• October 20, 2018, 06:16:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to ILLINOIS PRISON TALK, www.illinoisprisontalk.org - A Family Support Forum and Information Center for those interacting with the Illinois Department of Corrections. IPT members are comprised of family/friends of inmates, prison reform activists, ex-offenders, prisoner rights advocates and others interested in the well-being of Illinois prisoners. We encourage open discussion but please be tolerant of other's opinions. This website is protected by Copyright © 2006-2018. All rights reserved. There are some private forums that require registration, please register.

Author Topic: Dog Laws for Felons ....  (Read 75554 times)

Offline LSlater0227

Re: Dog Laws for Felons ....
« Reply #100 on: April 12, 2012, 08:34:55 PM »
Thank you Mah.

I have never had a problem with my dog. She is never off her leash or out of my sight. I'm hoping those two items in addition to having her fixed and chipped will be enough.

My 8-year old son has had 2 of the dogs that he has grown up with die in the past year and a half and even overhearing me talk about getting rid of her devastates him.

Offline lvanrs2

• Lvanrs2
  • Support Staff
« Reply #101 on: April 13, 2012, 09:08:49 PM »
This picture next to my profile is my dog.  She is a 5 pound rat terrior and wouldn't hurt a fly but I remember my parole officer way back when wanted me to have her fixed and chipped.  I thought he was out of his mind!!!  I did have her fixed but never had her micro-chipped.  Maddie has been my constant copmanion for many years.  Does she look viscious to anyone LOL.  She runs from her dam reflection in the mirror     :wc15:  However the other dog we had I had to get rid of.
There is no action better at creating insanity in a person than trying to control something you have no control over.

Only do whatever you are willing to pay the consequences for.

Offline wifey

« Reply #102 on: July 08, 2012, 08:13:57 AM »
Sorry if this is redundant, but can an SO live in a home with a dog that has been neutered and is microchipped if the dog is not vicious?

Offline Marks_guy

• Support Staff
« Reply #103 on: July 08, 2012, 08:42:31 AM »
It all depends on the PO. Some of them have no problems with dogs, and others don't want them anywhere around.

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #104 on: July 08, 2012, 12:05:32 PM »
Sorry if this is redundant, but can an SO live in a home with a dog that has been neutered and is microchipped if the dog is not vicious?

There are no specific dog laws for SO's, the law is for all offenders and if the dog is considered to be vicious under the law, they are to be microchipped and neutered. It applies to certain dogs and convictions, but  it could depend on the PO and how they must feel about dogs.  We have some members on IPT, that have had no problems with their dogs, while others had to go through the process of being chipped and neutered, from a Rottie to a Yorkie ....

Here is the link to the full Animal Control Act:

http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/ilcs/ilcs3.asp?ActID=1704&ChapAct=510%C2%A0ILCS%C2%A05/&ChapterID=41&ChapterName=ANIMALS&ActName=Animal+Control+Act

It applies to certain dogs and certain felonies committed by parolee:

a person convicted of a forcible felony
a felony violation of the Humane Care for Animals Act
a felony violation of Article 24 of the Criminal Code of 1961 (dangerous weapon)
a felony violation of Class 3 or higher of the Illinois Controlled Substances Act
a felony violation of Class 3 or higher of the Cannabis Control Act
a felony violation of Class 2 or higher of the Methamphetamine Control and Community Protection Act
Do not value the "things" you have in your life - value "who" you have in your life....

“Instead of thinking about what you're missing, try thinking about what you have that everyone else is missing.”

Offline Jackster

• Mary Kay
« Reply #105 on: November 11, 2013, 10:04:36 PM »
Is there a limit to how many dogs you can have?

Offline sadmommy0610

« Reply #106 on: November 11, 2013, 11:20:22 PM »
Hi, so I was wondering whats going to happen as far as my pets go... my boyfriend gets home from bootcamp February 2014 & I wanna make sure everything goes smoothly for him to parole here. we have a 3 year old german shepard/chow mix that's fixed. & we have a 1 1/2 year old german shepard/chow/lab mix who is not fixed. is this okay? if not what do I have to do to make it okay?

Offline Marks_guy

• Support Staff
« Reply #107 on: November 11, 2013, 11:31:54 PM »
The parole officer gets to make the decisions regarding dogs allowed. He/she may want your other dog fixed, and/or both dogs micro-chipped. Since a PO can show up at your house at any time, they may want the dogs to be chained up outside. You'll have to wait for the PO to give their specific rules.

Offline sadmommy0610

« Reply #108 on: November 12, 2013, 08:22:16 AM »
Okay thank you

Offline Jackster

• Mary Kay
« Reply #109 on: December 23, 2013, 12:04:09 PM »
Is there a specific amount of dogs you are allowed to have?  I have 4 dogs, all little ankle biters, all of them are vaccinated, micro chipped and neutered.

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #110 on: December 23, 2013, 12:22:08 PM »
Is there a specific amount of dogs you are allowed to have?  I have 4 dogs, all little ankle biters, all of them are vaccinated, micro chipped and neutered.
Call  the  Parole # 1-800-666-6744 and ask, I don't think there is a limit.
Do not value the "things" you have in your life - value "who" you have in your life....

“Instead of thinking about what you're missing, try thinking about what you have that everyone else is missing.”

Offline Jackster

• Mary Kay
« Reply #111 on: December 23, 2013, 12:33:15 PM »
ok  :wc38:

Offline tkesde1

« Reply #112 on: July 19, 2016, 09:21:08 AM »
I've read through this post and haven't really gotten my question answered. We recently got a new puppy, Zeus will be 8 weeks old on Saturday. He is a golden retriever/lab mix.  Definitely not a vicious dog, but will be a large dog (about 75 pounds when full grown). I see that the parolee rule is for spay/neuter at 12 weeks, but research indicates that spaying a larger breed dog that young has negative physical effects.  For instance, with Zeus, the concern is that neutering at 1 year old is recommended, 6 months is the earliest the vet would want to neuter him. Neutering too early affects the hormone levels, which in turn keeps the growth plates open on the hind legs causing the legs to overgrow and can lead to an dramatically increased chance of many joint and muscular issues such as hip dysplasia and torn ligaments. Our pets are our babies, other than Zeus, they are spayed/neutered & microchipped. They go to the vet on a regular basis and we feed them only the very best foods that research recommends. I really don't want to do his neuter until at least his growth plate has started to close up at 6 months. What is your recommendations for navigating this issue?
He's home!

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #113 on: July 19, 2016, 09:44:26 AM »

Has the PO told you to do this?

Offline tkesde1

« Reply #114 on: July 19, 2016, 10:48:17 AM »
No he has not, we really try not to ask the P.O. questions unless he has stopped by the house (unless it is an emergency), he is so busy and we don't want to add to his load or aggravate him. Honestly, we also get more yes answers if we ask in person, versus putting a call in for a call back to ask a question.  In the meantime, I'm just gathering information for the conversation we will have with him whenever he does come by.
He's home!

Offline LynnW

« Reply #115 on: July 21, 2016, 11:24:03 AM »
I just heard about this law and I'm told that the whole thing depends on the PO. Some counties don't even enforce the law, I think DeKalb is one that doesn't. A lady my daughter works with told her that the PO for her LO said any dog in the home has to be neutered/spayed and microchipped. This PO is enforcing it. Our friend paroled to his daughter's home which is next door to me and they have 2 unruly rescue Pitts! They didn't have to do anything and our friend who was paroled there did his time for possession of a weapon plus drug charges! So go figure! IDOC is inconsistent with everything they do, why should this be any different? lol

Offline zachsmom

• Support Staff
« Reply #116 on: July 21, 2016, 05:34:51 PM »
I just heard about this law and I'm told that the whole thing depends on the PO. Some counties don't even enforce the law, I think DeKalb is one that doesn't. A lady my daughter works with told her that the PO for her LO said any dog in the home has to be neutered/spayed and microchipped. This PO is enforcing it. Our friend paroled to his daughter's home which is next door to me and they have 2 unruly rescue Pitts! They didn't have to do anything and our friend who was paroled there did his time for possession of a weapon plus drug charges! So go figure! IDOC is inconsistent with everything they do, why should this be any different? lol

Just remember an inmates po can change at any time. Better to be safe.