• November 13, 2018, 10:28:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to ILLINOIS PRISON TALK, www.illinoisprisontalk.org - A Family Support Forum and Information Center for those interacting with the Illinois Department of Corrections. IPT members are comprised of family/friends of inmates, prison reform activists, ex-offenders, prisoner rights advocates and others interested in the well-being of Illinois prisoners. We encourage open discussion but please be tolerant of other's opinions. This website is protected by Copyright © 2006-2018. All rights reserved. There are some private forums that require registration, please register.

Author Topic: Visitation for Boot Camp  (Read 45376 times)

Offline gettingby

Visitation for Boot Camp
« on: June 13, 2007, 07:06:34 PM »
Does anyone know why no visitors are allowed when someone is in R&C waiting for a bed to open up in bootcamp?
Don't repay kindness, pass it on.

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
Re: Visitation
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2007, 07:19:20 PM »
gettingby   I just answered this question here:

http://www.illinoisprisontalk.org/index.php/topic,17210.0.html
Do not value the "things" you have in your life - value "who" you have in your life....

“Instead of thinking about what you're missing, try thinking about what you have that everyone else is missing.”

Offline gettingby

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2007, 07:33:05 PM »
Bootcamp prince,

My son is finally in bootcamp!! So, I am entering a new phase on this journey, and of course have some questions.  When they are finally allowed calls after 30 days, is it only on weekends? Could they call anytime of the day or only during certain hours.
Visiting- I know if they sit out a day, they have to make it up at the end, so, if/when I visit, will they make him sit out for the day or are visiting hours after their work day?
Sunday services? Again, do they have to sit out that day to attend or is it part of their day.
I really want to visit my son, but I don't want it to add an extra day.

Offline BootCampPrince

• Boot Camp Prince
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2007, 08:10:42 PM »
Phone calls are suppose to be, after 30 days, on the weekends and Holidays.  I was there for 3 holidays and they did not let us make any phone calls on a holiday.  Phone calls are made from 1:30 - 9:30pm and its at the officers discretion when they are made.  Some officers are brutal about this.  They will give you 1 chance to make the call and if you dont get through your done for the weekend. You don't get any other chance to make a phone call.  Other officers are nicer and if you cant get through the first time they will let you get another chance either later that day or the next day. 

There were about 200 inmates and a total of 8 phones. So its a real tight schedule on the phones and sometimes you dont get a second chance.  It really all depends on the officer.  There are also some weekends in which they punish the entire BootCamp and take away EVERYONES phone privileges. 
Visits are on the weekends and holidays.  They are from 1:30 - 5:30pm in a 2-3 hour slot.  They do not take that away from the 120 days required to complete Boot Camp.

As far as Sunday services, when I was there, it was only offered every other weekend instead of every weekend as the Program suggests.  EVERYONE is taken to Sunday Service and it is held in the dining hall. You can either choose to sit down and listen to the service or you can stand up in the hallway for 90minutes and do nothing. And of course most people choose to sit down and listen instead of standing in the hallway for 90minutes. It is usually at 7:30 - 9:00pm after dinner. 

There were no Muslim or Jewish services provided at all.

The only times days are added to the 120 days is when you get in trouble or when you are sick, hurt and are unable to perform your duties for the day, or when you decide you can't handle it for the day and you say "I Quit" for the day. 

Offline gettingby

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2007, 08:16:35 PM »
Thanks,

I did receive my first letter from my son.  It was very short (half-page).  He said he can't write much now, but will be able to write in about 2 weeks.  Are they not allowed to write while in their "ghost period" 
So, if I don't get a call, I shouldn't get all panicky?

Offline BootCampPrince

• Boot Camp Prince
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2007, 08:26:27 PM »
They do not receive any pre-stamped envelopes until after about 10 days into the program.  It also takes about 1-2weeks for your money to be transfered over from your previous institution. Also when you are in Ghost status this is when the Officers like to mess with you the most.  And lots of officers wont allow you to send out any letters until you memorized all the rules and have everything in order.  The Boot Camp schedule is already very strict and you have very little time to write letters anyway.  They are suppose to give you a few hours for writing letters on the weekend but again if the Officers want to punish you they will just make you stand for hours straight and not move.  Everything is on the officers discretion and some are lot nicer than others.

And yes it is not common not to get a phone call for the weekend and its usually not the inmates fault.  So if you don't get a phone call you shouldn't worry too much and It would be a good assumption that the officers were being grumpy that day/weekend and didn't allow the call.

Offline gettingby

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2007, 08:40:48 PM »
Is it common to "quit" for the day? I know that it is very strict there.  What is the probability to complete bc in the 120 days, and since winter is coming up what type of work do the guys do there?
Also, since he will be living with me when he gets out, when can I expect a call from his parole officer and what should I expect? 

Offline BootCampPrince

• Boot Camp Prince
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2007, 09:00:22 PM »
No its not common to quit for the day.  Out of the 200 inmates you will see 1-2 people on the Quitter bench.

I came in with a group of 24 and only 8 of us graduated within 120days and 8 people either quit completely or were kicked out of the program and the other 8 had to do extra days for either quitting or getting in trouble.

But our group was the worst out of the 4 months I was there.  I would say on average 50% graduate in 120days. 

As long as you do what your told and don't give the officers any lip or hard time you will do fine.  Yes they make fun of you. Yes they pick on you.  They want to find your weakness. As long as you ignore all that and think about going home in 120 days its not hard at all.  The ones that do bad are the young Gang Bangers off the street who come in there with a cocky attitude.  If you come in with any type of attitude you wont survive.

The best jobs to get are the kitchen jobs. You work cooking the food for the inmates.  Its the best and easiest job to get.  All jobs are randomly given so It's hard to ask for a good job.  Another good job to have is a "Porter" in one of the local jails like Shawnee or Vienna and you either work in the Officers Commissary, selling them food and coffee, or working in the Administrative Office and clean the halls, washrooms, and do other janitorial type work.

Most people get the Work Crew jobs.  These are the toughest.  One work crew goes out along the highway and pick up bottles and trash from the side of the highway.  You walk for hours straight doing this without a break. This is probably one of the toughest work crews. You are not allowed to stop or talk to other inmates while working.  Another work crew goes out into the Shawnee woods and cut down trees and branches.  Another work crew would go to various areas nearby and do some landscaping such as mowing the grass or moving dirt, digging holes, etc.

Most work crews go to a different area each day doing various landscaping work.  Some of the things I did was chop down trees in the Shawnee Forest, mowed the grass in Vienna jail,  Cut down branches in various parks, picked up bulk junk in small cities.  Some work crews also go into Parole Offices and wash the cars of the Parole Officers.  There is also a Maintenance work grew that work all day and night on the Boot Camp doing various things such as mow the lawn, wash the officers cars, clean the grounds, cut inmates hair, and other various janitorial work on grounds.

I would assume this would be similar for the fall and you may see some crews raking up some leaves.  And also in the winter you will see a lot of snow shoveling and other landscaping that can be done in the winter such as chopping wood and trees.

Offline w8tn4hm

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2007, 09:07:01 PM »
gettingby,

So happy for you and your son! I know that you have been waiting a while for this to happen.  May this leg of his journey be a smooth one, and may you continue to be the very strong support system that you have been. Continue to be blessed and remember all that is good comes from God. Its hard on all of us with loved ones in this system, but in HIM, and with each other, we find the strength to continue.

Thanks for your support earlier...it is much appreciated!  I hope your phone call comes soon and that your first visit with him at bc is filled with laughter and cheer. ..)

W8tn4hm

Offline gettingby

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2007, 09:13:00 PM »
Thanks so much for the info, when I don't know what's going on, I get horrible images in my head, so thanks again for putting my mind at ease.  I feel more at ease, sounds like my son may make the 120 days, he is not involved in any gangs what so ever and is a pretty respectful kid.  I have also been encouraging him to maintain his endurance.  I'm sure as I hear from him, I'll have more questions.  He is at DuQuoin IIP. One more thing, since he will be living with me when he gets out, when can I expect a call from his parole officer and what should I expect.

Offline BootCampPrince

• Boot Camp Prince
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2007, 09:16:43 PM »
You should be getting a phone call/visit from his Parole Officer around the 60-90 days into the program. Its a simple 5 minute visit. He/She will just come there and get your permission for him to stay and let you know the basic rules. They will make sure there is a working phone there (because he will be placed on house arrest) and they will ask if there are any guns/weapons in the house. And thats pretty much it.

Offline gettingby

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2007, 09:33:39 PM »
OK, great. Thanks for all your info, where you at bootcamp during the holiday's? If so, do they do anything for Thanksgiving or Christmas?

Offline BootCampPrince

• Boot Camp Prince
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2007, 09:37:43 PM »
I was there from May 20 - September 20.   Memorial Day, 4th of July, and Labor Day.  We did nothing special on those days except we didn't have to "work"  but most inmates prefer to work since it makes there day by quicker.  I really doubt they do anything at all for Thanksgiving or Christmas.  This is a very very strict environment.

Offline gettingby

« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2007, 10:38:06 AM »
w8tn4hm,

Thank you for your kind words. I don't what I would without this site. I can't imagine what those poor family members with a loved one in the system who have not found this site are going through.  I am a firm believer that not only is knowledge power, but it is comfort.   The knowledge, comfort, and support I have received from this site is what gets me through these days.  I know it's not over 'till it's over, so I continue to pray for his health and endurance, along the way I have discovered that there are so many people who need my prayers as much as I need theirs. It's a beautiful thing to give it to God, and know that He hears our prayers.

Offline gettingby

« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2007, 10:39:41 AM »
bootcamp prince,

Thanks so much for your info, I forgot to ask, how are you doing?  _)(90-

Offline BootCampPrince

• Boot Camp Prince
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2007, 01:31:49 PM »
Im doing great now. First few months after Boot Camp were tough, being on house arrest and trying to secure a decent job.  But after a while I was able to find something good and now my Parole Officer sees Im not a trouble maker so he doesn't give me a hard time anymore and hardly ever visits. 

Offline gettingby

« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2007, 08:32:47 PM »
Bootcamp prince,

How long are you on parole after you leave bootcamp?

Offline BootCampPrince

• Boot Camp Prince
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2007, 08:35:08 PM »
Since everyone there has a non-violent crime under 8years in jail some people will have 1 year of parole and others will have 2 years of Parole.  Most people fell in the 2 year category.  I was one of those lucky ones.  But, from what I hear, if you do real well you can ask your Parole Officer to remove you from Parole completely after you do 1/2  to 2/3rds of your Parole. Its been a full year for me so next time my Parole Officer comes up I will bring it up.

Offline galstone34

• Waiting for daddy to come home!
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2008, 06:54:44 AM »
Question... visits... does my son have to put in for visit and be approved? I read it was a 2 to 3 hour slot, is that How long the visit is. Also I am coming a long way, can I visit both Saturday and sunday?

Offline JForce

« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2008, 01:38:49 PM »
Yes, your son has to request a visit and be approved.  He should do that as soon as possible if you want to visit the first weekend after 60 days.  Visits are from 2PM to 4PM on either Saturday or Sunday but not both (one visit per weekend).  2 people can visit but both must be related to the inmate.  If you can decide what weekends you can visit he can request them all at one time but they will be approved slowly.  It is up to him to let you know they are approved.

We live about 370 miles from Dixon Springs (according to Mapquest) and it took about 5 1/2 hours to get there with stopping for lunch.  You can not go on the grounds before 1:30.  If you get there early there is a church across the street that you can park at until 1:30.  They get pretty testy if you try to go on the grounds early because of shift change.

When you drive into Dixon Springs a CO will direct you where to park.  Stay in your car until they come and tell you to get out.  Then they will search your car and take info.  Then you go inside and sign in and if it is your first visit you must give your ID to the CO on duty so they can put you into the computer.  The first visit takes the longest.