• October 21, 2018, 10:59:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to ILLINOIS PRISON TALK, www.illinoisprisontalk.org - A Family Support Forum and Information Center for those interacting with the Illinois Department of Corrections. IPT members are comprised of family/friends of inmates, prison reform activists, ex-offenders, prisoner rights advocates and others interested in the well-being of Illinois prisoners. We encourage open discussion but please be tolerant of other's opinions. This website is protected by Copyright © 2006-2018. All rights reserved. There are some private forums that require registration, please register.

Author Topic: Dog Laws for Felons ....  (Read 75613 times)

Offline jsmom

Re: Dog Laws for Felons ....
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2008, 08:27:27 PM »
Last time son's PO visited our dog a dalmatian mix came running to the door & the PO was just concerned that he might get out the door. Never said a word otherwise  &*&
Live for today
Laugh for the moment
Love forever

Offline SMD

• Account Closed
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2008, 09:13:16 PM »
We have are big lap dog Rott microchipped, Our Shih Tzu also just encase... So hope we have everything in order now..

Offline brummieg1rl

« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2009, 10:07:38 AM »
So I thought I would post here and not start a new thread as my experience pertains to having a dog while on parole! Last night we got a visit from the parole officer @ about 11pm. We were out walking the dogs. Essentially he had stopped by to check to see if we had the paper work showing the dogs were neutered and microchiped. I kept walking with the dogs as they are a little enthusiastic when meeting new people. The parole officer told my husband had we not had the paperwork he would have taken him to prison. This man obviously likes his job a little too much. So I guess the lesson from this is cross every t and dot every i!I should explain that on the first visit from the parole officer i could only find the paper work for one of the dogs. They are both shelter dogs, so i went back to the shelter to get a copy of they other dogs records. I did not think they would make a big deal out of it but i am glad i did follow through.

Offline dbaby_1982

« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2009, 03:41:14 PM »
Was checkin in, thought I'd share my experience. Randy's PO stopped by today since he got out yesterday and didn't mention the dog, other than ask if he bites and to pet him. He's a Shih Tzu, so he said fixing him and the microchip(which he has), wouldn't be a problem. Guess like everything else, depends on the person.

Offline IloveDCfrombooneco

« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2010, 03:06:55 PM »
So I am really ******** about this whole thing, we have 2 dogs in our household, had them before my L/O was sentenced. Our dog is a Shepard and our oldest sons dog is a mix of lab/boxer, never bite anyone, and now I have to get them microchipped and fixed before my man comes home, WTH, like we don't have other major concerns while there gone, like taking care of all the bills, repairs on the house that our men did, taking care of our kids, lets add some more b.s. to our plates. Honestly this should be on one of those dumb law websites. Sorry had to vent and get it all out!! :wc95:

Offline lvanrs2

• Lvanrs2
  • Support Staff
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2010, 05:44:06 PM »
I believe the law, when started, was only meant to pertain to a breed that was deemed viscious.  However, I would imagine that somebody somewhere trained a cute cuddly dog into something that would bite on demand and therefore no matter how small and cuddly the dog may be, it can be used as a weapon in that sense.  I have a small rat terrior ( 5 pounds dripping wet ) for petes sake and my parole officer at the time told me the same thing and that was years ago.
There is no action better at creating insanity in a person than trying to control something you have no control over.

Only do whatever you are willing to pay the consequences for.

Offline HisGirl

• Author/Freelance Writer
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2010, 12:31:22 AM »
I guess Dekalb County ignores this kind of thing. When my son came home a few times I had a number of pitbulls residing on my property, and nothing was ever said about this. But then I don't think Dekalb county has ever solved a murder either. LOL

I just feel it is so wrong to call any animal a weapon unless it is a mountain lion or something like that :-). The real reason they do it, I believe, is that they are afraid of dogs. LOL
Live Simply, Love Generously, Care Deeply, Speak Kindly, and Leave the Rest to God.

Offline allgone

« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2010, 08:55:56 AM »
I just feel it is so wrong to call any animal a weapon unless it is a mountain lion or something like that :-). The real reason they do it, I believe, is that they are afraid of dogs. LOL

Sadly there are many people in this world that train their dogs to be monsters by maltreatment.  They do become weapons and can be very dangerous.  I'd guess that is what made this rule come about.

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2010, 09:00:59 AM »
Not all dogs have to be microchiped, the PO will let you know when they come out prior to an inmates release!
Do not value the "things" you have in your life - value "who" you have in your life....

“Instead of thinking about what you're missing, try thinking about what you have that everyone else is missing.”

Offline HisGirl

• Author/Freelance Writer
« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2010, 11:35:07 PM »
Just out of curiosity, how old is this law? It is something relatively new. And I do hope they don't microchip Yorkshire Terriers. Although, one lady I used to clean for had a really cute little guy named Tev. And he hated and attacked my vaccume cleaner. He was quite vicious when he saw it LOL
Live Simply, Love Generously, Care Deeply, Speak Kindly, and Leave the Rest to God.

Offline lvanrs2

• Lvanrs2
  • Support Staff
« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2010, 06:32:04 AM »
I believe the law has been on the books for a few years.  I have not been on parole for years but I was aware of the law through my PO and my husband was aware in 2005.
There is no action better at creating insanity in a person than trying to control something you have no control over.

Offline sadgrl199

« Reply #31 on: March 24, 2010, 12:44:29 PM »
Okay have a ?
Regarding the Dog Law Thing
I have 2 dogs One is a golden retriver who is a rescue dog and another is a husky whom is a rescue also.
Now? is this my husky is a jumper and a licker plus a sniffer lol.. But the retriver is the protecter whom is really nosey and wants to see all. But the golden has to be muzzled bc since he has been with us for only 1 1/2 he is still very scarey and weird. I dont know really what to do they both are chipped and both nuetured and stuff i just worry about the golden retriever. So do u think they will let me keep him muzzled or say he could not parole there bc of that. So worried about this:wc17:.. Any info that can be given will be helpful. TY Ladies ...

Offline Dazzler

• Editor-in-Chief
  • Administrator
  • Retired News Reporter ~ Prison Reform Advocate
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #32 on: March 24, 2010, 12:48:35 PM »
I'd just muzzle the one when the PO comes to visit.  I don't think retrievers are on the dangerous dog list....
~ "I have visited some of the best and the worst prisons and have never seen signs of coddling, but I have seen the terrible results of the boredom and frustration of empty hours and pointless existence." ~ US Supreme Court Justice Warren Burger

~ "An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind."
~ Mahatma Gandhi

Offline brummieg1rl

« Reply #33 on: March 24, 2010, 12:55:17 PM »
Our PO told me to have a crate for both dogs. Because for anyreason they needed to search the dogs the dogs would be out of the way!
You could use a crate as an alternative option.

Offline agoodson1020

« Reply #34 on: March 24, 2010, 01:28:15 PM »
This law does not apply to all convicted felons. 

Offline lvanrs2

• Lvanrs2
  • Support Staff
« Reply #35 on: March 24, 2010, 01:31:20 PM »
I believe this law does apply to all convicted felons while on parole.  I was only in prison (years ago) for a bad check and was required to follow that guideline.

Offline agoodson1020

« Reply #36 on: March 24, 2010, 01:31:45 PM »
Sorry...hit post instead on preview...here is the rest of my comment.

This law only applies to the following parolees...

a person convicted of a forcible felony
a felony violation of the Humane Care for Animals Act
a felony violation of Article 24 of the Criminal Code of 1961 (dangerous weapon)
a felony violation of Class 3 or higher of the Illinois Controlled Substances Act
a felony violation of Class 3 or higher of the Cannabis Control Act
a felony violation of Class 2 or higher of the Methamphetamine Control and Community Protection Act

Offline lvanrs2

• Lvanrs2
  • Support Staff
« Reply #37 on: March 24, 2010, 01:34:03 PM »
That may be what is on the law books but I will tell you most PO's enforce that dog law no matter the conviction as the PO's set the rules for their parolees.

Offline sadgrl199

« Reply #38 on: March 24, 2010, 02:30:23 PM »
Thank You For all the helpful info regarding this matter i was stressing about this one. I didn't want any type of problems he has waited to long to hear he couldn't come home bc of the dogs. But i like the crate idea. Plus the muzzle one i will start getting the dog used to the idea that they will be crated and muzzeled bc now they just have free roam so this is going to be a big change we have 16 months to get the dogs ready for this one. Wish me luck cause i really dont wanna get rid of my baby's :(

Offline newby725

« Reply #39 on: March 24, 2010, 03:14:50 PM »
I got my yorkie micro chipped just in case. It only cost 30.00 so it was well worth it not to have a chance at a violation. I don't want to give them any reason to take my son back!