Illinois Prison Talk
News:
Welcome to ILLINOIS PRISON TALK,  www.illinoisprisontalk.org -  A Family Support Forum and Information Center for those interacting with the Illinois Department of Corrections.  IPT members are comprised of family/friends of inmates, prison reform activists, ex-offenders, prisoner rights advocates and others interested in the well-being of Illinois prisoners. We encourage open discussion but please be tolerant of other's opinions.   This website is protected by Copyright © 2006-2014.  All rights reserved. There are some private forums that require registration, please register.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 02, 2014, 01:53:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: LAWRENCE Correctional Center  (Read 64203 times)
Dazzler
Administrator

Retired News Reporter ~ Prison Reform Advocate

« on: March 06, 2006, 09:44:33 AM »

Lawrence Correctional Center 

Marc Hodge, Warden 

Facility Data

Lawrence Correctional Center
 Opened: November 2001
 *Operational Capacity: 2,445
 Medium Security Adult Male
 *Current Population: 2,330
 Average Age: 33
 FY2010 Average Annual Cost Per Inmate: $16,585.00

*As of 5/31/2012. Reflects bed space capacity analysis as outlined in the July 1, 2012 Quarterly Report to the Legislature.

Visiting Hours

IDOC Visitation Rules and Information

Visitors to any correctional facility will be required to produce photo identification and verification of date of birth. Please be sure to bring 2 forms of identification with you; these would include a current photo ID such as a driver’s license, a state ID card, government ID card, military ID/driver’s license, or acceptable documentation of non-U.S. citizenship including a current Passport, or Visa, documentation must contain the visitor’s date of birth. Expired forms of identification will not be
 accepted. Visitors will also be required to provide vehicle information and other pertinent data, such as government identification, official credentials, attorney registration, and or law student certification.

Lawrence Correctional Center's Visiting Rules

General Population

8:30 a.m. to 5:30p.m. seven (7) days a week.  Offenders are permitted six (6) visits per month, with no more than two (2) on weekends or holidays.

All visits will be unlimited in length; however, should overcrowding occur, time limits will be established so all visits may be accommodated.

Segregation/Non-Contact Restriction

Daily 9:00a.m. to 2:00p.m.

No visits will be processed more than thirty minutes before the beginning of the visitation session and visitors must be checked in no later than one hour prior to the end of the visiting session.  Please refer to attached Visiting Rules and Regulations for additional visiting information

Facility Address

Business Mail:
 10940 Lawrence Road
 Sumner, IL 62466 

Inmate Mail:
 Inmate Name & IDOC#
 10930 Lawrence Road
 Sumner, IL 62466

Phone: (618) 936-2064
 Fax: (618) 936-2577

Facility Information

The mission of Lawrence Correctional Center is to provide for the protection of society through the humane and secure incarceration of the adult male offenders based upon the foundation of legislative and judicial decisions. The institution's administration is committed toward the instilling of responsibility and mature decision making in its offenders. The institution is expected to go far beyond the provision of the minimum necessities of food, sanitation, clothing, housing and medical services to the offenders of the facility by providing extensive and high quality educational programs, work assignment opportunities, leisure time activities and religious services.

Lawrence Correctional Center is a Medium Security Adult Male facility located in southeastern Illinois. The facility consists of 16 buildings, which comprise more than 364,000 square feet. The warehouse, mailroom, vehicle maintenance and maintenance departments are located outside of the perimeter fence, which assists in the safety and security of the facility. Lawrence Correctional Center consists of approximately 56 acres on a 160-acre sight. The eight housing units are T-design with a segregation unit and health care unit. The facility is ADA (American Disabilities Act) approved and houses several ADA offenders.

Inmate Programs

Academic:
•ABE (Adult Basic Education)
•GED (General Educational Development)

Vocational:
•Commercial Custodial
•Baccalaureate Courses
•Print Management
•Food Service Tech
•Career Technologies

Volunteer Services:
•Chaplaincy
•Tutor Training/Literacy Development
•Story Book Program
•Father’s Initiative

Other:
•Substance Abuse Education
•Leisure Time Activity
•Chaplaincy
•Library
•TRAC I
•Lifestyle Redirection
•Parole School
•Monthly “Hot Topics”
•New Offender Orientation
•Re-Entry Summits

http://www2.illinois.gov/idoc/facilities/Pages/lawrencecorrectionalcenter.aspx

~ "I have visited some of the best and the worst prisons and have never seen signs of coddling, but I have seen the terrible results of the boredom and frustration of empty hours and pointless existence." ~ US Supreme Court Justice Warren Burger

~ "An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind."
~ Mahatma Gandhi
dancer
Account Retired

« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2006, 08:24:48 PM »

C was moved here from western.  The visiting rules have changed time to time when we visited.  Sometimes we had to call and write ahead of time to get extended visits and other times they said "just ask when you get here".   The first time we went there,  we got 4 hours max, and another time it was 6 hours. 
It is anticeptically clean there,  since it is a very new built prison.  When I visited there,  three years ago,  the vending machines had a nice variety of food.  The pat down procedures there were the strictest I have experienced with them looking in my mouth,  wanting me to raise my tongue up, etc.  no wire bras here.  I had to take my barrettes out of my hair and put them to the side,  go through a metal detector, and then they still took a wand over me for areas it went off because I had metal hooks in my bra!  It did not feel relaxed there.  Couples can do a "real" kiss there. 
Once I stayed at this state park in Sumner,  which is one block away.  It only cost about $7 a night to camp there for three of us.  there was a shower to use close by.  I think it was called Red Hills?  red something. 
One thing that bugged me is that they would not call him for a visit until we got into the visting room ourselves.  Sometimes we were trying to get a quick visit in before driving 13 hours home, and it was still almost an hour from the time we arrived til our visit started, and there would be just hardly anyone there. 
By the way,  Lawrence is the name of the prison, not Lawrenceville.  Lawrence is a mile from the town of Sumner.  it is about 30 miles from Robinson Correctional .
Schmaltzy

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2006, 06:50:25 PM »

Is there any information you can give me about Lawrence?  My husband would like to transfer there and I need to know about the visits.  How long are the visits?  How about the weekends, can you go any weekend? What are the hours?
Thanks

I am my beloved's and my beloved is mine........
swtnsxy513

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2006, 08:47:26 PM »

my fiance is at lawrence and i know everything there is to know. what do you wanna know?

They are always on lockdown. just got off on monday last week after a month.
no pictures but besides that, my visits are always good. it takes a while to get into school.
hes been there a year and just got his ged. theres barely no movement   23/1 most the time. 3 showers a week.
yard 3 days a week
smfchicago

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2006, 09:15:30 PM »

Hello -

I have to  visit a client at Lawrence - do any of you have suggestions for decent hotels that are not too far away? Thanks!
mlk5358

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2006, 11:07:14 PM »

There are at least 3 good choices. The best of which is actually in Indiana. The Super 8 in Vincinnes, Indiana or the Super 8 in Olney. Vincinnes is 20 to 25 minutes east of Lawrence CC on 50 and just under the underpass for the cloverleaf take the next exit south to the light and right a quarter of a mile. This is a clean secure facility with a continental breakfast and a pool. A full service gas station on the lot and several fast food and a Ponderosa and an Applebees a mile east of the Super 8. If you book on line the cost is about $48.00. Be sure to book in advance! The Super 8 in Olney, 15 minutes west of Lawrence CC doesn't have a pool and is across the street from a truckstop..I thought it a little shabby. If you take the first exit into Olney it winds through the country about a mile and a half and one of the first places on the right is a small motel. I don't recall the name. The rooms on the southside of the motel are more modern with A/C and cable, coffee and donuts and juice in the morning, they also have Western Union available. The cost is $40.00 per night.
mlk5358

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2006, 11:20:21 PM »

The visiting hours at Lawrence are:
9am to 6pm M-F       
9am to 7pm S-S and Holidays
There are 5 visits per month, 2 of which can be either a Holidays or a Sat or Sun.

4 hour visits allowed; if you travel 300 miles a 2 hour extension may be granted during the visit. You must ask the first shift visiting room guard who will make a note that you have asked. The second shift guard will then call the CO and let you know if an extension has been granted. Extensions are based on the number of visiters that day and availability in the day room and on the inmates conduct.

The inmate may go to the food machines on his arrival and then inform his visitor of his selections then he must remain seated opisite his visitor for the whole 4 to 6 hours  unless he has to go to the bathroom.

No pictures.

They do have a Bible available for visitors at the desk.

I've always been treated cordially by the staff.

If you are visiting a client they usually provide  you a table to the outer edge of the day room and they have a port on north wall for a laptop. There are 2 seg rooms if you request and the Warden agrees otherwise you may be restricted on what you may bring into the day room. If you are an attorney...Counseling requires 48 hour notice by fax of a visit.
swtnsxy513

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2006, 12:40:30 AM »

where is this place at?...im payin 80 a night at super 8 in olney
Schmaltzy

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2006, 07:56:06 AM »

Thank you so much for the info.  One more question?  Are you at least allowed to hold hands, kiss and hug hello and goodbye?

I am my beloved's and my beloved is mine........
swtnsxy513

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2006, 07:01:43 PM »

yes you are.the co's are pretty decent
mlk5358

« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2006, 11:00:07 PM »

Travelers Inn Motel
(618) 393-2186

1801 E Main St
Olney, IL 62450

Cross Street: Between Hawthorne Dr and S Van St

I have a map but can't get it pasted on  here. It is right off of Hwy 50..the exit winds through the country about 3/4 mile and the turns left..west and one of the first businesses on the left at the east end of town is the Travelers Inn. Remember the rooms at the back the motel are a little more modern and it is more quiet. There is a full service filling station another 2 blocks toward downtown and Olney has a 24 hour Super Walmart.

The better Super 8 is in Vincinnes Indiana.

rsandelli
Account Retired

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2006, 08:30:32 AM »

Has anyone had any experience with hotels in the area?  I am looking for something that is clean but not too pricey.  Also, Dancer you said you had visited and stayed at the state park.  Is it strictly tent camping or do they offer cabins as well?  Since it's getting cold out, I don't know how I'd do over night in a tent by myself.
rsandelli
Account Retired

« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2006, 12:36:34 PM »

Dancer:  do you still have someone at Lawrence?  Can you give me some info please.
rsandelli
Account Retired

« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2006, 09:18:55 AM »

Wow, they really are serious about that four hour time limit!  I visited very recently and we were out the door to the second from when our four hours began.  Luckily the four hours doesn't begin until he enters the room because I had to wait about 40 minutes before he even came.  He didn't know I was coming, so probably it will not take as long in the future.
Jims

Throw Away the Key

« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2007, 09:23:01 PM »

I received a letter from an inmate who used to work with J and was recently transferred to Lawrence. He told me they have a motivational speaker coming in on February 16. He didn't say how many sessions he would give, but that at each session, 100 inmates will be able to attend. They have to apply through the warden and will be chosen by his office.

Also, for Black History Month, they are sponsoring an essay contest. Inmates can write and submit a 100-word essay entitled, "Empowering Our Uniqueness." (100 words??? That's barely an introduction...!)

I wish Menard would have programs such as this.

What's done to children, they will do to society.  ~Karl Menninger
dancer
Account Retired

« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2007, 06:20:53 PM »

Hey we could have our own Menard Contest.    Someone who knows no one at menard could judge the entries.  I'd put in  $10 in April towards a pot. 
WAID

That's me, I'm a TOIL GIRL!!

« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2007, 12:25:07 PM »

Thought I'd share info I had on my visit here for other 1st time visitors.
I'm from sw Chi burbs, took 294S to 80W, 57S to 70E a few miles, then exited on Montrose, straight shot to Clay City on 50 for 30 miles. Which from that point is all 2 lane roads in passing a couple little towns, otherwise I was doing 80 on those roads in nothing but cornfields, so have enough gas to get 30 miles & pray you don't break down. Turned on 50 in Clay City, then it's about 10 miles to rte. 130, just pass a walmart distribution center, which is the big town of Olney. They have a Super 8 motel for $80 or a little down Main St. a cheesier motel, but not really a Bates motel thats only $45. The prison was only bout 10 miles down from Olney east on 50. You'll see 1 correction sign just a hundred yards from the right turn you have to  make, just looks like a new white factory from the aproach but it's surrounded by barbed wire fences when you get on it. Turn in the 2nd entrance & park in visitor lot on the far right. The check in building is small 1 room with bathrooms, you fill out a 1st time visitor form & a form if you bring any publications. I took 5 fat books so I wouldn't have to mail. You need 2 forms of ID, 1 has to be a picture ID. I wore jean shorts & they said can't be 5" higher than the back of your knee for shorts or skirts, they will measure & bring extra outfit, just in case.
The 2 things I found I the hard way, cause I didn't have them, was you need 2 quarters for a locker to lock your car keys & ID or other items you can't get in with, I had to trade dimes with someone. Have to leave your purse in car & they will go out to search your car. Also you need a $5. bill to get a new vending machine card, it'll take any increment after but only accepts the $5 bill to get the card, not single or quarters from change machine next to it if you thought you could change a $10. A thought I had but was stopped cause apparently someone else was then stuck with 10 in quarters before me when it didnt work lol
So I couldn't feed him, but told him better not bitch since I came all that way! Of course I said to the guard, it would be nice if they posted all these rules ahead of time to the guard & although nice, not very helpful & said the inmate should tell you the rules but heres a visitors manual to take on your way out & I'm thinking it's his 1st visit how would he know either about the visitor side lol
Anyway, once they call you through next room you will put your keys & in my case, cash I couldn't spend & extra jewelry in lockers. They do a light body search, remove shoes to check feet, look in your mouth & walk through metal detector. Then they will buzz you outside to walk a fenced path to the next building, you press the doorbell & get buzzed into a small vestibule & then into the visiting room, which looks like a nice cafeteria. Go to the guard desk across the room by the vending machines & he assigns you a table to sit & wait. IM comes through a door on the opposite side, they walk him to the guard desk past you & he gets to view the vending machines alone & then will come to your table. He sits on the chair marked I to face the guards & can't move from your table unless he notifies a guard to go to the bathroom. If you have to go, you tell the guard & you go back outside to the checkin building & have to go through the search again & possibly wait. The guard will aproach & tell you when your time is almost up. You can do a fair amount of kiss & hug on entry & exit then only touch hands/arms across the table rest of time. Then you get buzed through to go back to checkin building to get your stuff out of your locker, sign out & leave.
Hope this helps someone else!

Diamonds ARE a girls best friend.
dancer
Account Retired

« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2007, 01:41:13 PM »

Like the inmate is going to know you need  a $5 bill to buy the card,  and two quarters for the locker!  Please.   Sorry,  I went through that and frankly I didn't even  remember which prisons charge  50 cents,  and which ones  25 cents ( stateville) ( maybe Centralia? and big Muddy?)and which ones have free lockers ( dixon).   They change the machines and costs for the debit cards.  I guess it's good for people to have at least two quarters ,  a  $5 bill for a new card just in case,  plus more  $5s,  $10 or $20's to put on the debit cards. 

The first time at a prison is the worst,  since you don't know all the blankety blank rules!  The staff seem oblivious that the rules are different at each prison.  That deal with the inmate viewing the machines first,  I have only seen at Lawrence.  Lawrence will strip search the guys again if they need to use the toilet!   Other places just pat them down,  like they do the visitors.  After the first visit,  C learned to hold back on fluids!

Thanks for posting this WAID. 
WAID

« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2007, 02:08:14 PM »

Guess it's a live & learn experience cause everyone & every prison is different. I felt nautious the minute I turned down the road & the stuff they were telling or asking me is a blur, cause my mind is wandering a thousand miles a minute asking myself  What Am I Doing here? Guess they all were sympathetic to a 1st time visitor or expected it from a dumb blonde, which was not an act at that moment. ^%$#

Then didn't feel comfortable kissing him on entry with my nerves & watching eyes lol It took me about an hour to say whew, I'm ok now. For the most part, everyone is focused on their own visit to pay any attention to you, but it was nice being the last 1 out & I laid it on him.  *(%$#

WAID

« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2007, 04:11:34 PM »

On visiting Olney: I've taken several routes coming fron Chi. burbs, explored a bit, seen the nearby hotels in Olney & chose Super 8, which was $53 plus taxes in calling ahead for reservation. Found a very nice steakhouse, went to the old timey movie theatre, went shopping, bought a card at Hallmark to put in mail there so he'd get it quick. I also grabbed a local tourist booklet with everything from local wineries & antique outlets to local bed & breakfast , golf courses & dates of festivals through fall of this year if you wanted to make a weekend of it.

Then just a FYI, over abundant public displays of affection, this particular case I saw being an inmate groping & I don't mean grazing or hand resting there accidentally of a visitors rearend, resulted with him in SEG & his visitor banned for 6 months. Otherwise 5 minutes of kissing & hugging is acceptable on entry & exit, my friend would also kiss my hand several times throughout & nothing has been said, so if you've got long enough arms to reach across the table like I do, go for it! lol
Just PM me & I'd be happy to share any of the info. I picked up or have experienced.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: