• December 16, 2018, 09:21:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to ILLINOIS PRISON TALK, www.illinoisprisontalk.org - A Family Support Forum and Information Center for those interacting with the Illinois Department of Corrections. IPT members are comprised of family/friends of inmates, prison reform activists, ex-offenders, prisoner rights advocates and others interested in the well-being of Illinois prisoners. We encourage open discussion but please be tolerant of other's opinions. This website is protected by Copyright 2006-2018. All rights reserved. There are some private forums that require registration, please register.

Author Topic: TAYLORVILLE Correctional Center  (Read 50240 times)

Offline trauma4us

Re: TAYLORVILLE Correctional Center
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2018, 07:53:25 AM »
Hi there - my son has been at Tville for <4 years now:

1. Programs: drug program has been stopped - contract lost by IDOC. They do have SO treatment still (as far as I know). My son also tells me there is AA, NA.
2. Education - Lakeland College is there. Offering 3-4 classes per semester.
3. Jobs - depends. My son is third shift porter. Jobs change every year.
4. It is minimum security and STG-free (no gangs, no gang tats or affiliations). This does limit the number that can go there. Very few fights - pretty low key.
5. Dorms - so they are allowed out to dayroom pretty much all day. Very few lockdowns
6. Visiting - 7 times per month for up to 5 hours. Only 3 can be weekend/holidays. Again very relaxed but do mind the dress code as they are very strict due to many SO's. Children especially must be completely covered. We take our grandson and we always make sure he has a long shirt on and that his pants are pulled up even when he sits down or reaches up. This is for his safety. You are allowed to kiss and hug during the begining and end of visit. Couples can hold hands above the table during visits. Again, don't overdo it because they are quick to kick people out for excessive displays. Vending machines - pretty much IDOC fare except they do have salads often. The visiting room is cold - dress appropriately.

Hope this helps

Online MaryKay

« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2018, 10:14:52 AM »
Just to add that regarding programming unless it has been re-started very, very recently, there is no SO program.

Offline trauma4us

« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2018, 02:12:46 PM »
Thanks MaryKay - my son was saying something that they were ending it but since he's not involved in any program he didn't know for sure.

Offline Lu

« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2018, 05:24:58 PM »
My son just arrived there.  Says it has been a "cultural shock" after being at Western!!  Hope he will be able to get the work or program that he needs as we approach his last year in IDOC!   What does SO mean that you said was cancelled?

Offline trauma4us

« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2018, 07:05:00 PM »
SO - sex offender.

Taylorville was one of the prisons that used to have a sex offender program. However, that has been discontinued. However, there are quite a few SO's there and that is why they are so strict about dress code.

They also used to have a drug program ran by an outside company but that too has been discontinued.

Offline Lu

« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2018, 10:08:03 PM »
Thanks, I should have realized that.  Thankfully, my son did not need that program.