Illinois Prison Talk
News:
Welcome to ILLINOIS PRISON TALK,  www.illinoisprisontalk.org -  A Family Support Forum and Information Center for those interacting with the Illinois Department of Corrections.  IPT members are comprised of family/friends of inmates, prison reform activists, ex-offenders, prisoner rights advocates and others interested in the well-being of Illinois prisoners. We encourage open discussion but please be tolerant of other's opinions.   This website is protected by Copyright © 2006-2014.  All rights reserved. There are some private forums that require registration, please register.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. November 24, 2014, 10:03:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: MENARD Correctional Center  (Read 103405 times)
chantygirl

« Reply #260 on: September 21, 2012, 11:17:56 AM »

That's the Reids Inn.  They're great and all, but, they're costing me a fortune.  I was working on a free night with best western points from there.  The rewards program says you can get a free night at 9000 points, but, doesn't tell you that it's not at all best westerns.  I was stoked thinking I had a free night coming this trip down (I have 9200 points).  Turns out, I need 18000 to get a free night at that particular one, and I didn't plan on having to pay for two nights  wc5.  With gas prices being the way they are, and the trip being over 300 miles, even saving 20 bucks on the hotel is money I can put on the card at the visit, or in the gas tank.  It's a catch 22.  If the hotel doesn't have a fridge in the room, and a continental breakfast, I spend a fortune eating out for every meal.  If there's a fridge I can save money by taking my own food, but the room costs more.

krstlcmpbll

« Reply #261 on: November 05, 2012, 01:05:34 PM »

Hi,
I am new to all of this and I just have a few questions. Any info at all would be appreciated. He is still in reception if that helps.
Do they tell the inmates when they have money on their commissary accounts?
How often can an inmate change phone/visitor lists?
Will the counselors there talk to people who are not immediate family?

Thank you for your answers
Kristi
chantygirl

« Reply #262 on: November 05, 2012, 02:03:36 PM »

Well, I can answer with Menard rules.  When they're in reception, I don't believe they can go to commisary.  Someone who's went through R&C at Menard will have to answer that one.  They do tell the inmates when money is deposited into their accounts though.  I'm just thinking that they can't shop yet.   

The inmate can change their phone/visitor list as often as they like.  The thing is, it takes (sometimes) up to 3 months to have a new number approved onto their list.  And, when they add a name to the visitor list, they have to redo the entire list–not just the persons name they're adding. 

The counselors will talk to people who aren't immediate family.  I've called and talked to counselors on multiple occasions, and I'm no relation.  They just won't talk to you about medical issues without the correct forms being filled out. 

krstlcmpbll

« Reply #263 on: November 05, 2012, 02:07:37 PM »

Thank you so much
MissAndrea

« Reply #264 on: February 03, 2013, 01:45:05 PM »

On March 1, Pepsi is installing new vending card machines so we'll all have to buy a new card. The price of the card will still be the same.

~damnant quod non intellegunt~ They condemn what they do not understand.
jaf

« Reply #265 on: February 03, 2013, 02:51:51 PM »

I emailed the Hospitality House in Chester, and they said they'd be glad to distribute any cards we'd like to send there, to Menard visitors who stay at their place this month. 

I hate that people have to lose their money, but at least ths way they can be used!

Here's the address:

Hospitality House
hospitalityhouse.yolasite.com/
Hospitality House Phone: 120 Ferry Street 618-826-9810. Chester, IL 62233.
Email: hospitalityhousechester@gmail.com
MissAndrea

« Reply #266 on: February 12, 2013, 12:19:05 AM »

Awwww, that's so sweet of you to contact them. And you're right, it is a shame, but paying it forward is never a bad thing. :)

Gizgirl2

« Reply #267 on: March 02, 2013, 07:50:43 AM »

I dont know if im posting this in the right topic if not im sorry.

Is there a limit on the amount of money they can have in there account since they are on L/D ? Is everyone sending money Jpay or Western Union because of mail being so far behind?

MissAndrea

« Reply #268 on: March 05, 2013, 08:25:04 PM »

To my knowledge, a lockdown doesn't affect the money that can be applied to their account.

I send money through WU. I like them because of the Gold Card benefits.

momsusan

« Reply #269 on: April 13, 2013, 11:22:38 AM »

Can you mail books and magazines in bubble wrap envelopes to Menard? I see that some don't accept them....ugghh I forgot how much fun this whole mailing process is.
TimeStandsStill
Mod Squad

« Reply #270 on: April 13, 2013, 01:12:39 PM »

Can you mail books and magazines in bubble wrap envelopes to Menard? I see that some don't accept them....ugghh I forgot how much fun this whole mailing process is.

Bubble wrap envelopes have always been questionable.  I wouldn't take the chance since the mail always seems to be behind the way it is.  Play it safe and just use a plain manila envelope without any type of padding.
momsusan

« Reply #271 on: April 30, 2013, 07:08:42 PM »

Does anyone know when they go to commissary? Is it just once a month? Also can anyone tell me how much a TV is?
MrsW

« Reply #272 on: May 01, 2013, 05:36:29 AM »

My husband is at Stateville, but I'm assuming TV cost the same or close to; at all facilities.. I don't know the exact price, I can ask him when I visit today, but I know it was over 200.00 when he bought a replacement last month.
chantygirl

« Reply #273 on: May 01, 2013, 06:55:09 AM »

Does anyone know when they go to commissary? Is it just once a month? Also can anyone tell me how much a TV is?

My l/o bought one of the flatscreens last year.  His was right around $220.  I can't make promises that the price didn't change though.

momsusan

« Reply #274 on: May 01, 2013, 05:54:45 PM »

THanks for the replies  wc38
olivebug

« Reply #275 on: October 03, 2013, 09:42:19 AM »

bat
HI, I wanted to let people know that at Menard the mail is slow, as I have read here before. I got 2 letters finally from my lo and he wrote them 9 days earlier. I am not sure how slow incoming mail is since he hasn't mentioned anything from my letters. Also, some info the lady at reception told me. She said he is allowed to spend money off his books during reception for postage and paper. I was so happy to read his letters. It was by far the highlight of my day. I just can't wait for that first call to come in.  wc71-1
JustaNJgirl

« Reply #276 on: December 03, 2013, 02:16:01 PM »

Anyone else not getting mail?  or the mail is SUPER slow getting out?
chantygirl

« Reply #277 on: December 03, 2013, 07:25:26 PM »

Anyone else not getting mail?  or the mail is SUPER slow getting out?

Since it's December, the mail will likely get REALLY slow, getting out and going in.  One year, I sent out a Christmas card directly after Thanksgiving, and he didn't get it until the week before Christmas.  We've been talking on the phone a couple times a week, so, we haven't been writing.  But, for the last 4 years that's the trend (I'm sure it's been going on longer, but, I've only been dealing with it for 4 years). 

JustaNJgirl

« Reply #278 on: December 23, 2013, 09:29:35 PM »

He mailed me a letter dated Oct 12th, I got it the week of thanksgiving.  However I mailed him 3 letters and he got them within 10 days.  So who knows how long it takes. 
pats

« Reply #279 on: January 01, 2014, 12:37:09 PM »

Mine gets Christmas cards right up until Valentines Day.  They say they are short handed due to the State having no money.  It is sad for the guys though who are sometimes waiting for important mail or notifications.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: