• March 18, 2019, 07:22:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to ILLINOIS PRISON TALK, www.illinoisprisontalk.org - A Family Support Forum and Information Center for those interacting with the Illinois Department of Corrections. IPT members are comprised of family/friends of inmates, prison reform activists, ex-offenders, prisoner rights advocates and others interested in the well-being of Illinois prisoners. We encourage open discussion but please be tolerant of other's opinions. This website is protected by Copyright 2006-2019. All rights reserved. There are some private forums that require registration, please register.

Author Topic: Question about religious head covering  (Read 75 times)

Offline tjade

Question about religious head covering
« on: March 13, 2019, 02:36:41 PM »
Hi, I have a question. I'm wondering if anyone has gone to visit in any religious headcovering? I wear a scarf covering my hair. I wear it wrapped all around my hair or sometimes tied in a bun or wrap. The IDOC website says it's okay to wear "religious headgear" and lists "kufi, yarmulke, turban, habit, or fez" but not headscarf.
Do I need to get approval for it before visiting?
I'm also nervous about how I would be treated wearing a scarf to the facility. any info or experience with this would be helpful, Thanks!

Offline 3tenjen

Re: Question about religious head covering
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2019, 04:39:49 PM »
Visitors may be permitted to wear religious headgear if there is no safety or security concerns, the headgear has been removed and thoroughly searched, the visitor has indicated that the headgear has religious significance, and the headgear is a kufi, yarmulke, turban, habit, or fez.  Headgear other than those specified may be permitted to wear if a written request is submitted to the Chief Administrative Officer at least 10 days prior to the visit and the Chief Administrative Officer approves the request. Failure to submit a timely request shall result in denial of the request.

Offline tjade

Re: Question about religious head covering
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2019, 11:36:52 AM »
 :wc49:
Visitors may be permitted to wear religious headgear if there is no safety or security concerns, the headgear has been removed and thoroughly searched, the visitor has indicated that the headgear has religious significance, and the headgear is a kufi, yarmulke, turban, habit, or fez.  Headgear other than those specified may be permitted to wear if a written request is submitted to the Chief Administrative Officer at least 10 days prior to the visit and the Chief Administrative Officer approves the request. Failure to submit a timely request shall result in denial of the request.

Thanks, this is what I saw on the IDOC site.
I did call the facility and was told I need to write for warden's approval, just to be on the safe side.