• November 14, 2018, 04:17:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to ILLINOIS PRISON TALK, www.illinoisprisontalk.org - A Family Support Forum and Information Center for those interacting with the Illinois Department of Corrections. IPT members are comprised of family/friends of inmates, prison reform activists, ex-offenders, prisoner rights advocates and others interested in the well-being of Illinois prisoners. We encourage open discussion but please be tolerant of other's opinions. This website is protected by Copyright 2006-2018. All rights reserved. There are some private forums that require registration, please register.

Author Topic: Dixon Springs Boot Camp  (Read 180150 times)

Offline galstone34

• Waiting for daddy to come home!
Re: Dixon Springs Boot Camp
« Reply #140 on: April 17, 2008, 06:41:56 AM »
Well its official, my son got shipped to Dixon Springs Tues nite or Wed. You guys were right they did ship him to the other camp. I am sooo happy to start this part of the journey and so is my son! He looks scary in that ghost suit! He said he has lost over 30 lbs since Jan.

Offline JForce

« Reply #141 on: April 17, 2008, 07:18:58 AM »
Congratulations Galstone!  Yes, your journey has officially begun.  My son lost 40 pounds waiting for bootcamp.  The good news is he gained 5 pounds back at Dixon Springs.

Offline loretjord7

• The Lord is our Shepherd.
« Reply #142 on: April 17, 2008, 04:26:40 PM »
Congratulations Galstone34,

Your new countdown has begun and before you know it it will be over and your son will be home. My son lost 40 pounds while waiting to go to bootcamp. But he gained maybe about ten back.
I am not trying to be difficult, just trying to understand. Maybe that is my problem.

Offline galstone34

« Reply #143 on: April 19, 2008, 08:00:27 AM »
Question, can you send a birthday card? Also there was a cop shot here that my son has known for ten years, can I tell him this in a letter?(the cop lived)

Offline SMD

• Account Closed
« Reply #144 on: April 19, 2008, 12:40:20 PM »
galstone34,
     Gettingby is our biggest helper here, but I am thinking you can send them Birthday Cards, and I don't see why you can't tell him about the cop. It is news from home.
     I know I use to even send my son news clipping with his letters on things happening at home.

I have not read on here from any bootcamp moms on not being able to send this stuff to them.

I also heard this sad news about the cop and I feel bad for the family of the man getting killed to.
I just don't understand what people are thinking anymore. Where did the compassion for life go?
                                                             SMD

Offline gettingby

« Reply #145 on: April 19, 2008, 01:59:43 PM »
Hi galstone, woohoo, your son got to bootcamp.  His time will go by quickly for him.  Just tell him to follow all the rules and he will be fine.  You can send him a birthday card.  Just make sure it is just the card and print and color, in other words -nothing attached to the card, no glitter, glued on cardstock.  You can tell your son about the cop, I would tell my son about the vents in the community, but no newspaper clippings or printed downloads from the internet.  Bootcamp is very strict about that.  Basically you can send him cards, letters, and 3 photos.   
Don't repay kindness, pass it on.

Offline SMD

• Account Closed
« Reply #146 on: April 19, 2008, 02:13:45 PM »
Thanks for the info gettingby.

For us moms who do not know about bootcamp it is hard to help them.

So no news paper clippings and nonthing off the interent...

SMD

Offline gettingby

« Reply #147 on: April 19, 2008, 02:41:12 PM »
Right, and do not bother to send books or magazines, they can't have those either.

Offline loretjord7

« Reply #148 on: April 20, 2008, 08:42:03 AM »
Hi every one,

My son was also at Dixion Spring boot camp. let him know that the first two weeks are the hardest.  But it can be done. My son spoke of the muscle pains , but he eventually got use to it. You have to run a mile every day , both ways. His body was not in the best of shape and he did fall out once but he was determined to finish. Staying out of trouble, keeping his mouth shut and not getting many demerits  he was aloud certain rewards. My son is now 36 years of age, he was 35 when he went in. He had a friend that did not make it, he took his sentence.

We had a long time friend to die and I did send him her obituary and they did not wake him up out of his sleep  or hassled him about it, but he did have to send it right back after looking and reading it.

My son also keep himself busy, he had classes he also worked and these things kept him from being at the dorm as much as possible. Let him know that others can get the whole dorm in trouble, but the C/Os know who are the ones.

With all that, time will go by so fast. Tell your son to hang in there, be strong and before you know it he will be home.
I am not trying to be difficult, just trying to understand. Maybe that is my problem.

Offline galstone34

« Reply #149 on: April 20, 2008, 09:48:58 AM »
TY all for the info! I think I am not going to risk him punishment since it was violence in that the kid who shot him died and over a warant. It can wait.
But i must share with all you that his girlfriend got the first day write out and it was 1/2 page. He said he was shaken!! and that no words could describe it and that he was only there 3 hours.
He also said that when we send him a letter, we had to write inmate(last name)# and I believe she said he signed it that way too.

Offline loretjord7

« Reply #150 on: April 20, 2008, 10:11:19 AM »
What ever you fell confortable with that is the main thing.

Offline JForce

« Reply #151 on: April 20, 2008, 01:30:44 PM »
Hi Galstone,

When I wrote my son at Dixon Springs I just put his first name, last name, and R# along with the following address on the envelope and the letter;

VCC/Dixon Springs IIP
6695 Illinois State Route 146 East
Vienna, IL 62995

If there was an unauthorized picture or clipping it was shown to him and could either destroy it or send it back right away.  He was never woken in the middle of the night either. 

The key is to stay under the CO's radar. My son said that none of the CO'c knew him by name.  If you get in trouble enough that they know your name they use it a lot.  My son also said that just recently they were really cracking down on the trouble makers and sending them to prison to complete their original sentence.  They were telling them that if they didn't want their spot in bootcamp there were plenty that did.  It is tough but can be done.  Send bunches of letters and keep very positive.  He needs all your encouragement.  Stay strong!

Offline gettingby

« Reply #152 on: April 27, 2008, 09:44:34 AM »
Thanks moms for the info, I guess how they handle "contraban" mail in the 2 facilities varies.  From what i have read, there are a few difference between DuQoin and Dixon Springs.

Offline galstone34

« Reply #153 on: May 06, 2008, 07:46:09 AM »
Hey i am so glad to be back, my pc was being serviced. to add too the contraband letters my son got one from his girlfriend with some hearts drawn on it, they showed him the letter then they got rid of it just as you said jforce.

Offline galstone34

« Reply #154 on: May 24, 2008, 07:27:36 AM »
I am suppose to get a call from my son today, how late do they call. I do not want to miss it!

Offline galstone34

Dixon Springs Boot Camp
« Reply #155 on: June 21, 2008, 05:51:59 AM »
After not getting any letters from my lo, i got one dated June 11th and he said that they were out of envelopes! So that worry is over.

Offline gettingby

Dixon Springs Boot Camp
« Reply #156 on: June 21, 2008, 11:34:43 AM »
Out of envelopes  :wc36:  I'm glad you finally hear from him, I always feared the worst when I didn't hear from son.

Offline galstone34

Dixon Springs Boot Camp
« Reply #157 on: June 23, 2008, 06:10:03 AM »
Do you know if they can take their scheduled visits away?

Offline verysadDAD

Dixon Springs Boot Camp
« Reply #158 on: July 24, 2008, 04:09:31 PM »

Can you receive mail at bootcamp right away or is there a wait on that too? Will he be able to write right away? I know you get write-outs and a pencil but I wasn't sure if they have to wait. Are we allowed to tell them how sad we are or is that negative?
Thank you so much!

Offline galstone34

Dixon Springs Boot Camp
« Reply #159 on: July 24, 2008, 08:40:43 PM »
Yes they will get there mail, but sometimes it takes days because it goes to Vienna first. their first day there is horrible, they really scare them,but they make them write you a short letter while standing over them. the first two weeks are the worst. I worried alot when I got that letter until I received a second one explaining the first one. So try not too worry as I did.