• March 18, 2019, 07:22:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to ILLINOIS PRISON TALK, www.illinoisprisontalk.org - A Family Support Forum and Information Center for those interacting with the Illinois Department of Corrections. IPT members are comprised of family/friends of inmates, prison reform activists, ex-offenders, prisoner rights advocates and others interested in the well-being of Illinois prisoners. We encourage open discussion but please be tolerant of other's opinions. This website is protected by Copyright © 2006-2019. All rights reserved. There are some private forums that require registration, please register.

Author Topic: Lodging & Travel Questions  (Read 46840 times)

Offline Schrader42

• "Happiness is being married to your best friend."
Lodging & Travel Questions
« on: June 28, 2006, 09:43:57 AM »
Dancer,

I've stayed at the Super 8 Motel just down the street from Dixon on Galena.  It's clean, convenient and the price is reasonable. 

Offline dancer

• Account Closed
  • Account Retired
Re: Lodging
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2007, 01:46:10 PM »
I wonder how much business the hotels in the areas get from folks travelling to visit the prisons?
If you are driving to visit IL prisons and have to stay overnight,  stop at those  rest stops that have counters with brochures etc.  There are several brochures that have lots of hotel/motel coupons.  They have free maps also and visitor's books with things to see,  names of hotels/motels in many towns.  I asked them for names of towns near Dixon that had cheaper lodging and they were helpful.  The cheapest I found in Dixon was  $70 a night including taxes and that was with a discount.   I  called Il hotel and lodging association  877 456 3446 or check  www.stayillinois.com    she said they are pretty much for the Chicago area but she would help me.  She mentioned visiting an inmate in Dixon and said it seems the hotels are all higher near the prisons.  I'm going to stay in Rock Falls,  15 miles away this time. 

Offline ielene

• God Bless
  • Cadence, my sweet sweet girl
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2007, 02:14:44 PM »
i bought a pull trailer and leave it at a campground about 20min from Stateville. It is 1000 a year to leave it parked there and is open all year long. It has 3 lakes for fishing and you don't need a license to fish in there lakes, a swimming area, playgrounds, a bath house that to my surprise is very clean ect. The campground does need some cleaning, but I have been staying there twice a month for the last 3 or so months. There is a security guard that makes rounds all through the night and so far nothing has been messed with. My son has 75 year so far and I am sure I am going to get my money's worth before this is over. Also I have checked other campground near other prisons so I have a heads up in case he is moved and the trailer also has to be moved Manard has a few close by.
God Bless everyone no exceptions!

Offline dancer

• Account Closed
  • Account Retired
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2007, 02:32:33 PM »
How many nights do you stay there each year?† † I used to stay at a Ramada in Bolingbrook that they gave me† a price of† $55 a night and it included breakfast and pool. I just looked up the state park near Dixon.† it only has primitive camping by canoe.† I camped at the campgrounds in Sumner near Lawrence for just† $7 a night!† †
At Stateville there is plenty of time to kill when the visits end,  so I bet you enjoy the fishing.   

Offline ielene

• God Bless
  • Cadence, my sweet sweet girl
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2007, 03:03:16 PM »
I go every other week and visit three times then two. I sometimes I just stay an extra day or so, around 7-10 days a month. It has been to cold for fishing the last few months but I am leaving tomorrow morning and truck is already packed with fishing stuff so I will let you know. Also while I was checking out campgrounds I stumbled on a sight that had free camping if it was only over night in the off seasons, I wish I would have saved it but there was a lot of places that offered free camping.
As far as my situation goes I seen no other choice as I take one of his friends with me each time I go and they are all young and could never afford to pay there own way and I could not afford it either. I also take my granddaughter she is 22mo and it is easier for all involved to just have a place we already have set up. Not only that it is a nice get away, and who knows I might just run away, whats my family going to do drive 5 hours to bring me home *(%$#
God Bless everyone no exceptions!

Offline momm316

• FOM Editor
  • The King is Coming!
    • Fishers of Men Prison Ministries
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2007, 11:09:22 PM »
Before my son was moved back to Stateville three years ago, we used to drive down to Menard (7 hour drive) on Fridays after I got off work and stay the night at a Hospitality House about three minutes from the prison and then get up and visit on Saturday and then drive home.  It was clean and cheap and the company was wonderful.  If you don't mind trains going by all night, it's comfortable.  I haven't talked to her for a while, so I don't know if the same person is still running it.  You took your own towels and bedding and the accommodations were comfortable.
Because of Him, I am!

Offline downtownchicago

• Banned
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2007, 05:22:40 PM »
I might also try staying at a nearby town next time I'm doing a Dixon overnighter.  I can't believe the Comfort and Quality Inns are that expensive in Dixon.  I just checked another city, Green Bay WI which is much larger than Dixon, and the lowest cost room there for a sample date, Mar 15, is only $65.  Dixon's QI for the same date starts at $83.  OK, it's not a huge difference, but $17 pays my tolls !

Sterling and Rock Falls are not far from Dixon, I might try staying there next time.  Rochelle is a little farther, but also a possibility.  I see there is a motel in Amboy which is even closer to Dixon than Sterling/Rock Falls, but it's not a brand name.

Offline lovingmy929

• We are all waiting with love
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2007, 08:19:15 PM »
Good evening all. Well I stay at the hospitality house, the director is Mary Kay, and the rates are now $12 per adults, which isn't bad from $1o. At the hospitality house you must bring your own towels and linen, you have access to a kitchen, there's a television in the lounge area, itís clean and the director and guests are friendly. The best western in Perryville rates are $60 per night. There's Reidís best western in Chester but i don't know how much they are now, they were $60 or $65 per night.

Offline dancer

• Account Closed
  • Account Retired
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2007, 02:22:11 PM »
Believe me I would love to stay at a hospitality house.   But I don't believe there is one around Dixon!  Where is the one you stay at loving929?  DTC I got  $70 inc taxes at the comfort inn and that was mentioning a temporary AARP membership.  (I get those cards in the mail all the time as I am over  50) You can call in advance,  ask what is the cheapest?  AAA?  And any coupon specials in those pamphlets at the rest areas in IL?  I'm not ashamed to ask for their rock bottom price.   If memory serves me correctly,  I think the super 8 next to the comfort inn was almost the same rate and not as nice.  I"ll probably have to do like daz was talking about,  go to the parking lots of the comfort or super8 there to get internet access! I looked at Rochelle,  and it is  about  30 miles away.  I thought Amboy was further?  I'm anxious to go there and see if there are Friels or Speers there.  My great grandparents were from Amboy before they moved  to SD.   
Yeah,  the tolls, gas,  hotels,  vending machines and for me,  pet sitters ,really make visits expensive. 
Maybe there is an older person or couple,  with extra room and bath in Dixon who would rent them out by the night? 

Offline Dravenscrow

• If things never changed, there'd be no butterflies
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2007, 02:33:29 PM »
I had hoped to find information about a Hospitality House near Dixon, but I was disappointed to not find anything.  We are staying 2 nights at the Quality Inn and it's going to be $180.00.  If I were going alone, it would be cheaper I guess.  I made sure to find a hotel with an indoor pool so Ashlyn could come along this trip and have fun.  When I go up by myself, a pool won't be necessary so I think I will just find something cheap without roaches!!

Offline downtownchicago

• Banned
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2007, 02:52:36 PM »
The Quality Inn is expensive considering the location, but it is nice and clean.  The Comfort Inn is owned by the same chain and is on the same property, the two hotels share the pool, and for some reason the Comfort Inn rooms are usually a little cheaper, $10-20 based on what I've seen.

Offline Dravenscrow

• If things never changed, there'd be no butterflies
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2007, 03:11:06 PM »
I was considering the Comfot Inn but I noticed on the websites that they didn't offer a "hot" breakfast and the Quality Inn did.  Since this is a paycheck where I don't have to take out rent, I had a little extra to spend.  I doubt I'll splurge this much on future visits!

Offline dancer

• Account Closed
  • Account Retired
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2007, 05:48:03 PM »
I think the quality inn and comfort Inn are side by side and owned by the same people.  Comfort Inn has a pool and whirlpool,  and definitely have a hot breakfast.  They have one of those flip over waffle machines and there is an employee there to make sure people do it right and keep refilling batter cups.

Offline downtownchicago

• Banned
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2007, 06:06:27 PM »
Comfort Inn has breakfast.

A free deluxe continental breakfast, including waffles, is served every morning and fresh baked cookies each night.

And the hotels share the pools and whirlpool.

Offline lovingmy929

• We are all waiting with love
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2007, 08:50:24 PM »
I do apologize; the hospitality house is in Chester, two to three minutes away from Menard.

Offline momm316

• FOM Editor
  • The King is Coming!
    • Fishers of Men Prison Ministries
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2007, 10:10:58 PM »
Loving929:  When my son was at Menard, we used to stay at the Hospitality House.  Isn't Mary Kay a blessing?  We used to take her a big package of toilet paper or paper towels, etc. when we'd go down in addition to the money for the room.  It's been three years since I've seen her.  I still send her and her fiance the Fishers of Men Newsletter.  She had just had a new grandbaby the last time I saw her...Wow, the baby is three years old.  Thanks for bringing back that memory... I guess I had better call her.
Because of Him, I am!

Offline dancer

• Account Closed
  • Account Retired
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2007, 12:14:08 AM »
I wish the hotel maid in south bend had not thrown out all my IL lodging info.  There are coupon books available every three months in some of those rest stops.  I will look for them next week.  I didn't see any for hotels near Dixon, but for many other areas.  Be bold and ask them about coupons, specials, etc. 

Offline Amesballz

« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2007, 12:11:37 AM »
I just stayed at the Vienna Hospitality House this weekend and it was wonderful! It is 8 miles from Vienna and Shawnee, and 30 miles from Tamms. Its only $10 a night and its clean and very homey. I met some wonderful people there and would go back in a heartbeat.

They ask that you bring your own towels, pillowcases, and sheets and that you pass the word along to others in need of a place to stay. It is open from Thursday night until Sunday morning every weekend, and reservations are needed to stay there.

If anyone has any questions or needs the phone number, let me know!

Offline Lissa

« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2007, 12:44:06 AM »
I DO APOLOGIZE, THE HOSPITALITY HOUSE IS† IN CHESTER, TWO TO THREE MINUTES AWAY FROM MENARD.

Speaking of Menard's when I go to visits I stay at the Super 8 in Perryville Missouri. My rate is usually around $60.00 but I also have things like Trip Rewards and Choice International so go online and find the best deals. The Super 8 also has a continential breakfast and a pool. The hotel is around 20 minutes to the prison.

Offline gloriab

• Gloria
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2007, 08:41:17 AM »
Hi Everyone,
I was at Canton last weekend for the 1st time.(Illinois River CC)  Not many choices but THE HERITAGE was the better of them I always ask for a CORPORATE RATE. Usually knocks about $15.00 off. In he 2 years I've been visiting no one has ever asked me for any kin of verification when I ask for corp. rate. But if they did I would simply give them my place of employment. Last year I stayed at the Fairfield Inn in Danville...$39.00 by using the family an friend link on the Marriot site. I do know someone who knows someone that works for Marriot. You can stay at any of their properties and they are nice.  Good Luck!
Gloria