• October 21, 2018, 10:59:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to ILLINOIS PRISON TALK, www.illinoisprisontalk.org - A Family Support Forum and Information Center for those interacting with the Illinois Department of Corrections. IPT members are comprised of family/friends of inmates, prison reform activists, ex-offenders, prisoner rights advocates and others interested in the well-being of Illinois prisoners. We encourage open discussion but please be tolerant of other's opinions. This website is protected by Copyright © 2006-2018. All rights reserved. There are some private forums that require registration, please register.

Author Topic: Dog Laws for Felons ....  (Read 75614 times)

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
Re: Dog Laws for Felons ....
« Reply #80 on: February 20, 2011, 03:08:07 PM »
Thanks everyone. We have 2 little weiner dogs that are nuetered & vaccinated. Hopefully - no problem.

I love weiner dogs, have two myself and had no problems with them!  Good Luck!
Do not value the "things" you have in your life - value "who" you have in your life....

“Instead of thinking about what you're missing, try thinking about what you have that everyone else is missing.”

Offline lvanrs2

• Lvanrs2
  • Support Staff
« Reply #81 on: February 21, 2011, 06:16:04 AM »
Some PO's will enforce this law to the maximum and other PO's may be more lax.  I would just take a cue the PO gives concerning your dogs when the PO makes his/her home visit.  The PO will definitely let you know what they expect out of the parolee.
There is no action better at creating insanity in a person than trying to control something you have no control over.

Only do whatever you are willing to pay the consequences for.

Offline JDsMom

• RettWilliams Facebook
« Reply #82 on: February 21, 2011, 01:57:50 PM »
Most of the dogs they are concerned with are what they deem "vicious (sp) breeds", such as the Pit Bull, Doberman, German Shephard, along those breed lines. Some PO's do require they pets be microchipped, some don't. I had a Black Lab, and he was not neutered, or microchipped, and was not told he had to be. So I think it is up to the PO. Good Luck!
"WICOH'ON OTEHIKE"........Cherokee language, means The Difficult Path

Offline Istateblues

« Reply #83 on: May 24, 2011, 08:36:20 AM »
Ok so we have a dog but live in Maryland and my wife will be home in about 8 months its a pitbull but we have had him for 9 years  since a pup
He is microchiped and neuterd. Will she not be allowed to have him, do the parole laws in illinois affect Maryland too or do they go state by state?

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #84 on: May 24, 2011, 03:23:55 PM »
Ok so we have a dog but live in Maryland and my wife will be home in about 8 months its a pitbull but we have had him for 9 years  since a pup
He is microchiped and neuterd. Will she not be allowed to have him, do the parole laws in illinois affect Maryland too or do they go state by state?

Is your wife coming to Maryland on Interstate Compact AGreement?  If so,then find out what your laws are there for dogs, it would be different then here in Illinois.
Do not value the "things" you have in your life - value "who" you have in your life....

“Instead of thinking about what you're missing, try thinking about what you have that everyone else is missing.”

Offline Istateblues

« Reply #85 on: May 25, 2011, 01:20:07 PM »
She is coming home on Parole as long as the state accepts her there is no reason why They shouldn't we live here all her family is here.This is were we reside.

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #86 on: May 25, 2011, 01:22:21 PM »
She is coming home on Parole as long as the state accepts her there is no reason why They shouldn't we live here all her family is here.This is were we reside.

Yes, but you need to have a Interstate Compact Agreement in place before she would be allowed to come to another state to do her parole.

Check out this link for our Interstate Compact Board:

http://www.illinoisprisontalk.org/index.php/board,31.0.html

Offline Istateblues

« Reply #87 on: May 25, 2011, 07:54:36 PM »
Ok then yes, she is applying for this. I'm sorry I am kinda new to this, I did just send a letter, she asked me to write about taking financial responsibility and to aid her in her supervision to a counselor at Decatur Prison. So we are working on that as of now. So back to my question about the dog because she is really worried that they will make us get rid of him and we just cant do that he is old and a part of the family, its not like we just got him a week ago.

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #88 on: May 25, 2011, 07:56:31 PM »
You are going to have to check your state rules for parolees and dogs. Not sure if they have a website with this information, or you'll have to call them.

Offline browser

« Reply #89 on: April 12, 2012, 03:19:41 PM »
The PO made us remove our dog before he would approve the house for our son to parole to - we are devastated.  We live on 2+ acres and they won't even agree to have the dog in a locked kennel on our property.  Our neighbor has agreed to let the dog be kenneled on his property.  Is this a bad idea?

Offline destinswife

« Reply #90 on: April 12, 2012, 03:31:17 PM »
This is something we just dealt with and it was one of the charges they wanted to charge my husband with. The law indicates the dog has to be spayed or nuetured and has to be micro chipped. The dog can not be considered a visious dog either like a pit bull, even though all pit bulls are not visious.

(720 ILCS 5/12-36)
    Sec. 12-36. Possession of unsterilized or vicious dogs by felons prohibited.
    (a) For a period of 10 years commencing upon the release of a person from incarceration, it is unlawful for a person convicted of a forcible felony, a felony violation of the Humane Care for Animals Act, a felony violation of Section 26-5 of this Code, a felony violation of Article 24 of this Code, a felony violation of Class 3 or higher of the Illinois Controlled Substances Act, a felony violation of Class 3 or higher of the Cannabis Control Act, or a felony violation of Class 2 or higher of the Methamphetamine Control and Community Protection Act, to knowingly own, possess, have custody of, or reside in a residence with, either:
        (1) an unspayed or unneutered dog or puppy older than 
     12 weeks of age; or

(2) irrespective of whether the dog has been spayed 
     or neutered, any dog that has been determined to be a vicious dog under Section 15 of the Animal Control Act.

(b) Any dog owned, possessed by, or in the custody of a person convicted of a felony, as described in subsection (a), must be microchipped for permanent identification.
    (c) Sentence. A person who violates this Section is guilty of a Class A misdemeanor.
    (d) It is an affirmative defense to prosecution under this Section that the dog in question is neutered or spayed, or that the dog in question was neutered or spayed within 7 days of the defendant being charged with a violation of this Section. Medical records from, or the certificate of, a doctor of veterinary medicine licensed to practice in the State of Illinois who has personally examined or operated upon the dog, unambiguously indicating whether the dog in question has been spayed or neutered, shall be prima facie true and correct, and shall be sufficient evidence of whether the dog in question has been spayed or neutered. This subsection (d) is not applicable to any dog that has been determined to be a vicious dog under Section 15 of the Animal Control Act.
(Source: P.A. 96-185, eff. 1-1-10.)

Offline LSlater0227

« Reply #91 on: April 12, 2012, 03:36:35 PM »
Do these rules ONLY apply to those that have been convicted under the Humane care for Animals Act or any of the drug offense acts?  I have a almost 2-year old pit bull that is not fixed or chipped but the conviction was not for a violent act or drug offense.

Thanks in advance,

L.

Offline destinswife

« Reply #92 on: April 12, 2012, 03:41:43 PM »
From what they kept telling us it does not matter what the felon is charged with if you are a felon you have to abide by the law. We told them we had never heard of the law and they said "well we blame the probation/parole officers for that because they are suppose to tell each felon and fail to do so at times." The way I read the law I thought the dog had to weigh over a certain weight and she said nope they all have to be fixed and micro chipped reguardless of their size.

Offline browser

« Reply #93 on: April 12, 2012, 03:51:03 PM »
Our dog is neutered and chipped but they consider him vicious. 

Offline destinswife

« Reply #94 on: April 12, 2012, 03:54:55 PM »
Well that isn't right. Is there any record of the dog being visious? Because I think you can fight that if your dog has never harmed anyone or any other animal.

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #95 on: April 12, 2012, 03:55:13 PM »
This is all normal and it all depends on your PO .. some PO's are fine with dogs, not being fixed etc and others make you follow the rules to the T, and some have had them removed from the property. 

It is a LAW!!

Browser, sorry to hear they made you remove your dog, I don't think there is much you can do.

Offline Dazzler

• Editor-in-Chief
  • Administrator
  • Retired News Reporter ~ Prison Reform Advocate
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #96 on: April 12, 2012, 04:02:35 PM »
PO's and other law enforcement must have access to your home at any hour of the day or night...some are afraid of dogs...this is an individual decision by each parole office and if they are afraid of dogs they enforce it....
~ "I have visited some of the best and the worst prisons and have never seen signs of coddling, but I have seen the terrible results of the boredom and frustration of empty hours and pointless existence." ~ US Supreme Court Justice Warren Burger

~ "An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind."
~ Mahatma Gandhi

Offline browser

« Reply #97 on: April 12, 2012, 04:03:40 PM »
If we have him in a kennel on our neighbors property do you think there's anything they can do about it?

Offline Dazzler

• Editor-in-Chief
  • Administrator
  • Retired News Reporter ~ Prison Reform Advocate
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #98 on: April 12, 2012, 04:07:19 PM »
Have they seen the dog?  I can't see what it would hurt if it was boarded there....just keep it quiet in case...the dog's off your property...
~ "I have visited some of the best and the worst prisons and have never seen signs of coddling, but I have seen the terrible results of the boredom and frustration of empty hours and pointless existence." ~ US Supreme Court Justice Warren Burger

~ "An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind."
~ Mahatma Gandhi

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk