• November 14, 2018, 04:17:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to ILLINOIS PRISON TALK, www.illinoisprisontalk.org - A Family Support Forum and Information Center for those interacting with the Illinois Department of Corrections. IPT members are comprised of family/friends of inmates, prison reform activists, ex-offenders, prisoner rights advocates and others interested in the well-being of Illinois prisoners. We encourage open discussion but please be tolerant of other's opinions. This website is protected by Copyright © 2006-2018. All rights reserved. There are some private forums that require registration, please register.

Author Topic: Dixon Springs Boot Camp  (Read 180151 times)

Offline jsbaby526

Re: Dixon Springs Boot Camp
« Reply #240 on: January 26, 2011, 05:20:53 PM »
SO confused. My L/O is currently in Stateville and was supposed to be waiting for a transferr to bootcamp so his release date and what not wasn't filled out...I got on today and it says his release date is 04/27/2012??? Does that mean he didn't make it to or take bootcamp or do they always just put in the release date as if they were going to serve prison time until they graduate? I'm kind of worrying now...=[

His out date has nothing to do right now with him going to boot camp.  This is the date he will get out if he does not complete boot camp, or for some reason does not make it into BC, so just relax and keep an eye on the website for when he is moved, which could take sometime yet.

Thanks I have no clue about any of this. Wooh that deffinately helps ease my mind. I got a letter from him today too that was a nice surprise! thanks again! :)
forever&&always...

Offline comehomemisha

« Reply #241 on: April 15, 2011, 09:05:28 AM »
Tomorrow will be the first day that my guy is able to make phone calls (from dixon springs).  Does anyone know if they are allowed more than one call?  In his letter he asked if he could still call me at home and that he can only call early on Saturday one call one try.  I know he has to call his mom as well so I was just wondering if I am getting my hopes up for nothing.  If you have any info Please let me know!  Thanks bunches....<3 amanda

Offline DitkaKenobi

« Reply #242 on: April 20, 2011, 11:43:30 AM »
Tomorrow will be the first day that my guy is able to make phone calls (from dixon springs).  Does anyone know if they are allowed more than one call?  In his letter he asked if he could still call me at home and that he can only call early on Saturday one call one try.  I know he has to call his mom as well so I was just wondering if I am getting my hopes up for nothing.  If you have any info Please let me know!  Thanks bunches....<3 amanda

Hi Amanda! I was at Dixon Springs last year. He only gets one phone call per week. And, yes, it IS one call, one try. If you don't get through to anyone they RARELY let you give it another chance. It's only a 10 minute phone call, and the first one goes crazy fast and will leave you wanting more. Just warning you. Part of you will be happy and part of you will be sad when it's over so quick. It depends on which CO's are working as to what time they make the call. There were some days where we made our calls between 8am and noon and others where they started calls at 5:30 in the morning. Why? I don't know. I think they get off on denying people their phone calls personally. Luckily, my family  and girlfriend always answered the phone. Basically, just be prepared to answer the phone between 5:30am to around 3pm. There was only one time that we made phone calls on Sunday when I was there, so, there's that possibility as well. I alternated my phone calls every other week between my parents and girlfriend, but, yes, the first phone call went to my mother because I know she was probably freaking out a lot more than my girlfriend and I wanted to let her know I was ok. So, I'd say, be ready for anything and keep in touch with his mother. If she gets the call, then you'll most likely get yours the next week! Honestly, letters did more for me when I was there than phone calls, since I could re-read them all the time. Write often! (I really liked getting sports news a lot!) Since he can only keep 10 letters at a time, I would suggest writing a really long letter over the course of 3 days or so, then send it. Hope that helps!

Offline comehomemisha

« Reply #243 on: April 20, 2011, 01:16:05 PM »
thanks so much..yeah i was writing him almost everyday but he said that they have to do physical labor to get their letters so i stopped writing so much!  it sucks and im glad you made it out of there. it sounds terrible. can they get magazines there? you said sports news does that mean i can send newspaper clippings? i just miss him and i haven't heard from him in almost 3 weeks. he said they only get 2 write outs a week and i know he has a lot of ppl to write. my last question....this being a holiday weekend will he be allowed to call saturday as well as sunday? just wondering! thank you again for your reply!!!

Offline DitkaKenobi

« Reply #244 on: April 20, 2011, 01:30:16 PM »
thanks so much..yeah i was writing him almost everyday but he said that they have to do physical labor to get their letters so i stopped writing so much!  it sucks and im glad you made it out of there. it sounds terrible. can they get magazines there? you said sports news does that mean i can send newspaper clippings? i just miss him and i haven't heard from him in almost 3 weeks. he said they only get 2 write outs a week and i know he has a lot of ppl to write. my last question....this being a holiday weekend will he be allowed to call saturday as well as sunday? just wondering! thank you again for your reply!!!

No, you can't have any magazines either and they won't let you have newspaper clippings. The easiest way to do the sports news is to highlight and copy it from an online news site like ESPN.com and then paste it to a word program and print it out. That's how my mom did it, lol! They never let us have an extra call on holiday weekends when I was there and I doubt that has changed. I know, it sucks! Just hang in there! He misses you just as much, trust me! Let me know if you have any more questions, I'll be happy to answer them for you!

Offline 338AP

« Reply #245 on: April 26, 2011, 02:31:56 PM »
Hi am new to this I have a question for any one out there that can answer this my fiance has been in boot camp for 21 days already and we haven't heard from him other than the first write out they get when they arrive at boot camp. Does any one know why this might be ? Am do worried that he got in trouble due to his anger problems and as I read ppl say how they get all up in your face or is it because he can't get commissary for the first 30 days
FOREVER .....FOREVER

Offline bmonska

« Reply #246 on: April 26, 2011, 03:07:15 PM »
Hi am new to this I have a question for any one out there that can answer this my fiance has been in boot camp for 21 days already and we haven't heard from him other than the first write out they get when they arrive at boot camp. Does any one know why this might be ? Am do worried that he got in trouble due to his anger problems and as I read ppl say how they get all up in your face or is it because he can't get commissary for the first 30 days
Boot Camp is very different than someone going to a prison facility. It's run very different and rules are different as well. Someone with an LO in BC will be able to answer you more specifically but try not to worry. They run them hard there and the majority of the time is accounted for as part of the program so just grabbing the phone to call or sitting down to write is not something as easily done as it is in a prison facility. Hang in there.

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #247 on: April 26, 2011, 03:33:52 PM »
Welcome to IPT.

They cannot make any phone calls for the first 30 days they are in BC, then they get to make one quick one, 10 minutes. Continue to write to him, he needs the support and let him know, you are anxious to talk to him.    Take a deep breath, as long as he still appears on the IDOC as being in BC, he should be OK!
Do not value the "things" you have in your life - value "who" you have in your life....

“Instead of thinking about what you're missing, try thinking about what you have that everyone else is missing.”

Offline 338AP

« Reply #248 on: April 26, 2011, 06:36:43 PM »
Thank you I didn't think Id get a response so fast I do write to him a lot and I constantly check the Idoc website what does it mean when they say the person is a ghost for the first 2 weeks
FOREVER .....FOREVER

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #249 on: April 26, 2011, 06:50:47 PM »
The first two weeks he's there he is a Ghost, wearing a white uniform they have no write outs, or time for themselves, it's a rough period they go through where they are yelled at and told they are worthless and other things. This is a rough program, that's why they need alot of support from the outside to get through it.
Do not value the "things" you have in your life - value "who" you have in your life....

“Instead of thinking about what you're missing, try thinking about what you have that everyone else is missing.”

Offline 338AP

« Reply #250 on: April 26, 2011, 07:24:58 PM »
Oh ok thank you
FOREVER .....FOREVER

Offline 338AP

« Reply #251 on: April 27, 2011, 04:07:39 PM »
Am sorry I have so many questions but I finally got a letter from my fiance he said in order for Me to see him I have to get a marriage paper what Is he talking about? I know visits are restricted to only immediate family but ive read a lot of ppl say they got to visit their fiances'
FOREVER .....FOREVER

Offline irish45mj

« Reply #252 on: April 27, 2011, 04:26:29 PM »
That's just one more way that Boot Camp is more strict than prison.  If you aren't immediate family, you can't visit. 

Offline 338AP

« Reply #253 on: April 27, 2011, 06:44:44 PM »
Then how are ppl saying they got to visit their fiances if they aren't immediate family or married ?
FOREVER .....FOREVER

Offline bmonska

« Reply #254 on: April 27, 2011, 08:56:36 PM »
You're probably reading about people visiting their fiances in other thread regarding the other prisons. At the prison facilities, as long as you're approved on the list, you can visit but at boot camp they only allow immediate family members. He's probably talking about the fact you need to provide them a marriage certificate. If you were his wife already, you'd be able to visit you'd just have to prove it with a marriage certificate.

Offline myworkid1987

« Reply #255 on: May 04, 2011, 03:00:39 PM »
does anyone know when the next transfer to dixon springs boot camp is from statesville?  my husband is awaiting to be transferred.  Also if you have a felony on your record do you have to do anything special before a visit?

Offline Marks_guy

• Support Staff
« Reply #256 on: May 04, 2011, 04:24:57 PM »
I can't remember, right off the top of my head, which day they do transfers from Stateville. But I do know that the wait time for being sent to boot camp is longer than the time to be transferred to a regular facility. Most of that is because a space has to open up before anyone new can start the program.

Offline myworkid1987

« Reply #257 on: May 04, 2011, 11:26:07 PM »
Thank you.  I got a letter from him saying 25-35 days and he went to statesville the end of april.  So if hes right he should be going the end of this month.  Just trying to get an idea of when so I can plan for a visit and ask off for work.

Offline bmonska

« Reply #258 on: May 05, 2011, 04:26:25 PM »
I wouldn't make any plans ahead of time until you know he's been transferred there. The time frame he gave you is probably an average, not a guarantee. 

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #259 on: May 05, 2011, 04:33:00 PM »
Thank you.  I got a letter from him saying 25-35 days and he went to statesville the end of april.  So if hes right he should be going the end of this month.  Just trying to get an idea of when so I can plan for a visit and ask off for work.

Even if he is moved the end of the month, he won't be moved right to BC, he will be moved to the parent prison of this BC and it could take a few days after that before he is moved to the actual camp.  He has to do 60 days before he can get his first visit and they don't always do them in order, he could miss a few days within that first 60 day period, that's why they say it's a 120-180 day program.  Don't ever count anything with IDOC 100% because it never works out that way.