• November 14, 2018, 04:21:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to ILLINOIS PRISON TALK, www.illinoisprisontalk.org - A Family Support Forum and Information Center for those interacting with the Illinois Department of Corrections. IPT members are comprised of family/friends of inmates, prison reform activists, ex-offenders, prisoner rights advocates and others interested in the well-being of Illinois prisoners. We encourage open discussion but please be tolerant of other's opinions. This website is protected by Copyright 2006-2018. All rights reserved. There are some private forums that require registration, please register.

Author Topic: Dixon Springs Boot Camp  (Read 180152 times)

Offline verysadDAD

Dixon Springs Boot Camp
« Reply #160 on: July 24, 2008, 08:57:25 PM »
my son has been in dixon springs since this past tuesday,  i just sent him a letter and a $20 money order.  what can he buy with this money?   thanks,  verysadDAD

Offline Dazzler

• Editor-in-Chief
  • Administrator
  • Retired News Reporter ~ Prison Reform Advocate
    • Illinois Prison Talk
Dixon Springs Boot Camp
« Reply #161 on: July 24, 2008, 09:03:24 PM »
I made a post about commissary items and just realized you're talking about a boot camp.  I think they are very limited compared to a regular prison.  Maybe a bootcamp Mom/Dad can answer this one. 
~ "I have visited some of the best and the worst prisons and have never seen signs of coddling, but I have seen the terrible results of the boredom and frustration of empty hours and pointless existence." ~ US Supreme Court Justice Warren Burger

~ "An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind."
~ Mahatma Gandhi

Offline galstone34

• Waiting for daddy to come home!
Dixon Springs Boot Camp
« Reply #162 on: July 24, 2008, 09:09:37 PM »
They only get $3 to spend a week, they have too buy their necessities first. they can buy a candy bar or chips, or pop but they have too eat it then, they cannot take it with them.

Offline gettingby

Dixon Springs Boot Camp
« Reply #163 on: August 09, 2008, 04:17:50 PM »
When my son was in DuQuoin, the 3 per week was supplied by IDOC, When he was released they gave him a check  for the money that was on his account, so when your son completes bootcamp, he should get a check.
Don't repay kindness, pass it on.

Offline BootCampPrince

• Boot Camp Prince
Dixon Springs Boot Camp
« Reply #164 on: August 13, 2008, 11:15:39 PM »
The money you send him to boot camp can only be used for the following

1) Postage To Send out Letters
2) Nurse / Doctors Fee  (Everytime you See a Nurse/Doctor you get charged $3)
3) Clothing (Everyone in Boot Camp Loses there Clothing or it gets stolen. So you have to buy new clothing when this happens)

The money you send him can not be used for anything else. The remainder balance will be given to you in a check when you leave. If you are taking a bus home then that money will be used towards bus fare.

You can not buy snacks/hygiene with the money sent in.  You are given a $3 allowance a week to buy your hygiene and if you have extra you can buy a snack or two, that's if you didn't lose your snack privileges for the week.

Offline gettingby

Dixon Springs Boot Camp
« Reply #165 on: August 24, 2008, 07:27:09 PM »
BootCampPrince, Glad to hear from you.  How are you doing?

Offline BootCampPrince

• Boot Camp Prince
Re: Dixon Springs Boot Camp
« Reply #166 on: September 18, 2008, 12:14:36 AM »
Sorry for the late reply,

I'm doing fantastic. I'm almost off papers and I have been in good standing with everything else.  Its a slow and long process to get your life together but I'm making strides.

Thanks for asking.

Offline gettingby

« Reply #167 on: September 18, 2008, 05:38:57 PM »
Glad to hear it, my son is coming along as well.  It has been one year ago today that he started boot camp.  How time flies.  I told him today would be a good day to think about his goals, where he is today and what he needs to do to achieve his goals

Offline cgs51

« Reply #168 on: November 09, 2008, 02:34:51 PM »
My son is getting ready to go to Stateville to hopefully be sent to a boot camp.  I understand from what I have read that it is IDOC that decides yes or no to boot camp but he is drug free and physically able to do the work.  I want to thank everyone that has posted info on this site for the help they have given.  I have learned soo much just reading the posts.  He is leaving for Stateville Thursday morning from McLean County and I have already told him a lot of what I have learned here.  I always figured knowledge is power so thank you for all your info. 
I do have one question.  His attorney said he is a good candidate for boot camp (which the judge ordered) and then she said "right now they are almost empty and looking for people so he might not be at Stateville very long".  Now I know anyone can say anything whether it is right or not so my question is--Does anyone know from experience that this is a fact or is there someone you know waiting at Stateville now and how long have they been waiting?
Thanks for any info you can give.  I plan to be here while he is gone and stay after he comes back to hopefully help others the way you have helped me.

Offline gettingby

« Reply #169 on: November 09, 2008, 03:22:27 PM »
cgs51,

Welcome to IPT.  When my son went to statville waiting for bootcamp, this site saved my sanity.  When my son went to stateville, May '07, he was told he would be in R&C for about 3-4 weeks.  He did not get to bootcamp until 9-21-07, so that was 3 months, 3 weeks.  Sometimes the wait isn't so long.  What ever the wait time, we are here for you to help you through this---and you will get through.  Good luck.  When my son was in stateville, the only real way to get an approximate move date was to check the numbers on the IDOC site.

Offline gettingby

« Reply #170 on: November 09, 2008, 03:33:40 PM »
cgs51,

I did just check the IDOC web site and I saw R74xxx numbers who have been in custody since 09-23 already in bootcamp.  That is a real good thing, it means the wait might be no longer 6-7 weeks.  A BIG GOOD LUCK FOR YOUR SON!!!

Offline cgs51

« Reply #171 on: November 09, 2008, 03:45:28 PM »
Thank you for your replies.  I know I will get through this and he will too.  He has a fiance and two small children to keep his mind set where it should be and he is strong enough to not react to the bs.  I appreciate any and all info you can give--it's the unknown that is the scariest so I just try to keep gaining knowledge and make the unknown the familiar.
Thanks again

Offline cgs51

« Reply #172 on: November 09, 2008, 03:59:50 PM »
I am just learning how to use the IDOC website and I was wondering how you got the info you gave me.  If that is not a good question, I apologize and just say agian thanks for the info.

Offline gettingby

« Reply #173 on: November 09, 2008, 05:12:28 PM »
Any question about your loved one is a good question.  If you go on the IDOC website, prisoner search and highlight IDOC# and type in the number, it will bring up the inmate and tell you their status and their custody date.  For example, I pulled up R74XXX (just a guess as to where the numbers might be now, since last year it was at R62XXX) the inmates was:

Parent Institution:  Pinckneyville Correctional Center
Inmate Status:  IN CUSTODY
with a custody date of 9-23

Based on the photo (they are all shaved), the fact that no location is listed (I have always found that to mean they are at bootcamp in DuQuoin), his age and the length of his sentence, I can assume he is in bootcamp.
I can't tell when he when to bootcamp, so even if he went to bootcamp last Tuesday (bootcamp usually starts on Tuesdays) the longest he waited is 7 weeks.  I know it seems like a long time, but if that is the case, it has improved so much since last year. 

Offline gettingby

« Reply #174 on: November 09, 2008, 05:25:34 PM »
cgs51,

I just saw someone with a custody date of 10-03 and they are already at bootcamp. So that is good thing.

Offline cgs51

« Reply #175 on: November 09, 2008, 05:40:02 PM »
WOW THAT sounds like really good news!!  I hope he goes soon (of course everyone does).  I understand that from Stateville they usually go to Dixon Springs the parent prison for intake and then to boot camp.  I guess each step is minimum of 2 weeks usually but I hope the boot camp is empty and wanting people like his attorney said.  Thanks again for your help  Some days it feels really alone here but I will not give up on him and as soon as I see he is at Stateville and has a number I am going to write AND send a couple of magazines.  If he leaves before they get there ALL THE BETTER

Offline gettingby

« Reply #176 on: November 09, 2008, 06:10:43 PM »
Don't give up on him, hopefully, this will just be a one time painful lesson for him (it has been for my son) I can't believe it has been just about 10 months since he has been home.  Just want to clarify--Vienna is the Parent institute for Dixon Springs and Picnknyville is the parent institute for Du Quoin.

Offline cgs51

« Reply #177 on: November 13, 2008, 08:10:47 PM »
Gettingby

It sounds like your son is still in boot camp.  I hope he is doing well.  You said he has determination, that's the key.  If he wants to get through not just get by, and get home to start new not just pick up where he left off, he will be OK and you will too.  We may nver meet but we share a common goal--helping our child.  It is a strong bond that I hope will help us help each other keep it together.  Good luck to you and your son.  May God hold you in the palm of his hand until you are together again.

Offline gettingby

« Reply #178 on: November 15, 2008, 09:03:23 AM »
cgs51,

Actually, my son completed bootcamp this past January, he is still on parole.  He completed BC in 120 days, he was very determined.  Even though he is back, I still pray that God hold him in the palm of his hand.  He started working the following Monday after he got out and back in school two weeks after that.  He is on the right track to get to his goals, although there are set backs along the way.  We do share that common goal of helping our child, and it is a strong bond. I think that's why I keep coming back to this, even after 10 months of his release.  When he first went in to S/V, I was devastated and just wanted the nightmare to end. I didn't know anyone who ever had a loved one serve prison time, so no one understood what I was going through, and anyone I told, even some family, were so judgemental. Until I found this site, thank goodness for the members who helped me out. It's tough for both mom and child when the realization sets in that Mom can't fix this.  A very hard lesson for the kids, a heartbreak for the mom, but the people on this site help me realize that the road didn't end, it just changed course.

Offline cgs51

« Reply #179 on: November 15, 2008, 08:41:58 PM »
I am soooo glad he succeeded at his goal for boot camp and is still succeeding now that he is out.  That is usually the HARD part, when all the "old friends" come by to say hi (but it is really to make sure he can still be led and doesn't "make it" unless they do).  I have never had anyone I love in prison or have any friends that have but I did go through drug rehab with my son when he was 16 and the same "old friends" came around for the same old reason.  As my mom used to say "I will hold my thumbs for him"--it is the soutern version of crossing your finger and wishing good luck.  I will hold good thoughts for BOTH of you.  I just hope I don't drive you crazy trying to get through this.  Well, I guess I did do it once before, my oldest son was in the Army so I got used to misinformation, lack of information, and hurry up and wait.  Hope I survive this one LOL.  :wc2: