• November 14, 2018, 04:15:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to ILLINOIS PRISON TALK, www.illinoisprisontalk.org - A Family Support Forum and Information Center for those interacting with the Illinois Department of Corrections. IPT members are comprised of family/friends of inmates, prison reform activists, ex-offenders, prisoner rights advocates and others interested in the well-being of Illinois prisoners. We encourage open discussion but please be tolerant of other's opinions. This website is protected by Copyright © 2006-2018. All rights reserved. There are some private forums that require registration, please register.

Author Topic: Dixon Springs Boot Camp  (Read 180146 times)

Offline gettingby

Re: Dixon Springs Boot Camp
« Reply #180 on: November 16, 2008, 09:09:21 AM »
cgs51,

We will help you survive this. You're right, once they are out, that is the hard part.  I know my son get s a little annoyed when I ask where he is going, who is going to be with, what are the plans for the evening, what time will he be home, and I tell him that if he isn't here, I start calling on the his cell.  If he doesn't answer, I call his girlfriends phone...that's embarrassing for him.  He is usually pretty good about it, I've explained why I am this way, and I would rather have him check in with me than IDOC.  I try to give him the trust, that is hard in itself, because it seems like once they are in the system, they want to keep them there. 
The other night, he was pulled over for not using his turn signal when he turned into our drive way.  Once they ran his license, they searched his car and brought a dog to do its thing.  Of course, they found nothing, but that scared the heck out of him.  I told my brother (who is a police officer) about this. He said sure, it will happen every time--When they run his name, it comes back as a potential dangerous felon (or something like that)  That is the price you pay for your action.  So I imagine he will go through this type of stuff anytime he is pulled over.  He better drive carefully.   
Don't repay kindness, pass it on.

Offline galstone34

• Waiting for daddy to come home!
« Reply #181 on: November 17, 2008, 06:30:19 AM »
While they are in there us as a mom feel safe, its when they get out that the real(different) worrying begins!! We have to rely on there good choices to keep them out of trouble. And not so much them but that the Label will follow and they will be looked at as trouble!

Offline cgs51

« Reply #182 on: November 17, 2008, 08:24:24 PM »
I know what you mean.  I worry that with the economy the way it is and as hard as jobs are to get and/or keep----how hard will it be if you are "on parole"?  I worry for his family too although his fiance is working nights as a cashier at a LUVS gas station/convenience store.  At least he can help by babysitting for the two young ones for a week or so while he is looking for work.  Right now I guess is the least worried time I have had and will have for a long time.  That sounds sooooo terrible but , other than worrying about him coming to physical harm, I know he will toe the line to get to come home so I worry less now than when he gets out.
Oh well, I guess that is why God gave mothers strong shoulders, to carry the weight of their worry that never goes away.  I told him once that a child is a child until they are an adult but a parent is a parent ALL their lives.  But I would not trade it for anything

Offline galstone34

« Reply #183 on: November 20, 2008, 06:20:17 AM »
Me neither! Have you heard from your son yet! Mine called yesterday and that helps.

Offline cgs51

« Reply #184 on: November 20, 2008, 10:54:54 PM »
No call yet.  I would rather he call his fiance and 2 1/2 yr old son than me (but I could sure use a letter right now).  He is still at Stateville R&C.  I wish I had an idea how long he will be there but this is kind of like the military--you don't get much information and what you get is usually wrong and then you hurry up and wait.  I have sent him two 2 day mail packs with magazines and a few pics of his fiance and the kids.  I hope to get more pics this week end to send him.  He really loves those kids.  I think that more than anything will keep him from ever going back to jail.  Have you heard how long the R&C stays are at Stateville now?  I think he was supposed to get 1 call out after he arrived but I haven't heard if he talked to his fiance or not.  I will be talking to her this weekend.  She is a lot younger than him (she's 22 he's 34) but she has stood by him through A LOT in the past 3 years.  And she got a job to keep her and the kids while he is gone--got to admire that.  She's just not a warm fuzzy person but then neither am I so I guess we'll get along.  Sorry I rattled on so much I just miss and worry about him.
So glad you got a call.  Is your son at boot camp?  How are things going for him--I know it is tough.  I hope all goes well for him.  I will hold good thoughts for you and him.

Offline galstone34

« Reply #185 on: November 30, 2008, 07:46:18 AM »
Hope our thanksgiving was good! My son did not make it in bootcamp(not to discourage you)he Quit. He is now in Hardin County Work Camp, He will be home in June. If they Quit or get kicked out, they have to do their origanal time. I heard that all transfers to anywhere were on hold, re a big wig.But as you say that could be wrong.

Offline cgs51

« Reply #186 on: December 14, 2008, 08:46:34 PM »
Thanks for your reply and I am very sorry your son did not make boot camp.  :wc23:   Mine has to--he does FIVE years if he quits.  But he leaves Stateville tomorrow for Dixon Springs and he is really UP about it so I have faith he will make it.  Hopefully all will go well and he will be home the middle of April.  He is confident he can handle it so I am too. 
Hope your Christmas is a Merry one and your son is home with you again soo.  :tree:

Offline galstone34

« Reply #187 on: December 16, 2008, 05:09:24 PM »
Now remember the first letter you get will sound real scary, but it is when the newbies come in and the CO's drill them relentlessly and make them write that quick letter! They have their heads spinning! The next letter will be much better. Merry Christmas!!

Offline cgs51

« Reply #188 on: December 16, 2008, 11:06:01 PM »
Thanks.  I need all the information I can get to get through this.  I am sending him a letter a day--mostly about what is going on each day but something to read and remember we love him, miss him and want him home. 
How is your son doing?  Do you get to talk to him?  I hope the time goes fast for him.  That was one of the things my son was looking forward to at boot camp--the working every day and having something to do instead of just sitting and waiting for time to pass.  He is 34 and most of the guys that went with him are late teens or early 20s.  He figures the COs will figure out he is there to work longer and harder than they expect, to do his time, keep his nose clean and go home to his family so they will concentrate on the younger guys that they can "get to".  I hope it works that way for him.
I hope both of our sons decide this is the LAST time they want to be on the inside looking out and get their lives together when they taste freedom again.  It is so hard to watch them make mistakes but even harder if they don't learn from them.
Good luck to you and yours.

Offline samfam

« Reply #189 on: January 06, 2009, 03:00:57 PM »
What does it mean when the IDOC information changes from Vienna "in custody" to "Dixon Springs Boot" and back to Vienna "in custody".  Does that mean that the inmate got removed from the boot camp?

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #190 on: January 06, 2009, 03:10:12 PM »
Yes, that is what it could mean and if so, they now would have to serve out their whole sentence.  If this is your loved one, have you called to talk to their counselor?
Do not value the "things" you have in your life - value "who" you have in your life....

“Instead of thinking about what you're missing, try thinking about what you have that everyone else is missing.”

Offline samfam

« Reply #191 on: January 06, 2009, 04:02:58 PM »
It is not my loved one...I guess you could say it is the "ex" loved one of a family member of mine.  Can you talk to the facility if you are not immediate family?  Will they tell you if they have been removed from the boot camp?  If he got placed back in regular prison, how long will he have to wait to make a phone call?

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #192 on: January 06, 2009, 04:09:30 PM »
They will only speak with family.  It all depends on when he was put back in GP at Vienna and if he'll have to make out visiting and phone lists and then wait till they get approved. 
Do not value the "things" you have in your life - value "who" you have in your life....

“Instead of thinking about what you're missing, try thinking about what you have that everyone else is missing.”

Offline samfam

« Reply #193 on: January 06, 2009, 04:17:59 PM »
Thanks for the info. I am very worried about what will happen with my family member and this situation and there are children involved :-(

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #194 on: January 06, 2009, 04:21:26 PM »
I hope it all works out, I know nothing to do with IDOC/Prison is easy ... if he has any family that could call and talk to a counselor, this might help ease your minds ...  I don't know how long his sentence was, but if he is out of bootcamp he is probably looking at 50% of that time plus goodtime and not sure how much of that he would be entitled to earn, all depends on the conviction.

Offline momo16

« Reply #195 on: March 20, 2009, 07:34:50 PM »
My boyfriend got shipped to vienna straight out of his 10 days at statesville, and was in dixon springs the next day. hes been their since tuesday so im excited the countdown finally starts

Offline Wiifeystatusz09

« Reply #196 on: April 18, 2009, 11:45:51 AM »
Hi everyone.. i read from here that bootcamp is 120-180 days..can they be held longer than 180 days though?

Offline gettingby

« Reply #197 on: April 18, 2009, 05:07:10 PM »
Hi Wiifey,

They actually have to complete 120 active days of bootcamp to graduate.  It can take them up to 180 days.  If they get into trouble, they can be pulled out of bootcamp for different amounts of time up to 30 days, which they make up when they get back (this is decided by board depending on the seriousness of the infraction) If they cannot complete bootcamp within 180 days of when they start, they will have to serve their original sentence.

Offline Wiifeystatusz09

« Reply #198 on: April 18, 2009, 05:35:54 PM »
hii gettinby...thanks for the reply...so if my man doesnt get in trouble and he does what he suppose to do everyday ..he'll be home in exactly 4 months?...

Offline gettingby

« Reply #199 on: April 18, 2009, 07:51:55 PM »
it's 17 weeks, 1 day, I think it's 3-4 days less than 4 months.  My son did it in 120 days.  Now they may have minor violations like talking without permission or not following a direct order they get a demerit.  They get a book with 12 demerits. If they finish 1 book, they have one "motivational day" which is lots of exercise, maybe carrying a log on their shoulders.  If they finish 2 books, they get 2 motivational days, three books, 3 days.  If they get to 8 books (I think) then they leave bootcamp and have to finish their sentence.  When my son was there, most bootcampers went through 1-3 books.  2 days of motivation is motivation enough to keep most guys from finishing another book.  Motivational days are tough, but can be done if they are focused and determined to be out in 120 days.  They add days on to the 120 if a "quit day" is taken either the bootcamper decides to sit out that day (not an easy decision to make) or the CO decides the inmate has to take a quit day.