• May 27, 2018, 10:32:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to ILLINOIS PRISON TALK, www.illinoisprisontalk.org - A Family Support Forum and Information Center for those interacting with the Illinois Department of Corrections. IPT members are comprised of family/friends of inmates, prison reform activists, ex-offenders, prisoner rights advocates and others interested in the well-being of Illinois prisoners. We encourage open discussion but please be tolerant of other's opinions. This website is protected by Copyright © 2006-2017. All rights reserved. There are some private forums that require registration, please register.

Author Topic: Transportation Company COMPLAINTS - WARNINGS to READERS  (Read 22811 times)

Offline mstg0313

• That Guy's Wife
Transportation Company COMPLAINTS - WARNINGS to READERS
« on: May 10, 2007, 07:11:30 PM »
Hello everyone, I was hoping that maybe someone could give me some info that might help me.

On Sunday, I was a passanger on the K & C Van Service going to Western IL Corrections. Upon arriving there, there was a vehicle search of the owner's van in which a smoked cigar blunt was found in the driver's ashtray. It was tested and found to be marijuana.

All the girls on the van were told that all visits would be terminated for the day but because it was not our van and because we were just paid passengers, we were told that we would not have a problem visiting in the future. The owner of the van repeatedly told the officers that we were not responsible for what was found and that he takes full ownership of it.

However, when trying to visit again on Wednesday, myself and the other girls were told that we were on permanant restriction from visiting because of the incident that happened with K & C Van Service.

We have talked to the Warden and even people in Springfield who all say the same thing, NO VISIT. This is totally unfair. I was just paying passenger on the van and had no prior knowledge of anything that was on there.

I am wondering if anyone knows of any State Rep that I can contact or how I can possibly get in touch with the Governor's office. I will take this to the highest possible power. Any information that you have will be helpful.

Lastly, please spread the word to NOT ride with the K & C Van Service. Kim and her husband are not apologetic about the situation at all. Kim told me that it was her husband who was smoking the marijuana prior to our boarding but there is nothing they can do about what happened.

We are left with no visits and they will continue to make money by still doing the service because there is no consequence for them. I DO NOT want the same thing to happen to any of you. PLEASE TAKE HEED TO WHAT I AM SAYING....DO NOT RIDE WITH K & C VAN SERVICE WHICH IS OWNED BY KIM AND MIKE JONES. YOU HAVE BEEN FORWARNED.
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything...

Offline TinkerBella

Transportation Company Complaints - Warnings to Readers
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2007, 09:16:31 PM »
That is the most aggravating s*** that I can even begin to imagine! i am sorry, but I mus t voice an opinion here. I roe with K & C for a couple years , and the ride was ALWAYS horrible, never got on time, never had a pleaseant ride. This company is soooo Ghetto and has absolutely No customer service!

Dancer I can answer that question for you! The driver was Mike, who is Kim's husband and he Is the owner not a employee. and the fact that the girls had to argue for a refund and try to be persuaded to ride at a later date , shows that there is no Customer service.

I feel so sorry for the girls who had their visits revoked because of this companies unprofessionlism! i do know that the internal affairs at Western is very reasonable and the Deputy Director over Western is Ron Meeks and his secretary is Pattti and they are very helpful. So if anyone needs their info. PM me.

As far as K & C , I was advised by an owner that they do not have the required insurance to cover commercial passengers, and that is also unsafe. I think this company should be reported to the Better Business bureau, I'm sure they don't even have a business license. I'm sorry to be so blunt.

But it is unfortunate that our men are so far away and we have to rely on unprofessional, ill mannered , obviously drug addicted people to get us to and from our loved ones. Not only are they far and the drive is long, but with this company it's not safe either.

I have some knowledge of Western, if anyone needs help with restoring their visits, I will do my best to assist.  Keep focus and determined and you can get em back.

Again Sorry if I offended anyone.
Imagine the impossible? Demand the Impressionable! The Resolution is in-destructable ! WE ARE INEVITABLE!!!

Offline MIWESO

Transportation Company Complaints - Warnings to Readers
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2007, 04:02:14 PM »
I was finally able to visit my fiance at Lawrence the other day and I just wanted to share my experience with every one. I took a bus out there. I will not name the bus service because my experience was one I wish on no one! But for the most part it was not the fault of the bus service I guess.

Lets see my day started at 5:00am I showered and went to the location were I was told the bus service would be. I get there extra early because I didn't want to miss out on the ride. It was suppose to be there at 7:00am but it doesn't arrive till almost 8:00am Iam tired, sleepy and I have to pee! But I wait patiently because I don't want to miss out...
Finally when the van arrives I was so happy because maybe I had to pee but I would hold it as long as I had to just to see my man...
..Well guess what! It sat there for another hour until the driver finally put that van in drive. OK so Iam thinking WOW we are finally going I can hold it!( my pee that is)
 At 9:00am it drives but not to Lawrence! No it drives to another location were we pick up a few more riders waits another 30 minutes, (still haven't peed yet)
 But finally we switch vans and get on anther van that is taking us to Lawrenceville. The driver a very sweet lady collects all our money thanks us all for using her service and puts it on drive...(9:45am still no potty!)  But finally the lady mentions she is pulling over at a McDonald's so that we can use the rest room and get a bite. (GREATEST PISS STOP EVER!)
 I was never so happy to pee in my life.  Well 20 minutes go by we are all waiting for the driver to come back from were ever it is she went to ..(maybe getting gas  who knows)
 All I know is that it took another 20 minutes for her to come back for us. GREAT! (NOT)
Finally we are on the road again wait..wait.. wait!!!! not that quickly ! One more stop for NewPorts, driver gotta get her smokes! But what about us none of us on the van are smokers??? who cares we already paid can't turn back now! but dang could have had some consideration,could have asked us if we mined.
  It doesn't matter she is a very nice lady and she is driving us all there . I can handle a little smoke in my hair.
 Radio is blasting music is great! a little loud for the kids but perfect for me I love MaryJ she can sing a great tune. so we are finally on track again.....1 1/2 hours later guess what? another piss stop... we all are happy to stretch our legs and grab a snack. but guess what? Once again we have to wait for the driver to open up the doors to the van. it's hot as heck and we are all kinda aggravated at this point. every one is asking were is she? one lady states ...Wish I knew how to drive I would leave her behind... we all laugh and agree. Finally what feels like for ever she comes out of the Minnie mart we get back in the van and go.
 It's almost 2pm we arrive at Lawrence. I was just so happy that I got there every thing else just didn't matte any more. We walk in, the nice driver walks in with us lets the guard know who we are and tells us have a good visit. We all sign in but then we have to wait to be called. 2 hours later they finally call us in to visit.  we wait another hour in the visiting room every one has a visit but not us. Not those who came on that bus we have to wait. Well it's 5:15pm now finally our husband,son,brother and finance get there visit.
 We sit there all of us hurt mad tired and hungry but happy to finally visit. No food left in the vending machines so we all waisted time putting money on those cards for nothing!
All we get to buy is chips and pop. but we get to fill our hearts with the eyes of our loved one.
 45minutes later we are all very tired, still very hungry but very happy to see our loved one. aas for me  well I just wanted to jump on him right there on that table! I miss him so much All that mattered was seeing him smile. we are all enjoying our visit WAIT...WAIT...WAIT IT GETS BETTER!
 It's only been 45 minutes and guess what!!!! The van service is at the front desk calling us telling them to tell us to come out we have to go! I was like what the F#%@???? we just got here! are visits are 4 hours! I paid for 4 hrs...It didn't matter she was out there telling those guards that it's time to go so we all must get moving out the door!
Iam a big sissy I wanted to just cry and scream but held fast on those tears. Got up and walked out holding on to my heart cause who knows when I will see him again. It's too much to go through for just 45 minutes. I rather not even bother. Every one is upset but we all get back on the bus sadly but faithfully.
One lady tells the driver u know we only got a 45 minute visit! The driver states "shoot u all are lucky u even got a visit I have seen people get turned away as soon as they walk in" All I could think well that was kind of hard to say to us after all she could have waited! but I get on that bus and pray to hurry home. We drive in pure darkness roads are all dark. lights beeming from the other cars. Radio is blasting all the way back. now the music is giving me a head ache...  It's 11:00pm we finally arrive back in Chicago. I thank the lady for the ride but reality is I WILL NEVER TAKE THAT VAN SERVICE AGAIN! We drove for a total of almost 9 hours to visit just for 45minutes. I paid only $65 not much but those families that paid for them self and there kids wow did they over spend.
I pray no one ever has to go through what we went through. I pray those who take other bus services may your trip and your visit be as peacefully as a summer day! God bless you! My heart goes out to those that had to ride on that van with me. My back is killing me from that long ride and my heart hurts for the touch of my man! I wish I had never went, I wish it didn't have to be such a bad experience. I was looking forward to going out there at least twice a month but I guess not!
 IF ANY ONE LIVES IN CHICAGO AND WOULD LIKE TO CAR POOL I HAVE A GOOD CAR AND AM WILLING TO SPLIT THE COST. MAYBE WE CAN RENT A HOTEL ROOM AND MAKE IT WORTH THE DRIVE. I PLAN ON DRIVING MY SELF NEXT MONTH.
 :-[
when does this end😣

Offline dancer

• Account Closed
  • Account Retired
Re: Transportation Company Complaints - Warnings to Readers
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2007, 12:01:18 AM »
That is totally unacceptable Miweso.  You need to  give the name of the van service.  If they say they are going to leave at a certain time,  they need to leave then.  There is no reason to have more than one stop. She should not be smoking in the van or blaring her music.   You should be lucky?  No,   9 hours in the van for a  45 minute visit is not lucky.  If they are delaying the trip by that long that you can't have the  4 hours  then they don't have time to pick people up. 
I feel bad for all of you who don't have your own cars.   

Offline rsandelli

• Account Closed
  • Account Retired
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2007, 07:15:39 PM »
Well that REALLY sucks.  At Lawrence you do get 4 hours, but visiting ends at 6 on weekdays and 7 on Sat and Sun.  So, if that van service had any curteousy at all they would have been sure to get you there by 12 so that even if it did take awhile to get in, you would still have been sure to get your entire time.  I hate when people take advantage of prison families.

Offline WAID

• What Am I Doing?
  • That's me, I'm a TOIL GIRL!!
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2007, 07:54:14 PM »
I'm in the sw Chicago burbs & my guy is in Lawrence. I have a gas guzzler & limited funds, so us arranging trip or even an an overnighter is possible, but what happens if we get there & 1 of us can't see our inmate for whatever reason?
Diamonds ARE a girls best friend.

Offline dancer

• Account Closed
  • Account Retired
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2007, 09:19:27 PM »
WAID I think you have to decide what you want for gas,  get cash at the beginning,  meet at a convenient place and let people know you won't wait for them.  You leave at a certain time you decide on.  Let them know there will be no contraband in the vehicle,  from anyone!!  Threaten them to turn them in or something,  just make sure all know you mean business if these are strangers.  Hey if you stay overnight you can share rooms if you wish!  Or bring a tent and air mattress and stay at the sumner camp grounds for $7 a night.  It might be higher now.  If someone can't visit,  I think that's their problem to leave the prison grounds and entertain themselves for  4 hours.  I sure wouldn't  give someone a ride and then turn around and go home because SHE screwed up.   if these are people who haven't  visited there,  tell them what current ID's are required and tell them to dress like they are going to church.  Lawrence is very fussy.  Go over all this in advance!  If you are counting on that money to pay for gas,  you might have them send you a MO for part of it in advance so they just don't change their mind at the last minute and not tell you.   If it is suddenly on lockdown after you leave,  that isn't your fault.  they still pay.  I think you have to be really firm with most people. 

Offline WAID

• What Am I Doing?
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2007, 10:12:44 PM »
Thanks for the info, it's my first visit & worried what to expect as it is, so no way I'd share a hotel room & would have a nervous breakdown if I had to tent it! Motel 8 is close enough to camping for me! lol
Just wondered if I drove & whoever was with me got turned down, how would they leave the prison grounds without a vehicle cause I wouldn't want to leave drop em off & start the process all over again if it's a long wait. OR if I got denied & had to leave when would I know to go back & pick them up if their visit is shorter than 4 hours (assuming you can't bring cell phones in to call for a taxi or me, unless you just can leave them in your car)
You just never know, besides the stranger thing, even if I went with his family & that happened I wonder?

Offline Still love my son

• ONE DAY AT A TIME.........
  • David Cook Rocked in St Louis 7/18/08!!!
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2007, 10:47:11 PM »

I took someone to visit once and they couldn't get in--
I don't even drive that far
I felt it was their problem that they couldn't get in
I left the prison and took them somewhere to wait for us and went ahead with my visit-I was not going to give our rider my car-and they are NOT allowed to stay on prison grounds if they can't get in.
The desk let me leave and come right back, since we had not yet started our visit-
I felt a little bit bad, but made it clear to the person that was with me, that I was not going to give up my visit, because they couldn't get in-
May sound cruel to some, but I learn as I get older that I have to take care of me and not be a caretaker of other peoples issues when it is totally out of my control. WE had also dealt with a car search the same day-
My two cents!!
HUGS to ALL

Offline dancer

• Account Closed
  • Account Retired
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2007, 11:06:13 PM »
You don't bring cell phones in.  they have to stay in the car.  Maybe the driver let's the others go first,  if they can't get in,  drops them off in town at a library or something.   I totally agree slms.   People can call the prison and find out what ID is needed.  If they have a criminal record they can check that out,  not keep silent and then ruin someone else's visit who is nice enough to let them share a ride. 

Offline dancer

• Account Closed
  • Account Retired
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2007, 09:34:52 AM »
We have removed the van service that Miweso took from this board.  Thank you Miweso.  As far as we know,  there have not been any major problems with the services listed on IPT.  If there are or have been,  please speak up!

Offline sitinonplatnium

• i'm his greatest inspiration
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2007, 05:59:12 PM »
I BET THAT VAN SERVICE WAS K&C  AND THEY ARE THE WORSE.  LET ME BE THE FIRST TO SAY IT/   THE OWNERS DONT CARE ABOUT ANYONE JUST MONEY.  I HAD HORRIBLE EXPERIENCES ON THEIR VAN AND I AM SO THANKFUL I DONT HAVE TO USE THEM ANYMORE.

Offline dancer

• Account Closed
  • Account Retired
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2007, 06:35:49 PM »
BTW WAID look for members going to Robinson also.   They are only  30 miles away from each other. 

Offline TinkerBella

« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2007, 09:33:16 AM »
Dancer,
There have been many problems with a van service listed on IPT, however I know IPT does NOT indorse any services, this is strictly word of mouth ans personal information to be shared.

However, there was a service (K & C) that had the visits of a few members revoked because the driver had a blunt  w/marijuana in the ashtray. I think that is a serious enough problem!  Don't you think?

I know what your goinf through MIWESO, i took that horrible van service time and time again for the 3 years that my husband was at Western, i know exactly what you went through. Car pooling is the best way to go. I actually met a great person doing that. Good luck!
Kim
Imagine the impossible? Demand the Impressionable! The Resolution is in-destructable ! WE ARE INEVITABLE!!!

Offline MIWESO

« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2007, 10:41:00 PM »
Yes the bus I took was K&C and had the ride from HELL
I didn't want to be wrong by posting there neame bad on here but wait I have to cause I don't want any one else to go throught what I went through!!!!
when does this end😣

Offline sitinonplatnium

• i'm his greatest inspiration
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2007, 10:46:03 PM »
I agree totally.  they are the worse.

Offline dancer

• Account Closed
  • Account Retired
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2007, 10:50:47 PM »
This is why I asked Miweso privately for the name of the company.  I removed all references to them from the transportation board.  If anyone lists their phone number,  we will remove it. 

Offline Amarie

• Kindness in words creates confidence
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2007, 12:34:52 PM »
mstg0313,

Did your visits get reinstated? I go to Western between 2-4 times a month. I have a huge SUV so I go to Enterprise and rent me a small compact car (weekends special half off 14.99 per day) so it may cost me between 35-45 dollars depending on when I pick it up and when I drop it off and I pay like $40 to fill up and. If I went in my truck (which is a lease) I would have all those miles to pay for and pay between $80-90 for a fill up.
"Concern yourself not with what you tried and failed in, but with what is still possible for you to do."

Offline WAID

• What Am I Doing?
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2007, 01:32:09 PM »
Just a personal follow up I couldn't resist cause I'm geting excited!
I've met someone from here a couple times to get to know a little & we're going on our 1st carpool roadtrip together next weekend! It's a blessing for us both financially to save half the gas money on a 4 hour trip & a kinship for support. We're both so excited as it gets closer & I'm gonna treat her to the movies to add to our little adventure. lol
Keep us in your prayers we get there safe & have a good visit. I'll let you know how it went after.
Peace!

Offline Amarie

• Kindness in words creates confidence
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2007, 03:00:47 PM »
WAID,

I am happy you got to meet and know this person before going on that journey. I have refused from the beginning to ride the bus for one it costs about the same to rent a compact car and put gas in it. Two, I don't like drama or issues and that Van that comes to Western is full of that. I am there to see my Man nothing more. When I first started going I would drive by myself and come home exhausted and tired. Then the last time I rode by myself I was falling asleep while driving!!!! I told my Guy I couldn't do it anymore by myself so he "found" me someone to ride.

Now, after that I came a few more times by myself and I was always seeing this other woman that rode the Van there. She seemed pleasant enough so I talked to her about riding together.

So, again it is good you found someone good to ride with. We have to be careful.

"Concern yourself not with what you tried and failed in, but with what is still possible for you to do."

Sorry, this topic is locked. Only admins and moderators can reply.