the visits end,  so I bet you enjoy the fishing.   

Offline ielene

• God Bless
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2007, 03:03:16 PM »
I go every other week and visit three times then two. I sometimes I just stay an extra day or so, around 7-10 days a month. It has been to cold for fishing the last few months but I am leaving tomorrow morning and truck is already packed with fishing stuff so I will let you know. Also while I was checking out campgrounds I stumbled on a sight that had free camping if it was only over night in the off seasons, I wish I would have saved it but there was a lot of places that offered free camping.
As far as my situation goes I seen no other choice as I take one of his friends with me each time I go and they are all young and could never afford to pay there own way and I could not afford it either. I also take my granddaughter she is 22mo and it is easier for all involved to just have a place we already have set up. Not only that it is a nice get away, and who knows I might just run away, whats my family going to do drive 5 hours to bring me home *(%$#

Offline momm316

• FOM Editor
  • The King is Coming!
    • Fishers of Men Prison Ministries
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2007, 11:09:22 PM »
Before my son was moved back to Stateville three years ago, we used to drive down to Menard (7 hour drive) on Fridays after I got off work and stay the night at a Hospitality House about three minutes from the prison and then get up and visit on Saturday and then drive home.  It was clean and cheap and the company was wonderful.  If you don't mind trains going by all night, it's comfortable.  I haven't talked to her for a while, so I don't know if the same person is still running it.  You took your own towels and bedding and the accommodations were comfortable.
Because of Him, I am!

Offline downtownchicago

• Banned
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2007, 05:22:40 PM »
I might also try staying at a nearby town next time I'm doing a Dixon overnighter.  I can't believe the Comfort and Quality Inns are that expensive in Dixon.  I just checked another city, Green Bay WI which is much larger than Dixon, and the lowest cost room there for a sample date, Mar 15, is only $65.  Dixon's QI for the same date starts at $83.  OK, it's not a huge difference, but $17 pays my tolls !

Sterling and Rock Falls are not far from Dixon, I might try staying there next time.  Rochelle is a little farther, but also a possibility.  I see there is a motel in Amboy which is even closer to Dixon than Sterling/Rock Falls, but it's not a brand name.

Offline lovingmy929

• We are all waiting with love
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2007, 08:19:15 PM »
Good evening all. Well I stay at the hospitality house, the director is Mary Kay, and the rates are now $12 per adults, which isn't bad from $1o. At the hospitality house you must bring your own towels and linen, you have access to a kitchen, there's a television in the lounge area, it’s clean and the director and guests are friendly. The best western in Perryville rates are $60 per night. There's Reid’s best western in Chester but i don't know how much they are now, they were $60 or $65 per night.

Offline dancer

• Account Closed
  • Account Retired
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2007, 02:22:11 PM »
Believe me I would love to stay at a hospitality house.   But I don't believe there is one around Dixon!  Where is the one you stay at loving929?  DTC I got  $70 inc taxes at the comfort inn and that was mentioning a temporary AARP membership.  (I get those cards in the mail all the time as I am over  50) You can call in advance,  ask what is the cheapest?  AAA?  And any coupon specials in those pamphlets at the rest areas in IL?  I'm not ashamed to ask for their rock bottom price.   If memory serves me correctly,  I think the super 8 next to the comfort inn was almost the same rate and not as nice.  I"ll probably have to do like daz was talking about,  go to the parking lots of the comfort or super8 there to get internet access! I looked at Rochelle,  and it is  about  30 miles away.  I thought Amboy was further?  I'm anxious to go there and see if there are Friels or Speers there.  My great grandparents were from Amboy before they moved  to SD.   
Yeah,  the tolls, gas,  hotels,  vending machines and for me,  pet sitters ,really make visits expensive. 
Maybe there is an older person or couple,  with extra room and bath in Dixon who would rent them out by the night? 

Offline Dravenscrow

• If things never changed, there'd be no butterflies
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2007, 02:33:29 PM »
I had hoped to find information about a Hospitality House near Dixon, but I was disappointed to not find anything.  We are staying 2 nights at the Quality Inn and it's going to be $180.00.  If I were going alone, it would be cheaper I guess.  I made sure to find a hotel with an indoor pool so Ashlyn could come along this trip and have fun.  When I go up by myself, a pool won't be necessary so I think I will just find something cheap without roaches!!

Offline downtownchicago

• Banned
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2007, 02:52:36 PM »
The Quality Inn is expensive considering the location, but it is nice and clean.  The Comfort Inn is owned by the same chain and is on the same property, the two hotels share the pool, and for some reason the Comfort Inn rooms are usually a little cheaper, $10-20 based on what I've seen.

Offline Dravenscrow

• If things never changed, there'd be no butterflies
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2007, 03:11:06 PM »
I was considering the Comfot Inn but I noticed on the websites that they didn't offer a "hot" breakfast and the Quality Inn did.  Since this is a paycheck where I don't have to take out rent, I had a little extra to spend.  I doubt I'll splurge this much on future visits!

Offline dancer

• Account Closed
  • Account Retired
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2007, 05:48:03 PM »
I think the quality inn and comfort Inn are side by side and owned by the same people.  Comfort Inn has a pool and whirlpool,  and definitely have a hot breakfast.  They have one of those flip over waffle machines and there is an employee there to make sure people do it right and keep refilling batter cups.

Offline downtownchicago

• Banned
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2007, 06:06:27 PM »
Comfort Inn has breakfast.

A free deluxe continental breakfast, including waffles, is served every morning and fresh baked cookies each night.

And the hotels share the pools and whirlpool.

Offline lovingmy929

• We are all waiting with love
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2007, 08:50:24 PM »
I do apologize; the hospitality house is in Chester, two to three minutes away from Menard.

Offline momm316

• FOM Editor
  • The King is Coming!
    • Fishers of Men Prison Ministries
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2007, 10:10:58 PM »
Loving929:  When my son was at Menard, we used to stay at the Hospitality House.  Isn't Mary Kay a blessing?  We used to take her a big package of toilet paper or paper towels, etc. when we'd go down in addition to the money for the room.  It's been three years since I've seen her.  I still send her and her fiance the Fishers of Men Newsletter.  She had just had a new grandbaby the last time I saw her...Wow, the baby is three years old.  Thanks for bringing back that memory... I guess I had better call her.
Because of Him, I am!

Offline dancer

• Account Closed
  • Account Retired
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2007, 12:14:08 AM »
I wish the hotel maid in south bend had not thrown out all my IL lodging info.  There are coupon books available every three months in some of those rest stops.  I will look for them next week.  I didn't see any for hotels near Dixon, but for many other areas.  Be bold and ask them about coupons, specials, etc. 

Offline Amesballz

« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2007, 12:11:37 AM »
I just stayed at the Vienna Hospitality House this weekend and it was wonderful! It is 8 miles from Vienna and Shawnee, and 30 miles from Tamms. Its only $10 a night and its clean and very homey. I met some wonderful people there and would go back in a heartbeat.

They ask that you bring your own towels, pillowcases, and sheets and that you pass the word along to others in need of a place to stay. It is open from Thursday night until Sunday morning every weekend, and reservations are needed to stay there.

If anyone has any questions or needs the phone number, let me know!

Offline Lissa

« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2007, 12:44:06 AM »
I DO APOLOGIZE, THE HOSPITALITY HOUSE IS  IN CHESTER, TWO TO THREE MINUTES AWAY FROM MENARD.

Speaking of Menard's when I go to visits I stay at the Super 8 in Perryville Missouri. My rate is usually around $60.00 but I also have things like Trip Rewards and Choice International so go online and find the best deals. The Super 8 also has a continential breakfast and a pool. The hotel is around 20 minutes to the prison.

Offline gloriab

• Gloria
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2007, 08:41:17 AM »
Hi Everyone,
I was at Canton last weekend for the 1st time.(Illinois River CC)  Not many choices but THE HERITAGE was the better of them I always ask for a CORPORATE RATE. Usually knocks about $15.00 off. In he 2 years I've been visiting no one has ever asked me for any kin of verification when I ask for corp. rate. But if they did I would simply give them my place of employment. Last year I stayed at the Fairfield Inn in Danville...$39.00 by using the family an friend link on the Marriot site. I do know someone who knows someone that works for Marriot. You can stay at any of their properties and they are nice.  Good Luck!
Gloria

Offline Favored23

• Thank you Lord!
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2007, 08:28:31 PM »
Dixon Ladies:

Which hotel is in RockFalls?  Any info. please forward.  Thanks
Psalm 146:7 (NIV)

7 He upholds the cause of the oppressed
       and gives food to the hungry.
       The LORD sets prisoners free!!

Offline whitecastleman

« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2007, 08:27:49 AM »
The comment by Lissa about Trip Rewards is a good one.  Virtually all motel chains have some type of rewards program for guests.  Its free to sign up and the points add up and can be redeemed for free nights.  Some programs also have credit card offers that allow the points to build as well.  Depending on the motel chain, there are some nice little perks that go along with the points program (free newspapers, room upgrades, late check out, etc.).  I end up staying in motels about 30 nights a year, mostly on business, and the points pile up pretty quickly.

Several months ago, my family and I were traveling during the holidays.  We stopped at a exit where there were several motels and I noticed that the parking lots were pretty empty.  I asked the clerk about the rates and decided to see if he could offer any kind of a better deal.  He ended up giving us two rooms for the price of one!  We put the kids in one room and my wife and I took the jacuzzi suite.  Nice!

Never be afraid to politely ask!

whitecastleman

Offline dancer

• Account Closed
  • Account Retired
« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2007, 07:12:46 PM »
favored,  I didn't see your question.   I stayed at the all seasons motel in rock falls when I made a trip in March.  I gave details about it under dixon prison profile.  It's easy to get to and  $40 /night inc all taxes. 

Offline Favored23

• Thank you Lord!
« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2007, 07:20:27 PM »
Thanks dancer!  Sending some Karma!
Psalm 146:7 (NIV)

7 He upholds the cause of the oppressed
       and gives food to the hungry.
       The LORD sets prisoners free!!

Offline blsgrl1231

« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2007, 09:23:53 PM »
For anyone who goes to Vienna or Shawnee... The Drury Inn in Marion, IL is awesome. It is about a half hour away from the prisons, but easy to get to and from. It's usually between $79-$99 per night w/free hot breakfast, internet access and 1 hour of free long distance calls. It is a very safe place and it's close to a mall and restaurants.

Offline AmNJr24

• I give my smiles to some, my emotions to a few, but my heart belongs to you <3
  • I miss him!
« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2007, 01:33:21 PM »
HOTEL INFO.   :)           ........http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/

Country Inn & Suites (about 25 min. from Dixon... by I88)
2106 FIRST AVENUE     
ROCK FALLS,  IL  61071
(815) 625-3200
www.countryinns.com
PRICE:
74.00 US Dollar (USD) Per night Tax excluded For 1 nights per room

ROOM DESCRIPTION:
Guest Rooms are furnished with:
-Complimentary High Speed Internet Access
-Complimentary Continental Breakfast
-Coffeemaker
-Hairdryer -Iron -Ironing Board
-Modem Hookup
-25 inch TV with Cable

FEATURES:
** Full payment due at time of booking** Cancellations made within 3 days of arrival will be charged 1 night plus tax. cancellations made 4 or more days prior to arrival will be charged $25.00.

GUARANTEE POLICY:
Advance payment required
Credit card payment only accepted
Deposit of full stay plus tax due 1 day(s) after booking
Credit card will be billed by hotel at time of booking

(I personally like Country Inn & Suites)

Holiday Inn
2105 1ST AVENUE
ROCK FALLS, IL 61071
UNITED STATES
www.holidayinn.com

ROOM DESCRIPTION:

1 KING BED LEISURE NONSMOKING   (they also have pool views, pool side rooms, and more)
WITH FREE HIGH SPEED WIRELESS INTERNET PAY PER VIEW MOVIES AND NINTENDO WORK DESK ERGONOMIC DESK CHAIR COFFEEMAKER IRON AND BOARD BLOW DRYER

Advance Purchase
$71.10   (USD) PER ROOM, PER NIGHT
TAX: 11% PER NIGHT NOT INCLUDED IN RATE EFFECTIVE 26 JULY, 2007 THRU 27 JULY, 2007
EXCLUDES GRATUITY
3 PERSON(S) PER ROOM MAXIMUM

ROOM DESCRIPTION:

2 DOUBLE BEDS NONSMOKING  (have more choices of rooms with double beds)
2 DOUBLE BEDS NEWLY REMODELED WITH MICROWAVE REFRIGERATOR COFFEEMAKER IRON AND BOARD BLOW DRYER FREE HIGH SPEED WIRELESS INTERNET PAY PER VIEW MOVIES AND NINTENDO

Advance Purchase
$80.10   (USD) PER ROOM, PER NIGHT
TAX: 11% PER NIGHT NOT INCLUDED IN RATE EFFECTIVE 26 JULY, 2007 THRU 27 JULY, 2007
EXCLUDES GRATUITY
5 PERSON(S) PER ROOM MAXIMUM

Super 8 Motel - Dixon (accept corporate discounts also)

1800 S Galena Ave
Dixon, IL 61021-9678 US
Phone: 815-284-1800

Super 8 Motel - Rock Falls/Sterling Area

2100 1st Ave
Intersection of Hwys 40 & 30
Rock Falls, IL 61071-3558 US
Phone: 815-626-8800

Free Continental Breakfast, Free High Speed Internet, Pets Allowed

Dixon Super 8- 1 adult - $55.88    2 adults- $60.88

Dixon Rock Falls- 1 auldt - $49.00   2 adults - $59.00

http://www.super8.com/Super8/control/home

Comfort Inn - Dixon - website link (all rooms are around $90 with one or two beds)

136 Plaza Dr , Dixon, IL, US, 61021
Phone: (815) 284-0500     Fax: (815) 284-0509

http://www.choicehotels.com/ires/en-US/html/RoomAvailability?hotel=IL030&sid=qaEQi.FxdF0gvae.6&sarea=7032&sname=Dixon&sstate=IL&scountry=US&sradius=40.22&slat=41.838890075683594&slon=-89.47944641113281&schain=CI&exp=&scity=Dixon&sort=&month=7&day=26&depart_month=7&depart_day=27&nroom=1&nadult1=1&nchild1=0&nadult2=1&nchild2=0&nadult3=1&nchild3=0&nadult4=1&nchild4=0&nadult5=1&nchild5=0

Quality Inn & Suites (IL204)
154 Plaza Drive , Dixon, IL, US, 61021
Phone: (815) 288-2001     Fax: (815) 288-2005
(all rooms are around $100 - $120)

Offline downtownchicago

• Banned
« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2007, 01:21:22 PM »
I have stayed at the Super 8 too, just last week in fact.  The lobby is kind of yucky but the rooms are alright.  Not as nice as the Quality Inn but much cheaper !  I paid $56 including tax for a room with 2 double beds using AAA discount (they ask you to present your AAA card at check-in).  All rooms have microwave, fridge, and coffee makers.  There was no ironing board or iron in my room, I would guess that's true of all rooms.  No elevator, if you are on the second floor you carry your luggage up a staircase.  The AC in the room worked very well (I was there during the heatwave !) though it's a bit noisy.

I have also stayed at the Quality Inn.  I like it a lot but it is kind of expensive for such a small town !  Also I made the mistake of staying there New Year's Eve, the place was crowded with noisy families, people running up and down the halls (probably to go back and forth between swimming pool and rooms), banging the doors so much that I had to tell the people across the hall from me to stop !  I had to wear earplugs to be able to fall asleep !  I will not stay there again on holidays, but will stay there at other times.

Offline AmNJr24

• I give my smiles to some, my emotions to a few, but my heart belongs to you <3
  • I miss him!
« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2007, 01:29:36 PM »
I know I put more price info. somewhere, but I don't know where it went.  I tried to calculate my Coporate discount in with the regular price online and it didn't give it to me.  Hopefully, I will get the same discount for a double bedroom :)

Offline dancer

• Account Closed
  • Account Retired
« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2007, 01:37:57 PM »
Amber,  it should all be under prison profiles.. dixon.   

Offline AmNJr24

• I miss him!
« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2007, 03:34:52 PM »
Thanks... I see it now.  It's moved to under visiting, then it's under the other Dixon Area Hotel Info. :)

Offline dancer

• Account Closed
  • Account Retired
« Reply #30 on: July 17, 2007, 08:13:03 PM »
oh!  I guess it was reorganized.   Don't be afraid to ask for their BEST price and for discounts!
Heck the enterprise car rental guy asked me where I worked.  I said i'm self employed.   I said,  how much is the discount?  He asks me if any family members work for big companies.  I said my brother in law works at General Mills.  He gave me the discount. 

Offline not the mama

• Trust me i'm a Professional
« Reply #31 on: November 12, 2007, 10:50:01 PM »
Dear god whatever you do DO NOT go to the Amboy Motel...it is a horrible flea bag!!! I live in Amboy so I know! Almost anywhere you go near Dixon will be pricey....they have many places to stay but they know that the only people who are not liveins(by the week or month) are those who come and visit relatives at Dixon CC or construction workers from wherever as they are building up the area near walmart...near the comfort inn and quality inn. because outside of town you are in the 'corn' 15 miles= 15 min. kdirt

Offline Two brothers

« Reply #32 on: November 14, 2007, 02:59:45 PM »
WHEN I TAKE MY CUSTOMERS DOWN FOR TWO DAY TRIPS TO SHAWNEE AND VIENNA I USUALLY GET A GOOD DEAL ON ROOMS RIGHT IN THE TOWN.  I SPOKE TO A FEW PEOPLE WHO TRAVELED BY THEMSELVES AND THEY USUALLY PAID MORE OVERALL THEN IF THEY WENT DOWN ON WITH ME. I USUALLY END UP WITH THEM AS CUSTOMERS WHEN THEY WEIGH IN ALL THEY MONEY SAVE.  SO THE NEXT TIME ANYBODY GOES ANYWHERE FOR TWO DAY TRAVEL CHECK AND SEEWHICH TRAVEL SERVICE GOES THERE AND CAN GET YOU THERE CHEAPER AND SAFE.  TIME AND SAVING MONEY IS OF VALUE!!!

Offline blsgrl1231

« Reply #33 on: November 14, 2007, 03:08:57 PM »
When traveling to Shawnee or Vienna, I stay at The Drury Inn in Marion, IL which is only about a half hour away from the prisons. It is a very nice place.... clean, hospitable staff, free cocktail/snack hour and free hot breakfast. It has a pool, jacuzzi and exercise room and also a guest computer in the lobby. Most important, it is very safe and is close to a nice shopping mall and many restaurants. It averages about $100.00 per night.

blsgrl

Offline Shari

• Here we are! Might as well make the best of it...
  • My Treasures!
« Reply #34 on: December 09, 2007, 09:54:11 PM »
I have some info for those of you wanting to stay in Dixon, but don't want to spend $90.  I went directly to http://www.comfortinn.com to check on pricing to see what kind of discounts they offer.  I saved $10 over what priceline was offering for my trip to Danville.  I was curious since you stated that they were $90 no matter what in Dixon.  I did a search on price and availability using the discount for internet users, and I came up with rooms for just under $75 with taxes....
True failure is to never try...

Offline lovnu4ever

« Reply #35 on: December 10, 2007, 04:20:00 AM »
If your are visitng Pinckneyville there is this place I stayed in last week called Main Street Inn. It is run by an older couple. Very clean and comfortable with no frills. The cost is 43.00 tax included and its right accross the street from McDonalds
"Without forgiveness life is governed by an endless cycle of resentment and retaliation" - Robert Assagioli -

Offline jeminirose62

• The Lost Angel
« Reply #36 on: December 27, 2007, 01:29:31 AM »
I went to menard this past weekend here are the rates for the hotels in the area

Best Western in Chester IL is $70.00 & up. It is a Best Western so it is ok. 10 -15 minutes from Menard
Hopitality House in Chester IL is $12.00 for adults and $5.00 for children. From what I understand it is a friendly place to stay. You have to bring your own linens and food. Shared bathroom each room has 2 beds and if you are traveling alone you may end up sharing a room with another guest. They fill up super fast get your reservations early.

Motel 8 in Perryville MO is $65.00 & up 30 minutes from Menard just across the Route 51 bridge in the next town. Super easy to get to. Right off I-55.
Comfort Suites in Perryville MO is $75.00 & up it is located right next to the Motel 8
Travel Lodge Inn in Perryville MO is $59.00 & up it is located across the street from the Comfort Inn and Motel 8. 

The area in Perryville MO is nice, it has a Super Wal-mart, dollar store, clothes store, video store, gas stations, all types of take out food in the area, Ponderosa steak house, Chinese Buffet, and a family resturant too. This is right off I-55 easy access back to the Chicago are or any other point beyond.

I stayed at the Travel Lodge Inn. I got Chinese take out (good food not expenisve either). Went to dollar store for puzzle books and Wal-mart for the Novels to drop off at the "electric eye". Next time I go I am bringing a big empty cooler for cold food. I am going to go to the Super Wal-Mart to do some grocery shopping before I head back. Getting two things done in a very long day.

Menard is 6 1/2 hours drive one way from the Western Suburbs (Addison IL). I only stopped twice once for gas and once at a rest stop for a pottie break.  340 miles in total each way.

Well that is what I know so far. I will post more information when I know more.

Jeminirose62

Offline WAID

• What Am I Doing?
  • That's me, I'm a TOIL GIRL!!
« Reply #37 on: January 25, 2008, 03:26:50 PM »
Ok I've been visiting with him alone now for a while & still get a little nervous, even shy about public displays of affection. Tomorow will be the first time I share a visit with anyone else, let alone his family. Yes, I knew the family all before & interacted with him in front of them as friends in the beginning & also as his girlfriend showing small gestures of affection. Actually, I interact more with them now than I did before when he was home.
So I'm kinda freakin here thinking too much into it of course...
If he does give me the tongue in front of his 80 year old grandma, will I be embarrased & razz him about being a perv lol
If he doesn't give me the tongue.. first, I will never offer to bring them with again for sure, but will it be that he doesn't want to show them how much he's into me?

I'm just gonna try to tune everything out & focus on his tonsils lol, but wanted your suggestions for me & others how to get through it, maybe some tame topics to cover???
Diamonds ARE a girls best friend.

Offline w8tn4hm

« Reply #38 on: January 25, 2008, 03:47:22 PM »
I can understand your awkwardness about the possibility of tongue kissing in front of his gramma.  But, if it makes you too uncomfortable, make a small sacrifice this time out of respect for his gramma.  I am always SO aware of the COs that a gramma would never be my first concern. *(%$# The repercussions of a little embarrassment in front of gramdma would not be anything compared to what I would feel if a CO called out his name or stopped me and him. I am ALWAYS too scared to do anything TOO demonstrative in front of them. Good luck and have a great visit!

W8

Offline Amarie

• Kindness in words creates confidence
« Reply #39 on: January 25, 2008, 03:58:30 PM »
WAID,

Grandma might suprise you both and turn her head for this or tell you it is okay. If not I agree with W8 I would skip the kiss this time out. I don't think if he didn't give you the tongue it would be because he doesn't want his family to know his true feelings I would think it would be for the very reason you mentioned it would be an uncomfortable situation. You could just wait until the end of the visit and let his family walk away first then get your kiss in.
"Concern yourself not with what you tried and failed in, but with what is still possible for you to do."

Offline WAID

• What Am I Doing?
« Reply #40 on: January 25, 2008, 04:06:53 PM »
Yeah I'm thinking.... here's the key, go warm the car up granny! lol

Offline downtownchicago

• Banned
« Reply #41 on: January 25, 2008, 05:42:35 PM »
LOL!  Give 'em all a good show !  Do that little leg kick thing too.  :-)

Offline Schrader42

• "Happiness is being married to your best friend."
« Reply #42 on: January 25, 2008, 05:47:53 PM »
I don't like taking his family along because I never get a word in and my husband always tells me not to bring them until next year.

Offline Amarie

• Kindness in words creates confidence
« Reply #43 on: January 25, 2008, 06:28:46 PM »
Schrader,

:-D that is too funny but oh so true. My Guy doesn't want his family in on our visits either simply because after 10 mins of catching up then what is there to say. So, they spend the rest of the time trying to make chit chat or listening to us and I can't say things I would normally say in front of them. When they tell me they are going I say enjoy your visit and no thanks I don't want to go with.

Waid, I would certainly find a way to get that kiss in!!!!
"Concern yourself not with what you tried and failed in, but with what is still possible for you to do."

Offline WAID

• What Am I Doing?
« Reply #44 on: January 25, 2008, 10:14:38 PM »
I'm fairly certain after just the hassle of figuring out if they can go or if they need to be picked up, them making it only a day trip instead of overnight as I'd like, the awkwardness of all day with them& not being free to act as I want with my lover, is SOOOOO not worth sharing the gas for me. It will not be a regular thing, I can tell ya already! I'll probably not be able to contain it, I haven't seen him in 2 months so I'm sure after a 4 hour trip with grandma complaining the grandkids never come see her & his shy brother not saying much at all. I'll hug him a very long time & say rescue me! lol Then getting to sit right next to him at the table & up at the vending machines, will probably not be able to contain it on leaving either! lol

So I'm goin with DTC's suggestion of a good show & give em something to talk about to the other relatives to scare them away from asking to go with me next time lol
Besides I figure if I can get away with it from watchfull CO's, I'm not gonna let granny effect the smooches I deserve! Just have to have some small talk ideas for the hours in between???
I'm thinking to tap granny's mind on his childhood moments, Italian language lessons we're learning & about a trip to Italy we have as a goal.

Offline mamacita1

• Support Staff
  • Hope Springs Eternal
« Reply #45 on: January 25, 2008, 10:23:20 PM »
No questions to granny about her first kiss? bling

Offline muah

« Reply #46 on: January 25, 2008, 10:28:03 PM »
i actually have done several shared visits with his mom.  She is a great person and I always enjoy her company...so it works out fine.

Of course we are different when she is there....but thats fine...Our relationship is not all about sex.  We also love family time.  We are going to be married one day and family is important. 

What I do is when she is there, I always have her hug him first...then while she is sitting I kiss him.  Then on the way out she says goodbye first and then she walks away to the front while we say goodbye.

We get a few moments when she goes to the vending machine. 

He actually thinks its funny to find a subtle way to tease each other in a secretive way that only we understand.

Enjoy the time no matter the situation.  Every moment we get during this chaos rocks

Kissssessssssssss  (just save the tounge on the one visit! haha)

Offline RGB929

• I am faithfully & patiently waiting for my baby!!
  • Nothing can keep us apart!!
« Reply #47 on: January 26, 2008, 12:52:42 AM »
i actually have done several shared visits with his mom.  She is a great person and I always enjoy her company...so it works out fine.

Of course we are different when she is there....but thats fine...Our relationship is not all about sex.  We also love family time.  We are going to be married one day and family is important. 

What I do is when she is there, I always have her hug him first...then while she is sitting I kiss him.  Then on the way out she says goodbye first and then she walks away to the front while we say goodbye.

We get a few moments when she goes to the vending machine. 

He actually thinks its funny to find a subtle way to tease each other in a secretive way that only we understand.

Enjoy the time no matter the situation.  Every moment we get during this chaos rocks

Kissssessssssssss  (just save the tounge on the one visit! haha)

we are handle it pretty the same when it comes to his mom.. he actually tell his mom to get something for him to eat so we can talk privately and she takes her time giving us our own privacy.. and she hugs him first when saying hi and i dont care about her being there or not i have to have my tongue action even if its only a few second.. also she says by first and i get the last hug and toungue action again.. lol.. she did say "okay thats enough" lol.. it is weird if you're there with someone.. you cant really talk about each other because you dont want to sound too in-love, lovey dovey in front of others.. but hey its always better to drive with someone than be alone  :)

Offline Locasarai80

• Lost without him
  • I miss my baby
« Reply #48 on: January 26, 2008, 08:46:23 PM »
I really don't think his gma is going to mind.  I am sure she's given the tounge!  Not to be disrespectful but she's been there I'm sure and if it was her man and she hardly ever got to see him...she'd wanna a "really good kiss" too! 
Give him a great kiss and make me proud~!
Be careful of that one guy...he's an ass...and hope you get a table in the back of that shack! love2

Offline broken

« Reply #49 on: January 26, 2008, 11:05:46 PM »
I hope you had a nice visit! and Sarai, i know exactly what guy you are talking about!!  LOL 123123  he looks like that!! LOL

Offline Locasarai80

• Lost without him
  • I miss my baby
« Reply #50 on: January 27, 2008, 01:19:51 AM »
broken...he does!  HAHA  >?)^%

Offline WAID

• What Am I Doing?
« Reply #51 on: January 28, 2008, 12:44:11 AM »
So many tales to tell, but in a nutshell, I'm over the 1s time with family jitters, heres how it went:
Everyone bailed except granny. We had some good conversations on how she grew up & met her husband, then we actually have the same opinions on work ethics, spoiled children these days, his crazy family & his daughters mother lol She kept touching my arm, thanking me for supporting him & inviting her to go, so I think we bonded. lol
I got my kisses!! Neither 1 of us was shy about it & he started it, I just followed suit. lol That night in the hotel, I brought it up that I was kinda worried about showing affection in front of her & she said are you kidding, I don't think he kissed you enough! Go granny, I agree! She told him something to the effect of her blessing on what a good woman I am for him. This coming from the old school Italian matriarch, I hope the fool recognizes her wisdom.
Both days we had conversations all together, they would talk about people I didn't know & I would just feel his muscles & rub the hair off his arm lol, then when him & I started having conversations about his legal stuff, about us or our kids, she actually got up & grabbed a religious book & read quietly. On leaving, she'd say good bye first, then start out to the guardshack herself. I guess we were curteous & respectful of each others time with him.
She did take a nap on the way home & when I dropped her off she said I'm sorry I wasn't much company, but I figure you'd heard enough of my mouth so I just shut up & listened to the music. She enjoyed my Michael Buble cd, which is a new crooner with remakes of Sinatra, Dean Martin & big band jazz hits.
Although I wouldn't want to offer it every time, it was nice to share that with them. Thanks for the support!

Offline mamacita1

• Support Staff
  • Hope Springs Eternal
« Reply #52 on: January 28, 2008, 08:48:35 AM »
You know, anyone who has lived a long time has seen and experienced many things.  The beautiful part of a matriarch is that they keep the family together, regardless of society's "woes" on someone's actions.  She obviously feels that you are going to continue in the tradition that is important to her: loyalty and love.

Indeed, your loved one is lucky to have both you and a loving matriarchal grandmother.

mamacita

Offline mattb

« Reply #53 on: February 17, 2009, 07:57:13 PM »
Can anyone tell me if there agape houses like the ones aroumd missouri prisons.     they verify you are on a inmates visiting list and then let you sleep there while visiting for a very cheap price. is there anything like this in illinois that may help me visit my wife i have a very low budget for me and our son to see her. please and thank you

Offline Jims

• Juvenile Justice Specialist/Research Specialist
  • Throw Away the Key
« Reply #54 on: February 17, 2009, 08:52:48 PM »
There are hospitality houses near several prisons in Illinois. I know of the one near Menard in Chester. They charge a very reasonable rate (the last I heard it was $10/night, but that was several years ago) and you need to bring your own linens.
What's done to children, they will do to society.  ~Karl Menninger

Offline JDsMom

• RettWilliams Facebook
« Reply #55 on: February 17, 2009, 11:42:11 PM »
There's another one in Vienna, same price etc. it's on another thread here on the forum I do believe. What facility is your wife in ?
"WICOH'ON OTEHIKE"........Cherokee language, means The Difficult Path

Offline JDsMom

• RettWilliams Facebook
« Reply #56 on: February 17, 2009, 11:43:26 PM »
Hospitality House of Vienna
504 W Vine St, Vienna IL
618-658-2722

They ask for a donation , of $10.00 a night, call in advance to reserve a room. There is no smoking, but there is a kitchen and dining and living area for all, you can bring your own food/drinks. Bathrooms in the rooms, very nice place run by a Christian group/Church. Just google it, and you will see where it is located at.
"WICOH'ON OTEHIKE"........Cherokee language, means The Difficult Path

Offline mattb

« Reply #57 on: February 18, 2009, 12:39:27 AM »
Thanks my wife is in dwight at the moment but may get transfered to lincoln or decatur are there hospitality house by dwight  lincoln and decatur

Offline shorty24

• I'M HERE TIL THE END
« Reply #58 on: February 18, 2009, 02:10:44 AM »
Well the hospitality house in chester which is for the Menard Prison is now $15 a night an I don't know how much it is for kids but it's not a lot and yes you do have to take your own linen and things.  Well good luck with your search.
When he's hurting I'm hurting, When I'm hurting he's hurting. (I'm him, he is me!)

Offline ielene

• God Bless
Re: Lodging & Travel Questions
« Reply #59 on: August 01, 2009, 02:14:26 AM »
I am just a bit concerned about Stateviile closing the 1st of September. Just wondering if anyone knows of a campground around or near Thompson? I do not see where else they can send him? Even if it does not close now, it is going to happen sooner or later and I can't move closer and will always travel to see my boy. Just trying to plan ahead.

Offline jsmom

« Reply #60 on: August 01, 2009, 10:10:32 AM »
Ielene, Thomson is less than an hour from me and I'm not real familiar with the town but I am familiar with a few parks for camping near there. I googled it for campgrounds so will include that link for you to check out.

http://maps.google.com/maps?oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=campgrounds+near+thomson+illinois&fb=1&split=1&gl=us&view=text&ei=YVl0SsY-lYIxjfbZsQw&sa=X&oi=local_group&ct=more-results&resnum=1

Let me know if I can be of any further help to you.
Live for today
Laugh for the moment
Love forever

Offline ielene

• God Bless
« Reply #61 on: August 01, 2009, 11:49:20 AM »
Thanks, I had called some of these a few days ago. Most was very confused when I asked about the winter months, like who in there right mind wants to stay in an RV in the middle of winter? The Seven Eagle is the most promising so far. It is much nicer than the one I am at now for the same price. Only a few miles from Thompson. I am not sure about the winter months as I don't think they quite understood as to why I would even want to be there. I am going to call a few others on that list that didn't come up on my search. I just need them to listen after I mention winter LOL. Thanks for the help, I may even drive there after I see my son this month. Maybe I can make the understand better if I talk to them in person. If I pass your area maybe we could do lunch or something.

Offline autumns_mummee

• "The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched - they must be felt with the heart. "
« Reply #62 on: August 03, 2009, 09:57:57 PM »
I visit Logan in Lincoln, we stay at the Hampton Inn right next to Cracker Barrel exit 126 off I55 I believe. It's fairly new. There is also a Steak & Shake nearby & a Wal-Mart, lots of gas stations etc. It's about $80 a night but they have the most comfy beds in the world, an indoor pool, internet access & a great continental breakfast. The staff is really friendly too. Nice view of a cornfield out back. lol

Offline icebox521

« Reply #63 on: August 12, 2009, 03:52:04 AM »
Hi everyone. My sister and I will be driving to Vienna, Il this week to see my nephew (a 6 hr drive one way!)  since its our first time going there, we have no idea where to stay the night. many of the post on here    about lodging are from years ago, so I was hoping someone would have some current advice on this. We want to stay in the most reasonable priced hotel that we can, since we wont be spending a lot of time there, and only 1 night, but we sure want a clean and pleasant place to stay. Recommendations would be appreciated. Thankyou.

Offline ms. doing her thang

« Reply #64 on: September 13, 2009, 06:50:56 PM »
wondering if anyone knows the price for the irish house next door to the facility

Offline Naddy71

« Reply #65 on: May 26, 2010, 05:22:45 AM »
Hi, I am hoping to travel to Illinois later on this year to visit my l/o at Taylorville and was wondering if anybody on here could tell me the closest hotel/motel to the correctional centre? I will be travelling from Chicago by train to Springfield and then hiring a car for a few days. Is it best to stay in Taylorville rather than Springfield? Any advice would be appreciated. Coming a long way and need to get accommadation sorted.

Naddy71

Offline plainjane

Joliet Super 8? Visiting Stateville
« Reply #66 on: June 30, 2010, 10:07:21 AM »
I'm visiting Stateville in a couple of weeks, and was wondering if anyone has ever stayed at the Super 8 in Joliet? Looks like an okay place, but I'm from out of state, have never been to the area before. Is it pretty safe? It looks like it's right off of Division St., and as I understand, Stateville is off Division/Rt. 53. Any feedback would be most appreciated.

http://www.super8.com/Super8/control/Booking/property_info?propertyId=03380

Offline Dazzler

• Editor-in-Chief
  • Administrator
  • Retired News Reporter ~ Prison Reform Advocate
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #67 on: June 30, 2010, 10:09:29 AM »
It's a decent area.  We've had many members stay there on visits.  There's lots of shopping and restaurants in the area and it's a quick drive to the prison.
~ "I have visited some of the best and the worst prisons and have never seen signs of coddling, but I have seen the terrible results of the boredom and frustration of empty hours and pointless existence." ~ US Supreme Court Justice Warren Burger

~ "An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind."
~ Mahatma Gandhi

Offline gege15

« Reply #68 on: March 09, 2011, 09:20:36 AM »
I live in chicago and im trying to visit my fiancee in robinson c c does anyone know any traveling services that go out there. I used to travel with family times but they no longer travel. So if anyone has any info plz hit me up thanks

Offline Crowe29

• I Will Love You Till They Take My Heart
« Reply #69 on: April 22, 2011, 12:03:20 AM »
My baby was telling me about a motel across The road from IL Riv for $10/nite...does any one have any info on that or has stayed there??? What other lodging options are there around Canton??? Plz lemme know...greatly appreciate it! :)

Offline Crowe29

« Reply #71 on: April 24, 2011, 10:24:37 PM »
 :wc38: prices look pretty decent...even better if I split it with a friend :)

Offline mrsjackson7

« Reply #72 on: April 30, 2011, 08:21:26 PM »
Crowe29 - Sometimes I do overnites in Canton.  Two ladies and myself split a room for a night at the Super8 which is down by their Wal-mart (just go east of the Burger King off IL-9 - - - Ithink).  The room had 3 full size beds in it which we loved.  It was quite clean and I saw no bedbugs when I checked the covers, matresses, and pillows.  The innkeepers were hospitable.  There is a steakhouse with a buffet right up the road from the motel on your way to IRCC.  The food was good, too.  There is Canton Inn on the way into the town on IL-9 coming from Peoria.  I have not stayed there.  The one of which your LO is speaking isn't exactly across the street, but it is closest to the place.  It looks like a little small town motel and neither have I stayed there.  I hope this info was helpful to you.

Offline Crowe29

« Reply #73 on: April 30, 2011, 09:37:10 PM »
Thank u MrsJackson :) i'll def keep that in mind...where all are u coming from...maybe we can work something out for a carpool next time u go to IRCC??? will gladly split the expenses :)

Offline mrsjackson7

« Reply #74 on: May 05, 2011, 11:10:42 PM »
Hi Crowe29, we are all living in Rockford; it's about 25 miles from the Wisconsin state line midway Illinois' upper area.  If you don't mind coming here, we don't mind another rider.  :wc12:
Right now, there are 3 of us and we split everything 3 ways.  4 ways would save us all.  All you all the way in Chicago or in the burbs?  We will be going on Saturday for our Mother's Day visit.

Offline Crowe29

« Reply #75 on: May 06, 2011, 12:04:52 PM »
MrsJackson: i'm planning on going next Sunday as tomorrow I'm graduating, yay! I'm on the edge of Chicago, very close to Des Plaines/Park Ridge, right off the 90 or the 290 depending on which house i'm at that day, lol! Which route do you take to get down there??? I was thinking of meeting ya'll half-way somewhere en route, I also have a way to be close to the 55 if necessary. Plz let me know how we can work this out so I'm not driving to Rockford by myself (yeah, i'm a bit of a chicken, lol!) U can pm me with options n arrangements...would so love to share the ride with ya'll! :)

Offline piirate

« Reply #76 on: January 06, 2012, 02:27:46 PM »
Not sure if I'm in the right place.

Has anyone gone to the super 8 in danville?

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #77 on: January 06, 2012, 03:33:13 PM »
Not sure if I'm in the right place.

Has anyone gone to the super 8 in danville?

You might want to ask this on the Danville Chat board.
Do not value the "things" you have in your life - value "who" you have in your life....

“Instead of thinking about what you're missing, try thinking about what you have that everyone else is missing.”

Offline piirate

« Reply #78 on: January 06, 2012, 06:19:41 PM »
sorry

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #79 on: January 06, 2012, 06:20:58 PM »
sorry

No, don't be sorry, I just think you will get  a quicker answer on that board.
Do not value the "things" you have in your life - value "who" you have in your life....

“Instead of thinking about what you're missing, try thinking about what you have that everyone else is missing.”

Offline jcruz1104

• Always & Forever "Just Us"
« Reply #80 on: September 05, 2013, 10:18:13 AM »
We are visiting Vandalia. We are coming in from Texas and looking for a hotel/motel for a night or 2.  All locations I am finding and reviews STINK! I trust IPT and hope to have a good experience. 

THANKS!!
& he said to me "the level you think i love you is way more then you can imagine, we all we got"

Offline tysmom

« Reply #81 on: September 05, 2013, 10:30:25 AM »
When I went to Vandalia I stayed at the Holiday Inn Express just a couple of miles away and was very pleased.  Very clean, full breakfast for free, indoor pool and hot tub, right off the expressway and Wal-Mart and food.  

Offline jcruz1104

• Always & Forever "Just Us"
« Reply #82 on: September 09, 2013, 09:04:55 AM »
 :wc38:
& he said to me "the level you think i love you is way more then you can imagine, we all we got"

Offline JulieD618

« Reply #83 on: December 19, 2013, 09:57:57 AM »
Hey everyone, I am looking for a hotel near Lawrence CC. I read on some of the other boards about a place in Olney. When I go to book it, it has terrible reviews, and I am hesitant to stay there because I am traveling alone from Philadelphia. I was wondering if anyone knows of what other hotels or towns are around there that I may try? I look up the surrounding towns that have hotels, but my mapquest says they are 45min away. Not to mention that I want to be as close as possible since I am picking up my bf at 8:30AM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline punksgirl

« Reply #84 on: December 19, 2013, 02:25:12 PM »
Hi, I'm looking for a clean hotel to stay at in or near Pontiac at the end of January. My luck, we will have a blizzard that day and I want to make sure I'm at the gatehouse by 8 a.m. to pick him up.  Any suggestions?

Offline Lu

« Reply #85 on: December 19, 2013, 03:41:07 PM »
To reply to the request about lodging near Lawrence:    We always stay in Vincennes!!   This is about a 15 drive to Lawrence.   It is a good road and a nice town.  I highly recommend the Holiday Inn Express.  It is moderate (about $100/night), very clean, fairly new, and has breakfast.   My second choice would be the Comfort Inn in Vincennes.   There is also a very nice state park/campground near the prison for those interested in doing that in warmer weather.   We have looked around at all the small towns around and found nothing else.   Be sure to call ahead and make a reservation since they were the booked the last time I went to visit.   I wish you a wonderful visit - and no snow.   That's a long way to come (I'm in NC) especially with the possibility of lockdowns, which they are in right now.   But it means so much to our l/o's to visit!!!

Offline JulieD618

« Reply #86 on: December 21, 2013, 09:00:45 PM »
Thanks for the response! When I look up directions from Lawrence to Vincennes it says 30 minutes driving. But if you have done it before, then I think I would prefer to stay there.

Offline robin in ohio

« Reply #87 on: December 21, 2013, 09:08:12 PM »
To reply to the request about lodging near Lawrence:    We always stay in Vincennes!!   This is about a 15 drive to Lawrence.   It is a good road and a nice town.  I highly recommend the Holiday Inn Express.  It is moderate (about $100/night), very clean, fairly new, and has breakfast.   My second choice would be the Comfort Inn in Vincennes.   There is also a very nice state park/campground near the prison for those interested in doing that in warmer weather.   We have looked around at all the small towns around and found nothing else.   Be sure to call ahead and make a reservation since they were the booked the last time I went to visit.   I wish you a wonderful visit - and no snow.   That's a long way to come (I'm in NC) especially with the possibility of lockdowns, which they are in right now.   But it means so much to our l/o's to visit!!!
The best place to stay in Olney would be The Holiday
Address: 1300 S West St, Olney, IL 62450
Phone:(618) 395-2121
It's only 10min from Lawrence.

Offline Lu

« Reply #88 on: December 22, 2013, 06:47:05 PM »
It might be a little longer than 15 minutes from Vincennes to Lawrence but well worth staying in that area vs. other towns.

Offline easjls07

« Reply #89 on: August 20, 2014, 08:34:53 AM »
Hey anyone ever visit at Vienna? Where would u recommend staying? I have a 6hr drive to get there so im going to need to stay but looking to get some good rates and i have seen horrible reviews on some hotels...

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #90 on: August 20, 2014, 08:40:45 AM »
Hey anyone ever visit at Vienna? Where would u recommend staying? I have a 6hr drive to get there so im going to need to stay but looking to get some good rates and i have seen horrible reviews on some hotels...

Do a search on the boards for Vienna Hospitality House, some stay there.

Offline tkesde1

« Reply #91 on: August 20, 2014, 08:53:45 AM »
I am originally from that area, if you want a wide variety of restaurants and things to do in the evening, Marion is your best bet (30 minute drive)  (Paducah, Kentucky is about a 45 minute drive).

The Ramada in Vienna is decent (It may be called Hotel 7 now?) it's a room, mostly clean, for not a lot of money. Not much to do in Vienna, DQ, Mc'D's & a couple of local places. Next closest to Vienna is the hotel at Lake of Egypt is a dive, the bar right there at the hotel has a terrible reputation, I've been there, cheap booze, stinky carpet & the usual guys hitting on everyone. Not judging anyone :) but if that's your thing, then go for it. A lot of cabins for rent in that area, because it really is beautiful, if you are going with a group of people, that could also be your most economical choice.

T.K.
He's home!

Offline easjls07

« Reply #92 on: August 20, 2014, 11:03:33 AM »
I am originally from that area, if you want a wide variety of restaurants and things to do in the evening, Marion is your best bet (30 minute drive)  (Paducah, Kentucky is about a 45 minute drive).

The Ramada in Vienna is decent (It may be called Hotel 7 now?) it's a room, mostly clean, for not a lot of money. Not much to do in Vienna, DQ, Mc'D's & a couple of local places. Next closest to Vienna is the hotel at Lake of Egypt is a dive, the bar right there at the hotel has a terrible reputation, I've been there, cheap booze, stinky carpet & the usual guys hitting on everyone. Not judging anyone :) but if that's your thing, then go for it. A lot of cabins for rent in that area, because it really is beautiful, if you are going with a group of people, that could also be your most economical choice.

T.K.

Thank u for all of the help! I looked at that Hotel 7 and the reviews weren't bad like some of the other hotels in that area.

Offline Sizz

« Reply #93 on: August 20, 2014, 04:13:03 PM »
  I stayed at that hotel in Vienna when my fiance was in Shawnee. It was reasonably priced and clean. The staff were very nice. There is a beautiful park about a mile and a half up the road from DQ that you can walk for hours if you have the time and enjoy nature.
  Besides DQ and Mickey D's there is a Subway. I  was impressed with a place that has good  fried chicken and a lot of other comfort food. I can't remember the name but it was right near Subway. Great prices there too!
                          Hope you have a great visit!
                                                                       :wc71-1:

Offline easjls07

« Reply #94 on: August 20, 2014, 11:14:59 PM »
 I stayed at that hotel in Vienna when my fiance was in Shawnee. It was reasonably priced and clean. The staff were very nice. There is a beautiful park about a mile and a half up the road from DQ that you can walk for hours if you have the time and enjoy nature.
  Besides DQ and Mickey D's there is a Subway. I  was impressed with a place that has good  fried chicken and a lot of other comfort food. I can't remember the name but it was right near Subway. Great prices there too!
                          Hope you have a great visit!

Thank you! I think I'm going to stay there. Its close and seems reasonably priced. Plus i probly will only be sleeping there as long as the weather is nice and hopefully I'll be able to visit my L/O longer since i live further away or if they arent busy.  :)  i will have to chevk out the fried chicken too.  Lol.  :)  thanks friday will be 1 month since I've seen my L/O and this has been the longest we have ever been apart since the first day we started dating 2 1/2 yrs ago and we have 23 more months to go.
                                                                       :wc71-1:

Offline erika9085

« Reply #95 on: April 18, 2015, 02:05:50 PM »
Does anyone happen to know if a good place to stay near the Hardin County Work Camp? All I find is like lodges and no hotels. I just need some help in knowing places that are somewhat close to the camp.