• November 13, 2018, 10:30:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to ILLINOIS PRISON TALK, www.illinoisprisontalk.org - A Family Support Forum and Information Center for those interacting with the Illinois Department of Corrections. IPT members are comprised of family/friends of inmates, prison reform activists, ex-offenders, prisoner rights advocates and others interested in the well-being of Illinois prisoners. We encourage open discussion but please be tolerant of other's opinions. This website is protected by Copyright © 2006-2018. All rights reserved. There are some private forums that require registration, please register.

Author Topic: Dixon Springs Boot Camp  (Read 180037 times)

Offline ccan

Re: Dixon Springs Boot Camp
« Reply #340 on: April 02, 2016, 11:24:54 AM »
Has anyone ever received an exception to the visitation rules?  I saw someone mention that they heard of someone who did.
We live 13 hours away so it would be great to get two visits in one weekend.

Offline Kdm

« Reply #341 on: April 02, 2016, 03:43:54 PM »
Has anyone ever received an exception to the visitation rules?  I saw someone mention that they heard of someone who did.

They are quite strict on that, I never witnessed an exception to it.  That includes when family members were traveling out of state.  For most of the inmate population there, family is 7+ hours away, on average, due to it's distance from Chicago.

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #342 on: April 04, 2016, 08:04:29 AM »

Call and ask what their procedures are, that is the only way you will get the right information.  Good Luck and hope you have a good visit.
Do not value the "things" you have in your life - value "who" you have in your life....

“Instead of thinking about what you're missing, try thinking about what you have that everyone else is missing.”

Offline Mariz07

« Reply #343 on: May 01, 2016, 09:37:12 PM »
Hello I was wondering if someone can please help me out because my husband is in Dixon boot camp and his 30th day was the 28th of April which was Thursday and I guess he was supposed to call me Saturday and I didn't get any call and I'm really worried, he only has my phone number not anybody else's. I also have a securus account and I checked to see if I had any attempt calls and I didn't I appreciate any help thank you in advance!

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #344 on: May 02, 2016, 07:31:06 AM »
Hello I was wondering if someone can please help me out because my husband is in Dixon boot camp and his 30th day was the 28th of April which was Thursday and I guess he was supposed to call me Saturday and I didn't get any call and I'm really worried, he only has my phone number not anybody else's. I also have a securus account and I checked to see if I had any attempt calls and I didn't I appreciate any help thank you in advance!

Sorry you didn't get your call but you may hear from him this weekend. Someone else just asked about this in another topic and
they received their call the next Saturday, it doesn't mean anything is wrong, just that he couldn't get to the phones when he wanted too.  Hang in there, we know this isn't easy but you will hear from him, continue to write to him too and give him support!!
Do not value the "things" you have in your life - value "who" you have in your life....

“Instead of thinking about what you're missing, try thinking about what you have that everyone else is missing.”

Offline Kdm

« Reply #345 on: May 02, 2016, 08:46:00 AM »

Forevermah is absolutely correct on this.  You'll see this asked relatively frequently, actually.  There will be weeks when calls are on Sunday, not Saturday... there will be weeks where calls are at 8am and others will be 5pm.  There will be some weeks where no calls are allowed at all.  It's also not uncommon for someone to not receive their phone card until the following week. Meaning, even if they're eligible, they may not be able to receive a phone call that week.  You'll hear from him soon, just keep writing.

Offline Mariz07

« Reply #346 on: May 02, 2016, 10:25:06 AM »
Thank you so much for your help!

Offline Mariz07

« Reply #347 on: May 08, 2016, 02:06:16 PM »
So he just called me and I didn't get to answer the phone because I was in church and my phone was on silence does anybody know if let them call later or its just one time try?  :wc17:

Offline Kdm

« Reply #348 on: May 08, 2016, 05:16:26 PM »
So he just called me and I didn't get to answer the phone because I was in church and my phone was on silence does anybody know if let them call later or its just one time try?  :wc17:

They will not.  It's a single try, although sometimes you're able to sneak a second attempt immediately following, just not at a later point in the day.

Offline Mariz07

« Reply #349 on: May 28, 2016, 10:39:27 PM »
Hello! My husband has made it to his 60th day in boot camp!! I will go over there to visit him any advise on what I should bring with me or what I should do I'm taking my two babies with me one is 2 years old and the other 7 months

Offline Lbrand89

Dixon Springs Boot Camp
« Reply #350 on: August 31, 2016, 09:03:18 AM »
I was wondering if anyone would know why my boyfriend had told me that he was denied Bootcamp the other day, but now in the IDOC website it is saying that his location is Dixon Spring Bootcamp? Are the inmates not supposed to tell anyone that they did get approved until they are actually moved? I spoke to Springfield, and they said that it says on their end Dixon Springs as well. So I am very confused and just wondering if anyone knows if this is normally what happens?

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #351 on: August 31, 2016, 09:45:20 AM »
I was wondering if anyone would know why my boyfriend had told me that he was denied Bootcamp the other day, but now in the IDOC website it is saying that his location is Dixon Spring Bootcamp? Are the inmates not supposed to tell anyone that they did get approved until they are actually moved? I spoke to Springfield, and they said that it says on their end Dixon Springs as well. So I am very confused and just wondering if anyone knows if this is normally what happens?

Maybe something they told him he misunderstood .. Please read the topics here for sending mail to him and what you say in your emails as the wrong thing can get him into trouble.. Write him and let him know you know he is there and that you support him etc, be happy he got bootcamp and pray that he makes it all the way through.

Offline Lbrand89

« Reply #352 on: August 31, 2016, 09:56:43 AM »
Thanks so much for the info. Do you know if he is allowed to buy commissary when he is in Bootcamp? When he was told that he was going to do his full time, he had asked for a large amount of money to buy a tv exc. But since he is now in Bootcamp, what is a reasonable amount of money to send him?

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #353 on: August 31, 2016, 01:41:48 PM »
Thanks so much for the info. Do you know if he is allowed to buy commissary when he is in Bootcamp? When he was told that he was going to do his full time, he had asked for a large amount of money to buy a tv exc. But since he is now in Bootcamp, what is a reasonable amount of money to send him?

If you already sent him money, don't put anymore on his books, he can't spend a lot anyway and not until he has been there and through the first phase of BC which is 30-60 days.    He may need shoes for BC and those you can send in.  I would read this BC board here on IPT for much more information.

Offline Lbrand89

« Reply #354 on: August 31, 2016, 07:58:37 PM »
Am I able to just order a pair of running shoes from online and have them sent to him st Bootcamp? I don't want him to get into any trouble.

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #355 on: September 01, 2016, 09:48:28 AM »
Am I able to just order a pair of running shoes from online and have them sent to him st Bootcamp? I don't want him to get into any trouble.

They have to be a certain kind of shoes, all white I believe ..  do a search on this board, type in the search box "shoes" and see what comes up.  Make sure you know before you send anything.

Offline Kdm

« Reply #356 on: September 01, 2016, 06:24:34 PM »

I was originally told this while preparing for bootcamp.  This was not accurate at Dixon Springs and they will be rejected.  Shoes need to be purchased through their commissary there.

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #357 on: September 02, 2016, 06:27:53 AM »

I was originally told this while preparing for bootcamp.  This was not accurate at Dixon Springs and they will be rejected.  Shoes need to be purchased through their commissary there.

If that is the case, then I would suggest anyone wanting to know about the shoes to call the counselor and ASK before sending anything in. 

We have had many over the years send the shoes in, but things are always changing in IDOC too.

Offline Lbrand89

« Reply #358 on: September 03, 2016, 11:18:00 PM »
I spoke with one of the counselors today, and he said that shoes have to be purchased through commissary. There are two different brands, all white, that can be purchased. And they are a bit under $50.

Offline lilibethmaclean

« Reply #359 on: January 14, 2018, 02:54:32 PM »
Hi all, I'm new to the forum. My son just got transferred to Dixon Springs boot camp on Jan 10th. The posts in this group are so helpful and I thank everyone for their posts. I'm not sure if it's changed, but, I called the number for Dixon Springs to find out what I could send my son and was told that only letters are allowed, no books or magazines and that they would be too busy to read anyway. Does anyone have any other experience?