• November 14, 2018, 04:34:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to ILLINOIS PRISON TALK, www.illinoisprisontalk.org - A Family Support Forum and Information Center for those interacting with the Illinois Department of Corrections. IPT members are comprised of family/friends of inmates, prison reform activists, ex-offenders, prisoner rights advocates and others interested in the well-being of Illinois prisoners. We encourage open discussion but please be tolerant of other's opinions. This website is protected by Copyright 2006-2018. All rights reserved. There are some private forums that require registration, please register.

Author Topic: Dixon Springs Boot Camp  (Read 180156 times)

Offline destinswife

Re: Dixon Springs Boot Camp
« Reply #300 on: April 16, 2012, 09:56:02 PM »
LOL this is kinda off topic but my first visit to Shawnee I used the 6665 Route 146 East address in my GPS needless to say I got so far and it was telling me I was at my destination and I was like what the heck??? There wasn't anything around and I started to freak out a little being my first trip and all so I kept going and then I ended up there.

Offline lrojas66

« Reply #301 on: April 17, 2012, 09:56:19 AM »
Thank you so much and God bless,i leave tonight from rockford.Good luck to your son.And also thank you Angela its been a long road and i couldnt of done it without your support.

Offline Angela

• Mod Squad
« Reply #302 on: April 17, 2012, 10:44:08 PM »
Ahhh...You are so......Welcome, think nothing of it my dear. That's what the IPT Family is about!

So glad that IPT was able to help  give you comfort during your Journey. 

Praying for your Safe Travels and Best Wishes to you and your LO.   

God Bless. Angela    :wc71-1:

Offline gambrill74

« Reply #303 on: April 18, 2012, 05:07:54 PM »
Thank you so much and God bless,i leave tonight from rockford.Good luck to your son.And also thank you Angela its been a long road and i couldnt of done it without your support.

Yes, this board has been so helpful! Our journey is not over yet, been a few setbacks...but I just keep looking forward. I hope you have your son with you and on your way home by now!  :wc6

Offline lrojas66

« Reply #304 on: April 19, 2012, 10:48:43 PM »
We had a safe trip and my son is home :)He graduated with 6 other young men and one female it was very touching.And he did it in 120 days.He told me he never could of done it without all the letters he was getin and he worked in the kitchen the last three months and that also helped him and they stay in a seperate dorm with other workers and the new ghosts that would come in,said the cos kind of ease up on them alittle less because there always beating down on the new guys which are called ghosts for the first two weeks.But they dont let you get away with nothing my son was out in the forest picking up pine needles from the trees with another guy and they talked and the co made both of them dig there grave like a dog with there legs kicking the sand and had to fit them perfect to lay inside it and do an excercise called mountain climers.But other then that you just have to do what they want when they tell you its not all that bad.

Offline Angela

• Mod Squad
« Reply #305 on: April 20, 2012, 06:32:50 AM »
We had a safe trip and my son is home :)He graduated with 6 other young men and one female it was very touching.And he did it in 120 days.He told me he never could of done it without all the letters he was getin and he worked in the kitchen the last three months and that also helped him and they stay in a seperate dorm with other workers and the new ghosts that would come in,said the cos kind of ease up on them alittle less because there always beating down on the new guys which are called ghosts for the first two weeks.But they dont let you get away with nothing my son was out in the forest picking up pine needles from the trees with another guy and they talked and the co made both of them dig there grave like a dog with there legs kicking the sand and had to fit them perfect to lay inside it and do an excercise called mountain climers.But other then that you just have to do what they want when they tell you its not all that bad.

"Congrats" glad everyone made it home Safe and Sound. Yes, the Emotional & Physical part is difficult but well rewarding for the out come. Best Wishes to You and Your Family.

Keep in touch and God Bless Angela

Offline ConcernedMom

• Ticker
« Reply #306 on: July 17, 2012, 01:42:58 PM »
For anyone who has visited Dixon Springs lately.  Do they still not have vending machines in the visiting rooms?  Also, is it ok to send a greeting card? :wc13:

Offline Angela

• Mod Squad
« Reply #307 on: July 17, 2012, 06:09:32 PM »
For anyone who has visited Dixon Springs lately.  Do they still not have vending machines in the visiting rooms?  Also, is it OK to send a greeting card? :WC13:

I just got off the phone with the CO and stated the following:

NO Vending Machines at all! You can only bring in with you 2 Forms of ID, Proof of relationship to the Inmate and your Car keys.

As far as the Cards go you can not send anything with glitter, stickers, glue, provocative. Please keep in mind that they will punish the inmate (even in the middle of the night) if someone sends them something they feel is inappropriate or is not supporting the inmate.

Hope this helps ?  Good Luck.   :wc71-1:

Offline ConcernedMom

• Ticker
« Reply #308 on: July 18, 2012, 07:48:31 AM »
Thanks for checking on that Angela!   :wc38:

Offline ConcernedMom

• Ticker
« Reply #309 on: August 03, 2012, 11:30:38 PM »
YEA!  :wc7:  I finally received my first letter letter from my son since he got to boot camp on 7/11.  It was dated July 31 and I just received it today.  He said they wake at 5 a.m. on weekdays and 6 on weekends. They exercise for 15 minutes then run about a mile and a half.   He said the food is very good and they feed them a lot.  They did a lot of standing the first 2 weeks, but it's getting better now.   They have marching competitions and physical competitions, like the obstacle course and pull ups.  He said showers are quick, like only one minute.  He hasn't received any demerits yet.  He said that he could call Friday, Saturday or Sunday so be ready.  He said he has only received one write out so far because he has to use his commissary money on hygiene stuff.  He hasn't gotten a job yet, but might soon.  He has been taking drug and alcohol classes at 6 p.m. Monday-Friday where they read and talk about how drugs ruined your life.   They have college classes that you can take if you score high enough on the test.  He said he put a request in for sneakers but didn't know if the money on his books had been transferred yet.  It sounds like he is doing really well, I feel so much better now.  It was hard not hearing from him for so long.  Oh, he also said that at Graham, the cells where half as big as SV and they didn't have air conditioning.  Now he is in a dorm with about 80 guys and they have air conditioning and fans in there.  He said the days are going by really fast and it's not that bad.  He's just doing what he has to do and staying under the radar.

Ok, better get to sleep now  :wc40: I'm so tired and now I can sleep soundly and not worry as much, prayers for everyone!

Offline Angela

• Mod Squad
« Reply #310 on: August 04, 2012, 07:01:37 AM »
Happy for you concernedMom      that's   :wc6:  . That waiting for the first letter is hard, but so rewarding after you get it and know that they are OK. The same goes for that first phone call.

Best Wishes   :wc71-1:

Offline ConcernedMom

• Ticker
« Reply #311 on: August 23, 2012, 08:13:06 AM »
Just wanted to share some information that was enclosed in the last letter I received from my son who is at Dixon Springs.  This is information that is given to the inmate regarding visits, phone calls, trust fund and mail privileges.

1. The only people who can visit are immediate family!  EXAMPLE: Mother, Father, Step-Parent, sister, brother, children and Legally married spouse (wife or husband).  They must bring proof of relationship (birth certificates/marriage license).  If you have kids and plan on having someone else bring them for a visit other than the parent or legal guardian, a notarized permission slip giving approval for the visit from the Mother, Father or Legal Guardian must be provided upon entry the date of the visit. NOT: Girlfriend, fiance, friend, aunt, uncle, grandparents.

2. When filling out your visiting and phone list make sure to print neat.  Include full address which means: Street address, city, state and zip.

3. You are allowed visits after 60 days.  Visiting Hours: Arrive between 1:30 PM and 2:00 PM for a 2 hour visit on weekends and holidays.  It is YOUR RESPONSIBILITY to schedule a visit.  After you fill out your visiting request, turn it in 2 weeks in advance from date of visit for prior approval.  When you name is highlighted on the visiting board outside the counselors office it is approved.  It is then YOUR RESPONSIBLITY to notify your visitors they may come for the visit.

4. Be sure when filling out your visiting and phone list EVERY TIME you write your name to include your number as well.  If you do not know someones address and you receive it at a later date, you can fill out a new visiting list, but must include all previous names as well.

5. Anyone is allowed on your phone list.  You are allowed a collect phone call after 30 days into the program.  Phone calls are made on Saturday and Sunday only.  The person you are trying to call must have called CONSOLIDATED COMMUNICATIONS AT 1-800-235-4416 and stated that you are at the BOOT CAMP and do not have a pin # in order for your phone to go through when you make your phone calls.

6. Your new address here is as follows:

Your Name and Number
Vienna Correctional Center/Dixon Springs IIP
6695 State Route 146 East
Vienna, IL  62995
7.  You may have as many people as you want to attend your graduation - they do NOT have to be immediate family members.

8. PAROLE: The Parole agent will be calling your family/friend you request for parole site host to set up an appointment for a home visit to sign the paperwork in order for your parole site to be approved.   They must answer private/restricted calls to set up this appointment.

9. Trust Fund: Use the business office request slips provided in the dorm.

MAIL PRIVLEDGES
You may receive as many letters as you want, but it is your responsibility to be in possession of no more than 10 letters at one time.  You may either send the excess letters home or throw them away.  For example: You receive 1 letter, then the following week you receive a card for your birthday - That counts as 2 letters.

Offline ConcernedMom

• Ticker
« Reply #312 on: August 23, 2012, 08:16:25 AM »
He wrote on the top of the form to Bring ID's and both his and his sisters birth certificates.

Also, regarding phone calls, they are not only on Saturday and Sunday, he has called on Fridays and said that would be his usual call day.  And one weekend, they were having phone problems and only two phones were working so since they were getting caught up from the weekend, he called on Tuesday.  All of the calls so far have been in the evening between 7:30 and 8:30.

Hope this helps!

Offline ConcernedMom

• Ticker
« Reply #313 on: September 10, 2012, 08:13:53 AM »
Did anyone else who has a LO at Dixon Springs not get a call this weekend?

Offline Angela

• Mod Squad
« Reply #314 on: September 10, 2012, 10:08:26 AM »
Did anyone else who has a LO at Dixon Springs not get a call this weekend?

It is very common for them to loose their phones privileges, one person can loose it for the entire group! Hang in there it will all be OK.  :wc71-1:

Offline TimeStandsStill

• Mod Squad
« Reply #315 on: September 10, 2012, 10:21:17 AM »
There were power outages over the weekend from storms in Southern Illinois....that could also be a possibility of why you didn't get a call.

September 08, 2012 2:00 am  •  BY CODELL RODRIGUEZ, THE SOUTHERN

Thunderstorms rolled through the region Friday, knocking out power for thousands of Southern Illinoisans.

Outages appear to have begun about 7:15 p.m. As of about 10 p.m., Ameren was reporting 3,408 customers without power in Marion, 2,592 in Anna and 1,947 in Carbondale and 1,701 in Murphysboro.

Power was out for other customers throughout the region with other large outages including 948 in Eldorado and 850 in Jonesboro. At least one transformer was seen exploding outside The Southern Illinois offices on the corner of Willow Street and North Illinois Avenue.

Jackson and Williamson County sheriff’s offices did not report much damage other than some downed tree limbs in the roads. Murphysboro Police Department said they did not have any weather-related damages. One Murphysboro resident reported a tree had been blown down onto a family car.

Callers also reported heavy wind damage between Marion and Harrisburg.

According to the National Weather Service in Paducah, thunderstorms in Carbondale caused northwest winds reach 16 miles per hour just before 9 p.m. with gusts reaching 24 miles per hour. Southwest winds reached 21 miles per hour just before 8 p.m. in Marion with gusts reaching as high as 37 miles per hour. In Metropolis, gusts reached as high as 55 miles per hour.

Rosslind Rice, SIH spokesperson, said she had not heard any reports of hospitals losing power but said the facilities have backup generators should power go out

http://thesouthern.com/news/local/storms-leave-thousands-powerless/article_6774a3fa-f980-11e1-aae2-001a4bcf887a.html

Offline ConcernedMom

• Ticker
« Reply #316 on: September 10, 2012, 11:04:48 AM »
TimeStandsStill,

Thanks for the info.  that makes sense.  Hopefully he will call this week sometime.  We are scheduled to go down for our first visit this Saturday, September 15th.  I can't wait! :wc7:

Offline hesmyheart

• MY LOVEBUG
« Reply #317 on: September 15, 2012, 07:09:11 PM »
CONCMOM... HOW WAS THE VISIT???? I am waiting (possibly) for my first phone call right now           :wc125:            ...fingers crossed! Im a little scared for my fiance- he states that by all mean he wants to finish and be home for Christmas but he has already received some demerits. He has only been there a month- has only had his card for like three weeks and he has DEMERITS...I know they get a couple cards with 12 but Im a little stressed over it. Anywho hopefully he can call and I can give him some words of encouragement!

Hope you had a wonderful visit with your son... your less than half way which gives me hope and allows me to see just how fast the time goes- I remember when you posted that he was just transferred there and it seems like it was just the other day...

Offline ConcernedMom

• Ticker
« Reply #318 on: September 17, 2012, 12:59:19 PM »
Hi Hesmyheart,

:wc38: for checking in with me!

Well it was a whirlwind trip, 5 1/2 hours there and back for a 2 hour visit, but it was worth it!  We didn't get to the hotel till 10:45 Friday night and it was disgusting, so dirty and there are no other hotels close.  But anyway, we woke up early and did some site seeing.  We went to Garden of the Gods in the Shawnee Nat'l Forest, it was amazing!  There was a Shrimp Festival in a small town that's on the Ohio River close to where the Boot Camp is so we ate there.  My son seemed sad when I told him we did that since that is something that we would normally do as a family. 

He looked good, dressed in his best clothes which was his "Blues", dark blue pants, Light blue shirt and black work boots.  His hair is still real short.  The check in process was not a problem.  We got there a little early so we went to the Chocolate Factory across the street.  We could see them all standing at attention in the front.  He said they do that a lot.  The place is pretty run down.  There were only 3 other families visiting.  He seems in fairly good spirits but home sick.  I'm really starting to think his girlfriend told him about his friend who died and she told him not to tell me that she told him so now he has NO ONE to talk to about it and I feel like he's struggeling with it.  I asked him if there was anything he wanted to talk to us about that he couldn't on the phone or in letters and he said no.  I don't know what to do except ask his girlfriend again, but she swears she didn't tell him.

So it was good seeing him, but hard having to leave him down there.  I told him to try to schedule our next visit for the second week in October.  He said that one of the guys was able to get a visit two days in a row, so I told him to ask if we could do that too since we are so far away.  We shall see.

It's getting closer to our LOs being home.  I can't wait!  thanks for keeping in touch!  Don't worry about his demerits, he would have to have quite a few in order to get kicked out!  Keep writing and be positive.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline vampyervic

« Reply #319 on: October 10, 2012, 06:09:42 PM »
 :wc7:
What a beautiful picture it is to see my son in white with his head shaved!  He actually looks much healthier and better then the last pic form when he got to logan after 120 days in Stateville.  He looked sickly, he was pale and had dark circles under his eyes and a dull look on his face.  Now he has that spark back in his eyes and a look of determination on his face.  Can't wait till he is back home!!!!