• September 28, 2016, 03:33:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to ILLINOIS PRISON TALK, www.illinoisprisontalk.org - A Family Support Forum and Information Center for those interacting with the Illinois Department of Corrections. IPT members are comprised of family/friends of inmates, prison reform activists, ex-offenders, prisoner rights advocates and others interested in the well-being of Illinois prisoners. We encourage open discussion but please be tolerant of other's opinions. This website is protected by Copyright © 2006-2016. All rights reserved. There are some private forums that require registration, please register.

Author Topic: LAWRENCE Correctional Center  (Read 100286 times)

Offline Dazzler

• Editor-in-Chief
  • Administrator
  • Retired News Reporter ~ Prison Reform Advocate
    • Illinois Prison Talk
LAWRENCE Correctional Center
« on: March 06, 2006, 08:44:33 AM »

Lawrence Correctional Center 

Marc Hodge, Warden 

Facility Data

Lawrence Correctional Center
 Opened: November 2001
 *Operational Capacity: 2,445
 Medium Security Adult Male
 *Current Population: 2,330
 Average Age: 33
 FY2010 Average Annual Cost Per Inmate: $16,585.00

*As of 5/31/2012. Reflects bed space capacity analysis as outlined in the July 1, 2012 Quarterly Report to the Legislature.

Visiting Hours

IDOC Visitation Rules and Information

Visitors to any correctional facility will be required to produce photo identification and verification of date of birth. Please be sure to bring 2 forms of identification with you; these would include a current photo ID such as a driver’s license, a state ID card, government ID card, military ID/driver’s license, or acceptable documentation of non-U.S. citizenship including a current Passport, or Visa, documentation must contain the visitor’s date of birth. Expired forms of identification will not be
 accepted. Visitors will also be required to provide vehicle information and other pertinent data, such as government identification, official credentials, attorney registration, and or law student certification.

Lawrence Correctional Center's Visiting Rules

General Population

8:30 a.m. to 5:30p.m. seven (7) days a week.  Offenders are permitted six (6) visits per month, with no more than two (2) on weekends or holidays.

All visits will be unlimited in length; however, should overcrowding occur, time limits will be established so all visits may be accommodated.

Segregation/Non-Contact Restriction

Daily 9:00a.m. to 2:00p.m.

No visits will be processed more than thirty minutes before the beginning of the visitation session and visitors must be checked in no later than one hour prior to the end of the visiting session.  Please refer to attached Visiting Rules and Regulations for additional visiting information

Facility Address

Business Mail:
 10940 Lawrence Road
 Sumner, IL 62466 

Inmate Mail:
 Inmate Name & IDOC#
 10930 Lawrence Road
 Sumner, IL 62466

Phone: (618) 936-2064
 Fax: (618) 936-2577

Facility Information

The mission of Lawrence Correctional Center is to provide for the protection of society through the humane and secure incarceration of the adult male offenders based upon the foundation of legislative and judicial decisions. The institution's administration is committed toward the instilling of responsibility and mature decision making in its offenders. The institution is expected to go far beyond the provision of the minimum necessities of food, sanitation, clothing, housing and medical services to the offenders of the facility by providing extensive and high quality educational programs, work assignment opportunities, leisure time activities and religious services.

Lawrence Correctional Center is a Medium Security Adult Male facility located in southeastern Illinois. The facility consists of 16 buildings, which comprise more than 364,000 square feet. The warehouse, mailroom, vehicle maintenance and maintenance departments are located outside of the perimeter fence, which assists in the safety and security of the facility. Lawrence Correctional Center consists of approximately 56 acres on a 160-acre sight. The eight housing units are T-design with a segregation unit and health care unit. The facility is ADA (American Disabilities Act) approved and houses several ADA offenders.

Inmate Programs

Academic:
•ABE (Adult Basic Education)
•GED (General Educational Development)

Vocational:
•Commercial Custodial
•Baccalaureate Courses
•Print Management
•Food Service Tech
•Career Technologies

Volunteer Services:
•Chaplaincy
•Tutor Training/Literacy Development
•Story Book Program
•Father’s Initiative

Other:
•Substance Abuse Education
•Leisure Time Activity
•Chaplaincy
•Library
•TRAC I
•Lifestyle Redirection
•Parole School
•Monthly “Hot Topics”
•New Offender Orientation
•Re-Entry Summits

http://www2.illinois.gov/idoc/facilities/Pages/lawrencecorrectionalcenter.aspx
~ "I have visited some of the best and the worst prisons and have never seen signs of coddling, but I have seen the terrible results of the boredom and frustration of empty hours and pointless existence." ~ US Supreme Court Justice Warren Burger

~ "An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind."
~ Mahatma Gandhi

Offline Mywill2015

Re: LAWRENCE Correctional Center
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2015, 11:59:08 PM »
hi , I'm new to this....My friend just got transfer to this facility and I was wondering if anyone knows what day they go for commissary and how long it typically takes for their phone list to be approved and then to make outgoing calls.

Thanks in advance

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2015, 07:09:35 AM »
Welcome .. his phone/visiting lists usually take 2-4 weeks to be approved after they turn them in.

They all have different days/times for commissary, depending on where they are at.  Just make sure he has money on his inmate trust account now so he can go.

Do not value the "things" you have in your life - value "who" you have in your life....

“Instead of thinking about what you're missing, try thinking about what you have that everyone else is missing.”

Offline sarashane

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2015, 03:19:24 PM »
I'm visiting in June. First visit, so excited! Can anyone give  me a more current rundown on visiting? What is the visiting room like? Cafeteria tables and chairs? What's the procedure? :wc38:
I had to go to a prison to find a man who treats me right!

Offline Lu

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2015, 09:56:41 PM »
My son has been at Lawrence for 3 years.   We try to visit about 3 times a year since we are in North Carolina.   We have always had good visits when there.   As with any facility, if you go in with the proper paperwork, dress appropriately, act appreciative and appropriately, then the staff will be very helpful.   Since we come such a distance and during the week, we have always had a full day to visit.  Our last visit ended up on a Saturday and we were one table away from being bumped near the end of the day.   Thankfully, it worked out so we could stay.

Parking lot:   Be prepared to have your car searched when checking in.  You are not allowed to stay in your car and wait or to walk around the parking lot.  Tower guards get nervous!

Checking in:   Come with two ID's, plate number, $0.50 for locker to store your car keys and ID, $5.00 for a vending machine card (refillable), and additional money to put on your vending card.  I understand that the vending machine company has changed since our last visit.  ....  You may have to wait up to an hour before being processed through.  Make sure you use the restroom BEFORE you go to visitation.   It's a hassle to have to come back out to go.   They will search you before you go in.   Male for males and female CO for females.

Visitation Room:   Looks like a school cafeteria with about 15 tables with 4 connected seats at each one.   Seats are numbered "I" (where inmate sits), and 3 for visitors.   Attending CO will tell you where to sit.  You may have to wait awhile before loved one finally gets in there.   He will be allowed to go over to the vending machines ONCE to see what they have.   He must then come and sit down and can not get up again unless he asks permission for restroom break.   They have playing cards (well worn) and some games for children.   Be sure to get a deck of cards when you go in.  This can be a good ice breaker and helps pass the time.  We always raise our hands before making sudden moves.  99% of the CO's have been very nice to us but you can always have that one that has an attitude.

Vending Machine:  As I said earlier, they have a new vending machine company.   We found the machines to be almost empty late in the week.   Things are expensive!   I found that it took about $40 for a day visit (3 people).  That could be less but my son loved to try some different things.  Eat good before you go!!  Hope that things have improved.

Once you leave the check in room and go outside, your visit that day is over.

I hope you have a good visit!!   As a mom, I will tell you that it is a very emotional experience.  You will be allowed to hug them when they come in the room, hold their hands during the visit, and hug again when you leave.   I always cry but realize that our loved ones are trying to hold themselves together and not show too much emotion in front of the guards.   Best wishes!!

Offline Lu

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2015, 10:05:43 PM »
If anyone is looking for a good hotel to stay in while visiting Lawrence, I highly recommend the Holiday Inn Express or the Comfort Inn in Vincennes, IN.   It's about a 15-20 minute drive to the facility.  There is also a nice state park just a few miles from Lawrence if you are interested in camping.

Offline cjm090

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2015, 10:54:30 PM »
Nice summary Lu. My LO isn't at Lawrence but just wanted to say that was nice of you to write all that up. That first visit can be intimidating.

Offline sarashane

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2015, 08:38:28 PM »
 :wc30:

Thanks Lu!
I had to go to a prison to find a man who treats me right!

Offline robina1990

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2015, 09:21:37 AM »
Good Morning! Anyone have Ms. Willie Mae number trying to visit my son in Lawrence.

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2015, 10:05:01 AM »
Good Morning! Anyone have Ms. Willie Mae number trying to visit my son in Lawrence.

Please look on our transportation board here:

http://www.illinoisprisontalk.org/index.php?board=117.0
Do not value the "things" you have in your life - value "who" you have in your life....

“Instead of thinking about what you're missing, try thinking about what you have that everyone else is missing.”