• November 14, 2018, 04:41:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to ILLINOIS PRISON TALK, www.illinoisprisontalk.org - A Family Support Forum and Information Center for those interacting with the Illinois Department of Corrections. IPT members are comprised of family/friends of inmates, prison reform activists, ex-offenders, prisoner rights advocates and others interested in the well-being of Illinois prisoners. We encourage open discussion but please be tolerant of other's opinions. This website is protected by Copyright 2006-2018. All rights reserved. There are some private forums that require registration, please register.

Author Topic: Dixon Springs Boot Camp  (Read 180157 times)

Offline BootCampPrince

• Boot Camp Prince
Re: Dixon Springs Boot Camp
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2007, 01:48:23 PM »
On the first day of BootCamp he will be given 1 letter and stamped envelope to send back home to let someone know he is at BootCamp.  After that he can purchase 2 stamped envelopes from his $3 commissary payment. 

The mail system in BootCamp is extremely FAST.  It only takes 5-7 days for a normal letter from Chicago all way down to Vienna (Dixon Springs Boot Camp). It takes them a day to read it and pass it along.  And it takes about 1-3 days for a letter from Vienna to arrive in Chicago.

When I mentioned "negative" writings above it was directed towards gangs, violence, drugs, alcohol, sex.  You are free to discuss any feelings you have but I just wanted you to be aware that all the letters are read word for word at Boot Camp and to be careful in what you right.

I also enjoyed receiving magazines and letters.  Because you are locked in your cell 24/7.  So you have nothing to do in your cell but re-read your magazines and letters.

Dont worry danny all of us felt the same way when we didn't receive any letters from our friends and family.  Then we learned everyone else had the same problem and it's actually a Stateville issue.  Also any mail you send him at Stateville and he gets transferred to BootCamp will get transferred over as well.

Also in BootCamp he is only allowed to keep 3 pictures at a time. If he has any more he will have to send them home right away.  So if you send him 3 more pictures and he already has 3 then he has to mail 3 of them back.

Offline gettingby

« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2007, 10:03:19 PM »
Bootcamp prince, you really are a prince!!! since I have not received any letters lately, I was having horrid melt downs thinking that my son isin't receiving my letters and he might be thinking I had deserted him, but when I just read your post that they talk and realize it's a stateville thing, it was like someone just bopped me on the head and said "of course, they talk, and he knows I am still here"  I will sleep so much better tonight!
So glad to hear that all of you write a lot to your inmates, it seems to help so much.  We sent my son so many books and magazine, he told me to hold off on the books a while, he has plenty to read.  I told him to share his reading material, there are so many kids who don't get anything. 
Danny, my son is at a community collage, I was hiping he would be able to go back in January, dosen't look like that will happen. He had the whole plan worked out, take all the requirements here, stay home, save money, go on to an out of state univerisity.  Little change of plans now.
Don't repay kindness, pass it on.

Offline gettingby

« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2007, 08:01:53 PM »
loretjord7, Big Sis, and anyone else who has an inmate waitng for Bootcamp at S/V.  My son was recently moved to Vienna as prebootcamp, said there they wait another 2-5 weeks but they can call out, so expect calls once they are there.  They seem to be moving kids on Tuesdays, but they didn't last week, more guys due this week.  My son was in R/C for 11 weeks, so it shouldn't be to long for your guys now.  Keep praying and stay strong, they are so close to bootcamp at this point.

Offline BiG Sis

• His Guardian Angel & Protector
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2007, 10:42:44 PM »
Thank you and God bless you and your son always! ././/

?>?>?>
BiG Sis
May God give each one of us the strength to live through this, each minute of each day. May this storm of life bring a beautiful rainbow at the end of it.

Offline loretjord7

• The Lord is our Shepherd.
« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2007, 06:14:19 PM »
loretjord7, Big Sis, and anyone else who has an inmate waiting for Bootcamp at S/V. My son was recently moved to Vienna as prebootcamp, said there they wait another 2-5 weeks but they can call out, so expect calls once they are there. They seem to be moving kids on Tuesdays, but they didn't last week, more guys due this week. My son was in R/C for 11 weeks, so it shouldn't be to long for your guys now. Keep praying and stay strong, they are so close to bootcamp at this point.
Hi gettingby, I am so happy for you and your son. But my son is still waiting. With no information as to what is happening. But he did pass his physical. He says he is not getting in any trouble and he works in the kitchen. I called StatesVille and they say it may be another two weeks. Very depressing. But I keep praying for it to be soon. Thanks for the information.
I am not trying to be difficult, just trying to understand. Maybe that is my problem.

Offline randerson1123

« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2007, 04:14:58 PM »
Yesterday was my one year anniversary. bg My fiance was caught on some things he did last year. He was at cook county from July to August and now he is in stateville. He is there waiting for a bed to get into boot camp. How will I know which bootcamp he's going to? When i look on the idoc webpage it says that he is still in reception so what does that mean? He's been at stateville since August of this year so how much longer should i expect him to be there? If there is anyone who can answer these questions it will be greatly appriciated.

thanks so much in advance to anyone who responds ? >:)
Peace and Blessings

Offline Dazzler

• Editor-in-Chief
  • Administrator
  • Retired News Reporter ~ Prison Reform Advocate
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2007, 04:24:48 PM »
Welcome randerson.  We have all your questions covered in the forum Ten Steps to Understanding the IDOC...you'll find it near the top of the main page.  It's a good place to start and then we'll answer all the other questions you might have.  We have a section for Illinois Bootcamps also, under the Individual Prison Profiles.  There's lots of members here with lots of information about bootcamps....including our moderator, BootCampPrince, a former inmate. 
~ "I have visited some of the best and the worst prisons and have never seen signs of coddling, but I have seen the terrible results of the boredom and frustration of empty hours and pointless existence." ~ US Supreme Court Justice Warren Burger

~ "An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind."
~ Mahatma Gandhi

Offline BiG Sis

« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2007, 05:04:56 PM »
On the first day of BootCamp he will be given 1 letter and stamped envelope to send back home to let someone know he is at BootCamp. After that he can purchase 2 stamped envelopes from his $3 commissary payment.

The mail system in BootCamp is extremely FAST. It only takes 5-7 days for a normal letter from Chicago all way down to Vienna (Dixon Springs Boot Camp). It takes them a day to read it and pass it along. And it takes about 1-3 days for a letter from Vienna to arrive in Chicago.

When I mentioned "negative" writings above it was directed towards gangs, violence, drugs, alcohol, sex. You are free to discuss any feelings you have but I just wanted you to be aware that all the letters are read word for word at Boot Camp and to be careful in what you right.

I also enjoyed receiving magazines and letters. Because you are locked in your cell 24/7. So you have nothing to do in your cell but re-read your magazines and letters.

Dont worry danny all of us felt the same way when we didn't receive any letters from our friends and family. Then we learned everyone else had the same problem and it's actually a Stateville issue. Also any mail you send him at Stateville and he gets transferred to BootCamp will get transferred over as well.

Also in BootCamp he is only allowed to keep 3 pictures at a time. If he has any more he will have to send them home right away. So if you send him 3 more pictures and he already has 3 then he has to mail 3 of them back.

Bootcamp Prince,

My brother has gone to Duquoin do you know if the bootcampers can have books or magazines and is it only 3 pictures of anyone? I remember being told the pictures could only be of immediate family. Is this true?

Thanks
May God give each one of us the strength to live through this, each minute of each day. May this storm of life bring a beautiful rainbow at the end of it.

Offline BootCampPrince

• Boot Camp Prince
« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2007, 05:47:25 PM »
randerson1123: Welcome to the Site.  You will not know what BootCamp he will be going to until he actually gets there, for safety reasons.

Big Sis:  You can not send any books or magazines to inmates who are in BootCamp.   Only letters which they read to make sure nothing negative, or any cursing is in there otherwise he won't get it.  He can have 3 pictures and it does not have to be family. It could be anything just no pictures of drugs, alcohol or drug related.   

You can send up to 3 pictures at at a time but he can only keep 3 in his possession.   So if he has 3 already and you send him 3 more then he has to send 3 back home so he won't get in any trouble.

Offline JForce

« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2007, 06:02:30 PM »
Yesterday was my one year anniversary. bg My fiance was caught on some things he did last year. He was at cook county from July to August and now he is in stateville. He is there waiting for a bed to get into boot camp. How will I know which bootcamp he's going to? When i look on the idoc webpage it says that he is still in reception so what does that mean? He's been at stateville since August of this year so how much longer should i expect him to be there? If there is anyone who can answer these questions it will be greatly appriciated.

randerson1123-
My son is also at S/V waiting for a bed at boot camp. He has been there since the beginning of September. From what I have seen it is usually a 3 -4 month wait once you get to S/V, however, just recently things seem to be moving a bit quicker. When your fiance is eventually moved to boot camp it will change on the IDOC inmate locater webpage. I believe if he goes to Dixon Springs it will say "Parent institute Vienna, location: Dixon Springs Boot" and if he goes to Du Quoin it will say "Parent Institute Pickneyville and location: blank" There are other Moms and Sisters that can probably tell you a lot more as they are way ahead of me in the boot camp system.
My son is currently in the "dorms" at S/V and has been since he was there for 2 weeks. I think he got lucky as many people report their loved one waiting in their cell for many weeks before going to the dorms. Before he goes to boot camp he will be sent to pre boot camp at Vienna for 2 -3 weeks. Let me know if I can help you with anything else. If I don't know, someone else will come along that does. It's a great website for support!
JForce

Offline gettingby

« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2007, 06:53:03 PM »
randerson1123,

I'm glad you found us, this is the best place to be to keep your sanity during this time.  Those of us you are on the same road share lots of good info that will offer some comfort to you.  My son is currently at DuQuoin bootcamp, he waited at S/V for 3 months before being moved to Vienna for prebootcamp.  He was there for just about 4 weeks before before going to bootcamp.  The very best thing you can do for your fiance right now is to send him lots of letters, books and magazines.  I also printed lots of things from the internet on topics he was interested in. It you have family and friends who will write, please encourage them to write as well.  The more they hear from us on the outside, the better connected they feel, it will also give them the strength to complete each day and once they are at bootcamp, they will remember how many people are waiting for their release.  No question is dumb, so please, ask away, we are all here to help each other.

Offline randerson1123

« Reply #31 on: October 11, 2007, 11:38:20 PM »
Thanks to everyone who welcomed me and answered my questions. I write him a new letter almost every other day and i just talked to his aunt who said that her, her children, and his brothers and sisters were going to write him.  I heard from him last sunday and he said he is doing ok so knowing that kind of keeps me sane. Im glad i found this site because it really does help me deal with our new situation but im glad that we are getting it over with now instead of after the wedding.

gettingby: Have you heard from your son and if so how does he say the boot camp is? Is it too rough or does it depend on the person's state of mind?

bootcampprince: As far as boot camp goes im sure that he didnt have any health problems but he recently said they told him something about his liver and for someone to contact the people in springfield.. Could this be bad and if its not major will it stop him from going to boot camp?

Thanks again to everyone
Peace and Blessings

Offline BootCampPrince

• Boot Camp Prince
« Reply #32 on: October 11, 2007, 11:49:43 PM »
randerson113: His liver maybe a problem.  If he doesn't think he can go through Boot Camp with it then he may want to consider other options. Because if he gets down there and quits or leaves after it begins he will lose all his good time.

If he doesn't think it will be a problem. Here's my advice.  Call down to Springfield and ask to speak to the Boot Camp coordinator and check  to see if there are any medical holds on him.  And let them know theres nothing wrong with his liver and hes a perfectly healthy kid and can participate in BootCamp.

Because if there is a hold then he will be waiting a few more weeks until the hold is lifted. They are really slow and careful about releasing any medical holds especially since the death of the BootCamper in Florida.  So in my opinion, if he is healthy I would call down there and tell him he has no medical problems and he is fine for BootCamp.

Offline BiG Sis

« Reply #33 on: October 12, 2007, 12:54:03 AM »
Yesterday was my one year anniversary. bg My fiance was caught on some things he did last year. He was at cook county from July to August and now he is in stateville. He is there waiting for a bed to get into boot camp. How will I know which bootcamp he's going to? When i look on the idoc webpage it says that he is still in reception so what does that mean? He's been at stateville since August of this year so how much longer should i expect him to be there? If there is anyone who can answer these questions it will be greatly appreciated.

randerson1123-
My son is also at S/V waiting for a bed at boot camp. He has been there since the beginning of September. From what I have seen it is usually a 3 -4 month wait once you get to S/V, however, just recently things seem to be moving a bit quicker. When your fiance is eventually moved to boot camp it will change on the IDOC inmate locater webpage. I believe if he goes to Dixon Springs it will say "Parent institute Vienna, location: Dixon Springs Boot" and if he goes to Du Quoin it will say "Parent Institute Pickneyville and location: blank" There are other Moms and Sisters that can probably tell you a lot more as they are way ahead of me in the boot camp system.
My son is currently in the "dorms" at S/V and has been since he was there for 2 weeks. I think he got lucky as many people report their loved one waiting in their cell for many weeks before going to the dorms. Before he goes to boot camp he will be sent to pre boot camp at Vienna for 2 -3 weeks. Let me know if I can help you with anything else. If I don't know, someone else will come along that does. It's a great website for support!
JForce
Randerson1123,

You can try to do what a lot of us have. Start going through the IDOC numbers to see where he's at in line. Last I heard they had transferred 627's from Stateville and that was last Friday. You can pretty much go off of that. It's kind of insane, but I felt better doing it and I'm sure the others can tell you the same. Well Happy Anniversary! My brother and his girlfriend (fiance) also are having there one year today the 12th. I'm so excited because we are all asking her to marry him. He had asked her over the phone, but now we have an official ring! I feel pretty insane doing all this, but anything for my baby brother. I can sympathize with you cuz I know how his girlfriend feels. It's a rollercoaster ride, but God sees us through all of it without a doubt! She didn't believe like that at first, but with our help she has learned how to pray and have faith otherwise it's hard. Sorry to have babbled. Let me know if you have any questions. Just to let you know my brother is at DuQuoin Bootcamp he was transferred on Tuesday, so I haven't gotten any letters yet with any info on the bootcamp.

Offline randerson1123

« Reply #34 on: October 13, 2007, 04:10:35 PM »
bootcampprince: I understand what your saying because he told his aunt to call springfield and see what was going on. Another question i have for you is around what time are the graduations normally held? Is there any restrictions on who is allowed to come to the graduation and what is the process of the graduation? Thanks in advance!!!

BigSis: Congratulations on your brothers engagment!! The only questions i really have is about the numbers you were talkin about. How will I find out what number he is? Is it a website or a number that I call to figure it out? Thanks in advance
Peace and Blessings

Offline Dazzler

• Editor-in-Chief
  • Administrator
  • Retired News Reporter ~ Prison Reform Advocate
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #35 on: October 13, 2007, 04:12:49 PM »
randerson - the numbers she's referring to are the IDOC inmate #'s...I think they are on R's right now? I'm not sure...what these moms do is put in their kids' ID numbers on the inmate locator, rather than names...and then they keep changing the last number to see who entered the DOC about the same time as their son has already been assigned and moved to bootcamp...are you following me?  I believe the IDOC assigns bootcamps in order of entering the IDOC...the inmate locator is at the top of our home page and takes you directly to the IDOC website...
~ "I have visited some of the best and the worst prisons and have never seen signs of coddling, but I have seen the terrible results of the boredom and frustration of empty hours and pointless existence." ~ US Supreme Court Justice Warren Burger

~ "An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind."
~ Mahatma Gandhi

Offline BiG Sis

« Reply #36 on: October 14, 2007, 07:30:29 PM »
Randerson,

That's exactly right. When you go on the idoc website search for him by last name. Then you will see R# if there still on R's. Let me know if you need any more help. Thanks I am so excitred about my brother's engagement. By the way she said YES what a night!

Offline BootCampPrince

• Boot Camp Prince
« Reply #37 on: October 14, 2007, 07:35:49 PM »
randerson1123: Graduations are very informal and anyone can attend.  They will search you and the car to make sure there is no drugs or alcohol in the car.  I remember one kids parents came in a limo and they were kicked out because liquor was in the limo and the kid had to take the bus home.

The graduations are everyday at 9:00 and last 10 minutes.  There are some days where no one graduates.  The big graduations are on Wednesdays just because they are the ones who usually complete the program in 120 days.  Basically the rest of the BootCamp marches and chants from one end to the other.  Either the Supt. or a Lt. gives a 5 minute speech then calls the names of the graduates and they come marching in get there diploma and litterally run out of there and fast as they can.

Thats all it is. Nothing fancy. And its over with very quickly.

Offline randerson1123

« Reply #38 on: October 15, 2007, 01:18:13 PM »
bootcampprince: what is the number to the springfield office? I looked on the idoc website and his number is in the  642's and the numbers around him says that they are still in reception to. Now after the graduation i know that he has to do 3 months of house arrest so will they give him enough time to get home? How will they time him?
Peace and Blessings

Offline BiG Sis

« Reply #39 on: October 15, 2007, 05:55:53 PM »
Randerson,

The number to Springfield is 217-522-2666x2603 is the transfer department x2611 is Bob Patterson he is the bootcamp coordinator. A lot of us have posted where they were at on numbers and you can go from there. If you search on the bootcamps forums there is a lot of awesome info. The info on the house arrest is also on there. As far as the number order if the R63's haven't gone you have to start there. My brother left to bootcamp a week ago and the last shipment from S/V ended at R629's.