Illinois Prison Talk
News:
Welcome to ILLINOIS PRISON TALK,  www.illinoisprisontalk.org -  A Family Support Forum and Information Center for those interacting with the Illinois Department of Corrections.  IPT members are comprised of family/friends of inmates, prison reform activists, ex-offenders, prisoner rights advocates and others interested in the well-being of Illinois prisoners. We encourage open discussion but please be tolerant of other's opinions.   This website is protected by Copyright © 2006-2014.  All rights reserved. There are some private forums that require registration, please register.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. November 21, 2014, 10:09:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: VANDALIA Correctional Center  (Read 62986 times)
wifey82

« Reply #40 on: July 18, 2009, 07:11:11 PM »

I went on our birthday and anniversary ( all three on the same day) The gps was good except for it telling me to u-turn. I didnt know there was a dress code so my sister in law had to go to walmart off the next exit to get a normal t shirt no tank tops. We went on a saturday and it wasnt so bad.  The three hours flew by. I definitely want to go back, the drive down sucks. 4 hours is a long time to be in the car. But it is well worth it! I can't believe how much he has changed since I seen him in Dupage.
JHelenB
Banned

« Reply #41 on: August 05, 2009, 06:07:40 PM »

It looks like my LO will be placed at Vandalia - thats what VINE told me. Anyone give me info about it? And what have been the recent time lengths to get phone and visitation lists approved? Also - we have a 13 month old daughter - can i bring her stroller so she can nap? Milk? Juice? Favorite blanket? Right now - I'm just anxious about any info I can learn. Thanks much!
Forevermah
Administrator

« Reply #42 on: August 06, 2009, 08:34:58 PM »

It looks like my LO will be placed at Vandalia - thats what VINE told me. Anyone give me info about it? And what have been the recent time lengths to get phone and visitation lists approved? Also - we have a 13 month old daughter - can i bring her stroller so she can nap? Milk? Juice? Favorite blanket? Right now - I'm just anxious about any info I can learn. Thanks much!

Most prisons only allow you to bring in a clean diaper, a bottle and wipes and maybe a blanket. No stroller or carriers are allowed.  You need to call the prison and ask what exactly you can bring in, some prisons make you change the diaper before you go in also.

Once the guys get to their parent prison, they have to go through orientation for 2 days and then fill out their visiting and phone lists, which can take up to two weeks to get approved. Once these are approved he will be able to call you. Please call his counselor if you have specific questions about things, they normally are very willing to answer you.

Do not value the "things" you have in your life - value "who" you have in your life....

“Instead of thinking about what you're missing, try thinking about what you have that everyone else is missing.”
JHelenB
Banned

« Reply #43 on: August 06, 2009, 08:46:42 PM »

Forevermah - THANK YOU!
I'm very hesitant to contact a counselor because 1: I don't know who it is and 2: the posts that I've read seem to indicate that contacting the prison only creates problems for our LO.

Can I keep things in a locker before going into the visiting area? Cell phone? I'm going to get dropped off and then picked up - any issues with this?

Forevermah
Administrator

« Reply #44 on: August 06, 2009, 09:10:00 PM »

Forevermah - THANK YOU!
I'm very hesitant to contact a counselor because 1: I don't know who it is and 2: the posts that I've read seem to indicate that contacting the prison only creates problems for our LO.

Can I keep things in a locker before going into the visiting area? Cell phone? I'm going to get dropped off and then picked up - any issues with this?

You are welcome!

I called my sons counselor and he never had any problems, but I only did it when he first got there, writing down all the questions I had and they were very nice and helped me very much.   If you overdo it and become a pest, then yes, it could cause problems.

Cell phones are not allowed in the prison at all. You will have to keep that in your car before you go in. Your keys, money for a vending machine card and money to put on the card is about the only you should bring in.  Also, I think if you go back to the first page of this topic, WAID has a detailed post about visiting and costs of lockers, etc.  Read this whole topic and you'll pick up little things from different posts.

Mah

Do not value the "things" you have in your life - value "who" you have in your life....

“Instead of thinking about what you're missing, try thinking about what you have that everyone else is missing.”
JHelenB
Banned

« Reply #45 on: August 19, 2009, 12:51:27 PM »

Does anyone know if Vandalia Work Camp visitation hours and location are the same as Vandalia Correctional Center? My LO has been moved to the work camp.
lovinghim09

« Reply #46 on: August 19, 2009, 03:09:50 PM »

YES VISIT ARE THE SAME EXCEPT WEEKENDS ITS DOWN AT THE WORKCAMP N WEEKDAYS ITS AT UP AT THE REGULAR PRISON ON THE HILL

jgraff49

« Reply #47 on: August 24, 2009, 09:11:05 PM »

Just got a call from my son.  He said that the Hill (main campus) is closing down.  Most of the dorms are empty - just A, B, K (drug dorm) and maybe one more are housing inmates.  Supposedly there are no movements out of the hill and what's being said is nothing is going on.  It's anyone's guess as to what the real story is. Mostly just a lot of rumors.  My son was moved to the work camp three weeks ago.  He said no one is coming into there anymore. He just received approval for work release but was told that he could leave anytime between last week and up to six months.
JG
Hugzzz

« Reply #48 on: February 13, 2010, 03:25:04 PM »

Hi,

Is Vandalia on Lock Down?
Hmays89

« Reply #49 on: March 04, 2010, 10:54:58 PM »

I heard that they are closing Vandalia down and right now they only have 2 dorms open and they are being used to hold inmates like stateville, for reception because all the other joints are too over crowded and they have no where to hold people, especially since they put all good time on freeze. Is this true? My LO was transfered from Stateville to Vandalia TODAY and i am wondering if i should send him money or wait it its just holding because i dont want to send it and then he gets moved and it takes 2 weeks to follow him. ALSO, i heard that they have changed that rules and inmates are not allowed to make any phone calls from their parent institution for 30 days. IS THIS TRUE!?!? I know they have to wait until their phone list is approved, but did it change to 30 days? I really need to figure out whats going on. Someone please help me!

LStoney

« Reply #50 on: March 07, 2010, 01:07:14 AM »

I dont know about all thes rumors indicating that vandalia is closing down.  My man was there last year from 1-2009 til 7-2009.  It is a great place to be if you can imagine that.  It is minimum security and they get gym as much as 2 hours a day.  When he arrived there he called me within 2 days.  I am not sure if that is standard but I was thrilled.  Hang in there, set up your phone service because no matter where he goes it will work.  I would send like twenty dollors, that will get him through until you speak to him.  Good Luck!  And visits last like 4 to 5 hours which is great!  You can hug him and hold his hand.  It helps him to go see him.
Heart

« Reply #51 on: April 07, 2010, 12:11:41 PM »

Are you allowed to bring toys for the children? Is this prision better then Jacksonville??

He is the person who holds my heart
LStoney

« Reply #52 on: April 07, 2010, 02:54:45 PM »

not sure about the toys, never brought kids there, but there are toys there.  I have never been to Jacksonville.
Forevermah
Administrator

« Reply #53 on: April 07, 2010, 03:09:58 PM »

Are you allowed to bring toys for the children? Is this prision better then Jacksonville??

Toys normally are not allowed in, most prisons have some in visiting rooms if you are lucky!   

Heart

« Reply #54 on: April 22, 2010, 11:05:39 AM »

Has anyone love ever got work release from Vandalia? Is there a specfic requirement? About how long after you receive the parole papers do you know that your home is approved or not?

MariaL

« Reply #55 on: April 28, 2010, 02:25:54 PM »

how far is this jail from chicago?

Love is not finding the perfect person but seeing an imperfect person perfectly
Heart

« Reply #56 on: May 04, 2010, 10:42:00 AM »

The ride from Chicago was about three hours.

mmarthapena1

U have 2 go thru da pain, 2 experience da pleasure

« Reply #57 on: June 01, 2010, 06:10:47 PM »

My lo should be transferring to Vandalia most likely in the morning. I was looking for some information on this place. WAID had a great detailed description of it on this email chain back in November of 2007. I'm just wondering if things are the same or if some things have changed. If there is someone that has a lo there, I would appreciate any type of feedback. Is it still as kid friendly as it was when WAID described it with all the toys and fun stuff to keep the kids occupied? Or has it changed? Are the visitors restrooms still located in the visiting area? Any info would be great! Thanks in advance...

Heart

« Reply #58 on: June 02, 2010, 09:32:34 AM »

Yes all the information that Waid posted is still true. Everything is the same. I will be going to see my lo this Saturday. I am so excited. wc6

mmarthapena1

U have 2 go thru da pain, 2 experience da pleasure

« Reply #59 on: June 02, 2010, 09:47:48 AM »

Thank you Heart for the update! I appreciate that...I hope you have a wonderul and exciting visit!!!

wc30

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: