Illinois Prison Talk
News: wc75-1  ILLINOIS PRISON LOCKDOWN STATUS:

MENARD ON LOCKDOWN. CALL BEFORE VISITING.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. August 27, 2014, 03:59:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: SHAWNEE Correctional Center  (Read 43154 times)
Dazzler
Administrator

Retired News Reporter ~ Prison Reform Advocate

« on: March 06, 2006, 09:46:34 AM »

Shawnee Correctional Center 

Allan Martin, Warden 

Facility Data

Shawnee Correctional Center
 Opened: December 1984
 *Operational Capacity: 2,067
 Medium Security Adult Male

*Shawnee Correctional Center Population: 1,823
 *Hardin County Work Camp Population: 181
 *Total Current Population: 2,004
 Average Age: 33
 FY2010 Average Annual Cost Per Inmate: $16,325.00

*As of 5/31/2012. Reflects bed space capacity analysis as outlined in the July 1, 2012 Quarterly Report to the Legislature.

Shawnee Correctional Center is the parent institution for Hardin County Work Camp

Visiting Hours

IDOC Visitation Rules and Information

Visitors to any correctional facility will be required to produce photo identification and verification of date of birth. Please be sure to bring 2 forms of identification with you; these would include a current photo ID such as a driver’s license, a state ID card, government ID card, military ID/driver’s license, or acceptable documentation of non-U.S. citizenship including a current Passport, or Visa, documentation must contain the visitor’s date of birth. Expired forms of identification will not be accepted. Visitors will also be required to provide vehicle information and other pertinent data, such as government identification, official credentials, attorney registration, and or law student certification.

General Population
 8:30 a.m. to 5:30p.m. seven (7) days a week.  Offenders are permitted six (6) visits per month, with no more than two (2) on weekends or holidays.

Visitors arriving after 3pm will be processed, however, from 3pm-4pm, Offender movement is stopped and Offenders will not be allowed to move to the visiting room until movement resumes. Visitors must arrive no later than 1 hour prior to the end of the visiting session. Visits limited to 3 adults at one time

General Population Offenders may have a total of 6 visits per calendar month, up to 4 hours per visit. Visitors may only visit once per day.  Visitors who travel great distances to visit an offender may request extended visits and/or group visits.  These requests should be made sufficiently in advance to the Chief Administrative Officer for consideration and notification or approval or denial.

Segregation

9:00a.m. to 2:00p.m. (daily)

Offenders in Segregation, designated as non-contact visiting restriction, or on room restriction are limited to 2 visits per calendar month, for 1 hour per visit.  Visits are limited to 2 adults at one time, immediate family only; immediate family includes mother, father, child, brother, sister, grandmother or grandfather only.  If a child can be held on an adult visitor's lap, they will not be counted as one of the two (2) visitors.

Additional Information for All Visits
•Persons age 17 years of age and older must be on offender's approved visiting list. Persons age 10 through 16 years of age who are not a member of the offender's immediate family may be allowed to visit only with notarized written consent of parent or guardian.  Immediate family defined as offender's child, sibling, and grandchild, whether step, adopted, half, or whole, and spouses. Persons under age of 17 must be accompanied by an approved visitor who is age 17 or older. Persons under 12 years of age may only be permitted to visit when accompanied by parent or guardian who is an approved visitor or when prior notarized written consent has been given by a parent or guardian who is in the free community for the child to visit when accompanied by a person designated in writing who is an approved visitor and who is at least 17 years of age or older.
•Visitors are required to show photo identification such as a driver's license, a state identification card or acceptable documentation of non-US citizenship including a current passport, Visa, or Matricula, and documentation that includes their date of birth.
•Any person who has been convicted of a criminal offense or who has criminal charges pending, including but not limited to, an individual on bond, parole, mandatory supervised release, or probation or an ex-offender, may visit an offender only with prior written approval of the Warden. Individuals who require such approval must obtain this written approval for EACH visit.
•All visitors, their vehicle, and their property are subject to search.
•The dress code will be strictly enforced. Visitors must be appropriately dressed or the visit will not be permitted at the discretion of the Shift Commander. Inappropriate, revealing clothing is not allowed, such as short skirts or dresses, wrap-around skirts, short shorts, see-through or low cut blouses, break-away pants, Spandex bodysuits, clothing that allows underclothing to be visible, clothes with holes in suggestive areas. Clothing must be in good taste and not advertise or suggest anything illegal, gang-related, or of a sexual nature. With the exception of religious headgear, no hats, gloves, scarves or headbands are allowed.
•Visitors and offenders may not exchange any item during a visit, absent prior approval of Warden.
•Smoking is not permitted at the facility.
•Inappropriate behavior of a visitor or possession of contraband may result in a temporary or permanent visiting restriction. Visitors must follow all rules posted in the visiting room. Contraband discovered in the possession of an offender either during or after a visit will be assumed to have been introduced by the offender's visitor(s).
•The Warden may further restrict or limit visits at any time due to the availability of space and staff, institutional emergencies, lockdowns and for a reasonable period of time thereafter, or for violations of state or federal law or department rules by the offender or visitor. For additional information, contact the Warden's Office at 618-658-8331.

Facility Address

Business Mail:
6665 State Route 146 East
 Vienna, IL 62995

Inmate Mail:
Inmate Name & IDOC#

6665 State Route 146 East
 Vienna, IL 62995

Phone: (618) 658-8331

Fax: (618) 658-4014

Facility Information

The mission statement of Shawnee Correctional Center is to provide for the protection of society through the humane and secure incarceration of adult male offenders, based upon a foundation of legislative and judicial decisions. The administration is committed toward instilling responsibility and mature decision making in its offenders. By providing extensive and high quality educational programs, work assignment opportunities, public service, leisure time activities and religious avenues, the institution is expected to go far beyond the provision of the minimum necessities of food, sanitation, clothing, housing and medical services to the offenders at the facility.

The Shawnee Correctional Center is a medium security adult male facility and is located in rural Johnson County in southern Illinois. The center is also responsible for a satellite facility, the Hardin County Work Camp, located near Cave-in-Rock.

Shawnee Correctional Center consists of a 24 buildings, totaling 369,029 square feet. The living units consist of four X-type units, one receiving and orientation unit, two segregation units and a 16-bed health care unit. The facility sits on 60 acres with 40 acres inside the fence.

Inmate Programs

Academic:
 •ABE (Adult Basic Education)
•GED (General Education Development)

Vocational:
 •Commercial Custodial
•Auto Mechanics
•Youthful Offender Counseling
•Career Technology 

Industries:
•Metal fabrication services, including welding
•Outdoor recreational furniture and specialty fabrication items
•Recycling - Go Green Initiative

Other:
 •Religious Volunteers
•Life Skills
•Drug Education
•Anger Management
•Incarcerated Veterans Transition Program
•Leisure Time Activity
•Chaplaincy
•Library

http://www2.illinois.gov/idoc/facilities/Pages/shawneecorrectionalcenter.aspx

~ "I have visited some of the best and the worst prisons and have never seen signs of coddling, but I have seen the terrible results of the boredom and frustration of empty hours and pointless existence." ~ US Supreme Court Justice Warren Burger

~ "An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind."
~ Mahatma Gandhi
shaynsgirl05

« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2006, 11:39:42 AM »

Shawnee is somewhat decent. Visiting hours are for 4 hours and you must arrive by 1 to get to visit from 1-5 monday through friday. On weekends you need to arrive at 9 am in order to get a full 4 hours in and in the 4-8 session you usually only get 3 hours. There is a hospitality house and the phone number is 618-658-2722. They require at least a weeks notice of reservation. They have all the amenities of a house except a stove but has microwaves. The cost is reasonable $10 a night per room and is for all close institutions. The sister that runs it will tell you of things you need to bring and their hours.

Society prepares the crime, the criminal commits it!
JDsMom

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2006, 03:50:20 PM »

Hi everyone, well I seen today on the IDOC website that my son has been sent to Shawnee CC....from what my hubby says it's a pretty decent facility compared to the ones he's experienced. So at least now I can look forward to visiting him, and getting letters......will update when I know more!  ht

Handle every stressful situation like a dog.
If you can't eat it or play with it, just pee on it and walk away.
dancer
Account Retired

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2007, 01:44:36 PM »

Here is the address of the hospitality house:

Hospitality House of Vienna
504 W Vine St, Vienna IL
618-658-2722

It serves visitors to Shawnee and Vienna,  which are both located in Vienna.
sunshine

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2007, 02:06:43 PM »

My fiancee is being sent to Shawnee, does anyone know how it is there?
rsandelli
Account Retired

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2007, 02:31:29 PM »

My husband was there about 4  years ago.  It wasn't so bad back then, not sure if it's the same now.  The guards were pretty decent at least and there were lots of programs offered.
JDsMom

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2007, 11:04:16 PM »

Hi, my son is at Shawnee.......it's better than alot of places, not too big, and yes most of the staff are courteous to you. The population is about 2000 give or take a few, it is overfilled by about 100+ inmates, so there are issues with overcrowding as in most places these days. Visitation is pretty easy as long as you follow the rules there. You must have two forms of ID, one a photo ID, I used my Insurance card for the other one. You can take cash into the visiting room for the vending machines, $1.00 and $5.00 bills, but no more than $20.00 maximum. There is a change machine, sometimes it is not working, but the machines take dollar bills. You must sit across the table from your loved one, but they do allow holding hands, hugs n kisses. LOL As far as the food goes, my son says " It sucks", so make sure hubby has some commissary money so he can buy himself some snacks etc.
I was also told by a staff member there that the prison houses approx. 90% gang members of one form or another. As long as you keep your nose clean and obey the rules , he shouldn't have any issues with them. My son was recently sent to segregation, the guards found a shank under his cellmates bunk, long story short, his cellie blamed it on my son, so they both got seg and disciplinary ticket, outcome is still pending however, so hopefully it will be resolved soon. I've not heard of any violence by inmates there, other than an occasional fight . Feel free to private message me if you would like to chat, I'll send you my IM's
Take Care!
Hugs,
Rett

JDsMom

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2007, 11:17:31 PM »

Ok, I meant to add the visiting hours and days ........Monday thru Friday 9 am - 5 pm  once a week  Weekends : 9 am -2 pm and 4 pm-8pm, there are two sessions daily on weekends....but if you go to the first session, you cannot go to the second one, you have to wait to come back on Sunday. You are allowed 5 visits per month maximum. You won't be allowed visits until the warden approves his visiting list, which can take up to 3 weeks. You can call and ask for the gatehouse, sometimes the staff will let you know when you have been approved, here's the number (618) 658-8331 , ask for the gatehouse when they answer...So hang in there!
 There is a place in Vienna, which is where Shawnee is located, called the Hospitality House. It is for inmates families to stay the night when visiting , there's a phone number listed here somewhere, maybe someone else can point you to it. It is run by a Christian organization, they ask for a $10.00 donation. You will need to bring your own sheets and pillow cases, and personal items. They provide coffee, snacks, soups. It is in a restored hotel, right by the bus station. There is a main floor which has a living room, with TV, a reading nook with magazines/books, a huge kitchen and dining room, so you can bring your own food, but there is no stove, just a microwave and fridge, coffee pot, dishes etc. Upstairs is the sleeping rooms, you can get a single or a double, there are showers in the rooms. You cannot take any food or drinks upstairs, but you can stay downstairs as long as you like provided you are not being noisy LOL You cannot smoke in the hotel, but you can go outside to smoke, they have chairs outside, there is a deck with a grill you can use, and also a playyard for kids.They are the nicest people I can assure you! Call about a week in advance to register, so that you can book a room. If you ask, they will tell you the quickest route from your area. I live in Central Ill near Bloomington, and it took me about 4 1/2 hours to get to Vienna from here. If you have any more questions feel free to ask!

JDsMom

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2007, 11:18:59 PM »

I found the Hospitality House number LOL here it is :
(618) 658-2722   Also, check out time is Sunday at 9:00 am, as they attend church.

sunshine

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2007, 08:09:26 AM »

Can the second piece of ID be a social security card?  Thanks for all of your help.
JDsMom

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2007, 09:20:43 AM »

Hi Sunshine, I'm not sure what other types of ID they will approve, one must be a drivers license, or state issued photo ID, you can call down there and ask to be sure what they will and will not accept. Ask for the guardhouse/gatehouse, they are the ones who process you in and they are the ones to ask ....

sunshine

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2007, 09:51:29 AM »

Hi there, thanks, I went there this weekend and I used my driver's license and my work Id, the second day, I used just my driver's license. 
sunshine

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2007, 11:19:44 AM »

Who can we talk to about the vending machines, on visit, when there Saturday, machines had a few things in them, but on sunday, they were empty, so we had to eat junk food.  My baby wanted some food, that is ridiciulous, they know families come on weekends. What's up with that?
JDsMom

« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2007, 11:19:40 PM »

It's been that way a few times when I visited, I don't know how often they stock them, but when we visited early (around 9 am, the machines were pretty full on a Saturday).......maybe someone else here has a suggestion.....

dancer
Account Retired

« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2007, 02:37:27 PM »

Just a heads up for anyone wanting to get married at Shawnee.  Sunshine said she had some last minute problems at her wedding.  They told her she  couldn't have  witnesses but then  when the time came,  they required them!  Two visitors came forward to witness.
MDL08

« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2008, 02:01:07 PM »

Can you give me a link for the Shawnee correctional chat? I'm not seeing it? 
Also, could someone tell me a little about their daily "schedules" at Shawnee & how much time per day do they spend in their cells if they are in the general population?  Nephew has been there almost a week now & hoping to hear from him soon!
ernie694

« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2009, 01:56:11 PM »

I called Shawnee yesterday looking for info.   Most of what is in the original post is still correct.  Few additional things i found out

Visiting:   5 visit per Month.  Weekday visits 4 hours, If it isnt crowded sat or sun visit can be up to 4 hours.

Mail:  Right now the mail lady said they were only about 2 days behind.  Rather than tell me what i cold send she said it would be qicker to tell me what i cant.    2 Magazines   The Source and XXL are NOT allowed.   then the norm  no penetrations bondage or gang stuff.

Orientation is on Tuesday.  So the first Tuesday after your LO gets there he will get his paperwork and fill out his visitor list and phone list.  They said 7-10 to get that apporved.

Was told 18/6   that is lock vs out time.   CORRECTION   22 hours locked in cell a day

They get to purchase from commisary weekly.

As i get more info or confirm from my hubby  (when i finally get to talk to him) ill keep you all posted
ernie694

« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2009, 11:12:50 PM »

OK all,  Updated fist hand visting info on Shawnee.

2 forms of ID.    1 MUST be DL or state ID with your current address on it.   the 2nd can NOT be a SScard or credit or debit card.   Has to be something that has a # on it that they can put in the system.   (I got lucky and the check in CO was so nice and let me visit with my DL and SS card but told me next time to bring her something else so she could put it in the system.

Sat AM visit..  Arrvied @ 9 promptly.   finally got back to visiting room about 9:45.    it wasnt too busy.   He walked in at 10:35.     we were allowed to stay til 2pm.  Sunday am crowd was smaller.  Again I arrived just before 9am.   He came into the visiting room at at 9:45.   Visit was allowed til 2pm which is when the morning hours end so we actually got more than 4 hours  :0)

Quarters!!!   Bring Quarters.  $20.00 limit per visit.  no vending card and was told by many there the vending machines dont always like dollar bills.  The vending machines do run out.   Sunday AM there was hardly anything in it.   Someone did show up to fill them around 11am.  trust me he was swarmed.  lol 

OH!!!   OK if you have gotten thru into the visiting room and have to go to the bathrrom    you have to go all the way back out to the front check in.   DONT panic and hold it thinking you will loose a lot of your time.   Youve been frisked they know where you ae coming from and going to.   The just buzz you right thru all the doors both ways.   5 minutes tops for me to take a potty break.   You dont have to re sign in,  get frisked or any of that agian.   

Defiantely stay at Hospitality House.    It looks a lil rough from the outside but it is GREAT.    and 20 a room a night.   Ive paid a whole lot more to stay at roach motels when traveling.   
tatamelove

« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2009, 12:55:27 PM »

im new to all of dis and i was just wonderning>>>>>>>>>>>    my boyfriebd tha fater of my child has been sunt here his sentsnce is 28mnths so his projected parole date is 08 26 2010. He has nver ben to prison before is it a chance dat he could get out earlier den next yr in august and i live in chicago and i hAV no car and want to go visit him and take his daugheter is thea anybody dat no anything????
Dazzler
Administrator

Retired News Reporter ~ Prison Reform Advocate

« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2009, 01:11:33 PM »

Welcome to IPT.  If his sentence is 28 months there's a possibility that he's eligible for 50% good time and he'd be released earlier.  He can also get additional good time for schooling and some programs.

~ "I have visited some of the best and the worst prisons and have never seen signs of coddling, but I have seen the terrible results of the boredom and frustration of empty hours and pointless existence." ~ US Supreme Court Justice Warren Burger

~ "An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind."
~ Mahatma Gandhi
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: