• August 29, 2016, 11:52:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to ILLINOIS PRISON TALK, www.illinoisprisontalk.org - A Family Support Forum and Information Center for those interacting with the Illinois Department of Corrections. IPT members are comprised of family/friends of inmates, prison reform activists, ex-offenders, prisoner rights advocates and others interested in the well-being of Illinois prisoners. We encourage open discussion but please be tolerant of other's opinions. This website is protected by Copyright © 2006-2016. All rights reserved. There are some private forums that require registration, please register.

Author Topic: PINCKNEYVILLE Correctional Center  (Read 91251 times)

Offline Dazzler

• Editor-in-Chief
  • Administrator
  • Retired News Reporter ~ Prison Reform Advocate
    • Illinois Prison Talk
PINCKNEYVILLE Correctional Center
« on: March 06, 2006, 08:51:37 AM »

Pinckneyville Correctional Center 

Donald Gaetz, Warden 

Facility Data

Pinckneyville Correctional Center
 Opened: October 1998
 *Operational Capacity: 2,515
 Medium Security Adult Male
 *Population Pinckneyville Correctional Center: 2,201
 *Population Du Quoin Impact Incarceration Program: 196
 *Total Current Population: 2,397
 Average Age: 34
 FY2010 Average Annual Cost Per Inmate: $17,477.00

*As of 5/31/2012. Reflects bed space capacity analysis as outlined in the July 1, 2012 Quarterly Report to the Legislature.
 Pinckneyville Correctional Center is the parent institution for Du Quoin Impact Incarceration Program (IIP)
Visiting Hours

IDOC Visitation Rules and Information

Visitors to any correctional facility will be required to produce photo identification and verification of date of birth. Please be sure to bring 2 forms of identification with you; these would include a current photo ID such as a driver’s license, a state ID card, government ID card, military ID/driver’s license, or acceptable documentation of non-U.S. citizenship including a current Passport, or Visa, documentation must contain the visitor’s date of birth. Expired forms of identification will not be accepted. Visitors will also be required to provide vehicle information and other pertinent data, such as government identification, official credentials, attorney registration, and or law student certification.

General Population
 8:30 a.m. to 5:30p.m. seven (7) days a week.  Offenders are permitted six (6) visits per month, with no more than two (2) on weekends or holidays.

Segregation
 8:30a.m. to 2:00p.m. daily
 Visitors must arrive by 1:00p.m.

Facility Address

Business Mail:
 5835 State Route 154
 Pinckneyville, IL 62274 

Inmate Mail:
Inmate Name & IDOC#
 P.O. Box 999
 Pinckneyville, IL 62274

Phone: (618) 357-9722
 Fax: (618) 357-2083

Facility Information

The mission of Pinckneyville Correctional Center, as a medium security adult male facility, is to provide for the protection of the public through the humane and secure incarceration of adult male offenders, based upon the foundation of legislative and judicial decisions. The institution's administration is committed toward instilling responsibility and mature decision making in its offenders. By providing extensive and high-quality educational programs, work assignment opportunities, leisure time activities and religious avenues, the goal of the facility is to go far beyond the minimum necessities of food, sanitation, clothing, housing and medical services to the offenders of the facility. The administration and staff of the facility strive to maintain a clean and safe environment for the offender population, encouraging a positive adjustment while acquiring employment skills and educational advancements that will lend to rehabilitation and reduced recidivism. Security measures are maintained to a strict degree to further ensure the safety of the community, offenders and staff. New reentry programming has been established to further encourage the successful transition of its offenders as productive citizens within communities through structured programming.

The center is comprised of 19 buildings, totaling 434,000 square feet, contained on 148 acres of land. The institution consists of five X-design housing units, four of which are strictly dedicated for general population and one which uses two wings housing general population and two wings dedicated as segregation. The center has living accommodations built to American Disabilities Act (ADA) specifications, meeting the needs of its disabled population. A total of 64 beds are reserved for inmates, who are qualified individuals with a disability.

Click here for information about Pinckneyville Correctional Center's sustainability efforts.

Inmate Programs

Academic:
•ABE (Adult Basic Education)
•GED (General Education Development)

Vocational:
•Construction Occupations
•Food Service

Other:
•Reentry Programming
•TRAC I
•Lifestyle Redirection
•Parole School
•Safer Return Program
•Chaplaincy

http://www2.illinois.gov/idoc/facilities/Pages/pinckneyvillecorrectionalcenter.aspx
~ "I have visited some of the best and the worst prisons and have never seen signs of coddling, but I have seen the terrible results of the boredom and frustration of empty hours and pointless existence." ~ US Supreme Court Justice Warren Burger

~ "An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind."
~ Mahatma Gandhi

Offline Curlychris

• ticker factory
Re: PINCKNEYVILLE Correctional Center
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2014, 08:18:13 PM »
Well I'm very new to this prison situation. My hubby was taken to Stateville NRC on Dec 26, 2013. On Fri 1-17-2014 I got a call from Vine that he was transferred to Pinckneyville. I did get 3 letters from him while he was at NRC but I live near there so that maybe why. I sent him 2 letters but not sure if he ever got them. In his last letter he said the wait for a pin # at NRC was 6-8 wks I'm hoping it won't be that long at p-ville. I read that the only way to find out if you are on the approved visitors list is to contact the prisoner. Due to P-ville being 5 hrs away I cannot just take a ride wo confirmation of being approved. The other thing in worried about is we have 3 kids and according to what I'm reading they are only allowed 3 visitors per visit. That would mean 1 child wouldn't be able to visit and that just doesn't seem very fair. Is there any way to have approval for all 3 kids and myself to be approved for a single visit? Or do I just take the chance and hope they will all get to visit? I'm trying not to let this situation bring me down but at this moment I feel so hopeless :'( . Please, any advice would be greatly appreciated! I just feel so alone right now.....
Thank you in advance for any information :wc38:

Offline Sed1971

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2014, 09:17:30 PM »
Well I'm very new to this prison situation. My hubby was taken to Stateville NRC on Dec 26, 2013. On Fri 1-17-2014 I got a call from Vine that he was transferred to Pinckneyville. I did get 3 letters from him while he was at NRC but I live near there so that maybe why. I sent him 2 letters but not sure if he ever got them. In his last letter he said the wait for a pin # at NRC was 6-8 wks I'm hoping it won't be that long at p-ville. I read that the only way to find out if you are on the approved visitors list is to contact the prisoner. Due to P-ville being 5 hrs away I cannot just take a ride wo confirmation of being approved. The other thing in worried about is we have 3 kids and according to what I'm reading they are only allowed 3 visitors per visit. That would mean 1 child wouldn't be able to visit and that just doesn't seem very fair. Is there any way to have approval for all 3 kids and myself to be approved for a single visit? Or do I just take the chance and hope they will all get to visit? I'm trying not to let this situation bring me down but at this moment I feel so hopeless :'( . Please, any advice would be greatly appreciated! I just feel so alone right now.....

You can call the prison and ask to speak with the Gatehouse.  They can tell you if your L/O has a visitors list and if you are on it.  They consider each child that can sit on their own as a visitor.  Depending on the age of your kids and whether you would have to hold one or not if they could all three visit. You can always ask the Gatehouse guards that question as well. 

Offline Curlychris

• ticker factory
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2014, 09:44:05 PM »
We have a 16 yo and 10 yo twins so laps might not be an option. Guess  I'll have to call and talk to the guard shack....greatly appreciate the heads up  :wc18:

Offline jaf

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2014, 10:45:25 PM »

You should call and find out for sure, but I think you'll be able to take all your kids.  I've not been to P'ville, but I've seen a bigger family at Western and they just had a couple of folding chairs pulled up to the table.  I hope you can all go at once!  If not, perhaps you can bring an adult with you, and get a hotel room where the adult could stay with one of the kids while you take 2 to visit, and then the next morning, you could go again to visit with the other one!

Offline summerbeck

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2014, 12:09:49 PM »
I have seen families with 3 children many times.  They have table that accomadate 5 visitors plus inmate.  I believe they only allow 3 adults.

Offline Sunidaze67

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2014, 08:53:53 AM »
Actually your best best is to write a letter to the Warden and explain the situation.  P'ville is very picky.  It's best that you get it pre-approved and in writing.  If you get the approval from the Warden, be sure to take that letter with you when you visit. 

Offline Marks_guy

• Support Staff
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2014, 06:08:45 PM »
IDOC policy is that there can only be 3 visitors at a time. Any child capable of sitting on their own is considered a separate visitor. If you would like to have yourself and all three kids visit at the same time, you will need special permission from the warden. Write them a letter explaining the situation, and hopefully they will approve an exception to the rules. Just keep the approval letter and bring it with you to all future visits.

Calling the gatehouse or counselor to see if you have been approved for visits is a risk. Most will only tell you if there is a list, but not who is on it. There was too much drama in the past, so they stopped giving out that information.

Offline BrandiWatson

• You never know what you have til its gone
  • Missing my man
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2014, 01:11:15 PM »
My friend is in pickneyville and I am wondering something... How much are vending cards and food there? Also I was on my husbands list in vandalia less than a year ago can I still visit my friend in pickneyville?

It's always darker just before the dawn.

Offline beany

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2014, 07:38:45 PM »
Cards a 1.00 sandwiches around 5.00 pop 1.75 I usually put 20.00 on it is always good the next time if you don't use it all. 

Offline summerbeck

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2014, 08:49:56 PM »
You must have a $5 bill to obtain the card from the machine.  If you are planning to visit in a week or more i can mail you mine.  It has around $3 on ot.  My husband was released last friday.

Offline chantygirl

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2015, 08:34:50 AM »
So, my l/o was just transferred to P'ville. He was in max, so, I feel like I'm new to the whole thing again.  Most of this stuff is a year+ old.  Is the information still good?  As far as visits and such.  I know his lists transfer with him, and I'd assume he's not in SEG since he was moved from max to medium.  Just wondering how quickly I could visit, and what to expect.  As far as how long the visits are, is the atmosphere as strict as max, etc?

Offline hamiam

« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2015, 06:55:40 PM »
Chantygirl, my son is in PV.   They can be very picky on dress code.   You get 6 visits a month, with only 2 on a weekend, I don't think the vending machines are anything special but they do have them.  There is a hotel directly across the street that is just ok but there are no other choices except to drive 20 min.
Umm, what else can I tell you, it's a prison and not one of the better ones.  I have not had any guard problems, in fact they have been very nice but like anywhere some are nicer than others.  Tell your  l/o to be aware, they are quick to throw you in seg.

Offline Eeyoreluvr70

• Ride or die...its my choice
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2015, 03:00:48 PM »
Chantygirl, my boyfriend is in PV but is transferring this week. The visits are generally 4 hours unless you receive an extended visit then they are 6 hours. During my experiences there it was a pretty laid back atmosphere. of course there are rules but they weren't hovering over us. we held hands across the table the whole time. i was comfortable  :wc12: