• October 20, 2018, 06:26:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to ILLINOIS PRISON TALK, www.illinoisprisontalk.org - A Family Support Forum and Information Center for those interacting with the Illinois Department of Corrections. IPT members are comprised of family/friends of inmates, prison reform activists, ex-offenders, prisoner rights advocates and others interested in the well-being of Illinois prisoners. We encourage open discussion but please be tolerant of other's opinions. This website is protected by Copyright © 2006-2018. All rights reserved. There are some private forums that require registration, please register.

Author Topic: Spotlight Reentry Centers - Illinois  (Read 11225 times)

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
Spotlight Reentry Centers - Illinois
« on: June 14, 2007, 09:33:36 AM »
Attahced is a list of the SPOTLIGHT REENTRY CENTERS in Illinois.  These centers run the Community Connections Program which helps parolees link to valuable long-term community resources.
Do not value the "things" you have in your life - value "who" you have in your life....

“Instead of thinking about what you're missing, try thinking about what you have that everyone else is missing.”

Offline 1stTimes77

Re: Spotlight Reentry Centers - Illinois
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2009, 09:01:36 PM »
Forevermah: Do you have a listing for the 8th Spotlight Reentry Center??? Thats where "S" did all his stuff! Go figure its the one that isn't listed  :wc96: :wc96: :wc96:
HOPE IS WHAT KEEPS US GOING........BUT LOVE IS WHAT KEEPS US ALIVE

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2009, 09:48:03 PM »
No, sorry I don't, but why don't you call one of the others and see if they can give you any information.
Do not value the "things" you have in your life - value "who" you have in your life....

“Instead of thinking about what you're missing, try thinking about what you have that everyone else is missing.”

Offline 1stTimes77

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2009, 12:07:40 PM »
I did! Thank you!

You guys are really the best  :wc30:
HOPE IS WHAT KEEPS US GOING........BUT LOVE IS WHAT KEEPS US ALIVE

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2009, 12:24:59 PM »
That's good 1timers... why don't you post the info address phone# of that #8 here and I will put it above with the rest of them.

Thank you too!!

Mah

Offline FelonsWife

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2009, 07:51:59 PM »
Does anyone know the specific community resources or at least the type of community resources that are available through this source?

Offline chi_rebelizer

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2009, 11:27:17 PM »
no offense....but the best thing a parolee can do is to go to school! Get a trade asap! Follow that up with a b.a.!.....and live in a shelter if need be, if you can live in a prison a shelter should be a piece of cake....Parolees need to be extra focused while on parole, treat parole like its prison and just focus on school! If parole is 3 years, that's enough time to get a trade or two, by the time they are off parole they can get their certifications for their trade(s) and be in a better position to be gainfully employed or self-employed...

Offline jlnjy

• The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2009, 11:34:50 PM »
chi_rebelizer

I noticed you've posted this thought in more than one thread. I do agree with you, however the question is how does one pay for it? Not all offenders can get financial aid for college so therefore they have to get a job or a job with benefits that would pay for college or a trade - getting the job in the first place being a felon is hard - resources are slim - it shouldn't stop someone from trying, however the odds are stacked against an offender.

College is not for everyone - not everyone is college material, so what may seem like an easy solution for one may not fit for someone else.

Do you have a personal story to attribute to a felon or other offender that was able to get a trade or bachelors degree? Please share.

Offline chi_rebelizer

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2009, 12:48:30 PM »
Listen...its hard for a grown man coming out of prison to live off anything under $10 hour.....The frustration that leads to desperation is best handled while in school, especially while on parole, because being in school environment is so positive and there are so many possibilities that it will serve to counter the frustration. Another point is the networking, schools allow parolees to network with people beyond the streets and the prison system. They can build relationships with faculty, future doctors, lawyers and so forth. Living in a shelter and going to school is a great comeback from the prison system.

Who pays for it? Most people that I've know from prison could get the Pell Grant. There's another program called W.I.A.(I think its the workforce investment act) they fund grants for trades. Mayor Daley's workforce development has a  host of programs. And there are the school loans, which is a good option also. If you are in default of a student loan all it takes is a year of on time payments to get out of default. Once your out of default you can get the loans..... There are alot of programs for school funding, at least for most of us.

Now if somebody comes out of prison with the attitude that "school isn't for everybody" then all I can say is "Good Luck" with that "choice"....The world is constantly changing, education, new skill training is what allows us to adapt to the changes. One of the biggest problems with institutional mindsets is the unwillingness to adapt, its a handout mentality. Felons have to learn how to be self-sufficient even if that means learning a new skill or starting a business.....