• September 25, 2016, 02:05:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to ILLINOIS PRISON TALK, www.illinoisprisontalk.org - A Family Support Forum and Information Center for those interacting with the Illinois Department of Corrections. IPT members are comprised of family/friends of inmates, prison reform activists, ex-offenders, prisoner rights advocates and others interested in the well-being of Illinois prisoners. We encourage open discussion but please be tolerant of other's opinions. This website is protected by Copyright © 2006-2016. All rights reserved. There are some private forums that require registration, please register.

Author Topic: TAYLORVILLE Correctional Center  (Read 38687 times)

Offline Dazzler

• Editor-in-Chief
  • Administrator
  • Retired News Reporter ~ Prison Reform Advocate
    • Illinois Prison Talk
TAYLORVILLE Correctional Center
« on: March 06, 2006, 08:50:42 AM »
Taylorville Correctional Center  

Lynn Dexheimer, Warden  

Facility Data

Taylorville Correctional Center
 Opened: November 1990
 *Operational Capacity: 1,221
 Minimum Security Adult Male
 *Current Population: 1,189
 Average Age: 37
 FY2010 Average Annual Cost Per Inmate: $19,235.00

*As of 5/31/2012. Reflects bed space capacity analysis as outlined in the July 1, 2012 Quarterly Report to the Legislature.

Visiting Hours

IDOC Visitation Rules and Information

Visitors to any correctional facility will be required to produce photo identification and verification of date of birth. Please be sure to bring 2 forms of identification with you; these would include a current photo ID such as a driver’s license, a state ID card, government ID card, military ID/driver’s license, or acceptable documentation of non-U.S. citizenship including a current Passport, or Visa, documentation must contain the visitor’s date of birth. Expired forms of identification will not be accepted. Visitors will also be required to provide vehicle information and other pertinent data, such as government identification, official credentials, attorney registration, and or law student certification.

Taylorville Correctional Center Visiting Rules and Procedures

General Population
 8:30 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. seven (7) days a week. Offenders are permitted seven (7) visits per month, with no more than three (3) on weekends or state holidays.  Visitors must arrive no later than 6:00p.m.

5 hour time limit on visits; visits may be terminated prior to the five hour time limit if overcrowding occurs.

Orientation Inmates cannot receive visitors from 8:30am - 4:00pm Monday through Wednesday

Segregation and Offenders in C-Grade Classification
 Segregation and inmates in C-Grade classification are allowed two, one hour no contact visits per calendar month. Visitors must arrive no later than 1:00p.m.  No weekend or state holiday visits permitted.

Note: Shift Change is at 3:00p.m.  Visitors are not allowed to come into reception area from 2:30p.m. to 3:15p.m.

Facility Address

Physical Address:
 1144 Illinois Route 29
 Taylorville, IL 62568

Business Mail:
Route 29 South
 P.O. Box 1000
 Taylorville, IL 62568  

Inmate Mail:
Inmate Name & IDOC#
 P.O. Box 1000
 Taylorville, IL 62568  

Phone: (217) 824-4004
 Fax: (217) 824-4042

Facility Information

Taylorville Correctional Center's primary mission is to incarcerate adult offenders assigned to the Taylorville Correctional Center in an environment that is safe, secure and humane for inmates and staff and provide quality programs and services designed to assist offenders in their reintegration to the community.

Taylorville Correctional Center is a Minimum Security Adult Male facility located on Illinois Route 29, 30 miles southeast of Springfield. The facility opened in 1990. In 1995, the facility was designated as a security threat group (STG)-free facility, housing offenders with no affiliations to an STG. Taylorville Correctional Center's experience has been that offenders who are STG-free readily respond to population management techniques and commit fewer rule infractions than those associated with STGs. Also important in managing the population is programs provided by the facility. These programs assist with population management and provide opportunities for inmates to improve their life and work skills to enhance their chance of success upon release.

Inmate Programs

Academic:
•ABE (Adult Basic Education)
•GED (General Education Development)

Vocational:
•Career Technology
•Culinary Arts
•Construction Occupations (Habitat for Humanity)
•Commercial Custodial
•Horticulture

Volunteer Services:
•Alcoholics Anonymous
•Narcotics Anonymous
•Project Storybook (Lutheran Social Services)

Other:
•Lifestyle Redirection (12-week program)
•Substance Abuse (Civigenics)
•Anger Management
•Self Esteem
•Sex Offender Program
•Library/Law Library
•Chaplaincy
•Leisure Time Activity
•Parenting
•Incarcerated Veterans Transition Program
•Group Therapy
•Stress Reduction
•Young Offender (12-week program)

http://www2.illinois.gov/idoc/facilities/Pages/taylorvillecorrectionalcenter.aspx
~ "I have visited some of the best and the worst prisons and have never seen signs of coddling, but I have seen the terrible results of the boredom and frustration of empty hours and pointless existence." ~ US Supreme Court Justice Warren Burger

~ "An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind."
~ Mahatma Gandhi

Offline Marks_guy

• Support Staff
Re: TAYLORVILLE Correctional Center
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2014, 11:37:50 PM »
Just to let everyone know, IDOC/Taylorville has changed the address for inmate mail. Instead of P.O. Box 900, it is now P.O. Box 1000.

Offline trauma4us

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2014, 05:39:24 AM »
 The limit on vending cards, which you have to obtain in the lobby is now $99.  Prices in vending machines range from $1.25 for water to approx $5 for sandwiches.  There are microwaves there also.  Very clean visiting room.

Offline meangene

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2014, 12:05:38 PM »
Going to try to visit my son in Taylorville in the next few weeks.  He said to be aware there have been some changes in the visiting rules.  I can not find anything about that... Does anyone who visits in Taylorville have an idea what he might be talking about?   He said on the forms just be honest and the people who are driving me as I am legally blind and can not drive any longer are his son... who has an old felony and is in the process of getting off probation and my son's girlfriend who is on probation for the same offense for which he is now in prison

Any help will do.

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2014, 01:58:16 PM »
Going to try to visit my son in Taylorville in the next few weeks.  He said to be aware there have been some changes in the visiting rules.  I can not find anything about that... Does anyone who visits in Taylorville have an idea what he might be talking about?   He said on the forms just be honest and the people who are driving me as I am legally blind and can not drive any longer are his son... who has an old felony and is in the process of getting off probation and my son's girlfriend who is on probation for the same offense for which he is now in prison

Any help will do.

They may have to drop you off and leave the grounds of the prison, they are not allowed because of them being on probation unless they have special permission from the warden.  You may want to call and be sure them dropping you off is going to be OK.

Have a good visit.
Do not value the "things" you have in your life - value "who" you have in your life....

“Instead of thinking about what you're missing, try thinking about what you have that everyone else is missing.”

Offline trauma4us

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2014, 02:48:19 PM »
I go at least weekly to Taylorville. Just be honest on the form is my only advice.  The staff I've come in contact with have all been very polite and kind. 

Offline AandMR

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2014, 11:38:56 AM »
There have been changes on visits, they're getting very strict on clothes, follow rules to a T! Also, inmates are no longer allowed to move from their seats, they used to be able to walk to the vending machines and bookshelf, not anymore. Also, one verbal warning on strict one hug one kiss rule, or visitor will be locjed out for a year. Also, if holding hands at the table looks too intimate to CO, then they'll terminate your visit. Idk how bad it is exactly, but I'm on my way there now, I'll let you all know after the visit how it went.
Loverlover

Offline trauma4us

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2014, 09:23:55 PM »
My husband and I visited today.  Our loved one is our son and we are both middle aged so clothing has never been an issue.  There is a paper now at the guard desk in the visitor room now and the guard very politely pointed it out.  It does say that the inmates have to remain seated and are not allowed up to the vending machines nor are they allowed to go to the garbage or to the game/card/books section. 

Our son is no longer allowed to wear his hat over to the visitor room either - that rule has been in effect for a few weeks now.

They have a new assistant warden.

Offline Tex999

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2016, 11:45:02 PM »
Can someone who has a loved one at Taylorville tell me what it is like there? Dorms/ cells/ televisions ?Are classes easy to get into?

Offline trauma4us

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2016, 07:34:01 PM »
My son has been there almost 2 years now.

INMATES:  Dorms - there are 6 of them with two "rooms" in each dorm with 100 men to each "room"  Prison built for 600, houses 1200 

This prison did have a dedicated sex offender program which has since stopped.  They have a large SO population.  There is a voluntary drug program too.  There is a Habitat for Humanity school and horticulture school both of which have LONG wait lists.  Jobs are sometimes available but the good jobs are "handed" down from one inmate to the next.  Overall, like with all prisons,, boredom is the enemy here.

TVs are available for approx $200. 

Minimum security and the only STG (security threat group) free prison in IL which means that prisoners with known gang affiliations, tattoos considered "gang" tattoos do not go there.  They are rarely on lock-down.

VISITORS - You can visit up to 7 times/month for up to 5 hours each time (provided the visiting room isn't overcrowded).  Visiting is getting stricter - be mindful of your clothing:  no jogging pants, no yoga pants, no jeans with ANY holes in them, shirts must have at least half sleeves, no v-necks or if v-neck just a teeny tiny v-neck,  can wear fleece but no full zip ups, only half zip ups, no hoodies.  Be respectful and polite and you should do fine.  Be aware that different CO's have different interpretation of the rules too. 

If you bring kids, be aware that there is no "kid" area, the children need to be able to sit at the table, not run around, no screaming, no playing on the floor.  There are a few well-worn board games, some card games, no TVs.  Vending machines are the standard IDOC ones;  expensive with junk food. However, they do have salads which are sold pretty quickly - lol.  Buy your vending card in the waiting room. Bring a $5 and you will then have $2 on the card.  You can put up to $99 on the card.  We visit frequently (5-6 times/month) and spend $40-60 each time. 

Overall, the CO's are very kind.  We had a very difficult situation last year and knew we would not be able to immediately tell our son but since it involved his son, we called his counselor and they immediately allowed him to call home from their office and then helped him to process this very difficult information.  The counselor even called my husband back the next day to tell us that he would cont to check in with our son to make sure he was doing okay.  I really appreciated that and felt that they went out of their way to be kind.

I always try to look out for new visitors (you can kinda tell by the wide eyes and sometimes the tears) - this never ever gets to be normal but you do get used to it in some weird strange way. 

If I can help further please feel free to PM me.  Take care.

Offline Tex999

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2016, 01:01:42 PM »
Thanks very much