• December 11, 2018, 11:43:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to ILLINOIS PRISON TALK, www.illinoisprisontalk.org - A Family Support Forum and Information Center for those interacting with the Illinois Department of Corrections. IPT members are comprised of family/friends of inmates, prison reform activists, ex-offenders, prisoner rights advocates and others interested in the well-being of Illinois prisoners. We encourage open discussion but please be tolerant of other's opinions. This website is protected by Copyright © 2006-2018. All rights reserved. There are some private forums that require registration, please register.

Author Topic: Dog Laws for Felons ....  (Read 76970 times)

Offline becca

Re: Dog Laws for Felons ....
« Reply #40 on: March 24, 2010, 04:59:11 PM »
Hey  Hisgirl---my yorkie  also  attacks our vacuum cleaner  haha. But AFTER he chases our cat out the room. I mean he is furious about it.  When I tell him to stop he will but he is not happy about it.  I think it is the high pitch noise he does not like.  I like when when we go for a walk  if I don't go his way (to see another dog)  he will grab the leash line and shake and shake it  growling like "I am so mad at you right now".  haha.

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #41 on: March 25, 2010, 08:26:00 AM »
That may be what is on the law books but I will tell you most PO's enforce that dog law no matter the conviction as the PO's set the rules for their parolees.

You are right Ivans, it all depends on the PO and what *they* tell you to do. We've had members with little dogs being told to have them taken care of and others that were never bothered.  As is the case with everything IDOC, nothing is consistent!
Do not value the "things" you have in your life - value "who" you have in your life....

“Instead of thinking about what you're missing, try thinking about what you have that everyone else is missing.”

Offline Dazzler

• Editor-in-Chief
  • Administrator
  • Retired News Reporter ~ Prison Reform Advocate
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #42 on: March 25, 2010, 08:39:13 AM »
I just double checked to make sure I had posted the text of this statute and I did on the first page of this thread.  It clearly states which offenses are required to spay their dogs.  The next section is for paroled felons, stating they must all be microchipped.  Seems simple enough to me...
~ "I have visited some of the best and the worst prisons and have never seen signs of coddling, but I have seen the terrible results of the boredom and frustration of empty hours and pointless existence." ~ US Supreme Court Justice Warren Burger

~ "An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind."
~ Mahatma Gandhi

Offline toodles

• pat aronson
« Reply #43 on: April 18, 2010, 10:22:29 AM »
It is stated on my LO release paper's that he can not be around Pittbull's and rottweilers.I wish i had one when they rearrested him and that surely would have really been a violation.I couldn't believe it was on the paper's but i saw it.I meant so they could bite them agent's in their you know what.I didn't mean for him to get rearrested but that at least would of been a cause instead how they made up their own   Lie's

Offline Dazzler

• Editor-in-Chief
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #44 on: April 18, 2010, 10:39:08 AM »
Surely you're joking....they will get violated for having these dogs.  They are often trained to kill and PO's and other IDOC personnel can't risk entering a home with these dogs....that's why it's on the parole rules. 
~ "I have visited some of the best and the worst prisons and have never seen signs of coddling, but I have seen the terrible results of the boredom and frustration of empty hours and pointless existence." ~ US Supreme Court Justice Warren Burger

~ Mahatma Gandhi

Offline toodles

• pat aronson
« Reply #45 on: April 18, 2010, 11:04:02 AM »
I know that but I thougt at first it was because of the felon .Like you can't have guns in the household.Which i understand.But i thought a dog?Yes you are right for the fact if a pittbull attack's a P.O,they have every right to pull their gun on it.

Offline DansDad

« Reply #46 on: May 02, 2010, 01:33:22 AM »
so does this mean that my son will not be able to visit my house while he is on parole since i have a Pit bull and im not going to chip him or fix him..my address IS NOT going to be his parole address

Offline Dazzler

• Editor-in-Chief
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #47 on: May 02, 2010, 09:18:14 AM »
If your son is not living with you and there's no danger to any IDOC personnel by coming to your home I don't think this will apply to your son.  I have my animals microchipped just because I don't want to ever lose them and they've been fixed for their own health. 

~ Mahatma Gandhi

Offline rocirel

« Reply #48 on: May 02, 2010, 09:38:48 AM »
If you contact your local animal control ,they give out free neutering and spading coupons to have your animal fixed.Also the only charge $15.00 for a microchip.Just thought i would tell everyone in case money is tight.

Offline Dazzler

• Editor-in-Chief
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #49 on: May 02, 2010, 09:43:13 AM »
Some places do...not in DuPage county.  I paid $50 per chip and $300 per dog for neutering.  They stopped offering free spaying/neutering.  Cook County is much cheaper though.

~ Mahatma Gandhi

Offline seaturtle

• Once in a Lifetime you find the One that completes you.
  • Rest in the arms of the Dragon.
« Reply #50 on: May 02, 2010, 09:27:57 PM »
TAILS Humane Society in DeKalb IL offers low cost spays and neuters to the public and $15 microchipping.  We just opened our new Training and Veterinary Center for just this purpose.  Hope that helps anyone in that/my area.

This brings me to my question.  I have read all of the posts from this thread and Section 15.  I have a major concern and confusion about this.  I am the on-staff animal behaviorist for TAILS Humane Society and also have a private animal behavior therapy company.  I am on the look out for a new "working dog" and have decided I would like a Pit Bull as I am also a huge advocate/educator for the Pit Bull/Bully Breed plight.

So my question is this, I was not able to find in Section 15 anywhere did it specifically say "Pit Bull" or "Rott".  It stated that a parolee may not be paroled to house that has a "vicious" dog.  It does give a detailed description of a vicious dog but that description is not breed specific.  So, they cannot be  paroled to a house where there is a Pit?  Or a dog that has been deemed vicious by the county's Animal Control?

The spay/neuter & micro chipping does not bother me as my two current dogs came from TAILS.  But one is an Old English Bull dog, is this considered a Bully/Pit/vicious dog because of the breed?

This causes me great concern for obvious reasons on top of the fact that yet again I see legislation that is prejudice against Pits.

Help clear this up for me Dazz!!!  Please!!!  Thanks!
Once in a Lifetime you find the One that completes you.  <3

Offline Marks_guy

• Support Staff
« Reply #51 on: May 03, 2010, 04:21:29 PM »
Though most of us know better, there are some breeds that have been labeled vicious by society and legislatures. Pits, dobermans, and german shepards pop to mind first. I don't know if a PO would make an exception if one of those were a service dog. It's worth finding out. But there are no bad dogs, just bad owners. Imagine the walking disaster Daz's brilliant Bo might be if she hadn't taken the time to focus his energy.

Everytime I read through this thread, I start thinking about how our loved ones are a lot like the animals beeing discussed. Like these lovable dogs, they are stuck being thought of as these horrible creatures. It's a crying shame so many people think of them as dangerous beasts not worth saving.

Offline Dazzler

• Editor-in-Chief
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #52 on: May 03, 2010, 09:05:16 PM »
I believe somewhere I read a list of the top ten most vicious dogs.  I raised Chows for many years and they were on this list.  I was surprised to learn that Dalmations weren't very nice either.  It has so much to do with their training.  Pit bulls that are bred and raised to be vicious give them all a bad rap.  I don't know what you mean by 'working dog'?  If you are referring to a service dog I don't know if that would be exempt from the IDOC's rules.  Service animals are not considered to be dogs.  They have all the legal rights as their handlers.  Service dogs are also not vicious. 

If you are talking about a 'Daddy' like Cesar Milan's dog....one that he uses to adjust behaviors in other dogs, that's not a service animal.  The dog that the Pit Boss uses is a service dog.  He's used for protection and to carry things for the little person.  Therapy dogs are not service dogs either.  They aren't covered under the Americans with Disabilities Act as service dogs are.  It's a federal offense to not allow access to a service dog....including on airliners, restaurants, cabs, grocery stores, doctor's offices, hospitals..anywhere the owner is allowed.  I image that would include prisons too.  Hmm, maybe someday I can test this theory....LOL.

Now if this pit bull has exemplary behavior you might be able to pass him off as a service animal while the parole officer is at your home.  This whole law is because many inmates own vicious dogs...the PO's are afraid to enter the home.  If they do a sweep of residences they don't want to be met by a vicious animal that might harm them. 

LOL...I have to laugh because if they came to my house they wouldn't have to worry about Bo...they'd better worry about my 30 pound cockapoo....he'll tear them up if they just walk in the house.  He's a fabulous watchdog, but as gentle as a lamb if he knows you....

I wonder if most PO's enforce this rule.  When J's PO came for the home visit my dogs were all over her...including my big Chow at the time...she didn't mind them at all...

~ Mahatma Gandhi

Offline Dazzler

• Editor-in-Chief
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #53 on: May 03, 2010, 09:11:33 PM »
This is taken from the Animal Control Act, Section 15:

"Guide dogs for the blind or hearing impaired, support dogs for the physically handicapped, and sentry, guard, or police-owned dogs are exempt from this Section; provided, an attack or injury to a person occurs while the dog is performing duties as expected. To qualify for exemption under this Section, each such dog shall be currently inoculated against rabies in accordance with Section 8 of this Act. It shall be the duty of the owner of such exempted dog to notify the Administrator of changes of address. In the case of a sentry or guard dog, the owner shall keep the Administrator advised of the location where such dog will be stationed. The Administrator shall provide police and fire departments with a categorized list of such exempted dogs, and shall promptly notify such departments of any address changes reported to him."

~ Mahatma Gandhi

Offline Dazzler

• Editor-in-Chief
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #54 on: May 03, 2010, 09:15:35 PM »
If you read Section 15 closely I think you can interpret it to mean any dog that has been involved in incidents in the past and was deemed 'vicious' by a veterinarian.  That would include any breed that had bitten or otherwise injured someone.  I think if your dog is well-behaved and not threatening and it's microchipped it should be okay. 

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<Does that face look vicious?  LOL

~ Mahatma Gandhi

Offline seaturtle

« Reply #55 on: May 03, 2010, 09:21:55 PM »
Thank you for the information Dazz.  Being in the industry I am in for the past 20 years, I already know all of this...but thank you!  I am sure it will be helpful to others.  My "working" dog will not be a service, therapy or guard dog of any kind.  I simply need a dog to demonstrate behaviors and cues for my students and any demonstration I might have.  My current Great Dane and Bulldog are much too lazy and spoiled to qualify!   :wc1:

So, it sounds as if it will be up to the particular PO that gets assigned what is deemed vicious or not.  One of the earlier posts here said that DeKalb County doesn't even enforce this law.  I am in DeKalb county.  Let's hope.  I am just looking to avoid causing problems for my LO when he returns and I certainly don't want to bring a dog into my house to love, train and spoil (did you honestly think I wouldn't? LOL) only to have to return it to the shelter in a year.

I have my eye on this wonderful 3 legged Pit that shows lots of promise.  I just don't want to break her heart, my heart and my children's heart in a year if a PO decided he/she doesn't like my dog.  Should have guessed there would be no concrete answer....seems to be the way with IDOC.

Thanks so much! :wc71-1:

Offline seaturtle

« Reply #56 on: May 03, 2010, 09:24:37 PM »
and....by the way.  Chows did hit the top ten for most likely to bite, along with the beloved Golden Retriever.  Go figure.  Pit Bulls actually fall somewhere around 50th.

:wc1:

Offline Dazzler

• Editor-in-Chief
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #57 on: May 03, 2010, 09:25:12 PM »
Top Ten (10) Most Dangerous Dog Breeds

All dogs can be potentially dangerous, however some dogs are more dangerous than others. Various types of breeds can be considerably stronger and larger than a person of average size. Training, socialization and proper care can make a significant impact, however some dogs are by years of breeding more aggressive. After in depth research and analyzing the studies performed by the American Veterinary Medical Association, the CDC, and the Humane Society of the United States, we have compiled the top ten most dangerous dog breeds.

10. Dalmatian

Dalmatians are very protective dogs and can be aggressive towards humans. They are very active and need lots of exercise. They have very sensitive natures and an excellent memory. This bred is famed for their intelligence, indepedence, and survival instincts.

Weight: 40-70 lbs.
Origin: Yugoslavia

9. Boxer

Unlike their name suggest, these dogs are not typically aggressive by nature. They are bright, energetic and playful breed. Boxers have been known to be "headstrong", which makes it a bit difficult to train them but with positive reinforcement techniques, Boxers often respond much better.

Weight: 50-70 lbs.
Origin: Germany

8. Presa Canario

Originally bred to guard and fight with cattle, an attack by this dog has been described as hopeless for the victim. They are a guardian breed with man-stopping ability, incredible power and a complete lack of fear.

Weight: 80-115 lbs.
Origin: Canary Islands

7. Chow Chow

These dogs can be aggressive if poorly bred. The Chow Chow may appear to be independent and aloof for much of the day but needs constant reinforcement.

Weight: 50-70 lbs.
Origin: China

6. Doberman Pinschers

Dobermans are great guard dogs for their alertness, intelligence and loyalty. They can be agressive dogs when provoked. The typical pet Doberman attacks only if it believes that it, its property, or its family are in danger.

Weight: 65-90 lbs.

5. Alaskan Malamutes

These dogs are very energetic and active. If they are bored, they can become destructive. That's why this dog needs lots of exercise to be happy.

Weight: 75-100 lbs.
Origin: Nordic

4. Huskies

Very energetic and intelligent dogs. Not considered a good guard dog because of its personality characteristics and gentle temperament. A 2000 study of dog bites resulting in human fatalities in the U.S. found fifteen such fatalities (6% of the total) were caused by "husky-type" dogs between 1979 and 1997.

Weight: 44-66 lbs.
Origin: Alaska

3. German Shepherds

These dogs are intelligent and very alert. They are highly used by local authorities such as the police K-9 unit. German shepherds are known to be fearless and confident dogs.

Weight: 70-100 lbs.

2. Rottweilers

Rottweilers are known to be very aggressive dogs because of their keen territorial instincts. That's why they make great guard dogs.

Weight: 100-130 lbs.

1. Pit Bulls

A pit bull is a fearless dog that will take on any opponent. They will lock their jaws onto the prey until it's dead. Pit bulls have a reputation of mauling people to death and they are highly sought for dog fighting.

Weight: 55-65 lbs.
Origin: United States

Dogs most often make wonderful pets, however in certain circumstances, any type of dog can be dangerous. Even friendly dogs, can inflict great harm in the wrong circumstance.

~ Mahatma Gandhi

Offline Dazzler

• Editor-in-Chief
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #58 on: May 03, 2010, 09:30:26 PM »
I've had five chow chows, two boxers, one shepherd and one husky-shepherd mix and they are all getting a bad rap....some of the best dogs I ever owned...

~ Mahatma Gandhi

Offline BRLC

« Reply #59 on: May 04, 2010, 07:28:05 PM »
Yeah, what the hell!  We have 2 boxers and they are the best trained dogs in our neighborhood, hell in the town. I don't think the AVMA knows what they are talking about, JERKS!